Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think TOR will get any bigger this year due to Star Wars making a comeback?

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

What do you think? I hear Bioware are going to be making some big changes this year as a result, lets hope they are not quite on the level of NGE! 

Comments

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

I don't think TOR will get any bigger in population because of the upcoming movies. The recent J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies did nothing for the Star Trek Online MMO, and the Hobbit trilogy movies did nothing for Lord of the Rings Online's playerbase either. TOR will be 4 years old when Episode 7 comes out, and the other two franchises didn't even air commercials or advertise their respective MMOs before the trailers preceding the movies.

If anything, the only game commercials you can expect to see tied to the new Star Wars movie will be Battlefront 3.

If you're just talking about the producer's letter/roadmap/cancellation of Shadow Realms, it's all empty smoke and baseless hype at the moment. Blizzard has way more staff & when they cancelled Project Titan in May 2013, it still took ages to reassign staff and launch their WoW expac Warlords of Draenor behind schedule. I don't expect any "big things" from SWTOR in 2015 when the current plans are so empty. They still don't even have a date for Togruta heads released for players, which have been companions and NPCs since launch.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    There will be some that will get that itch to play after seeing the movies, or probably even before to help set the "mood" so to speak.  Depends how EA does their marketing as well.  In any case the new movies will not hurt SWTOR or make the playerbase shrink. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I'm not expecting any spectacular changes. Then again, Bioware seems to be aiming for some well timed expansions by the time of the movies. And EA definitely has the resources to spread the word when the time comes, whereas Lotro and STO had far small budgets to work with due to Cryptic and Turbine being nowhere near as rich as EA or Bioware.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with it!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I'm not expecting any spectacular changes. Then again, Bioware seems to be aiming for some well timed expansions by the time of the movies. And EA definitely has the resources to spread the word when the time comes, whereas Lotro and STO had far small budgets to work with due to Cryptic and Turbine being nowhere near as rich as EA or Bioware.

It certainly hinges on the actual release date for Battlefront 3, but I think EA is going to back DICE's game harder, based on stories like these. There's the quote at the bottom "aggressive DLC plan is also in place, with five content packs, each containing at least three maps as well as characters from The Force Awakens."

Day 1 DLC, with 4 more packs to be released shortly after. Disgusting, but probably going to be a huge moneymaker for EA and the game they're more likely to back being new.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Impacthound

It certainly hinges on the actual release date for Battlefront 3, but I think EA is going to back DICE's game harder, based on stories like these. There's the quote at the bottom "aggressive DLC plan is also in place, with five content packs, each containing at least three maps as well as characters from The Force Awakens."

Day 1 DLC, with 4 more packs to be released shortly after. Disgusting, but probably going to be a huge moneymaker for EA and the game they're more likely to back being new.

Sure, it'll likely be the one that'll get a trailer that plays in theaters. But EA owns both, it would cost them nothing to slip a paper flyer into the Battlefront box to advertise SWTOR, or even do a cross game promo like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Dead Space did (along with many other titles I'm not aware of no doubt).

If they're serious about the whole "Big Year" thing at least. For all we know it could be just talk.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Agree about Cryptic; not so Turbine - WarnerBros are actually bigger than EA. Whether EA or WarnerBros want to "spend heavily" spreading the word well ....

A lot may depend on Battlefront.

If even a fraction of the rumours on  https://makingstarwars.net are accurate well - just listing what is rumoured will make you seem like a hyped fanbois. Check the article on the site if interested. Huge list of mouth-watering features rumoured. And DICE spent time in Pinewood Studios!

And I think this is what EA is going to spend its money on. A B2P title with lots of DLC planned for this year and next, that uses its own internal game engine and could appeal both to fans of SW, fans of BF and more.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

Fairly certain that TOR will get bigger due to the Star Wars movies than it would have been without the movies.  Having said that I doubt TOR will grow unless the development team starts spitting out content fast and the community team actually starts communicating with the community.

I was never a big fan of Makeb,  I didn't like the planet all torn up in islands,  socalled mesa's.   Having said that, I never felt like quitting TOR over RotHc. Revan imo was a failure of an expansion.  Not that Rishi and Yavin was bad,  but I lost the will to log in and play.   Maybe it's the co-op thing with the other faction, maybe it's just old fashion burnout,  but personly I play way less now than I did before 3.0.

People cry for more story all the time,  but imo what is killing TOR is the feeling that EA or Bioware or whoever deliver the content don't realy care.  They take the easy route allways. I cant speak much about GSF since I only tried the "tutorial" and that was probably the worst tutorial I've ever seen in any game.  I never realy expected to start playing GSF,  but that "tutorial" absolutely did nothing to make me want to try it out.  GSH also feels shallow.  Nice QoL features but that's about it. All players gets the exact same housing and all we get are the ability to fill out the space.  Well,  fill out until the hooks have been used up.

Then came 3.0.   Same thing. It feels shallow.  It feels like the absolute minimum of content possible while still being able to call it an expansion.  On top of that it's rather bugged,  class balance is worse than ever and the community team isn't communicating in a meaningfull way.

Last few weeks the community team seems to have improved slightly,  but I fear it's too little too late.  The new content is still not of the quantity,  and especially of the quality expected.  No amount of communicating will fix that.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I'm sure they will push some gimmick items through cash shop. None of which I see that would be related to the lore of that time period.

As far as content goes, nothing will change. Maybe a new zone that takes an hour to finish.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • CalgorCalgor Member Posts: 106
    I think it depends on whether or not they try to tie in SWTOR as canon. If they make some mention to something Old Republic-ish in the movie and push the game thru advertising then ya I think you could see an uptick in the number of players, but most likely nothing huge. It would take a pretty big tie-in and advertising initiative to say triple the number of subscribers in a 4 year old game (as it will be by the time the movie launches).
  • GaliaGalia Member Posts: 15
    A big gimmick is what I expect. Probably movie items to further corrupt the timeline for TOR, is my guess. Whatever sells, cash-shop galore, at the expense of Star Wars canon. Does anyone actually remember what Star Wars canon was? People that play probably don't, since they were EA'doctrinated.
  • SirMartySirMarty Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Impacthound I don't think TOR will get any bigger in population because of the upcoming movies. The recent J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies did nothing for the Star Trek Online MMO, and the Hobbit trilogy movies did nothing for Lord of the Rings Online's playerbase either. TOR will be 4 years old when Episode 7 comes out, and the other two franchises didn't even air commercials or advertise their respective MMOs before the trailers preceding the movies. If anything, the only game commercials you can expect to see tied to the new Star Wars movie will be Battlefront 3. If you're just talking about the producer's letter/roadmap/cancellation of Shadow Realms, it's all empty smoke and baseless hype at the moment. Blizzard has way more staff & when they cancelled Project Titan in May 2013, it still took ages to reassign staff and launch their WoW expac Warlords of Draenor behind schedule. I don't expect any "big things" from SWTOR in 2015 when the current plans are so empty. They still don't even have a date for Togruta heads released for players, which have been companions and NPCs since launch.
    QFT.

I also firmly and personally believe that due to SWTOR's huge mismanagement when it launched, that lasted until a few months after F2P mind you, it won't ever be able to fully recover from all that scrunity it faced for being the worst launch of an MMO in the history of MMO gaming. SWTOR was riddled with bugs (and so much more than your average amount), low capacity server launches (hence the long queues), too many servers launched to allievate the low capacity servers, p**-poor PvP support, little-to-no PvE endgame with an incomplete Operation (one of the only 2 available); the list goes on.

To this day, most of these issues still exist due to the fact that EAware still believes that a "story-driven" MMO is sustainable. Protip: it's not. The only thing that saved SWTOR from certain doom in 2012 was the cash shop and since most casuals (the vast majority of the game's player base) love instant gratification via spending IRL cash so instead of pay-to-play they can pay-to-customize (something EA is taking advantage of), the profitability of F2P is why SWTOR is still backed by a skeleton dev team. It's sad to say it but it's true.

So to answer your question OP, no, not at all. I believe SWTOR will continue to float by by its average-sized playerbase that'll continue to pour hundreds of thousands of $ for content that should be earned through gameplay rather than through cash that could be put towards at the most expansion packs and DLC and the like.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would support a NGE big time,i have the same feeling i had about WOW,not one single aspect of the design is worth keeping,every single area could easily be improved.I am not a fan of Bioware's work and i have bought a lot of their games,including all the SW's games.

This game 100% had the feel of the KOTOR team making it.A single player game with lobby MMO not a very good effort but then again that is what Wow is as well,hence why i said a sad effort and easily improved upon.

I highly doubt any major change so if they remain steadfast on this weak design at least ADD something EPIC like large Invasions or Battlefronts with lots of NPC action to make it lively and exciting.That imo SHOULD have already been in the game from day 1 .

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by SirMarty

Originally posted by Impacthound I don't think TOR will get any bigger in population because of the upcoming movies. The recent J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies did nothing for the Star Trek Online MMO, and the Hobbit trilogy movies did nothing for Lord of the Rings Online's playerbase either. TOR will be 4 years old when Episode 7 comes out, and the other two franchises didn't even air commercials or advertise their respective MMOs before the trailers preceding the movies. If anything, the only game commercials you can expect to see tied to the new Star Wars movie will be Battlefront 3. If you're just talking about the producer's letter/roadmap/cancellation of Shadow Realms, it's all empty smoke and baseless hype at the moment. Blizzard has way more staff & when they cancelled Project Titan in May 2013, it still took ages to reassign staff and launch their WoW expac Warlords of Draenor behind schedule. I don't expect any "big things" from SWTOR in 2015 when the current plans are so empty. They still don't even have a date for Togruta heads released for players, which have been companions and NPCs since launch.
    I also firmly and personally believe that due to SWTOR's huge mismanagement when it launched, that lasted until a few months after F2P mind you, it won't ever be able to fully recover from all that scrunity it faced for being the worst launch of an MMO in the history of MMO gaming. SWTOR was riddled with bugs (and so much more than your average amount), low capacity server launches (hence the long queues), too many servers launched to allievate the low capacity servers, p**-poor PvP support, little-to-no PvE endgame with an incomplete Operation (one of the only 2 available); the list goes on.

To this day, most of these issues still exist due to the fact that EAware still believes that a "story-driven" MMO is sustainable. Protip: it's not. The only thing that saved SWTOR from certain doom in 2012 was the cash shop and since most casuals (the vast majority of the game's player base) love instant gratification via spending IRL cash so instead of pay-to-play they can pay-to-customize (something EA is taking advantage of), the profitability of F2P is why SWTOR is still backed by a skeleton dev team. It's sad to say it but it's true.

So to answer your question OP, no, not at all. I believe SWTOR will continue to float by by its average-sized playerbase that'll continue to pour hundreds of thousands of $ for content that should be earned through gameplay rather than through cash that could be put towards at the most expansion packs and DLC and the like.

Worst launch in the history of MMOs? ROFLMAO! Obv you weren't actually there and are simply spewing out all the accumulated garbage you'd heard as if it was the truth. There simply is too much fail in your post to actually counter it all, so I'm not even going to try.

After 3 years the misinformed haters still gotta hate lol.

EDIT: 5 posts in like a year and all of them spewing this same nonsense about SWTOR.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Calgor, please state how selling millions to lossing millions of players is not a failure? When you have shut down at least half of your servers due to low pop is not a failure how? Tortanic was coined for the mess for a reason. Has the game recovered, nothing like it was at launch, but the bleeding stoped and is now making money. The game as a whole is not a failure, but the launch was.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Originally posted by lugal
    Calgor, please state how selling millions to lossing millions of players is not a failure? When you have shut down at least half of your servers due to low pop is not a failure how? Tortanic was coined for the mess for a reason. Has the game recovered, nothing like it was at launch, but the bleeding stoped and is now making money. The game as a whole is not a failure, but the launch was.

Servers got consolidated twice; Started on Black Citadel, spent some time on Fat Man, both are gone now. Being sent to POT5 was bad karma I guess, rofl.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    No, I doubt it, theres too much EA/Bioware does with SWTOR that screams too little too late and its been like that since launch. If a game cant keep its players interested in it, what chance does a movie stand? Now if EA/Bioware actually cooked something up worth eating and learned how to communicate properly then that might get more players in. I just dont know if theyre capable or willing. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by SirMarty  it won't ever be able to fully recover from all that scrunity it faced for being the worst launch of an MMO in the history of MMO gaming.

I don't really believe that's remotely true.

I seem to remember waiting in line, then playing and not really having any issues.

I'd be curious to see what your stance is on World of Warcraft's horrible launch, or Vanguard's or Dark and Light or even the recent Archeage where people have had issues (I had no real issues playing other than long cues).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by lugal

So is that your fake account or did you just not actually read what he wrote?

The post I responded to was talking about bugs and other BS that simply was not the case at launch. The only real bugs at the beginning consisted of end game raid bugs in EV. Trying to blame the games loss of players by spouting nonsense that never happened is not the same as the game simply not living up to expectations. Not only had EA/BW billed it as the second coming, but they launched the game early so EA could pad its Q4 numbers. If patch 1.2 was launch he might have had a point, and the game might have done better as it contained the features that should have gone out at launch (like 6 months or a year later after the bugs had been worked out), but it wasn't debugged heavily enough and in fact was a LOT buggier then the actual launch was. But 1.2 wasn't out till months later and the launch was one of the least buggiest launches I have ever seen. Which makes his rant filled post nonsense, especially when he tries to say that most of the problems (that didn't exist at launch) are still there.

The only real problem (other than the lack of features that are in game now but should have been in since day one) was the long wait times to actually get in and start playing the game. Saying anything else simply proves whoever is saying it wasn't there and they are just spewing out the same tired old garbage that all the haters do.

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by SirMarty  it won't ever be able to fully recover from all that scrunity it faced for being the worst launch of an MMO in the history of MMO gaming.

I seem to remember waiting in line, then playing and not really having any issues.

I'd be curious to see what your stance is on World of Warcraft's horrible launch, or Vanguard's or Dark and Light or even the recent Archeage where people have had issues (I had no real issues playing other than long cues).

You won't get a response, he has 5 posts over the past year all of them are basically the same baseless attacks on SWTOR.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I personally enjoyed WoW's launch, I double checked the exact outages because of the statue they sent 10 year vets recently and I had a week of comped time from the first few months, and had a total of 30ish free days over the past 10 years for server issues.

Vanguard was truly a hardware issue, specs were too high for the hardware of the time.

Never heard of Dark & LIght

My opinion of the Star Wars launch as a player was fine, other than the same lag I experienced in WoW and launching without some basic features that were standard in other MMOs. The servers consolidation and forced name changes twice were pretty awful but that was beyond launch.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I hope so, the game is now at a good point where it would make sense to really put serious money in to grow the player base.

- Crank up the engine performance

- polish and extend each of the old planets, add high level zones to each one

- add a new landing cutscene for all of them

- add flying mounts , X Wings, A-Wings and the like

- add REAL PvE space outside of Galactic Starfighter

- revamp mounts, add phsyics and open world racing tracks

- add class story continuation up to lvl 75

- add day night cycles to planets

I'd pay 60$ for this expansion instantly.

Many Star Wars fans will leave for Battlefront 3 if it's good.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by DocBrody

I hope so, the game is now at a good point where it would make sense to really put serious money in to grow the player base.

- Crank up the engine performance

- polish and extend each of the old planets, add high level zones to each one

- add a new landing cutscne for all of them

- add flying mounts , X Wings, A-Wings and the like

- add REAL PvE space outside of Galactic Starfighter

- revamp mounts, add phsyics and open world racing tracks

- add class story continuation up to lvl 75

- add day night cycles to planets

I'd pay 60$ for this expansion instantly

I believe the X-Wing was a new design in the original trilogy thus would not exist back here.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

This is really a job for the marketing department I think. One of the areas where they should actually make an impact imo.

Yes, the new Star Trek films didn't impact STO. But honestly, almost no one knew or talked about STO after those films got released. Obviously they'd need to do that in a different manner with TOR.

Knowing how much bigger a franchise Star Wars and SW:TOR are though, I don't think they'll let that chance slide as easily.

Originally posted by SirMarty

You either did not play SWTOR's launch or did not play many other MMO launches if you think TOR's launch was bad.

It was the post-launch period a couple of months in that was bad. The launch was perfectly fine however.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Maybe if this was it's own game like SWG, instead of a shitty WoW clone.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt
    Maybe if this was it's own game like SWG, instead of a shitty WoW clone.

well it was pretty clear from the beginning the core is space-WoW plus story.

I'd bet some suit proposed exactly that and everyone clapped.

It's a good game, just went a bit too much into WoW-type cloning. 

BUT they also innovated, legacy system, strongholds, galactic starfighter, light dark side system, etc.

Really some great stuff there.