Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Massive Layoff

124»

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Who knows, it's all dependant on what's in their contracts. Each firm is different but here in the UK you can't make someone redundant and not pay them anything. THere are minimum redundancy payments you need to make and no we are not talking about 100 bucks. More like at least 3-4 months salary. A colleague who was made redundant some time ago got 18 months of redundancy pay. She did have a non-compete for 6 months though.

If I was made redundant I will get 12 months pay (basically my annual salary). Now every company is diferent and people have different packages when they sign up for a new job. It's not completely outrageous to receive 12 months of redundancy pay.

In the USA, we have unemployment insurance, into which funds are paid as a person works per hour over time. I see the UK has jobseeker allowance which is considered to be about the equivalent. So if a person is laid off in the uk, do they get both jobseeker allowance and redundancy pay?

If you get redundancy pay, I think it may affect your ability to claim jobseeker allowance at the same time but I wouldn't be suprised if you are able to claim both. In the UK we have a massive problem with this whole benefits thing as the benefits peopel can get are ridiculous. E.g. there was one family which received £40,000 (about $60,000) annualy in benefits and I think because they didn't have any uni education, they probably wouldn't be making that much if they were working so they just stay unemployed.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Who knows, it's all dependant on what's in their contracts. Each firm is different but here in the UK you can't make someone redundant and not pay them anything. THere are minimum redundancy payments you need to make and no we are not talking about 100 bucks. More like at least 3-4 months salary. A colleague who was made redundant some time ago got 18 months of redundancy pay. She did have a non-compete for 6 months though.

If I was made redundant I will get 12 months pay (basically my annual salary). Now every company is diferent and people have different packages when they sign up for a new job. It's not completely outrageous to receive 12 months of redundancy pay.

In the USA, we have unemployment insurance, into which funds are paid as a person works per hour over time. I see the UK has jobseeker allowance which is considered to be about the equivalent. So if a person is laid off in the uk, do they get both jobseeker allowance and redundancy pay?

In the USA, if you draw severance pay you may not be eligible to draw unemployment.  It depends on the State you live in.  California allows it for example.  I suspect the same would be true in other countries that offer similar packages.  Not all employers offer severance pay, so when you're let go, you're let go.  Unemployment is all you are entitled to.  Neither of which makes up for a lost reliable paying full time job in today's job market.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

That in an industry thats worth Billions and as a whole its customer servers was best 10 years ago. Seeing DGC laying off support staff. Seeing most MMOs move to the ticket system to deal with customers is unacceptable. To top this off, cash shops being in new sources of income and this in the face of removing more and more support. I think gamers should be upset. This is the new norm =- Im sick of submitting tickets that get automated replies that take days and weeks to fix problems. 

I remember back in the day submitting a tick and a GM showing up in game to talk to you and that often took 5-30 min to get one show up.

If the game was made well, you wouldn't need customer support now would you?  Seems to me, the ones investing heavily in customer support have a need to.  What's that say about the game?

If only the world was as simple as you think it should be. Crap happens and thats when you need customer service. Most tickets I am sure are player made problems but in the end to keep people playing the company needs to fix it to keep people paying and playing.

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350

MASSIVE LAYOFF....

Of nearly 45% of the work force... and people think it is business as usually and nothing will suffer.

Notice how Daybreak has not announced anything, that John Smedley isn't around..? It is because he is about to announce what project lives, and which ones die.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I recall there was some news of Smedley being threatened at one point when he was on the plane and all. Was that incident related to the impending sale and layoffs. Was there any evidence of why people were targetting him ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Any chance this thread could die already? A huge layoff at a struggling company should surprise no one.