Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a MOBA!

GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151

Hello all,

I know MOBAs are not MMORPGs, but I am extremely familiar with mmos and am looking to get into a moba, I need suggestions based on what I am looking for.

I know that there is a war between LoL and DOTA fans, I want to be clear that I am not looking for a fanboy suggestion but rather something that suits me.

It is also possible that there would not be something exactly suitable to my needs, to please recommend something as close as possible. Here are the things I'm looking for:

1) I already play a lot of mmos, so I am looking for a moba I can play casually, short games and easy to get into.

2) I don't mind paying for games, but I am not looking for a greedy game where I would have to dish hundreds of dollars just to be able to compete with others.

3) Balance is important to me, I downloaded and played DOTA 2 for 2 games and in both games I was being one shoted while I could barely damage other players, yes I know that I'm a newbie so I probably did buy the right items, but one shoting and losing almost all the money I made that run does not help me get better, there should be some kid of balance.

4) Populated, doesn't need to have millions of players, but I don't want to wait half an hour to find a game either.

Please recommend what you think would be best for me, I appreciate the help!

Comments

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

I recommend giving Smite a shot. Great game IMO

I recommend starting by playing either Arena or Assault. I would stay out of the other game modes until you feel comfortable with some of the gods.

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60

You could buy into the heroes of the storm beta, quick casual moba, very fun and polished.  Not gonna stress you out like dota or league tend to do :)

It has no pay to win features and gameplay is balanced.  Definitely should check it out, seems to take care of your bullet points.

• shadownight311shadownight311 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I agree give smite ago,alot of fun, very easy to get into. Also you can buy the god pack for only $30 or so and get all current and future gods to play with.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Meriik

You could buy into the heroes of the storm beta, quick casual moba, very fun and polished.  Not gonna stress you out like dota or league tend to do :)

It has no pay to win features and gameplay is balanced.  Definitely should check it out, seems to take care of your bullet points.

It will stress you out damn it!  But, it's mainly just ignorant jerks who act like their pro and complain about the team while their the only ones not being a team player.

But, love the shit out of the game :D.

Edit:  @OP I would consider DOTA 2 extremely balanced but it requires a lot of game knowledge and time see it that way.  Because well as I described to my friend everyone in imbalanced making it balanced :D.

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by NetSage
    Originally posted by Meriik

It will stress you out damn it!  But, it's mainly just ignorant jerks who act like their pro and complain about the team while their the only ones not being a team player.

But, love the shit out of the game :D.

Edit:  @OP I would consider DOTA 2 extremely balanced but it requires a lot of game knowledge and time see it that way.  Because well as I described to my friend everyone in imbalanced making it balanced :D.

Ignorant players who treat everyone like noobs are everywhere, and most of the time they are the only noobs. As for DOTA 2, actually in both games where i was being one shotted, it was the same character, Sven, and when I researched it online, everyone is saying how Sven is OP!! The game is still installed, and will try again, but my other issue with it is that the games I played were over an hour, I don't want that!

I am downloading Smite as we speak so thanks for the suggestion. As for Heroes of the storm, I will not try it, I refuse to pay for beta testing a game, any game that is, especially not for a company like Blizzard, in my way of seeing things, I find it illogical (no disrespect) that this new way of doing things is actually working with the customers, it shows how desperate for a good game the players are starting to get. Founder packs is just you paying for beta testing, and it should be the other way around, the testers should be the ones getting paid. That is my opinion at least.

Guys, please continue to throw suggestions my way, I appreciate it!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by bestever
    Smite is a good choice. I'm not a big moba person but love that game. Hope you enjoy:)

I agree and feel the same.  Smite has some great quick down and dirty PVP modes if you don't feel like pushing several lanes.  Plus the variety in how each god plays is incredible not to mention you can easily unlock the gods you want with hardly any effort making it's f2p model awesome for what it is.  I have definitely spent more hours PVPing in that game than I have spent in most MMO I have played.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

SMITE, LoL, or DOTA 2.  Don't waste your money on HotS.  Gigantic is looking like a good game and Overwatch is around the corner and made by blizzard.

For short easy games I'd probably recommend LoL followed by SMITE if you like a MMO type of perspective for your MOBA.  DOTA 2 will drag you through a hour match full of nerd rage easily, it's closer to a "hardcore MOBA" with its losing gold on death and deny mechanics.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by Golarum

Hello all,

I know MOBAs are not MMORPGs, but I am extremely familiar with mmos and am looking to get into a moba, I need suggestions based on what I am looking for.

I know that there is a war between LoL and DOTA fans, I want to be clear that I am not looking for a fanboy suggestion but rather something that suits me.

It is also possible that there would not be something exactly suitable to my needs, to please recommend something as close as possible. Here are the things I'm looking for:

1) I already play a lot of mmos, so I am looking for a moba I can play casually, short games and easy to get into.

2) I don't mind paying for games, but I am not looking for a greedy game where I would have to dish hundreds of dollars just to be able to compete with others.

3) Balance is important to me, I downloaded and played DOTA 2 for 2 games and in both games I was being one shoted while I could barely damage other players, yes I know that I'm a newbie so I probably did buy the right items, but one shoting and losing almost all the money I made that run does not help me get better, there should be some kid of balance.

4) Populated, doesn't need to have millions of players, but I don't want to wait half an hour to find a game either.

I recommend smite for a good 3rd person style moba with more direct control or strife for a true moba feel. Both are easy to understand and fun to play. I would avoid LoL at least until you are better due to the toxic community it has fostered. Strife has a nice rule that anyone in your lane will get gold for a kill, unlike LoL/Dota ect where only the one who kills them gets the gold. (assist don't really help in those games) Not to mention strife does not lock any champions out of the game so you have access to them all from the start. It is still n beta but it is worth a try imo.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

So I tried Smite this morning and I have to say that it's amazing, simple and fun. I downloaded LoL and Strife also, hated LoL, Strife I have yet to try. So for now Smite blows LoL and DOTA 2 out of the water for me. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.
    So I tried Smite this morning and I have to say that it's amazing, simple and fun. I downloaded LoL and Strife also, hated LoL, Strife I have yet to try. So for now Smite blows LoL and DOTA 2 out of the water for me. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

NP strife is a tamer version of LoL where smite is quite literally a 3rd person moba not a top down moba.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

DOTA2 is the best moba. It's the only one that is not p2w at all. It has a lot of players, frequent updates, huge tournaments and so on.

Yes, you lost some DOTA2 games because you were new. You then had two options:

a) Ask a better player what you did wrong, and learn, to avoid those mistakes and become better yourself.

b) Blame the game.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Smite (just as the others professed) is probably the best one if you are just starting out.

When I first played LoL I had a great experience, all the champions were available right from the start and there was only a brief 3 minute tutorial with the champion Ashe. If you are just now getting into LoL your experience is going to be a nightmare. LoL doesn't give you all the champions to try anymore just a select few and your first 20 games will be versus bots... boring. When you finally get to PvP it will seem like the only players new to the game are the ones on your team and the other team has all the Smurfs (experienced players starting anew).

With that being said, i'd still recommend LoL over Dota. Dota does provide you with the entire roster from the start, but the "skill" in the game comes from counterpicking not skill shots and the team fights only seem to last a few seconds. When you die in Dota you lose money, not really a problem if you know what your doing if you have somebody on your team thats unskilled it makes it harder to come back.

None of these games are PTW

Originally posted by maji

DOTA2 is the best moba. It's the only one that is not p2w at all. It has a lot of players, frequent updates, huge tournaments and so on.

a) Ask a better player what you did wrong, and learn, to avoid those mistakes and become better yourself.

b) Blame the game.

Actually strife is right up there with dota on the not P2W all champs are free only thing money buys is an un needed account boost (3 bucks for perma boost) and skins.

Originally posted by maji

b) Blame the game.

Well I'm not going to start a huge debate on this, as I know we wouldn't finish, dota 2 is not my cup of tea, tried it and didn't like it. Personally, I don't agree that I have to stick with a game I didn't like from the start, it only works in the case of mmos, as gameplay progresses as you level, but mobas are the same over and over, it's like an fps, gameplay doesn't change, you just become better at it.

Secondly, I know that if I get more skilled, I will better understand the mechanics and strategies behind everything, but getting one shotted has nothing to do with strategy, there were 2 enemies that made no sense to me, juggernaut I think the name of the first who was one shotting me by stealthing and backstabbing me, and second was Sven who was one shotting me with regular attacks. Now, if you get one shotted by an enemy, no skill in the world can make the situation different, you cannot react if you're dead, right?

to me, in no game, whatever genre it is, should you be able to one shot another player of the same lvl as you.

So I was able to try Strife now, and I will be keeping Smite as my main moba. I'm loving the arena type game, it's amazing, I prefer it to the typical lane/tower type game.

I'm playing the assassin, who I don't know why they call assassin, as she's more of a warrior type character, hard to master, but i'm loving the style and am getting good at it, finished first in my first pvp game.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

Congrats Gol.  It is indeed a great game.  You will run into people who will be a$$hats but keep plugging a long. I have all but 4 of the gods unlocked and I havent spent a dime. 

Its not pay to win in any way which I truly appreciate. 

Originally posted by Howry

Congrats Gol.  It is indeed a great game.  You will run into people who will be a$$hats but keep plugging a long. I have all but 4 of the gods unlocked and I havent spent a dime. 

Its not pay to win in any way which I truly appreciate. 

Thanks! I was actually a little impatient so I unlocked all heroes for 30$ which to me is a good deal, it's like buying a cheap game :)

And in 2 days, I have yet to meet a troll in game, actually I've only been getting help from players when I say I'm new, which is awesome!

• S-mmoS-mmo Member UncommonPosts: 47

Hello all,

Is not a lot to say.there are 3 tiers of moba

1.Hard core - very hard 

DOTA 2

2.Casual -pritty easy

Smite

League of legends

3.Easy MOBA,  just for fun

All the rest of the moba games.

Nothing more to add.Just go and select your tier of difficulty and have fun

Note : Or you can go and play Project gorgon.Play it for 3 days and after tell me your impression ,i am sure you will not need any more a moba ^^

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289

- LoL was the first MOBA

- Alienware has more GeeBees therefore making it the best PC

- Hodor

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Hello all,

I'll break down the main 3 MOBAs atm for ya, then give my recommendation:

1) League of Legends. This is perhaps the easiest MOBA to get into. The balance isn't bad, it's the most popular MOBA, and the learning curve isn't that terribly high compared to other MOBAs. It's kind of the middle-of-the-road MOBA if you aren't looking for any extremes as far as gameplay.

2) DOTA2. This game has the highest mechanical / game knowledge cap out of all the MOBAs. The game has a surprisingly large amount of nuance that can add up very fast if you're playing with players who understand how to exploit them. For example, there are lots of strats that revolve around pulling creeps in different ways, manipulating monster spawns, clever ward placements, denying kills (killing your own teammates deliberately), etc. etc. etc. And that's all in addition to understanding what items to build and the intricacies of each champion. This game is great for those who enjoy hardcore strategy, and heavy theory crafting.

- The way DOTA2 handles balance can be a shock to newer players. Basically every character feels overpowered as hell, but they also all have counters. So, if you don't understand how to counter each character then you will repeatedly get hit by things that feel extremely unfair. However, once you understand the game more you can do some really fun combos.

3) SMITE. This is the MOBA that feels most like an MMO in terms of combat. This game has a high emphasis on personal skill, as basically everything is a skill shot of some kind or another. It also shared DOTA2's sense of game balance, so when you start there are a lot of combos that seem unfair. However, similar to DOTA2, the balance is actually surprisingly good (possibly even better, depending on your personal philosophy on balance). There are really only a couple (out of 62 currently) characters that you rarely see get played. This game also has the most varied game modes, so if you aren't fan of the extremely tactical main map mode, you can play less serious / more casual game modes if that's your thing.

***Recommendation: SMITE. It will probably feel the most comfortable for you, and it's a surprisingly good game tbh. It's biggest downside is that it needs more players atm. There are still a decent amount of people playing, but because they don't have numbers similar to LoL or DoTA, sometimes the matchmaking suffers and you get games that can feel a bit unfair.

4) Heroes of the Storm. I'm throwing this in here because it's popular. This game is kind of an anomaly, and is basically popular 'cause Blizzard. This game is basically designed as a MOBA, for people who don't like MOBAs, but still want to play a MOBA, even though they don't like them. Which makes literally no sense, but hey it's Blizzard. Essentially, if you are looking for a MOBA with questionable balance, and which most (if not all) of the strategy that is the foundation for this genre removed, then this is the game for you. Tbh I wouldn't recommend this for anyone unless you are a fan of Blizzard. In which case you probably already know about it (and will likely play it at some point anyway).

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    This funny that no one has said Heroes of Newerth as most seem to like that over League of Legends, not that I wouldn't recommend LoL, just surprised.  There's also a more recent MOBA that is very much like the original DotA but has its own somewhat original characters, though most abilities will be familiar to you, called Chaos Heroes Online, I'd recommend giving that a try. Also, another interesting recent MOBA that is more gothic themed and more customizable when it comes to character's weapons of choice is Deadbreed.  I'd say when it comes to gearing up this one is quite similar to DotA2

imageimage

Originally posted by TaishiFox
    This funny that no one has said Heroes of Newerth as most seem to like that over League of Legends, not that I wouldn't recommend LoL, just surprised.  There's also a more recent MOBA that is very much like the original DotA but has its own somewhat original characters, though most abilities will be familiar to you, called Chaos Heroes Online, I'd recommend giving that a try. Also, another interesting recent MOBA that is more gothic themed and more customizable when it comes to character's weapons of choice is Deadbreed.  I'd say when it comes to gearing up this one is quite similar to DotA2

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked Chaos Heroes online and it's an Aeria game, I refuse to play their game because they're money hungry mongrels lol! Also checked Deadbreed, I will wait until it's fully released, mainly because I like to spend money in the games I like and as I stated in one of my previous comments, I refuse to pay to beta test a game, they should pay me to do so. As for HoN, I will download and try it out, it seems the same as others, but I like trying games before judging them.

Glad you found a moba you like!