Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for a returning player?

BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

So I've recently been trying to get back into GW2...

I've got a level 80 Guardian, all rare and a few exotic level 80 gear.

Only at about 52% total map completion.

I'm kind of unsure what I should be doing to progress my character?

I want to run some dungeons to buy/unlock a specific set of gear for looks - but do you have to have a full group to do dungeons? I'm talking about the Manor or whatever.

I see these "fractals" thing - but really have no idea what it is.

No real interest in sPvP or WvW at this time.

I haven't played in... quite a while. I was not around for the fall of Lion's Arch, the Lost Shore, Dust something - whatever all of that stuff is.

I see I can buy purple rings and stuff with Laurels, so I'm guessing that should be my next step to progression, but I'm a bit lost.

So what do people (PvE) do every day in GW2?

I really only play like an hour a few days a week, but I don't want to waste time really on anything easily replaced with the expansion. 

Comments

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145

Groups are required for dungeons use the lfg tool. You should tell your group that you are inexperienced at the run from the onset.

Fractals are a quasi random series of dungeons the type and order of these dungeons determined as you enter.  The "level" of the fractal (difficulty) is set by the first group member to enter the portal.  You have a personal fractal reward level based on successful fractal completions above your personal level. 

Fractal bosses employ a mechanic called agony, the higher the level of the fractal the more powerful these attacks are (not really an issue below 10) you will need to slot agony resistance into your ascended items to run higher level fractals.  The rewards scale based on personal level and fractal. Once are both 10 or over you have a daily chance to earn an ascended ring on completion and also earn currency that can be used to purchase these rings and upgrade items.  Start out running very low level fractals, you won't benefit from higher levels until you build up your personal level.

If you are part of a large guild you can run guild missions every week, the rewards from these can be used to purchase ascended earrings, you can buy/obtain ascended rings from fractals (also ascended backpiece but that is bit of a grind).

You should spend laurels on an ascended necklace because they are not obtainable through other means. If you have wvw currency at all you can get big discounts on laurel purchase by purchasing from wvw vendors.

The expansion is a way off we don't know what changes in gear progression there will be (if any).

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I don't think anything is going to be replaced by the expansion coming out.

I also agree with the previous poster.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Fractals drop Ascended Rings if that's what you are after. However, fractals is pretty much.. get rings - upgrade them with agony resistance - get to higher levels - get more gear - more AR -  rinse and repeat.

Kind of pointless but then again gear grind is always pointless isn't it?

The newest pve zone for farming are the Silverwastes which you can reach through Brisban. That zone is more for farming money, titles and a unique shiny armor set though.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by BadSpock

So I've recently been trying to get back into GW2...

I've got a level 80 Guardian, all rare and a few exotic level 80 gear.

Only at about 52% total map completion.

I'm kind of unsure what I should be doing to progress my character?

I want to run some dungeons to buy/unlock a specific set of gear for looks - but do you have to have a full group to do dungeons? I'm talking about the Manor or whatever.

I see these "fractals" thing - but really have no idea what it is.

No real interest in sPvP or WvW at this time.

I haven't played in... quite a while. I was not around for the fall of Lion's Arch, the Lost Shore, Dust something - whatever all of that stuff is.

I see I can buy purple rings and stuff with Laurels, so I'm guessing that should be my next step to progression, but I'm a bit lost.

So what do people (PvE) do every day in GW2?

I really only play like an hour a few days a week, but I don't want to waste time really on anything easily replaced with the expansion. 

The one and best advice i'd give you is to leave this board of haters and just check out the reddit community. There are countless links about new and returning players, including youtube channels of people doing vids recapping what has been going on lately. 

• GaleOmGaleOm Member UncommonPosts: 28

- if you hunt bosses you got every 15min something to do    http://dulfy.net/2014/04/23/event-timer/

- in Dry Top there are multiple event all over the map every 5min   http://gw2timer.com/

- in Silverwastes events occur all time all over the map

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Leon1e

The one and best advice i'd give you is to leave this board of haters 

Telling a member of 04 to leave this board is not really helpful.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by Leon1e

The one and best advice i'd give you is to leave this board of haters 

Telling a member of 04 to leave this board is not really helpful.

Not leave the boards forever. What I tried to say is that ... i doubt he'll get the help he needed in this forum in particular. The amount of hate Gw2 gets in here is a bit over the top. 

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415
    i am in pretty much the same boat...the xpansion announcement got me and a buddy to reinstall and i have been gone pretty much the same amount of time as this guy...hoping rangers dont still suck.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

navigate your way to the silverwastes (west side of Brisban)

press Y then switch to LFG tool.

look for a taxi group named "SW" and a percentage (the higher the percentage, the closer to vinewrath endboss fight) join the group, r click on top player and choose "join in silverwastes" then leave the group after saying ty of course.

start clearing the map as much as possible, take time to guard the keeps when you can but try to be on the west side of the map for Vinewrath (100%)

Ask people about what to do for each path, or check out dulfy.

There is a lot more to it than that, but you'll come across the other stuff naturally by doing that.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

With the announcement of the expansion I too have come back to GW2.  I hadn't played since about 3 months after launch. Maybe 2.  I didn't want to get on my 80 Engineer because I have no idea what to do or where to go.

So I rerolled a new character and have been noticing slight changes in the game even at the beginning.  They have removed some quests and rearranged others, at least in Foothills.  It is pretty cool.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Currently, the endgame for PVE:

• Dungeons/Fractals
    • World Bosses
    • Dry Top & Silverwastes
    • Living Story

..and then there's other things such as Collections, Dailies, Achievements, etc.

Most people are doing living story & silverwastes right now though, since they are the newest additions to the game.

My advice is to use the LFG tool though, and join an Open World event.  Once you join a group, just right click their portrait and click the "Join in.." option, and if it doesn't show up, that means the map might be full.

Edit: If you want to do world bosses and make some gold, go here and find the waypoints for the current event, then follow the zerg.  http://dulfy.net/2014/04/23/event-timer/