Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm actually glad EQN is unlikely to be released

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Distopia

EQ's real spirit died when it became a major IP in the gaming space, it became whatever may make money at that point..That was long ago.

I think all games can make money, even the smaller ones.. But yeah I agree with the drift of what you're saying, when the focus comes down to maximum return on investment, games change..  Businesses today are all about min/max profits.. It doesn't matter to them that 100 employees can generate 10 million in profits, it comes down to " can we use that same 100 people making 12 million instead by changing the business"..  I think that is why we see so many short lived games..

It is easy when you just make up numbers, but you have cost of employees, cost to develop, space to house game, continued development costs.  What makes you so sure it can get 10 million in profit...and when will that 10 million in profit start, considering they probably have to make up the 100 million to develop and the pay of those employees over that time.

• midnitewolfmidnitewolf Member UncommonPosts: 64

Vanilla EQ was a great game for its time but under no circumstances would it hold up to today's standards.  People just aren't going to tolerate sitting in one spot pulling and grinding for hours and hours so you can be a purist all you want but THAT GAME would not be successful.  

However, slower leveling, harsh death penalties, harder game play, strongly encourage if not required grouping, at least for most content, yes these are all things that have been greatly lacking in current MMOs.  EQN had/has the opportunity to bring all that back while eliminating the things about EQ that weren't any fun or were down right boring.  That is why I was looking forward to it.

Honestly, EQN is about the only upcoming fantasy MMO I was really looking forward to so if it doesn't come out, I guess the MMORPG market is truly dead.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

The Abomination they showed us and labeled EverquestNext is nothing like Everquest. I think we can all agree on that, it is obvious enough.

Not to say EQN would not appeal to some people. Maybe even a lot of people. But saying it is a game for EQ lovers is a HUGE slap in the face. All i saw from EQN is exactly the OPPOSITE i remember my EQ and the OPPOSITE of what i want from a sequel.

Yes i DO want old and "stagnant" mechanics. I joined the MMO genre because i liked those. I left because they removed them from modern games. Staying with stuff that was fun is not exactly bad you know. You can label it stagnation all you want. All the "evolution" we got was and is crap.

Couldn't agree more....

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Well Smedley said the game is still coming out.  He also said it was business as usual when SOE got bought.  Obviously that turned out to not be true.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Originally posted by PottedPlant22
    Well Smedley said the game is still coming out.  He also said it was business as usual when SOE got bought.  Obviously that turned out to not be true.

Some people got screwed. How is that not business as usual?

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Aelious

No matter which EQ you like, or all of them for that matter, you want EQN to succeed as long as DGC holds the EQ IP. Would EQN's demise be a catalyst for the "real" successor to EQ? Um, no, not unless one of the first two iterations they scrapped was far enough along to finish on the cheap.

For fans of the franchise that are disappointed by what EQN is you should still be in it's corner. If, hypothetically, EQN is a hit and infuses DGC with gobs of revenue then maybe they would consider an EQ3 or take one of the first two and revitalize it with Forgelight, Storybricks, etc. I believe there is zero chance of that happening if EQN fails.

I believe the opposite to be true, on the 'extremely remote' chance that EQN somehow releases, and is successful, which probably counts as 2 of the 3 impossible things to believe before breakfast image, i don't think it would in any way help the Everquest 'brand' as it diverges so significantly far from the IP that they could have called it anything they liked and none would have been the wiser. Fans of the franchise would probably be far happier with EQ1 + Modern graphics, end of the day, i know i would be.image

WHile the rest of the gaming space labels it yet again a step toward greater stagnation...

And yet ironically, over 10 million people are still more than willing to play World of Warcraft, but the problem really is that you assume there is stagnation, because so many games are 'dying' particularly the more recent ones, when really its just a sign that players are less likely to put up with 'half baked' or 'shoddy' games etc, than before. There is a difference between stagnation and a 'glut' a rather important one i feel image

I would argue that the key to WoW's long term success is more based upon that Blizzard's fans are playing the game and many have huge times investments into their characters at this point. Every other game that attempted to cash in on the themepark experience as delivered by Blizzard has gone from P2P to F2P. Why would anyone who remotely enjoys WoW play something that is similar to WoW when they can just play WoW itself?

I would say that there is stagnation in the genre, but I also feel your "glut" comment is spot on as well. FF XIV seems to be doing pretty well for itself and I would say that it's a very traditional themepark mmo. I also feel that there is a lot of brand power there as well since Final Fantasy is one of the most popular game franchises in the world. Ironically, FF XIV feels more like a classic FF game than anything that's come out from that franchise recently.

However, I do feel that the idea behind EQN is a good one, if it could deliver on what we have been told. Calling it EQN is a bit of a double edged sword though. The EQ name has a lot of nostalgia and emotion for many people, and since EQN is so divergent from what EQ1 and 2 are, well there is a ton of backlash. However, you also can't blame them for wanting to use brand recognition in order to push a new mmo. If EQN had been presented as a completely new IP, the backlash might not have been as great as it has been.

I do hope that EQN is able to be salvaged and released, if not as EQN, then hopefully many of the ideas behind it can be brought forth via a new game. The emergent gameplay ideas and even the storybricks ideas are good ones.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Horusra

EQ's real spirit died when it became a major IP in the gaming space, it became whatever may make money at that point..That was long ago.

I think all games can make money, even the smaller ones.. But yeah I agree with the drift of what you're saying, when the focus comes down to maximum return on investment, games change..  Businesses today are all about min/max profits.. It doesn't matter to them that 100 employees can generate 10 million in profits, it comes down to " can we use that same 100 people making 12 million instead by changing the business"..  I think that is why we see so many short lived games..

It is easy when you just make up numbers, but you have cost of employees, cost to develop, space to house game, continued development costs.  What makes you so sure it can get 10 million in profit...and when will that 10 million in profit start, considering they probably have to make up the 100 million to develop and the pay of those employees over that time.

OMFG..  Where did I say those numbers are real?  They were hypothetical numbers to illustrate an example..  Grrrr  /facepalm

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by midnitewolf

Vanilla EQ was a great game for its time but under no circumstances would it hold up to today's standards.  People just aren't going to tolerate sitting in one spot pulling and grinding for hours and hours so you can be a purist all you want but THAT GAME would not be successful.  And how many games today even have group content from 1-max level.. I for one get damn TIRED of playing follow the leader, or breadcrumb trail..  We all have our own likes and dislikes..

However, slower leveling, harsh death penalties, harder game play, strongly encourage if not required grouping, at least for most content, yes these are all things that have been greatly lacking in current MMOs.  EQN had/has the opportunity to bring all that back while eliminating the things about EQ that weren't any fun or were down right boring.  That is why I was looking forward to it. And how is that?  Above you bitch about static camping, while IGNORING all the roaming content that justified "tracking", and now you are somehow praising wandering content, that was actually a majority of the vanilla EQ world..

Honestly, EQN is about the only upcoming fantasy MMO I was really looking forward to so if it doesn't come out, I guess the MMORPG market is truly dead.

FYI.. I"m sure EQN will have static locations where groups can FARM content as well..  now what?

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Wolfshead12

I agree. SOE botched EverQuest Next. Everything about it was a slap in the face to EQ veterans and the great legacy of EQ.

The SOE Live event in 2013 was a clever bait and switch scheme that lured EQ vets to show up and then once we got there we were let down when we saw the design of EQ Next. They gutted the lore, they removed levels, the removed the classic class system and pretty much everything that we loved about EQ...all gone.

All of the things that made EQ great were completely IGNORED and instead we got Minecraft and an ugly looking world with cartoonish avatars.

I remember being at SOE Live in 2013 and my heart sank as I watched some of the demos. 

The only good thing about it was the introduction of dynamic content and smart NPCs. That would really help a future version of EQ if the new company is smart enough to take what was good about the proposed EQ Next and combine it with what was good about EQ.

The fact that John Smedley is still there after years without any success in the MMO world is mind boggling.

I really don't understand such stance... had EQ been a continuation of EQ proper, it would mean yet again, more of the same rehash of old systems (that which we bemoan daily around these parts, and hold as proof the genre is stagnated and/or dead). How would that be good at all for anyone to do at this point, no matter the franchise? Whatever it turned out to be it would have to be a deviation from what came before (aka a slap in the face..)

I also have to ask why people consider landmark = EQN (minecraft reference)? I don't even care about either iteration of the franchise and I know that's not accurate...

Not really. They could have still used Storybricks which is what most people find interesting about EQN ( not voxels. Bad idea and ugly IMO ). The previous art style they were using would have been really something to experience but now we are stuck with Free Realms Next / DisneyQuest. 

As an example.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Horusra

OMFG..  Where did I say those numbers are real?  They were hypothetical numbers to illustrate an example..  Grrrr  /facepalm

you illustrated nothing because there is no idea that a game could make 10 million.  You make the assumption all games can make money.  Then you jump to the assumption all games can make profit.  Which is a lie or everyone would be making games.  So yes /facepalm

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    I would say that there is stagnation in the genre, but I also feel your "glut" comment is spot on as well. FF XIV seems to be doing pretty well for itself and I would say that it's a very traditional themepark mmo. I also feel that there is a lot of brand power there as well since Final Fantasy is one of the most popular game franchises in the world. Ironically, FF XIV feels more like a classic FF game than anything that's come out from that franchise recently.

However, I do feel that the idea behind EQN is a good one, if it could deliver on what we have been told. Calling it EQN is a bit of a double edged sword though. The EQ name has a lot of nostalgia and emotion for many people, and since EQN is so divergent from what EQ1 and 2 are, well there is a ton of backlash. However, you also can't blame them for wanting to use brand recognition in order to push a new mmo. If EQN had been presented as a completely new IP, the backlash might not have been as great as it has been.

I do hope that EQN is able to be salvaged and released, if not as EQN, then hopefully many of the ideas behind it can be brought forth via a new game. The emergent gameplay ideas and even the storybricks ideas are good ones.

FF XIV is actually a well done modernized themepark mmo on top of the brand recognition, that is why it is succeeding. Anyone burn out of themepark will get bored of the game though.

As for EQNext, the dev have been clear since day one that they didn't want to cannibalize the two other games playerbase. This played a role in their design decisions. Also, I personally prefer EQNext lore over EQ1/2. Might be because I actually know a lot more about it than for the other two games ...and I play EQ2.

I also get the feeling that they are trying to do the Everquest game they always wanted to do and by that I mean that they seems to be finally able to create the faction system with consequence they always wanted to make and really have ever questing via the AI.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by Broken.Arrow

EQ:N? Just wait for EQ:M - Everquest Mobile. With non-stop in game adverts and flashing cash shop triggers galore. 

Well just throwing darts in the dark here, but something tells me this investment company may have bought out the SOE clowns just for the sake of the IPs and their dreams of making it big in the mobile/app gaming scene - the next best thing for the greedy banker suits.

This is the direction I think they'll take the franchise, some serous money to be made in mobile apps still and the EQ IP could really push a title in that space to the top.

As for EQN, I think it will shift direction some, with a look towards being developed more towards making a solid profit rather than push any creative design envelopes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Kaneth

And yet ironically, over 10 million people are still more than willing to play World of Warcraft, but the problem really is that you assume there is stagnation, because so many games are 'dying' particularly the more recent ones, when really its just a sign that players are less likely to put up with 'half baked' or 'shoddy' games etc, than before. There is a difference between stagnation and a 'glut' a rather important one i feel image

I would argue that the key to WoW's long term success is more based upon that Blizzard's fans are playing the game and many have huge times investments into their characters at this point. Every other game that attempted to cash in on the themepark experience as delivered by Blizzard has gone from P2P to F2P. Why would anyone who remotely enjoys WoW play something that is similar to WoW when they can just play WoW itself?

Have to agree.

Also Wow has made changes since it launched. While the changes are much smaller, it has changed. EQ is just going for a much bigger change which is what this genre needs. Art style is questionable, but the ideas are good.

i could 100% guarantee that half the people saying they want the old 6 hrs grinding one mob will be bored and move on after a month or two. Going back and reliving nostalgic moments are great, but after a while you get bored and move forward again. The game would launch, be a hit for a while, then fade into the background once people have had their fill.

To comment above i doubt they would go for mobile, i heard the other platforms they where talking about where consoles.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Really?  Why do you care if a game gets released or not?  It's not really that well known a franchise to have it's reputation tarnished anyway as the majority of gamers nowadays probably never even heard of it.  I'd wager that most of those that have heard of old school Everquest probably don't care, have moved on, are hoping for Pantheon to be good, or are still playing Everquest.  I don't really see how the outcome of Everquest Next effects them in any way that they'd actually want the game to die before it is even released.

I think it says quite a bit about you when you want a game you don't like to fail.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by Wolfshead12

I agree. SOE botched EverQuest Next. Everything about it was a slap in the face to EQ veterans and the great legacy of EQ.

The SOE Live event in 2013 was a clever bait and switch scheme that lured EQ vets to show up and then once we got there we were let down when we saw the design of EQ Next. They gutted the lore, they removed levels, the removed the classic class system and pretty much everything that we loved about EQ...all gone.

All of the things that made EQ great were completely IGNORED and instead we got Minecraft and an ugly looking world with cartoonish avatars.

I remember being at SOE Live in 2013 and my heart sank as I watched some of the demos. 

The only good thing about it was the introduction of dynamic content and smart NPCs. That would really help a future version of EQ if the new company is smart enough to take what was good about the proposed EQ Next and combine it with what was good about EQ.

The fact that John Smedley is still there after years without any success in the MMO world is mind boggling.

I really don't understand such stance... had EQ been a continuation of EQ proper, it would mean yet again, more of the same rehash of old systems (that which we bemoan daily around these parts, and hold as proof the genre is stagnated and/or dead). How would that be good at all for anyone to do at this point, no matter the franchise? Whatever it turned out to be it would have to be a deviation from what came before (aka a slap in the face..)

I also have to ask why people consider landmark = EQN (minecraft reference)? I don't even care about either iteration of the franchise and I know that's not accurate...

Not really. They could have still used Storybricks which is what most people find interesting about EQN ( not voxels. Bad idea and ugly IMO ). The previous art style they were using would have been really something to experience but now we are stuck with Free Realms Next / DisneyQuest. 

As an example.

They've moved away from the spirit of the franchise in more ways than those though. The entire focus of the game seems to be a departure, considering EQ wasn't a sandbox. It would seem kinda silly to me, if graphics alone would make people feel different on this subject, as that's just what it looks like, not how it plays or what mechanics they use.

@ Phry, I don't exactly disagree, I was referring to the theme of the current MMO scape right now, if it's not something new, it's more of the same old rehashes.. I'd agree with those who want more rehashes, as that's the type of games I liked early on as well namely SWG... However, I'd be lumped with the rest of those who many would say need to move forward and stop living in the past.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Aelious

For fans of the franchise that are disappointed by what EQN is you should still be in it's corner. If, hypothetically, EQN is a hit and infuses DGC with gobs of revenue then maybe they would consider an EQ3 or take one of the first two and revitalize it with Forgelight, Storybricks, etc. I believe there is zero chance of that happening if EQN fails.

That is the most absurd logic i've ever read.  That's like saying you should stay with an abusive partner because at some point in the future they might not be abusive and start treating you properly.  No, the smart thing to do is GTFO, not bank on a stupidly small chance that things MIGHT, MAYBE change in the future, especially when they've given you literally 0 indication or evidence to suspect otherwise.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If you think EQ:N was a disgrace to the legacy of the EQ franchise, you will probably be appalled at what's coming when Daybreak Gaming start to leverage the IP to the full...

And in other news, water is wet, the sun is bright, and gravity makes things fall to the ground.

The fact that you think whats going to happen when they "leverage the IP" is going to be a good thing is mind boggling.  Enjoy your EQ Farmville game, i'm sure you will extract great joy out of it.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by midnitewolf

Vanilla EQ was a great game for its time but under no circumstances would it hold up to today's standards.  People just aren't going to tolerate sitting in one spot pulling and grinding for hours and hours so you can be a purist all you want but THAT GAME would not be successful.  

However, slower leveling, harsh death penalties, harder game play, strongly encourage if not required grouping, at least for most content, yes these are all things that have been greatly lacking in current MMOs.  EQN had/has the opportunity to bring all that back while eliminating the things about EQ that weren't any fun or were down right boring.  That is why I was looking forward to it.

Im really getting tired of this.  The vast majority of EQ vets recognize that there were a great many bad things about EQ and things that would not work in modern MMO's.  Not many people are here asking for EQ1 with better graphics.

What most of us want, is what you mentioned.  We agree with you 100% that things like harsher death penalties, harder gameplay, strongly encouraged grouping, etc, are the things missing that need to be brought back.

The other reality was very few people "sat in the same spot grinding for hours". Generally that only happened if someone was extremely bored, was having extreme difficulty finding a group, or was trying to camp an item for one reason or another.

And i'm sorry but if you believed that EQN was going to bring back any of those things you are sadly sadly mistaken.  The game was being made to appeal to as broad of an audience as possible, and that means faceroll easy gameplay, stupid mechanics that DONT encourage grouping, solo gameplay heavily incentivized.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Hormone

I had to read your OP again to make sure I wasn't missing something. It seems I got th wrong impression. I thought you'd have wanted some sort of "EQ3" so I was pointing out that for that to happen, because development requires funding, EQN could provide extra funds to make that happen. As it stands now CN has promoted the release of EQN so I can only assume the terms of the buyout included funds to continue its development, which I doubt includes" reimagining" it into EQ3, which would cost even more money and DGC would have to show a higher potential of profit. That model is over saturated in the genre to begin with, not to mention cannabalising the playerbases from EQ/EQ2.

You seem to want it closed simply because of an emotional attachment to what you consider "EQ" and how EQN insults that. I hope I am wrong because it's a view both selfish and immature IMO. More jobs would be lost, the current EQ titles would not improve because of it (even if EQN revenues didn't get transfered), and people who would have liked EQN would never know. I hope I misunderstood.
    Lol, stupid autocorrect... though a funny mistake if taken in context...
    "And i'm sorry but if you believed that EQN was going to bring back any of those things you are sadly sadly mistaken. The game was being made to appeal to as broad of an audience as possible, and that means faceroll easy gameplay, stupid mechanics that DONT encourage grouping, solo gameplay heavily incentivized."

You don't know this and if they are indeed going for as broad a playerbase they would include more difficult content, or scaled content since scaling is something seen in EQ2 and I believe EQ currently. Will it have easier solo content? Of course as a lot of players enjoy that (not me, I prefer group content). An other thing to consider is that SB is supposed to make turning up difficulty easier and make it more complex. Not only numerical difficulty but behavioral by reactions.
  • CladariCladari Member UncommonPosts: 9
    People spent thirteen hundred million dollars ( 1.3 Billion ) on Candy Crush in 2014. Where do you think this IP is going ?
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I'm sorry you could not see the forest through the trees. It never was about bringing back the experience you got in EQ, it was about driving the genre in a direction that made sense just like the original vision of EQ. This is the game that EQ probably should have been but couldn't be because technology just wasn't in place yet.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Sandbox MMOs will still continue to be developed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPvElgdwTVk
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Do any of the people here expecting EQN to see the light of day know how VC firms run? At all?

No venture capital firm is going to sit around and fund a the development of an MMO for years, for some theoretical payoff at the end.

They want a return on their investment NOW. (Because otherwise, they could have bought something else that would generate revenue.)

They bought SOE because they get H1Z1 (which is almost finished) and the revenue it generates, and revenue from the other old MMOs SOE has, and that they got the whole deal for a cheap price (remember that $60 mil writedown that SOE just took?).

VC firms cut costs to the bone to drive up earnings, squeeze all the cash they can get from dying companies, and then sell what is left for whatever they can get.

Don't expect anything different here.

This discussion has been closed.