Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft Earnings Release 4Q14: disastrous quarter for Wildstar

Comments

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Phry

How come that GW2s Chinese sales didn't impact it's numbers at all? It did sell several millions so we should see some kind of impact here.

But I am not impressed with Ws, no. For a P2P game it should get in more money the first year after the release.

Because it never happened, you probably missed the bit where Arenanet themselves debunked the whole 'millions' of sales thing, it was just some random guy posting it on one of their forums that got misinterpreted and passed off as fact, at least until Arenanet stated it was in fact not true, they were probably worried they would be facing some huge tax bill if they didnt image

It did release and even if it just sold a few 100K of boxes we still should see some kind of increase. Here is nothing at all.

Because the profit from China is in paragraph "royalties", something the OP's chart shed no light upon. What you are asking is like asking XLGames to have ArcheAge boost thanks to Trion's ArcheAge.  

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Oh boy. Another high school economics class evaluation of corporate earnings report thread. I don't even play WS anymore, but these threads are hilarious.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

I really expected to see an increase in numbers based on what I read on the reddit and official forums. Drop 3 & 4 were supposed to be huge improvements to the games underlying systems (class balance and itemization) and also add new content. I understand that Drop 4 isn't really accounted for in this report, though.

$5mil/quarter is really not good.

I want to see Wildstar do so much better, but the way they're going ... They'll end up like Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault, and CoH. People tend to forget about the former two - They were closed quickly and decisively by NCSoft. CoH was closed because it was what ... 7 or 8 years old? And was no longer making the money it needed to. Right now, Wildstar seems to be going the same path that TR and AA did.

It's a real shame, because the game was actually a lot of fun to play. It just lacked the proper direction and target audience.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

Oh boy. Another high school economics class evaluation of corporate earnings report thread. I don't even play WS anymore, but these threads are hilarious.

Huh? if people post of up reliable data from official sources to back up their claims then people have problem if they don't then people still have  a problem.

From your post it seems like you still play WS and just don't like to face the facts.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63

How come that GW2s Chinese sales didn't impact it's numbers at all? It did sell several millions so we should see some kind of impact here.

But I am not impressed with Ws, no. For a P2P game it should get in more money the first year after the release.

Because it never happened, you probably missed the bit where Arenanet themselves debunked the whole 'millions' of sales thing, it was just some random guy posting it on one of their forums that got misinterpreted and passed off as fact, at least until Arenanet stated it was in fact not true, they were probably worried they would be facing some huge tax bill if they didnt image

It did release and even if it just sold a few 100K of boxes we still should see some kind of increase. Here is nothing at all.

It's under royalties any game that releases in China falls under royalties revenue.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Oziius
    Originally posted by viney123
    Sadly, at this pace, Wildstar is more likely to be canceled entirely than even go F2P. I hate to say it, but its true. The game devs just can't appeal to a general population, and at this point if it tried to go F2P, it would likely still struggle..

People around here just love pulling shit from their ass. You actually think that with the money they're trying to recoup from the project that they would cancel before even trying f2p? You're insane. Look at SWTOR. That game is doing better then ever after a shameful performance at a sub model. 

Can you explain where you came up with the idea that the game would struggle even if going f2p? Is it just because you don't like the game? Or are you just pulling poo from your bum? It sounds like poo from the bum to me. Although I won't claim to know the actual cost, I'm sure the game could be converted for f2p for far less then the hit they would take financially by just shutting it down now.  

Can you explain why you're blatantly ignoring how NCSoft never made City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa, Lineage (in the US), and many other games now dead a chance at being F2P first?

It's not pulling shit out of the ass if it's the company's typical reaction to this sort of thing...

It's high school economics because several conclusions one can draw from the numbers in this case are so blatantly obvious that High School economics (if that much) is all that's really required.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by mrneurosis

Huh? if people post of up reliable data from official sources to back up their claims then people have problem if they don't then people still have  a problem.

From your post it seems like you still play WS and just don't like to face the facts.

You don't have a full context of what those numbers mean. Throw in some random math like subtracting what feel right for the number of boxes sold and no differentiation between CREDD $20, one month sub $15 or multi month less than that. 

So yeah. High school economics nonsense that means nothing. No one disputes that revenue has tanked.

As far as " your post it seems like you still play WS" that is weird given that I explicitly said that I don't.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Phry is right. They even had server merges in China last December.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I'm sorry to hear that. In many ways great and original game, fun to play and listen to quests. My main complain was impossible lag (not present in beta before release) in crowded areas. But sole reason I left prematurely was because of 1 toolbar limit. Hate button mashers and having 1 toolbar spells button mashing. Period. From this perspective I could not imagine myself for long time commitment and left.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Sadly, at this pace, Wildstar is more likely to be canceled entirely than even go F2P. I hate to say it, but its true. The game devs just can't appeal to a general population, and at this point if it tried to go F2P, it would likely still struggle..

People around here just love pulling shit from their ass. You actually think that with the money they're trying to recoup from the project that they would cancel before even trying f2p? You're insane. Look at SWTOR. That game is doing better then ever after a shameful performance at a sub model. 

Can you explain where you came up with the idea that the game would struggle even if going f2p? Is it just because you don't like the game? Or are you just pulling poo from your bum? It sounds like poo from the bum to me. Although I won't claim to know the actual cost, I'm sure the game could be converted for f2p for far less then the hit they would take financially by just shutting it down now.  

What they have invested in WIldstar up to this point is a sunk cost. Sunk costs are irrelevant when making decisions about future investments. COnverting to F2P costs more money. So NCSoft will decide if it's worth pouring yet more money to try and save th game. They will invest more money if they think the game can actually succeed and give them good returns. However, the initial investment which is LOST now is not a factor when making this decision. Economics and FInance 101 for you.

However, the reason why so many people think that Wildstar will be shut down is because NCSoft have done this in the past a few times. City of Heroes was a P2P game which was shut down. NCSoft didn't want to convert it to F2P.

Seeing as how Wildstar is a massive flop, I won't be suprised if NCSoft are unwilling to invest the money to convert it to F2P.

Statement in green, there is no way you can be sure about what you just stated because you don't know how much NCSoft have invested in the game and you don't know how much it will cost them to convert it to F2P.

Really, there's zero reason not to go F2P. I don't know how much it would cost them to convert, but chances are they would recoup whatever it cost them fairly quickly, considering the quick surge of earnings that other devs have reported when switching.. If they've already written off the initial investment as a loss, then what's the harm in putting forth the money to switch when it's almost certain you'll at least make your money back?

I don't think anyone can judge what will happen with this game based off of NCSOFT's history. CoH was simply too old to be saved (even after going F2P, DCUO and CO just killed it). TR and AA were shut down long before devs realized that you could save a dying sub game by switching to F2P.

What good is short term surge if in long terms game doesnt have almost any prospects? Yeah, if you think of money grabbing scheme like "convert to F2P with minimal costs, grab what you can and then either put game in maintenance mode (ala vanguard) or shut it down", sure F2P is a thing to do.

First and foremost NCSoft would have to see a future for WS (because another investement would just mean putting more losses on top of those that already occured). But in its current state, not even overly-enthusiastic press and fanbois seem to have that much faith in it, let alone people who have to aproove additional funding to project that already lost money.

Kinda same situation like SWTOR, EA doesnt want to do any additinal funding on it, but SWTOR has few lucky brakes: its Star Wars AND they hope Disney will do bulk of the work (marketing) for them by revitalizing IP and hope part of that hype will spill down on SWTOR on its own. WS....kinda screwed.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Satyros

As rough as it sounds, this is satisfying to watch.

The community has had it with the false promises, the intense WoW-copying  and the incopetense of many developers to deliver anything worthwhile, especially in an era when two guys and a laptop call themselves indie and produce gems.

The genre is changing.

Dude, really? "Incopetense."

"Incompetence!"

How ironic that this backfired for you. :P

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Malabooga

What they have invested in WIldstar up to this point is a sunk cost. Sunk costs are irrelevant when making decisions about future investments. COnverting to F2P costs more money. So NCSoft will decide if it's worth pouring yet more money to try and save th game. They will invest more money if they think the game can actually succeed and give them good returns. However, the initial investment which is LOST now is not a factor when making this decision. Economics and FInance 101 for you.

However, the reason why so many people think that Wildstar will be shut down is because NCSoft have done this in the past a few times. City of Heroes was a P2P game which was shut down. NCSoft didn't want to convert it to F2P.

Seeing as how Wildstar is a massive flop, I won't be suprised if NCSoft are unwilling to invest the money to convert it to F2P.

Statement in green, there is no way you can be sure about what you just stated because you don't know how much NCSoft have invested in the game and you don't know how much it will cost them to convert it to F2P.

Really, there's zero reason not to go F2P. I don't know how much it would cost them to convert, but chances are they would recoup whatever it cost them fairly quickly, considering the quick surge of earnings that other devs have reported when switching.. If they've already written off the initial investment as a loss, then what's the harm in putting forth the money to switch when it's almost certain you'll at least make your money back?

I don't think anyone can judge what will happen with this game based off of NCSOFT's history. CoH was simply too old to be saved (even after going F2P, DCUO and CO just killed it). TR and AA were shut down long before devs realized that you could save a dying sub game by switching to F2P.

What good is short term surge if in long terms game doesnt have almost any prospects? Yeah, if you think of money grabbing scheme like "convert to F2P with minimal costs, grab what you can and then either put game in maintenance mode (ala vanguard) or shut it down", sure F2P is a thing to do.

First and foremost NCSoft would have to see a future for WS (because another investement would just mean putting more losses on top of those that already occured). But in its current state, not even overly-enthusiastic press and fanbois seem to have that much faith in it, let alone people who have to aproove additional funding to project that already lost money.

I think a lot of people would have said the same thing about SWTOR, now look at it. F2P has saved a lot of titles, and not just saved them, but made them better. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-18-the-old-republic-earned-usd165-million-last-year-report

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

I think a lot of people would have said the same thing about SWTOR, now look at it. F2P has saved a lot of titles, and not just saved them, but made them better. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-18-the-old-republic-earned-usd165-million-last-year-report

Uh yeah, Superdata again, site that lists Heartstone as MMO rofl. Their numbers (and your claim) is as valid as any other internet number.

Also, its hard to take anything form that list seriously when out of 10 subscription games 8 are F2P. But that was discussed to death rofl

Again and again i ask mods to remove any superdata post as they did with xfire/raptr posts. Anyone can write a blog and throw in some random numbers. At least xfire/raptr were base on actual users of xfire/raptr.

Uh yeah, Superdata again, site that lists Heartstone as MMO rofl. Their numbers (and your claim) is as valid as any other internet number.

Again and again i ask mods to remove any superdata post as they did with xfire/raptr posts.

Without the link my claim still stands. SWTOR has made a remarkable turn around, and so have many other titles that have changed their payment model to f2p. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Again and again i ask mods to remove any superdata post as they did with xfire/raptr posts.

Without the link my claim still stands. SWTOR has made a remarkable turn around, and so have many other titles that have changed their payment model to f2p. 

Yes, it had a short surge and last 3-4 quarters (OFFICIAL FROM EA and NOT random internetz numbers):

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/3606693866x0xS712515-14-63/712515/filing.pdf

For the three months ended September 30, 2014 , service and other revenue was $454 million , primarily driven by

FIFA Ultimate Team, Titanfall, and

Battlefield 4 Premium. Service and other revenue for the three months ended September 30, 2014 increased $109 million , or 32 percent, and was driven by a $171 million increase primarily from Titanfall and the FIFA and Plants vs Zombies franchises. This increase was partially offset by a $62 million decrease primarily from the SimCity franchise and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Also already discussed to death. I wonder also why you didnt post most recent superdata numbers. Since you are so in love with those.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

The games are different genres though, let alone run by different companies, if you really want to draw comparisons, then you'll have to do it from within the same genre, and ideally the same company, except, previous examples are that NCSoft would rather shut a game down than go F2P, and no amount of wishful thinking can change that, lets face it, City of Heroes/Villains was a way more popular/liked game than Wildstar ever was, it would have been hugely easy to convert it to a cash shop driven F2P game too, but instead, they chose to shut it down, even though at the time it was probably still 'profitable', i sincerely doubt that NCSoft would sink any more money into the game to try and convert it to F2P, they have little enough reason for that as it is.image

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I play ESO now but the biggest problem I had with Wildstar was the combat.  I liked everything else except that combat. You cannot really say it is because I dislike action combat because I play ESO alright. I was having serious pains in my shoulder,wrist and elbows as a result of the combat in Wildstar. Well too bad for the game but they need to revamp the combat.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Yes, it had a short surge and last 3-4 quarters (OFFICIAL FROM EA and NOT random internetz numbers):

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/3606693866x0xS712515-14-63/712515/filing.pdf

For the three months ended September 30, 2014 , service and other revenue was $454 million , primarily driven by

FIFA Ultimate Team, Titanfall, and

Battlefield 4 Premium. Service and other revenue for the three months ended September 30, 2014 increased $109 million , or 32 percent, and was driven by a $171 million increase primarily from Titanfall and the FIFA and Plants vs Zombies franchises. This increase was partially offset by a $62 million decrease primarily from the SimCity franchise and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Also already discussed to death. I wonder also why you didnt post most recent superdata numbers. Since you are so in love with those.

As usual, Superdata's 'data' is vaporised yet again by actual data from the company in question, so not surprised. Sometimes i think it would be wise to put a 'sticky' in forum threads stating that, figures/statistics obtained from sources like Xfire, Superdata etc, cannot be regarded as factual representations, and are largely opinion based image

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    If you do how will people who claim ESO is increasing in population get their data. Superdata is their life raft.
    Chamber of Chains
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Kinda sad, I rather like NCSOFT compared to some publishers. They have had some interesting games in their stable. Whilst the setting of Wildstar kinda fitted with NCSOFTs  'personality' the gameplay really offered little new or interesting imho. i'm surprised they  went for it.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Also, its hard to take anything form that site seriously when out of 10 subscription games 8 are F2P. But that was discussed to death rofl

Goodluck with that. The writers of the site have referred to that site themselves in past articles.

Just because you don't like the site, doesn't mean it's bogus. And whether you view Hearthstone as an MMO or not, its earnings are still correct.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

As usual, Superdata's 'data' is vaporised yet again by actual data from the company in question, so not surprised. Sometimes i think it would be wise to put a 'sticky' in forum threads stating that, figures/statistics obtained from sources like Xfire, Superdata etc, cannot be regarded as factual representations, and are largely opinion based image

99.9% of these forum discussions is/are opinion based. Hey, that's just my opinion though. /shrug

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Also, its hard to take anything form that site seriously when out of 10 subscription games 8 are F2P. But that was discussed to death rofl

Goodluck with that. The writers of the site have referred to that site themselves in past articles.

Just because you don't like the site, doesn't mean it's bogus. And whether you view Hearthstone as an MMO or not, its earnings are still correct.

I know, and thats what makes it even more important to point out.

Superdata is as valid/invalid for numbers on games which dont publicly publish their numbers as any other internet number.

And Superdata is irrelevant for games which do have official numbers (like OP)  as those are easily obtained from OFFICIAL sources (like OP)

So Superdata is pretty much useless. Pick a random "internet analyst" and recite his numbers as gospel = superdata on this site.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    so sad : /

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86

This was pretty much to be expected with yet another game trying to copy and improve on what WoW is. The only thing that can save them now is to go F2P.

And by the way. The number on the quarterly report is the entire revenue generated by the game and not just the box sales. That is how quarterly financial reports work. Reporting only a part of the revenue such as only box sales would be illegal.

They are getting extremely close to the numbers CoH had when they were shut down.

TBH I most likely still would not want to play it even if it went F2P. The quality is just very poor from what I remember when I played in the beta. I would probably play it for a few days then end up uninstalling it.