Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla Forums Reaction Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Hulluck

DARK THEME PLEASE.

We'll have a dark theme, don't worry. And there's no downvoting involved at all. I've mentioned this numerous times already. :)

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Just hope it doesn't turn into Imgur with gifs of "Awesome" and stuff like that.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    no reaction system needed if someone needs to tell you that they liked or LOLed at your post ... they can post a reply.
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    no reaction system needed if someone needs to tell you that they liked or LOLed at your post ... they can post a reply.

They aren't mutually exclusive. Do both! :)

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by MikeB

DARK THEME PLEASE.

We'll have a dark theme, don't worry. And there's no downvoting involved at all. I've mentioned this numerous times already. :)

I'm just grinding it in.  I've seen you say it. 

Think the system.. I don't think having any basic site functionality tied to this system is good.  Anything to powerful could be abused.  Fancy emotes. Titles. Ok.  I understand you all want to get with the times as far as social media in an attempt to draw more traffic or get people to spend more time on this site. Anything I say I guess I am just parroting what has already been said in much better form by some others.

I know this.  Often seems like there are really slow postings in the recent tab. You all are probably trying to solve that. Shocking how slow it seems to get really. Honestly, do what want you all want initially and forget everything else. Wait till the system is in place. If it doesn't work as planned you can modify

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

If someone quotes a person you have blocked, will I still see their post? That's how it is now and I wish it wasn't like that.
    Thanks

Also, viewing this site on my phone always forces to mobile version no matter my phone settings. Will that be a thing of the past?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

DARK THEME PLEASE.

8   [LIKES] [DISLIKES]  5

I kid. ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

DARK THEME PLEASE.

8   [LIKES] [DISLIKES]  5

I kid. ;)

Those racist 5.

I kid.  :)

Originally posted by Foomerang

If someone quotes a person you have blocked, will I still see their post? That's how it is now and I wish it wasn't like that.
    Thanks

Also, viewing this site on my phone always forces to mobile version no matter my phone settings. Will that be a thing of the past?

Unsure on the ignore functionality. Will have to look into it.

Looks like it's forced for the mobile right now, unsure if we can add a switch to full site for the forums, but I don't see why you'd want to. The mobile experience will be vastly improved.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ecoces

They aren't mutually exclusive. Do both! :)

Well, why can't you add a user preference to turn off all these fun features for their own posts?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Please don't have reactions.  Please?
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang If someone quotes a person you have blocked, will I still see their post? That's how it is now and I wish it wasn't like that. Thanks Also, viewing this site on my phone always forces to mobile version no matter my phone settings. Will that be a thing of the past?
    Unsure on the ignore functionality. Will have to look into it.

Looks like it's forced for the mobile right now, unsure if we can add a switch to full site for the forums, but I don't see why you'd want to. The mobile experience will be vastly improved.

Ah I see thank you! It does look a lot better
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Looks like many users are concerned or dont want it for one or another reason.

Still i bet we'll get it in one way or another.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,980

This thread should be in the Pub, that's where people see things. Yes this is about the site, but this is something MMORPG is doing to the site, not our suggestions for the site.

I understand that people were getting the wrong idea about 'dislike' in my thread, but a 'like' is no different from Insightful, Agree, Awesome.

No option should be there to bury posts, go with your gut Mike, you already are dubious of what's going to happen with the 'off topic' response. It seems as clear as day to me that will just explode if it goes live. You could have 'off topic' without it burying posts of course.

I notice you have not done a poll, I think MMORPG may be in denial about the fact that most posters do not want this. Remember we are not all old dinosaurs who resist change and don't understand what a good thing this will be. I use the Marvel Hero forums, I think the vast majority of those who voted 'NO' have used a site like that. We know what it involves and years ago decided we preferred the MMORPG 'no voting' system.

Originally posted by Volgore

I changed my mind on it shortly after my first post. Honestly they should go with what they want first. Try it, it might work out. They are no doubt trying to draw the attention of more traffic with a better site. Or maybe not. If the reaction to the forums after the dust settles is that bad. One thing I know is that people really don't know what they want half the time. Opinions vary.

Ask anyone here about the definition of sandbox. 

Don't limit forum / posting functionality with it. Dark them (which they are going to do). 

The only thing that I think will really upset people is: Will their join dates be reset. There will be a flood of posts for months maybe a year if they are. Which might have been talked about already.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,980
    Originally posted by Volgore

I changed my mind on it shortly after my first post. Honestly they should go with what they want first. Try it, it might work out. They are no doubt trying to draw the attention of more traffic with a better site. Or maybe not. If the reaction to the forums after the dust settles is that bad. One thing I know is that people really don't know what they want half the time. Opinions vary.

Ask anyone here about the definition of sandbox. 

Don't limit forum / posting functionality with it. Dark them (which they are going to do). 

The only thing that I think will really upset people is: Will their join dates be reset. There will be a flood of posts for months maybe a year if they are. Which might have been talked about already.

Thing is you can go over to Marvel Heroes to see what it is like. "You are not just a one hit wonder" will ping after creating your second thread. Tat like that makes you grit your teeth very soon after joining.

Advice on migrating database: there is no way to guarantee any database transfer will be 100% OK. So save any pictures particularly your avatar to ensure you have it on the new system. Maybe your signature if you insist on using one. :)

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I think I'm liable to not use the system at all and just continue to post opinions on certain posts/articles as I do now.  I don't care for the like/dislike system.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Iselin

As I've said a couple f times already, without a dislike, the LOL option will be used as the dislike surrogate just like it currently is in the Vanilla forum I frequent, ESO's.

And no, I don't want a dislike either. 

Thing is, they're helping whoever they give a LOL rank up, earn points for the leaderboards, and acquire badges. Again, like anything else, if it becomes problematic, it's as simple as clicking a button for me to turn it off. :)

Just to keep harping about my pet peeve... with the remake of their vanilla forum yesterday, ESO removed the "LOL" option since it had become the "dislike" replacement.

And I've already seen warnings not to use one word replies just saying "LOL"... no 10 character minimum I guess... although, if there was one, people would just post "LOL ten char" instead image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED