Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall. No standard game currency confirmed.

SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

" Just wanted to clear this up since I've been seeing a reoccurring question on it and we didn't cover it in the FAQ:

The only item purchased from the shop that we intend to allow players to trade is the VIP membership tokens.

What players use for trade for these tokens I'm not sure yet. We are giving the players the tools of an economy but what becomes the defacto unit for trade will be decided by what people start selling their goods for. Could be wood, ore, ore smelted into coins, if so which ore is the one used? Fun times for sure!  "

Now thats some true player driven economy..

Will be fun to see how inflation affects this, thats if it does affect it in the first place.

The game shows more promise by the day. Time will tell..

Read it for yourself in the dev part of the forum here.

Comments

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    A currency is a currency, be it gold, wood or water. A tradable VIP token is RMT, same as PLEX or APEX. They might as well just sell the ressources directly in the cash shop.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Azoth
    A currency is a currency, be it gold, wood or water. A tradable VIP token is RMT, same as PLEX or APEX. They might as well just sell the ressources directly in the cash shop.

That's so obvious even I can see it!

P2W

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

If there is no in game standard then it will all be put into ratio of the VIP (RMT) ticket. which is probably worst case scenario.

Everyone want to put a 'value' on something. To do that you need to compare its "worth' to something else. What happens when you introduce RMT items into a game, and make them the standard, the inflation in the game is incredible. Generally the economy is out of control in less than a month. 

So if youre trading wood for a VIP it might be 1000 wood the first few days then (even though wood might be less 'valuable' in the actual game) its suddenly  costs 5K wood then 10K. The "answer' to this is '"trade something else", problem is everything sis connected so something that actually has in game value is going to be inflated even more.

If there isnt an in game currency standard its just another blackmark on a game that is chalking up things in the negative column at a record rate.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm really not sure what they are hoping to achieve with this design ?

I suppose you can chalk it up to being "sandbox" to the n-th degree, but in reality players will define a "standard currency" within the first week and that will be that for the life of the game.

Even if the players decide that "clams" are the currency, the RMT goldfarmers will just become RMT clamfarmers.

EQ had no developer-created market places, yet players decided where they would be and that's where everybody went. EVE-Online has no developer-created trading hub, yet players all know that Jita is THE trading hub.

• SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

A player-made currency is far less prevalent than a premade.

Double that in a setting where harvesting is not finding a node randomly and putting it in your pocket.

You need transportation, control of the harvesting aeria and many other things to "farm".

So you have effective access only to the resources your guild/faction controls.

Why would I accept trading in wooden planks when what I have access to is iron?

Its possible only when iron-to-wood ratio is high.

But then wood makers will sell their wood for.. fish.. and fish to iron, which is way more profiting to them.

And so, iron-to-wood ratio starts dropping..

Rinse and repeat.

And thats why I think inflation will remain relatively low.

Its not a First day : "Lets use rocks for currency!" thing.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Satyros

With no other established currency in game, the RMT token becomes the de-facto currency standard.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Satyros

Double that in a setting where harvesting is not finding a node randomly and putting it in your pocket.

You need transportation, control of the harvesting aeria and many other things to "farm".

So you have effective access only to the resources your guild/faction controls.

Why would I accept trading in wooden planks when what I have access to is iron?

Its possible only when iron-to-wood ratio is high.

But then wood makers will sell their wood for.. fish.. and fish to iron, which is way more profiting to them.

And so, iron-to-wood ratio starts dropping..

Rinse and repeat.

And thats why I think inflation will remain relatively low.

Its not a First day : "Lets use rocks for currency!" thing.

What you are describing is a barter system. But how can a barter system work when there is a fourth wall currency in high demand, constantly being injected into the economic cycle? It will end up being real money for VIP, and VIP for everything in the game. Just like every other game that has this type of currency.
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

This reminds me of MTG Online, whilst trading of cards between players is supported, there is no currency in the game. Therefore the player base turned to the one non-card item of value, Tournament Entry Tickets, at $1 a pop (or were), there became the common currency for trading cards with.

VIP will be a similar thing, people will either barter their resources for other in-game items or demand VIP in return for them. The availability of VIP will dictate the prices and with no alternative in-game currency, the paying players will be able to control the market (to a degree).