Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess when Crowfall started its development process?

ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
Early 2013 using middleware. Release could easily be just around the corner. Development goes fast with middleware and an expert team.

Comments

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Parepin
    Early 2013 using middleware. Release could easily be just around the corner. Development goes fast with middleware and an expert team.

Well in two weeks or so , we will see what the big announcement brings. 

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311

^ This

I have been saying this on the official forums.

I really think its going to come out this year. True sandboxes don't take that long.

Witty & Wicked >:)

• kgsavatarkgsavatar Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by VveV

^ This

I really think its going to come out this year. True sandboxes don't take that long.

If this is true, it makes me wonder why they were talking about funding to get the game completed the other day.  They were basically saying "hey, we will need funding and we have several routes we can go, but we want to answer to the players and not some publisher overlords"  Of course I am paraphrasing, but you get the gist.

Here is a link to post: 02/04/15 - Update From The Founders

I am curious about what they will announce/release once the counter reaches 0.  I hope it is some kind of alpha or beta test offer.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Nothing will speed up quality game design.Automation such as world generators and freeware textures that are abundant on the internet all save a developer time,but ends up a fast tossed together game rather than a hand designed game  that looks like every idea in the game has a purpose.What i see a ton of in game now days is some models then repeat them all over the game world,case in point H1Z1 and even using only 1 Zombie model.Stuff like that is a super cheap effort.

I might also add that 5 years has not proven to be long enough for the quality i want to see from any developer,so pushing a game sooner than that ,tells me it is a lot of automation and a lot of missing components.

Also the game i always say is the best ever ,took 5 years and never broke even until 5 years later,now days developers are only putting in enough cost they figure can turn an instant profit.IMO there is absolutely no way you can turn a profit before 2-3 years unless your game  is extremely shallow.

What we seem to be calling "Sandbox" now a days is nothing more than empty worlds,unfinished games and early access to make money from these very poor efforts.

How much you bet ,this game also goes early access,everyone is doing it now,the Industry went from weak to far worse ,seems over night.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

^ This

Darkfall took 9 years to develop.....

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Keller

^ This

Thats because like 3 guys created it in their basement while eating mom's meatloaf.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by DMKano

^ This

Sandbox or any game can take as long or as little depending on how much polish and features the dev wants to put in.

AAA polished game will take 4+ years regardless of sandbox/thempark/whatever

The reveal will be a gameplay video - they are long ways from completion.

Not to mention content, it takes time to, not just bug fix, clean up graphics, whatever, it takes time to create any amount of content for a game, and a game made that quickly, would by necessity, be 'content lite' and i can only imagine how buggy it might be.image

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242

^ This

Sandbox or any game can take as long or as little depending on how much polish and features the dev wants to put in.

not knowing when it's finished and "stop touching it idiot" has destroyed many great works of art :P

• NefastusNefastus Member Posts: 71

^ This

From scratch, building their own engine, with 5 people total and thinks picked up when Aventurine picked them up... and screwed everything up in the process ;)

Nefastus - Enclave

^ This

From what they have been saying and showing in the forums.

I thinks its close.  >......>

At least beta....

Originally posted by Nefastus

^ This

From scratch, building their own engine, with 5 people total and thinks picked up when Aventurine picked them up... and screwed everything up in the process ;)

^ This.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Wizardry

What we seem to be calling "Sandbox" now a days is nothing more than empty worlds,unfinished games and early access to make money from these very poor efforts.

Uh...

A sandbox is empty. Its just sand, in a box.

Until someone gets in there with there little shovel and bucket and starts building sandcastles.

Oh, and Tonka trucks, gotta have Tonka trucks. Vroom Vroom!

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Parepin Early 2013 using middleware. Release could easily be just around the corner. Development goes fast with middleware and an expert team.
    What do you mean by middleware. That can be a rather ambiguous term and you're not using in the context I've seen it used in development up to this point.

Middleware is what you use when you are in the middle of making your game. DUH!
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by paulytheb

Uh...

Until someone gets in there with there little shovel and bucket and starts building sandcastles.

Actually its more like just a box and your parents on a bench across the street sipping lattes and telling you to use your imagination.

Originally posted by Dullahan

Uh...

Actually its more like just a box and your parents on a bench across the street sipping lattes and telling you to use your imagination.

Nope.

He got it right.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    They've specifically stated that they're very early in development.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I thought I read "early alpha" somewhere. 

I'd guess 18 months at the soonest. 

but i've been wrong before. 

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Sandbox is another name for a litterbox and no those are not tootsie-rolls!
  • ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by Osmanthus
    Sandbox is another name for a litterbox and no those are not tootsie-rolls!

lol, proper retard going all out here!

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Its good to dream

• SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

It's more than a year, as suggested here "We believe in Crowfall -- so much, in fact, that we've invested our savings and went without salaries for over a year to get this venture started." (link).

I believe we'll find out in 8 days. 

Its purely speculations on my behalf, but it should be close to Shroud of the Avatar in terms of development.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

^ This

What exactly are you basing this off of?

SWG took 3 1/2 years, so did Eve...actually cant think of ANY sandbox games that didn't take 3+ years.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    It's not beta so my guess is a fully working demo of the game and more lore.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Uh...

Nope.

He got it right.

Except "sandboxes" these days are less about building in a box together and more about "everyone is the mean bully who kicks your sandcastle down."

You can't fight back because it's just you and your one friend against 10 bullies, so you just take your shovel and tonka truck and go home. The 10 bullies stick around for a while, stomping on the sand until they're bored and go looking for another sandbox hoping to find someone else who's building something so they can kick it down too. Because they're not interested in the sandbox, they only get their joy from ruining yours.

This seems to be the current lifecycle for sandboxes. The number of people who want to build a world is absolutely dwarfed by the number of people who want to destroy. Until this imbalance is somehow rectified, we will continue to see the same scenario play out over and over.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

^ This

That would get me hyped up, but without hearing a release date nearby...I'm done getting stoked for games that are in early development.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"