Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a load of cr..

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Yes the graphics are still being worked, no the graphics are not bad.  It's more about smaller things that need to be worked out.  But, in all fairness, the devs said that how it works comes first and how pretty it looks comes second.  That was their words (paraphrased) on how development would take place.

They do have things they still need to work on, but in an alpha state, it's actually in a VERY playable state right now.  Im having a ball playing.  Very open sandbox world (and for those PVE'ers like me, there is PLENTY of non-pvp area to explore).  

I think the only thing that will really throw people off is just how much of a sandbox this game is.  I know many people clamor for sandbox games, but do they really want it?  I do and Im VERY happy I put some money into this game.  It is the ultimate sandbox game.

Time will tell if they improve on the finer details, but I think they definitely will.  

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I was a very early adopter to this game, at the $150 level. This game seems like such a over ambitious project where I fear it will never get done. Even though each month you will see walls of text of patch notes it seems like nothing changes.

While they stated the game is feature complete there is still a ton of polish the game needs.... barren zones, mobs just clustered together, mobs (especially melee) that seem to rubberband all over the place while you attempt to engage them, two completely different combat styles that do neither well, and a crafting system you need an advanced degree in science just to make a simple item.

the nail in the coffin is F2P, this and sandbox does not gel well at all. This will open the floodgates for all the haters, griefers, and tourists, bots, spammers to just shit all over the game.

I dunno... I really want this game to be successful, but 2018 is a long time away at the pace they are going. I am sure JC at some point will address this thread and say otherwise but the fact of the matter is this game plays like shit and there are several negative factors about not only the business model they chose but all the the games mechanics.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by lugal
    I think the op should be banned from all beta and alphas. People like him are a cancer. Bad enuff companies selling alpha and beta access and fools buying them.

I think the companies are much more to blame here than players.  They are choosing to put their games out there and sell them than get indignant when we judge the games based on the state they are in.  I really don't know what else they would expect us as players to do?  If they don't want these games judged as finished products than don't sell them as such.  And trying to hide poor quality behind a tagline might work on some of the people but it doesn't fly with me.  

The ones I really love are the paid for beta with a cash shop that are promising no more wipes.  I mean if they wiped progress they would have to give you all the consumables you spent cash shop dollars on back wouldn't they?  Those are not Alpha's or Beta's those are released games that are trying to hide their poor quality behind a tag while still taking consumers money.

This practice only happens because we as a market lets it.  If fewer people excused these kinds of behavior and more people held these greedy short sighted companies accountable for their practices we wouldn't be the sad state we are in today.  As far as I'm concerned once a game starts selling things it's released regardless of what you want to call it's development stage and should be judged as such especially once they announce no more wipes.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by jinxit
    I think the op should be banned from all beta and alphas. People like him are a cancer. Bad enuff companies selling alpha and beta access and fools buying them.

I prefer to think of Early Access as the cancer and people that buy into it as the lesions...

I agree with Iugal, but you probably knew that if you read many of my posts. No legitimate source came along and said, "hey! indies have the right to build massive games without proper funding!". If you're professional enough to engage such a project, you're professional enough to get some legitimate backing, and I mean backing with consequences for failure, not just based on promises to the impulsive public. It's a terrible state, this method of development.

Surprise! A couple of these games are, without a doubt, going to be successful. I imagine that's absolutely true, but here's the rub. This has created an environment so that every Tom, Dick and Harry with a smooth delivery can make promises and give the rest a bad name. This culture of rampant crowdfunding, although it's "good" in premise, is ill with problem participants. We are all contributing to this sick state of affairs, and the more we bury our heads about it, the worse it's going to get.

Some people are smart about it. Some people are altruistic. Most are impulsive and possibly ill in that fashion. I wouldn't feel good if my income came from peoples' problems. I wouldn't feel good contributing to a situation wherein someone's income came from peoples' problems. I don't want this, I don't like it, and I won't play along and say it's ok.

The OP's problem is that he was expecting a full featured game.

And his only complaints are  : 80's graphics  and no updates.

Both of which are bullshit.    And then he says no content.   When the game is designed as a sandbox.

Honestly what was this guy expecting to get from this game for his 40 bucks?   He obviously didn't know the first thing about it, before he plunked down his money.  It doesn't get any dumber than this guy.

And yet we have many others here stating they enjoy the game in its present state and are looking forward to release.   They paid and you don't see them whining like the OP.

And yet you use him as an example of why this bad.   To support how YOU feel.  Thats sad.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I prefer to think of Early Access as the cancer and people that buy into it as the lesions...

I agree with Iugal, but you probably knew that if you read many of my posts. No legitimate source came along and said, "hey! indies have the right to build massive games without proper funding!". If you're professional enough to engage such a project, you're professional enough to get some legitimate backing, and I mean backing with consequences for failure, not just based on promises to the impulsive public. It's a terrible state, this method of development.

Surprise! A couple of these games are, without a doubt, going to be successful. I imagine that's absolutely true, but here's the rub. This has created an environment so that every Tom, Dick and Harry with a smooth delivery can make promises and give the rest a bad name. This culture of rampant crowdfunding, although it's "good" in premise, is ill with problem participants. We are all contributing to this sick state of affairs, and the more we bury our heads about it, the worse it's going to get.

Some people are smart about it. Some people are altruistic. Most are impulsive and possibly ill in that fashion. I wouldn't feel good if my income came from peoples' problems. I wouldn't feel good contributing to a situation wherein someone's income came from peoples' problems. I don't want this, I don't like it, and I won't play along and say it's ok.

Both of which are bullshit.    And then he says no content.   When the game is designed as a sandbox.

Honestly what was this guy expecting to get from this game for his 40 bucks?   He obviously didn't know the first thing about it, before he plunked down his money.  It doesn't get any dumber than this guy.

And yet we have many others here stating they enjoy the game in its present state and are looking forward to release.   They paid and you don't see them whining like the OP.

And yet you use him as an example of why this bad.   To support how YOU feel.  Thats sad. 

Last time I checked $40 will buy you a full featured game.  Why doesn't it in this case?  Are we really at a point where all a company has to do is slap some silly label on a product and excuse anything that is wrong with it?  What possible incentive would the developer ever have to actually call a game released if they can just keep pulling in money from Alpha/Beta and just dismiss any of the flaws in the game as still be "in development"?  

I have no idea what state this game is in right now or if it is or is not enjoyable because frankly I don't take part in paid testing phases anymore as it's a cancer on our industry.  I do find it interesting you call this guy dumb for expecting a actual product after paying the price of a new game where you don't seem to have a issue with spending whatever amounts of money you do on some empty promises that things will get better in the future.  One of you is expecting something for their money and holding the company accountable when they don't deliver and the other is throwing it at a payer.  Now really which of those is the dumb one?

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

Not sure what you're on about, Boneserino. You and Iugal were discussing part of the issue and it organically flowed to the part about which I agree. How, exactly, am I supposed to communicate here something other than what I feel? Should I... fake it and agree with someone else? What's sad about my viewpoint? Is it that I don't like what you like? Why shouldn't I take the opportunity for my consistent platform if the opportunity arises? What did I do wrong here, in your view, to which I somehow have little or no right? If you can't come up with an answer, can you please lay off?

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by udon
    Last time I checked $40 will buy you a full featured game.  

Really... and those folks spending $150 or more for early access to games are getting a full featured game?  Nope.  They're merely spending money on an unfinished game... the only thing you bought was the opportunity to dink around with it NOW.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think anyone who buys into any Early Access game, needs to be aware that its a gamble, you might not get anything in return, you are not after all, buying a finished product. Whether The Repopulation is eventually finished, or at least able to be released in a 'fit' state is still relatively uncertain, though it does seem to be becoming more likely. But just as people who have invested in Molyneauxs games, you have to be aware that things just might not happen, and you might just be buying a dream. Hopefully thats not the case with The Repopulation, but either way, its a gamble, if your willing to risk your own cash on that gamble, fair enough, but don't complain after that they didn't deliver.image

Last time I checked $40 will buy you a full featured game.  Why doesn't it in this case?  Are we really at a point where all a company has to do is slap some silly label on a product and excuse anything that is wrong with it?  What possible incentive would the developer ever have to actually call a game released if they can just keep pulling in money from Alpha/Beta and just dismiss any of the flaws in the game as still be "in development"?  

I have no idea what state this game is in right now or if it is or is not enjoyable because frankly I don't take part in paid testing phases anymore as it's a cancer on our industry.  I do find it interesting you call this guy dumb for expecting a actual product after paying the price of a new game where you don't seem to have a issue with spending whatever amounts of money you do on some empty promises that things will get better in the future.  One of you is expecting something for their money and holding the companies accountable when they don't deliver and the other is throwing it at a payer.  Now really which of those is the dumb one?

I paid the 37 bucks and there was enough game there for me that I don't feel ripped off in any way whatsoever.  And neither should the OP.   Except for the reason he was expecting something other that what was promised.    And you are the one commenting when you actually have no idea what the game offers.   If the OP has criticisms of the game features he saw in the ALHPA, he has a right to criticize.   To blatantly state:   I thought I was getting a full game..... or whatever is just pure BS. 

I agree the price was probably a bit steep.  But the OP was the one who chose to spend without thinking. 

How many people rave about new release games then run out and pay their 60 bucks only to come back on these forums and bitch and whine like the OP because they did not do their homework??   Quite a few in my experience and how is that any different than here?

You don't think its worth the money thats fine.   I felt it was and I have no complaints.  If you don't like the idea, you choose with your wallet.  Thats fine too.   Just don't insult other people for the choices they make.

Originally posted by Pepeq
    Last time I checked $40 will buy you a full featured game.  

Really... and those folks spending $150 or more for early access to games are getting a full featured game?  Nope.  They're merely spending money on an unfinished game... the only thing you bought was the opportunity to dink around with it NOW.

Thats pretty much it Pepeq.

I wanted to dink around with it now and thats what I paid for.    And I dinked around quite a bit with it too.   

I see possibilities with it,  but something about the world just didn't grab me.  Hard to put my finger on it.  I only saw a limited area though.  

I honestly think they are going to have problems with that crafting system the way it is set up now.   However it should help the socialization aspect of the game, because the way I see it, only coordinated crafting guilds will be able to produce anything of value.  

These aren't really bad knocks against the game,  I think it will find its audience, particularly as F2P.   And for the person stating that it will be overrun by the bad elements, I don't think so.    Just the complexity of it and the need for socialization will drive most of them away, I imagine.   Remains to be seen I guess.

Anyway, that was worth 37 bucks to me to see the game with my own eyes, now.

• jadzYajadzYa Member UncommonPosts: 44

I think some of you guys either don't read or have difficulties grasping what you read. So let me try to help:

1. The game DOES NOT have a review of 8.3. It has a HYPE METER of 8.3. HYPE

2. Then when you pay 20,40,100,150, 15000 (freaking $ like some people did for SC) for a game that IS NOT in a released state yet, you don't pay for ANYTHING ELSE but support to developer. You HELP them BUILD the game. You don't have expectations of release time, features or quality regarding pretty much any aspect of the game. You just pay so they can keep building it and in return you are allowed to test the game for free for them, but at the same time add your input and hopefully help steer the game in a direction you would enjoy.

3. The graphics are not from the 80s, but early 00s :D This being said they are acceptable and the game focuses on polishing the relevant features (which are PLENTY) and then worry about your Valentine Day's costumes....

4. MONEY. You don't want to pay for supporting indie studios, but then you complain about cash shops and P2W. I may be naive but an independent indie studio has a bigger chance to not be greedy and if the game is good enough and the cash shop balanced enough to feel they are making enough to keep it not P2W. Involve an equity fund to finance your project and this discussion ends. There is no concept of ENOUGH for those guys. They are in there to milk you to the extreme and move on. 

5. So yes, you need to make educated decisions on the games you support (game site, forums, youtube videos, reviews, etc) and set a maximum you are willing to pay, but just saying that early-access is a plague is imho ignorant. My rule of thumb currently is: indie studios... maybe, if they show REAL promise and an actual product, aaa publishers... hell no.. they will exploit the cash shop anyway even if the game is good and they don't really need my help or will hear my voice.

jad

Intel Extreme Series Core i7 4820K
    ASUS P9X79
    2x G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC SLI
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

I honestly think they are going to have problems with that crafting system the way it is set up now.   However it should help the socialization aspect of the game, because the way I see it, only coordinated crafting guilds will be able to produce anything of value.  

I thought this at first too, but then slowed myself down, got out of the mode of what other MMO's do and started from bottom to top crafting.  It's not that bad at all and most of what you need is pretty easy to get a hold of.  The most complex part is understanding what you need to complete a recipe.  Im currently making my own vehicle (after 3 days of play, maybe 5 hours each day).  I have one more part I need that requires other parts, but Im basically 4/5 of the way completed.  It seems overly complex, but once you jump into it, it's not that bad.

Originally posted by Randayn

I thought this at first too, but then slowed myself down, got out of the mode of what other MMO's do and started from bottom to top crafting.  It's not that bad at all and most of what you need is pretty easy to get a hold of.  The most complex part is understanding what you need to complete a recipe.  Im currently making my own vehicle (after 3 days of play, maybe 5 hours each day).  I have one more part I need that requires other parts, but Im basically 4/5 of the way completed.  It seems overly complex, but once you jump into it, it's not that bad.

Hey thats exactly what I was trying to do, as well!  I saw people selling them and thought well, they aren't very expensive, so they can't be too difficult to make.

But I kept getting to the point where you are.  Ok I made this part and now I need that part.  But to make that part I need to make this part and this part needs those parts.

Wait did I read that right?  Let me look at those menus again.

I never did finish it.

( and these are supposedly just basic recipes, I can't imagine what it gets like the higher you go up the tree)

Hey thats exactly what I was trying to do, as well!  I saw people selling them and thought well, they aren't very expensive, so they can't be too difficult to make.

But I kept getting to the point where you are.  Ok I made this part and now I need that part.  But to make that part I need to make this part and this part needs those parts.

Wait did I read that right?  Let me look at those menus again.

I never did finish it.

( and these are supposedly just basic recipes, I can't imagine what it gets like the higher you go up the tree)

Yeah, the worst ones appear to be for fittings...they are really convoluted.  All of the things you make in the game require alot of patience (I dont have any but am slowly learning :P)

btw, finished my speed bike tonight...I feel like I just made a blind man see...it's VERY rewarding when you complete something.

• jadzYajadzYa Member UncommonPosts: 44
    congratulations! drive safe :D

Intel Extreme Series Core i7 4820K
    ASUS P9X79
    2x G.SKILL RipjawsX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC SLI
    Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The OP's reaction is not unusual or unexpected.

Nowadays, too many people "skim" the details of something and then rush in blindly flinging money ahead of them. When things don't go as planned, they're full of outrage and resort to chargebacks to "punish" the vendor for not delivering a product that lived-up to their imagination of what it would be.

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425

Game is simply horrible:

• Engine is crap,
    • Forced install on your C Drive in %APPDATA% even when you download with steam.
    • Animations are amateurish,
    • Sound is so bad you have to switch it off,
    • UI is the worst i have seen in years,
    • Runs like shit on a GTX970X2, 4K Gaming PC.

Don't waste your time or money, i paid $50 on Kickstarter and i do regret it.

Originally posted by Bascola

Game is simply horrible:

• Engine is crap,
    • Forced install on your C Drive in %APPDATA% even when you download with steam.

I've got to wonder why you were so dissapointed when there were plenty of videos you could have watched to see the game.  I also wonder if you ever read any of the things the devs put out explaining their focus and goals.  Doesn't seem like it.

As for the game itself, I think it's a gem in a pile of crap genre.  It's a true sandbox that isn't just a killing field for FFA PVP like so many others that have been and are being created. 

As for the UI, i disagree...it's fine.  There is nothing special about it, but it's not intrusive on gameplay or gamebreaking...it does its job and does it well.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    $40 in education it seems. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by RexGarvin

I gave my $40 to the Repopulation thinking I was going to get a very good game in beta testing.   What I got was ripped off!!!  Yes I know the game is a work in progress.  Work in progress my a..!!  This game has just enouph content so it can get more money out of its supporters.  I gurantee you this game will never be released.  It will always be in beta stealing money from its supporters!!

This is going to be a slow-to-release game, there's no doubt about it. I know that the TR team frequents here and might be able to comment more, but I believe their team size is probably smaller than most iOS dev teams, let alone MMORPG. Based on their size, they seem like one of the more efficient dev teams I've actually seen recently. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Bascola

Game is simply horrible:

• Engine is crap,

I've got to wonder why you were so dissapointed when there were plenty of videos you could have watched to see the game.  I also wonder if you ever read any of the things the devs put out explaining their focus and goals.  Doesn't seem like it.

Reading comprehension fail. There was not much during Kickstarter buddy. I don't care that i spent $50 on it, it was a long shot, but as much as i like i can't really morally justify to hype this game or say anything good about it.

As for the game itself, I think it's a gem in a pile of crap genre.  It's a true sandbox that isn't just a killing field for FFA PVP like so many others that have been and are being created. 

I don't agree with you on that and it will never get better because the engine is horrible and the artists and developers seem to be incompetent.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I have not / will not ever pay for a game in development. Like my granddad used to say: "I won't buy a pig in a poke".

Translation: I won't pay for something that I can't confirm it's worth. 

btw, finished my speed bike tonight...I feel like I just made a blind man see...it's VERY rewarding when you complete something.

Hey Gratz to you!  I know how much work that was! image

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

The problem with early access lies mostly with gamers.  Some gamers will simply not be able to wrap their head around the fact what "Early Access" is intended for.  It isn't some premium, VIP first access.  Depending on when you buy in, you should expect a game that is very much a work in progress.  It will be buggy, unpolished, and most importantly - far from finished.  If you are expecting anything else, then you are just fooling yourself.

It's intent is to provide funding for games that would otherwise be unable to get funding through traditional means - mostly because of the nature of the concept or nature of the team developing it.  Essentially, Early Access customers are serving as the publisher in this case.  That means that anyone buying into Early Access is inheriting some bit of risk.  If the project fails for whatever reason - then the project never gets completed. 

Developers have to eat too.  They need shelter as well.  If the money runs out, then development will most likely stop as well.  The money will run out for any number of reasons too.  Yes, there are malicious developers out there - but I imagine those will be few and far between.

Contrary to popular belief, the customer is NOT always right.  Far from it.  It goes both ways.  It is easy to complain about the quality of a service or a product.  However, you as a customer should do your research and be knowledgeable about where your spend your money.  It is selfish to expect a 3rd party to be responsible for the transactions you agree to - ESPECIALLY those that are made willy nilly (as was the case here!) 

You should never kickstart a project or buy into early access if you demand that the product exist and that it be in a launch, ready state.  Remember, whenever you "invest" in a kickstarter or early access project - you are the one taking on the risk.  Not the developer.  Not kickstarter.  Not Steam.  Not Valve.  The risk is that the project could fail in some shape or form.

If not every project funded via a traditional publisher succeeds, anyone who gets antsy over a failed kickstarter or early access project is simply ignorant.  Games fail in development all the time - even when funded via traditional means - the same will be true of crowd funded and early access games.