Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Romulan as an Independent faction

samurai225samurai225 Member UncommonPosts: 51
When last I played it I think it was 6 months ago, I thought that the Romulan's would be their own faction making it a 3 way fight but found out that it would not be the case. Was wondering if you guys think Cryptic will change it into an independent faction instead of being forced to join the Klingon and the federation. Also was thinking about playing this again, has their been any major changes since then?

Comments

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

It's a safe bet to say that the Romulans are never going to be a full fledged faction, meaning they will have to side with either the Federation or the KDF.  It's my understanding that any new "faction" (eg. Cardassians) will follow the same route as the Romulans.

Creating unique, faction specific content to go with an entirely new faction is too much work for too little reward in Cryptic's eyes.  Al Rivera (aka. Captain Geko) said in a recent podcast that they ended the war with the Federation and Klingons so they could focus on multi-faction stories from here on out.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Cryptic has already stated that all new content will be faction-shared as that way they can develop one mission that can be used by all three factions.  You will not see any new faction specific content and any hope you have of a Romulan faction is lost. 

PWI blamed NA operations (Cryptic) in their last financials for their loss in income and I dont see any Cryptic game gaining a whole lot of new members this year so I only see more cuts coming to Cryptic.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

As Valoreah said, I wouldn't count on it. 

It's just the way STO is built.  And it's not unusual.  Even in WoW there has just always been Horde v. Alliance.  If there ever was such an MMO that created a completely new level 1 to max faction after a game's release, I'm not aware of it.

Maybe you're just referring to PvP, in which case, STO is definitely not built for that.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Robsolf

It's just the way STO is built.  And it's not unusual.  Even in WoW there has just always been Horde v. Alliance.  If there ever was such an MMO that created a completely new level 1 to max faction after a game's release, I'm not aware of it.

Maybe you're just referring to PvP, in which case, STO is definitely not built for that.

There is a huge difference between World of Warcraft though, and STO, in terms of WoW it was never meant to be anything other than Horde vs Alliance, but STO, or at least the Star Trek IP, was never about Klingon vs Federation, there are more factions in Star Trek than that, and the thought of Romulans siding with either the Federation or the Klingons is so counter to everything the Romulans were, it just doesn't make sense, not that those 3 factions were the only ones in Star Trek, the Ferengi and the Dominion perhaps just more examples, the IP is just that vast that it always seemed a waste to restrict it to some meaningless battle between the Klingons and the Federation. Shame really, could have been great. image

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Robsolf

There is a huge difference between World of Warcraft though, and STO, in terms of WoW it was never meant to be anything other than Horde vs Alliance, but STO, or at least the Star Trek IP, was never about Klingon vs Federation, there are more factions in Star Trek than that, and the thought of Romulans siding with either the Federation or the Klingons is so counter to everything the Romulans were, it just doesn't make sense, not that those 3 factions were the only ones in Star Trek, the Ferengi and the Dominion perhaps just more examples, the IP is just that vast that it always seemed a waste to restrict it to some meaningless battle between the Klingons and the Federation. Shame really, could have been great. image

"the IP" being the key distinction.  And to that, I'd agree 100% image

But STO has pretty much been built around a 2 faction system, with the grey factions represented as story drviers from the perspective of those 2 factions.  And your point underscores the reason why; there's easily a half dozen factions I can think of off the top of my head that would also deserve their own path, if Romulans do.  And many many more that I've forgotten about.  I don't think that adding playable factions to that extent, in any way that's coherent, would be possible on a WoW budget, let alone STO's.

Still, dare to dream...