Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time away from this site gave me a realization...

kairel182kairel182 Member UncommonPosts: 287

I'm so much happier and filled with less hatred for the genre.  This site is a breeding ground for highly opinionated and often offensive assholes to trounce all over every little detail with absolutely no merit.  You don't like something?  Fine.  But don't suggest it's fact because of that.

I've been the biggest proprietor of the hatred for WoW and wanting it to fail, but I've even found myself playing it again with a few friends and enjoying myself.  I set aside my vitriol long enough to check out the new expansion and have been enjoying it.

So perhaps if you're burnt out of the genre or gaming in general, you might not actually be and just need to stay away from sites like this.  It's nothing but hatred and people shitting all over everything you say (hell, within 5 minutes of logging back into the site I found myself doing it as well).  

Do yourself a favor and just play the games, don't come here to be trolled by the ignorance.

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member UncommonPosts: 1,027
    Is there an a agree more than normal button? Forget them is my motto, so cya later haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by kairel182

Do yourself a favor and just play the games, don't come here to be trolled by the ignorance.

That is assuming people come here to find information, and talk about games they like, instead of engaging in forum pvp.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Yeah, It's a bit weird. It's as if no one is ever happy with anything and never will be until x mmo is recreated. I'm playing so many real, social, dynamic fun games at the moment but it's like if you talk about how much you like something thats off-message ie F2P then good luck having a discussion. Its a shame. I kind of dropped out when GW2 launched and only started looking again recently. Bile. Bile everywhere and the same arguments being recycled with the same longing for how it used to be. You can't find this year's bird in last year's nest. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,185

Congrats i guess?

Most of us here are sane enough to do this without having to "step away" but it is still good advice i guess.

The 2% of the 2% always make things look bleaker then they are.

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I've been the biggest proprietor of the hatred for WoW and wanting it to fail, but I've even found myself playing it again with a few friends and enjoying myself.  I set aside my vitriol long enough to check out the new expansion and have been enjoying it.

Wait, so were you the guy that went through like 20 accounts trolling about WoD when it launched?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,267

I'm so much happier and filled with less hatred for the genre.  This site is a breeding ground for highly opinionated and often offensive assholes to trounce all over every little detail with absolutely no merit.  You don't like something?  Fine.  But don't suggest it's fact because of that.

So perhaps if you're burnt out of the genre or gaming in general, you might not actually be and just need to stay away from sites like this.  It's nothing but hatred and people shitting all over everything you say (hell, within 5 minutes of logging back into the site I found myself doing it as well).  

At what point do YOU take responsibility?

I read your post and read you, you, you.

Essentially you say this site has drama for no reason but you come here spreading drama; even admitting that you are a part of that drama.

Quite frankly, you strike me as one of those people who spend their lives ardently being on one side of some position, belief, argument, only to then have some sort of epiphany and spend the next part of your lives arguing ardently on the opposite side against that position, belief argument. You're basically the same person but just traded flavors.

If you don't want drama don't breed drama.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Essentially you say this site has drama for no reason but you come here spreading drama; even admitting that you are a part of that drama.

Quite frankly, you strike me as one of those people who spend their lives ardently being on one side of some position, belief, argument, only to then have some sort of epiphany and spend the next part of your lives arguing ardently on the opposite side against that position, belief argument. You're basically the same person but just traded flavors.

+1

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

What ignorance exactly?

The genre is a nightmare right now, with no decent MMO in the foreseeable future. All twelve of my RL friends already quit WoD a month ago. Although it's been their best expansion in years, that isn't really saying much after Pandaria and Cata. As for everything else that's come out in the last decade......well.......

Coming on here to giftwrap a turd so you can call it gold is just as counterproductive as trolling; in fact, it is trolling.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Sovrath

The OP wasn't creating drama. Just offering an opinion, somewhat strongly worded. What's so bad about that? If folks get upset about it, well, that seems more like their problem rather than the OP's. Most posters here have little better to say about other stuff/players/fans/genre.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I just come to complain about payment methods, they are ridiculous and I like to express my opinion on the matter. Some people I have found like cash shops though. To me it's completely mind boggling and removes the point of even playing the games. I used to come here to read about what is next, then it turned into arguing against the monetization agenda, that's going nowhere though because I have better things to do than come here and try to get games to price themselves fairly. I actually almost deleted my account today, but sometimes they give beta keys out, figured I would keep it for a beta key here and there. Nah, I just need to stop playing video games and forget this site completely.
  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,206

Some people come here to express fustration with a game or the moderator team that would get them banned otherwise.

It's important for this site to exist, but some visitors may be hurting themselves by using it.

p.s. 7 years later WolK still worst expansion ever.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    MMORPG.com is actually one of the most tame and cordial forums I frequent.  Forums in general are turning more and more toxic as everything else on the internet.  You hope to have conversations or friendly debate about a topic but the vast majority of the people who chime in are just people who like to hear the sound of their own voice (or see their own written words).  Ignorance and intolerance abounds and seldom does a point get made or discussed without someone rolling their ass across the keyboard up and down the thread.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    Originally posted by Robokapp

Some people come here to express fustration with a game or the moderator team that would get them banned otherwise.

It's important for this site to exist, but some visitors may be hurting themselves by using it.

I thought this was a place to compare earnings statements for our favorite MMO.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,206
    Originally posted by NorseGod

also to debate if Chess was the first MMO or not since it's massively popular and has multiplayer...

This guy gets it :D

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I really haven't come across many interesting forums that were overly positive.

Outside of maybe travel sites or sites that are simply about one person's experience without any input.

A debate that allows for both negative and positive opinions tends to be far more interesting, I really don't mind people being negative about something. I am happy and just fine with people expressing a negative viewpoint, I don't think it detracts from the discussion, it often adds to it, it doesn't seem to affect our mood.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

This site is great for bouncing ideas off of, getting information, giving information and adding your "presence" to already known debates. Those are the reasons I happen to be here, and i would guess that anyone else would happen to be here. I mean of course, beside the Forum PvP, and possibly finding out about games & news from multiple genres.

Bouncing ideas off of this site will result in very heated arguments. However, have your arguments, even the dragged out ones, without intentionally trying to drag them out, and you will be quite surprised what great things do come out of those arguments... as long as you always remember your initial intention or focus.

Getting information off of this site will result in answers most of the time, even when multiple other posters are completely opposed to whatever your subject is. Again, it comes down to navigating heated debates. The reason for all of these heated debates is because everyone involved does feel strongly in favor of the genre, whatever their strong feeling may be. Second to that is the specific topic being debated. After that you also have to consider that people will argue with you "blindly," because either they do not see your point, you are not quite explaining your point correctly, or you could just be arguing with a wall... Which does go both ways image

Giving information on this site has a number of purposes, as replying to someone else's posts may let you think about a detail or subject differently, it might let you divulge information no one has heard of or considered (the "pay to win reduction methods" I presented in the developers corner is one such piece), and simply giving your opinion because you never know who is really paying attention (it could be some developer that happens to like your idea or notes you as another "check" or "+%" to a vote of the implementation of some feature you state you like -- Which actually also fulfills the "adding your presence" part).

It comes down to the fact, that if you really are letting these forums get to you, then you are not coming here for the right reasons or with the right frame of mind. You must always know why you are here when you are here... or you just may lose yourself in these threads... because we are mad here... I am mad... he is mad... she is mad... we are all mad here...  image

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

This reminds me of this interview with a Westerner who became CEO of a Japanese company, tasked with making the company profitable again.

So the journalist asked him:

"What is the most challenging thing for you as CEO in Japan compared to the West"

He said:

"Making my Japanese employees be less positive and respectful towards me. I can't know if something is wrong in the company if no one dares to tell something is going wrong in fear of my disproval"

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    MMORPG.com is actually one of the most tame and cordial forums I frequent.  Forums in general are turning more and more toxic as everything else on the internet.  You hope to have conversations or friendly debate about a topic but the vast majority of the people who chime in are just people who like to hear the sound of their own voice (or see their own written words).  Ignorance and intolerance abounds and seldom does a point get made or discussed without someone rolling their ass across the keyboard up and down the thread.

I prefer(ed) Massively's website and forums and now there is Massivelyop.com with all the writers and crew mostly intact. I believe even a few old ones have come back on board now. This site is good and sometimes has informative information, but as of last year it seems this site has drifted and lost a lot of what it use to have.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

I prefer(ed) Massively's website and forums and now there is Massivelyop.com with all the writers and crew mostly intact. I believe even a few old ones have come back on board now. This site is good and sometimes has informative information, but as of last year it seems this site has drifted and lost a lot of what it use to have.

They had a forum?   I thought it was just comments on their articles.  

The impression I got (from comments) was massively felt like the middle ground between this site and reddit.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    Originally posted by NorseGod

also to debate if Chess was the first MMO or not since it's massively popular and has multiplayer...

This guy gets it :D

Check out my Online Poker thread. You may be onto something.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

This discussion has been closed.