Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO has the best PVP now?

GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

I have played lots of MMO's, but i think i need players that actually stuck to their MMO's and did pvp on a high lvl to tell me why they like pvp in THEIR game.

Im mostly playing solo. I dont like pay to win games.

Id dont like EVE...i need to play a character.

I dont mind grinding, but skill should matter the most. Not only template/gear.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to answer.  :)

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Right now GW2 has been my PvP fix as I love 3 faction warfare. Its a little zergish but being B2P it does not cost much to PvP =-) I am told ESO dose 3 faction war very well as well and now that they have moved to B2P I may give that a try but from what I read they are a little zergish as well. Some changes as of late like removing AoE caps is moving in the right direction to remove zerg always wins. I hope to see more like this. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Perhaps a Moba such as LOL?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Right now GW2 has been my PvP fix as I love 3 faction warfare. Its a little zergish but being B2P it does not cost much to PvP =-) I am told ESO dose 3 faction war very well as well and now that they have moved to B2P I may give that a try but from what I read they are a little zergish as well. Some changes as of late like removing AoE caps is moving in the right direction to remove zerg always wins. I hope to see more like this. 

I felt like the way anyone could stealth in ESO helped the solo/small group a lot.

I managed to get behind the zergs quite often and just fight stragglers in small battles.  I loved the way that game's PVP area was built.  I felt like there was a real solid place for both zerging and small scale stuff.

I ultimately quit in the first month though as I hated the PVE and there was no real way to progress my character in PVP.

But as far as PVP goes, if you like that sorta thing ESO and GW2 both great.  I think GW2 has better structured PVP ESport type play while in my opinion ESO has the better RVR implementation (at least i thought so for the few weeks I played it).  But they can both be great, its probably just up to the individual playing.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

It's going to have to be too your playstyle OP.   A lot of us pvp'ers are fan of certain games and see other's as crap pvp.  Then those that I think play crap pvp will say my choices are crap.  Who is right and who is wrong?  That said, some games seem to excel at certain types of pvp over others.  Such as BG objective style pvp.  Massive scale pvp with objectives.  Arenas...yada yada.  This is stuff you probably already know.  So you also probably know that you will get many different answers to this very subjective question.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I dont play pvp on a high level but i think GW2 has some of the best pvp in a mmo. It has two forms of pvp:

spvp: 5 vs 5 (all leveled up to 80 and all skills unlocked, just need to finish tutorial)

wvw: server vs server, (all leveled up to 80 but you may still need to unlock skills)

wvw is closest you get to open world pvp in GW2, but expect zerg and that almost all are there for pvp.

I do not expect that the MMO pvp players here can agree which MMO has the best pvp.

What ever MMO you find promising check it out on twitch.

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286

Well I played a lot of MMOs

my fav ones according to pvp would be DFUW and WAR

WAR being shut down, DFUW is a great game because it truly requires skill.

First of all, there is a difference for gear, but nothing over craftable level so anyone can get it. Not to mention since its full loot, the highest grade item wil circulate a few users before its dura is finished.

Another point is that it requires a lot of assets like if you are good at aiming, you can dominate in this game, I've seen people who are good at aiming take out over 15 people on their own.

If your enemy is very experienced and has superior gear, you might still win if you are smart, I had so many instances of fooling people into traps or using the environment to my advantage in order to win against superior enemies. There are many ways of fighting, once you encounter someone, it requires a bit of a fast initial strategy rather than button smashing and spinning around.

If you are looking into a game where you can get better and better and better purely by playing, roaming and dueling people then Darkfall is the game for you, at first it wont be easy, your enemies will be able to manage all their utility skills correctly while you cant even properly run and shoot but once you get a little bit of a grip you'll see its all about the player's skill.

About GW2, anyone who played a proper pvp game would know that it is a disaster of a game for pvp. At least that's what I think. spvp is meaningless, nothing but cosmetic against people who spam the same skill over and over because well... there are such a little amount of skills. About WvW again it is very pointless as well with a lot of issues. There is little or no reason to join wvw after a few times. If you have experience with a few pvp mmos, I'd say you might be disappointed with GW2's pvp, but if you are just starting with it, it is a very simple game where you can join pvp very quickly and with little or no amount of skill required.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by seigard

First of all, there is a difference for gear, but nothing over craftable level so anyone can get it. Not to mention since its full loot, the highest grade item wil circulate a few users before its dura is finished.

Another point is that it requires a lot of assets like if you are good at aiming, you can dominate in this game, I've seen people who are good at aiming take out over 15 people on their own.

If your enemy is very experienced and has superior gear, you might still win if you are smart, I had so many instances of fooling people into traps or using the environment to my advantage in order to win against superior enemies. There are many ways of fighting, once you encounter someone, it requires a bit of a fast initial strategy rather than button smashing and spinning around.

If you are looking into a game where you can get better and better and better purely by playing, roaming and dueling people then Darkfall is the game for you, at first it wont be easy, your enemies will be able to manage all their utility skills correctly while you cant even properly run and shoot but once you get a little bit of a grip you'll see its all about the player's skill.

About GW2, anyone who played a proper pvp game would know that it is a disaster of a game for pvp. At least that's what I think. spvp is meaningless, nothing but cosmetic against people who spam the same skill over and over because well... there are such a little amount of skills. About WvW again it is very pointless as well with a lot of issues. There is little or no reason to join wvw after a few times. If you have experience with a few pvp mmos, I'd say you might be disappointed with GW2's pvp, but if you are just starting with it, it is a very simple game where you can join pvp very quickly and with little or no amount of skill required.

I agree with your points on GW2, i tried it out at release and i found GW2 pvp to be lacking to say the least.

Im not found of zerg pvp.

Im interested in DF, so ill check it out. But i figured it didnt have that much people playing it? Or am i wrong?

Anyway, thanks for the very informative post! :)

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Im tempted to try out BF Hardline when it drops, but im not sure if a shooter can hold my attention that long.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Grimmx

I agree with your points on GW2, i tried it out at release and i found GW2 pvp to be lacking to say the least.

Im interested in DF, so ill check it out. But i figured it didnt have that much people playing it? Or am i wrong?

Thats not what I read over on the Darkfall forums. 

Most players agree, the game is very not solo friendly.   Also the population is not great, as most of the solo'er's have left due to inability to counter the zerg.   Don't believe me, then I suggest check the forums.

But if you want OW full loot PvP, I don't see much else competing with it, at least that you could call a complete game.

Life is Feudal looks interesting, and is playable, but isn't a full release yet.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Lineage 2 has the best pvp of any mmo ever made.

Full Open World PVP, Castle Sieges, Fort Sieges, Ceremony Of Chaos, Clan Wars, PVP Arenas spread through out the world, Monthly Olympiad PVP Tournament that crowns the best pvp player of each class in the game.

If you ever reach high level in Lineage 2 and become a part of a pvp clan that's involved in politics you will never look at another pvp game the same.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I have played lots of MMO's, but i think i need players that actually stuck to their MMO's and did pvp on a high lvl to tell me why they like pvp in THEIR game.

Im mostly playing solo. I dont like pay to win games.

Id dont like EVE...i need to play a character.

I dont mind grinding, but skill should matter the most. Not only template/gear.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to answer.  :)

It really depends on what you consider 'good' PvP. Different styles of PvP function very differently, and based on your preference different games will be your answer.

If you're looking for large scale warfare (RvR), then it'd have to be between DAoC, GW2, and ESO. Keep in mind this style of combat focuses more on group strategy, than personal skill. Because of this, it can seem 'zergy' unless you are playing with a group that's coordinated (which every single one of those games has). It makes a huge difference between solo playing around 100s of players, and being part of a larger force using tactics & baiting other armies into bad situations.

If you're looking for more personal skill-based PvP, you have a few options. GW2 has probably the most skill-based on the market currently. It's matchmaking can be a bit messy at times (i.e. sometimes you get qued with / against pretty bad teams), but overall it's very well done, and a good player can win against multiple other lesser-skilled opponents. Even with a more fragile build. Don't confuse this w/ WvW, because GW2 has 2 different kinds of PvP (3 if you count EotM). Structured PvP (the PvP lobby) is a much smaller scale (5v5) pvp mode that is anything but zergy.

If ur willing to try MOBAs, Smite is one of the best MOBAs on the market right now, and it's combat feels very similar to that of an MMO. It's very skillbased, and has a lot of depth if you're willing to take it that far strategically.

If you want more casual (less-skill heavy) pvp games there are FFXIV, Rift, WoW, TSW, SWTOR, etc. They all have semi-fun bite sized pvp, but they're all pretty shallow gameplay wise.

• GandoresGandores Member UncommonPosts: 55

Best PVP in a MMO?

Still in goddamn Age of Wushu.

Here's why :

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/the-art-of-wushu-learning-the-basics-of-combat/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/the-art-of-wushu-offense-is-the-best-defense/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/the-art-of-wushu-the-truth-about-mind-games-and-timing/

Posts are a bit old but are still relevant, even with all the new stuff.  And he explains it better than i ever could.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

I believe

Best PVP in MMORPG : EVE Online

Best PVP in MMO or MOBA : League of Legends/Dota 2

Best legacy MMORPG for PVP: UO hands down

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

I had a few problems with GW2. 

1.  You would have 40 people all standing on the same spot so they could power boost.

2.  They are the only mmo that managed to make Strafe completely useless.

Why ESO was better.

1.  You would have 40 people spread out fighting against another 40 people all doing different things to kill each other.

2.  Controls make you feel more alive and skilled.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I vote WoW. It's the most fun anyways, IMO.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

Full Open World PVP, Castle Sieges, Fort Sieges, Ceremony Of Chaos, Clan Wars, PVP Arenas spread through out the world, Monthly Olympiad PVP Tournament that crowns the best pvp player of each class in the game.

If you ever reach high level in Lineage 2 and become a part of a pvp clan that's involved in politics you will never look at another pvp game the same.

Isnt L2 pay to win?

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

Isnt L2 pay to win?

I would consider it pay to win now, but it wasn't always

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    The best PvP mechanics in any MMORPG has Darkfall Unholy Wars. Saddly it has no Free-Trial yet but one will be added in the next 2 Patches ( within 1 month)
    Originally posted by Gandores

Best PVP in a MMO?

Still in goddamn Age of Wushu.

Here's why :

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/the-art-of-wushu-learning-the-basics-of-combat/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/the-art-of-wushu-offense-is-the-best-defense/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/19/the-art-of-wushu-the-truth-about-mind-games-and-timing/

Posts are a bit old but are still relevant, even with all the new stuff.  And he explains it better than i ever could.

I could agree about Age of Wushu.

AMAZING game.

Run by one of the worst most trash tier companies you'll find.

Originally posted by Niburu
    The best PvP mechanics in any MMORPG has Darkfall Unholy Wars. Saddly it has no Free-Trial yet but one will be added in the next 2 Patches ( within 1 month)

That is excellent news!!!  I've been wanting to try Darkfall for a long time but I always just manage to miss the limited free trials they do for odd reasons.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

The best PvP I've ever experienced was in Everquest.  This was simply because the game was fun and highly competitive without PvP, so when PvP entered the equation it worked naturally.  It just goes to show you no matter how great the combat is or how many abilities you throw at players, if you don't have a game worth playing and something worth fighting over, the PvP ends up being boring.

Also, EQ had proper classes with a lot of diversity, so it combat was strategic instead of modern PvP games where every class can be aggressive.

These points are where modern PvP games fall miserably short.

• seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Thats not what I read over on the Darkfall forums. 

Most players agree, the game is very not solo friendly.   Also the population is not great, as most of the solo'er's have left due to inability to counter the zerg.   Don't believe me, then I suggest check the forums.

But if you want OW full loot PvP, I don't see much else competing with it, at least that you could call a complete game.

Life is Feudal looks interesting, and is playable, but isn't a full release yet.

The game has a lot of issues but it is solid for pvp. Zerg problem exists and population has always been an issue but even with all the flaws I'm confident to say its the best around at least for what its offering.

About population being low, game has a lot of hardcore players who drop subs when bored or not satisfied with patches, one or two good updates and the game will regain its population. A few months ago it had a really high ranking with a lot of people playing, and now I hear it is lower, never is stable. As the game's genre suggests though, it will never be a popular game solely for the full loot reasons.

First thing to do would be joining a clan and after that point you can roam with people, duel in their cities or participate in sieges.

Most importantly DFUW forum is complete toxic, I know as I was a part of it myself. There is nothing but drama in there, but this should also tell you that there is a lot of rivalry and hate going on among some of the certain clans and players, more competition more fun. What I'm saying is, dont take forum to be any example of what's going on in the game.

I have to tell you though, it is a love or hate game, you either will join a fun clan with nice people and have fun doing stuff or get ganked a few times, join a shit clan and feel forced out of the game. After a while you can choose to play solo as well contrary to what people say. As solo you have no strings attached like having to show up to sieges or not killing allies blah blah. You can just go out on your ship and pirate, or roam on your own. Watch over big fights and kill the survivors.

I'd suggest trying it out for anyone who doesnt have a stable game already, worst case you wont like it.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    I vote WoW. It's the most fun anyways, IMO.

Some of the most fun/heart pounding PVP I have played was actually in WoW.  Back in PVP server (Warsong) vanilla days STV and Tauren Mill were both meat grinders.  Me and my four other mates who always roamed there together while using teamspeak made for some really fun times. *wipes tear from eyes*  Alas, those moments in MMOs are so fleeting now a days.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ZyzzUmirinBrahZyzzUmirinBrah Member UncommonPosts: 11

I made an account just to respond lol.

When I play mmo's i usually invest allot of time in pvp. I've played allot of mmo's in the past..and TERA:RISING.. atm is it for me.

They're coming with a patch this month on the 24th link: http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/tera-rising/tera-update-adds-new-guild-housing-system-skycastles.

Fixes open world GVG..making it meaningful, and rewarding. 

Can literally raid castles in the sky(guild), according to what i read.

And your guild can claim, and capture others.

Video of patch gameplay:

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of wushu then ESO. Eso gets the edge for being an wester aaa. Nothing compare to Cyrodiil in the industry. Couple that with chracter development and a block button are the reasons why I play.

Age of wushu on pure pvp systems. A civil FFA world is all you need to know. It too has a block button and great chracter development.

@ nanfoodle gw2 does not have factions... Every one plays the same faction... ESO has 3 factions. Wushu has a multitude of factions player and dev made
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"