Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A completionists game

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This game is perfect for those players that want to complete and discover all and everything the PvE game has to offer...

because every zone you gon and visit even when you are max level still has its challenges..  And while you travel around the world, things happen, events are started, NPCs have stories to tell during these events. On top of that, there is stuff hidden everywhere...

how much world completion does your main character have?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Getting the 100% map completion is about as interesting as killing million rats on a starting zone.

Some people love this stuff but spending days running around the map doing pointless tasks for cosmetic fluff seems quite odd.

My GF has 100% map completion while I'm around 2 %. ;O

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Getting the 100% map completion is about as interesting as killing million rats on a starting zone.

Some people love this stuff but spending days running around the map doing pointless tasks for cosmetic fluff seems quite odd.

Nice over-exaggeration... unless your character is level 2. 

GW2 is a fun game for explorers, however after a couple times through it can become repetitive. That is no different then doing the same quests for the 10th time though. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by fs23otm

Nice over-exaggeration... unless your character is level 2. 

GW2 is a fun game for explorers, however after a couple times through it can become repetitive. That is no different then doing the same quests for the 10th time though. 

The problem is mindset.... Completion in Gw2 is not about the goal, but about the journey, its about the little things you see on the road, about the NPCs you meet and what they have to say...  

I really love starting new event chains, and following those NPCs around... 

if you play with that mindset, completion becomes a tool instead of a goal, just like daylies, If you follow them, things start happening around you...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    My main chars sitting at 100% completion, but i still only have 4800 achievement points with only 3 lvl 80 chars, still heaps of achievement's left to unlock, and that with playing on and off since beta.
  • CriticKittenCriticKitten Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The problem is mindset.... Completion in Gw2 is not about the goal, but about the journey, its about the little things you see on the road, about the NPCs you meet and what they have to say...  

I really love starting new event chains, and following those NPCs around... 

if you play with that mindset, completion becomes a tool instead of a goal, just like daylies, If you follow them, things start happening around you...

Completion has always been seen as a tool to get to the end of the game by the gaming community.  Look no further than the debate over whether speedruns with glitches qualify as a "legit" completion of a game.

The real question is not about what the intention was, but whether or not it was achieved.  And honestly?  I don't think it was.  World completion is by far one of the most tedious elements of the game.  Jumping up a tower to get to the top and getting that little "ding" of reward is awesome the first time, less awesome the second, and it's outright tedious by the seventh.  And you absolutely have to do it if you want to craft your own legendary (rather than buying it), so you feel a sort of obligation to do it if only for that reason.

The worst offender by far, however, was WvW world completion, which on some servers became damn near impossible for the longest time due to their server's lack of WvW talent.  With as bad as WvW completion has been over the previous years, I've heard rumors that it may be getting removed as part of this expansion/update.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I have one character with 100% completion and 7 others from around 25-45%. I haven't been able to focus on one of the alts because I like to play different classes all the time, though I suppose I will eventually.

Mostly, I just pvp these days.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I will never understand comments like this and I see them on this website constantly. I especially see these comments on Guild Wars 2 posts.

You are playing a video game. Literally everything you are doing is pointless. Everything.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I will never understand comments like this and I see them on this website constantly. I especially see these comments on Guild Wars 2 posts.

You are playing a video game. Literally everything you are doing is pointless. Everything.

Standing on a mailbox in a hub in your "uber(grind) gear" has some value...to someone...i guess. The other 99,9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%... find it as pointless as everything else.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I'm actually enjoying the game again. But this has always been how I play GW2. On and Off. I'll play for a couple months then take a few off and start up again. But it seems ANET is trying to discourage that mentality. We'll see though.

As far as this completionist description, yeah, maybe. But one thing I don't like now is this new player experience. At 1st it didn't seem too bad. But now that I am past level 30 on my Necro, I am seeing the frustration involved with getting my traits. One of the things I never completed on any one of my 6 level 80s was World Map. I despise jumping puzzles. I don't do them unless I am in a group with a Mesmer who portals people. I have no use for those wastes of time. I don't think they serve any purpose in MMORPG progression except to add a Mario Bros. mini-game feel. I am perfectly fine with them being in the game for those who do enjoy them. I support them being in the game as they add options for players to do what they want. Before, I avoided them and it was fine. I didn't get the achievements, but that didn't really affect me too much. But now......I'm a bit more than irritated. They have locked my progression behind JPs. And not just any JP, No, Obsidian Sanctum is now mandatory unless I want to spend gold and points on a trait. I find this unacceptable. I should not have my character's logical progression tied to whether or not I want to play Super Mario Land inside my MMORPG.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I actually consider it a VERY lame attempt at calling that content.

Perhaps if i were role playing Christopher Columbus,all about discovery i might consider it a part of a rpg,but it is not.Further more the whole point of discovery is to DISCOVER,having markers on maps is just real weak.Then again,if you were to employ Cartography and YOU actually plot out markers on your map,then it would be part of an rpg aspect,other wise it is not.

mini games to complete are not RPG aspects,rp btw means ROLE PLAYING,be it a Warrior or a Mage,you would be role playing whatever you would consider that type of character to do whilst living in a world.I am quite certain a legendary Warrior would not be idling by "Hey my fellow cohorts,let's walk over there and get some xp,we have yet to step foot on that piece of ground....ummmm see how silly the idea is.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.