Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-sub Fun Group Dungeon PvE

sc2071sc2071 Member Posts: 5

Greetings,

I've been out of playing MMOs for a while now.  Trying to get back into it, but having a hard time finding the right one.  Maybe I'm spoiled on single player experiences.  Anyway, here's what I'm looking for...

1.  B2P or F2P.  I don't want to pay a subscription fee, but nor do I want to be subject to a cash shop that milks you dry.

2. Casual friendly.  I don't mean casual easy, but casual time wise.  With a full-time job, wife, and two kids I don't need a MMO that requires I spend 20+ hours a week to progress.  Quick 30-60 minute sessions is usually what I can find time for most days.

3. Fun accessible dungeons!  I enjoy playing healing classes, my favorite being a Disc Priest in WoW (like mixing DPS with healing).  I like playing support and feeling my role is important and matters.

4. A LFG tool and a healthy population is probably essential for enabling to jump on and find a dungeon run quickly.

5. Fun combat.  I'm not too bothered if it is tab targeting or action based, just as long as it is fun to play.

History

I played WoW for several years mostly Vanilla through Cataclysm.  As I mentioned, I really enjoy healing on my Disc Priest.  I think the Wrath of the Lich King expansion was the most fun for me.  As I often find myself PUGing, Cataclysm heroic dungeons were way too hard for an uncoordinated group of impatient strangers.

I've played GW2 for a couple years, and while I enjoy many parts of the game the dungeon and group events are not very satisfying.  Without the trinity, you just don't feel very special or unique in dungeons.

I've tried ESO for about a week recently, but it hasn't really grabbed me.  That goes for SWTOR and Rift previously too, but I'd be willing to give any of them another shot if enough people recommended it.

I'm bummed that Shadow Realms has been cancelled, as that sounded like a great drop in and have a fun dungeon run type of game.

Anyway, thanks in advance for advice and recommendations you have to share!

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu seems to be my answer for all these LFGs.  It's group dungeons are different, they whole game is different. They may take little bit to adjust to, but once you do they are darn fun. There's lots of different sizes for each. Some bosses even spawn in players as adds! 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Lord of the Rings online and EverQuest II are the ones you're most likely looking for.
  • SornathSornath Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Might try Neverwinter.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

WoW and FFXIV, both of which in my opinion fit your criteria best, are out of the question as they are P2P.

I found LOTRO quite good, however, for both levelling and the dungeons were quite good. However, there is no LFG tool and last time I played I struggled to find groups for low level dungeons. And if you are only after good dungeon experience, LOTRO doesn't have the best dungeons at max level too I guess.

I can honestly think of only LOTRO and maybe EQ2.

I would strongly have recommended wow or ffxiv but they both have subs so those don't fit the bill.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Sornath
    Might try Neverwinter.

Neverwinter has all the things you want.

BUT, the cash shop may annoy the hell out of you, since it does have items that impact gameplay. (Nothing you can't get through playing or using the AH, but they do constantly tempt you with taking the easy path :P)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by Sornath
    Might try Neverwinter.

This or Diablo 3

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I'm looking for something similar to the OP, love grouping up for dungeons and have limited time these days so a good group finder is essential.

Rift is easily the best at random grouping, but the game is very boring, can never get past the mid-40s.

FFXIV is a great game, but queue times for dungeons in the tool are very long, too long for someone who has 60 minutes for a session.

SWTOR is good, if you like story the PvE in general is fun, I still play it, but there are a limited number of dungeons and you'll end up repeating them a lot.

Neverwinter is good, its easy to find groups with the tool and the dungeons/adventures are usually fun, especially with the action combat, however exp from the dungeons is awful, so you will need to level normally.

Age of Wushu, haven't tried this since launch, wasn't aware it had many dungeons or any focus in that area, might give it another go.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

SWTOR is probably the best if you want to level just doing flashpoints (dungeons). The LFG tool is great and wait times range from 5/20 minutes depending on class (instant more often than not if healer). As a F2P/preferred your limited to only 3 rewards(loot) a week from them. You can buy the unlock on the GTN for creds though if you earn enough if that bothers you.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by bobfish

I'm looking for something similar to the OP, love grouping up for dungeons and have limited time these days so a good group finder is essential.

Rift is easily the best at random grouping, but the game is very boring, can never get past the mid-40s.

FFXIV is a great game, but queue times for dungeons in the tool are very long, too long for someone who has 60 minutes for a session.

SWTOR is good, if you like story the PvE in general is fun, I still play it, but there are a limited number of dungeons and you'll end up repeating them a lot.

Neverwinter is good, its easy to find groups with the tool and the dungeons/adventures are usually fun, especially with the action combat, however exp from the dungeons is awful, so you will need to level normally.

Age of Wushu, haven't tried this since launch, wasn't aware it had many dungeons or any focus in that area, might give it another go.

About Ffxiv you will have to play a healer or tank if you want quick queues.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.