Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: The New Face of PvP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The WildStar site has been updated with a new blog post that details forthcoming changes to the game's PvP. Players can expect to see daily, weekly and random PvP events. The team also has plans to add same-faction battlegrounds, PvP contracts, new gear, and prestige purchase power. Lastly, before the end of the year, PvP Season 2 will kick off.

We sincerely appreciate all the feedback our players have already given us on PvP and we’re eager to hear more. So, let’s take a look at the year ahead.

In our next game update, The Protogames Initiative, we will be adding:

• Daily PvP quests that provide players with a variety of PvP related goals to achieve.

• New PvP weekly quests that are accomplished over the course of an entire week.

• Random-queue bonuses that reward players every time they use the ‘random’ queue option.

While these additions will not directly affect the balance or playstyle within PvP, we feel they should provide players with more incentives to participate in PvP on a regular basis.

Read the full proposal on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I was one click away from resubbing last night. Pvp in wildstar isn't my thing, but the dungeon difficulty is, I will probably just go ahead and make that final click tonight, see you at the FCON headquarters.
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I'll give it another shot when new race/class appears. I tried to play every Dominion char, but just couldn't stand those weird skills and move animations... melee combat design is depressing.
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

I'm glad they are having a roundtable with the players to discuss the issues with PvP.  The win-trading and class imbalance, early on, coupled with the matching system that combines similarly geared teams just made it too difficult to break into the next gear tier.  I hope this is looked at heavily.  I'm interested to see what their incentives are for doing other forms of PvP than battlegrounds and arenas.

My favorite pvp experience in Wildstar was organically created in Crimson Badlands.  Exiles were camping an area, making it impossible to complete daily quests, my guild dropped what they were doing to take the place back, the exiles grouped up and gathered more players.  in the end it was probably a 40v40 warzone.  Unfortunately, nothing was gained out of it except a repair bill and maybe 30 prestige (less than a battleground loss).  There was no incentive to do it again.  And without open world PvP, the PvP servers are essentially PvE servers with gankers.

If they get PvP right for Drop 5, Wildstar will be in a stable state.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Really loved the game for a while but after a while I get sick of dodge to win games be it PvP or PvE. My Engineer all dressed up in heavy armor and looked like he was a acrobat.
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Really loved the game for a while but after a while I get sick of dodge to win games be it PvP or PvE. My Engineer all dressed up in heavy armor and looked like he was a acrobat.

Then go back to WoW where you stand there like a human road pylon.

Great update coming and love the communication with the community!

I actually appreciate this 1000x more then I did even before after playing GW2 alot lately. Arenaet= the king of non-communication with their player base.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by TheGoblinKing
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle Really loved the game for a while but after a while I get sick of dodge to win games be it PvP or PvE. My Engineer all dressed up in heavy armor and looked like he was a acrobat.

Thats pretty much what 80% of the population did :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I was one click away from resubbing last night. Pvp in wildstar isn't my thing, but the dungeon difficulty is, I will probably just go ahead and make that final click tonight, see you at the FCON headquarters.

they got dungeon mechanics down!=  been raiding for a few months now. ats its pretty dam amazing!

they need itemization, and pvp fixed= then we have a solid game! althought these pvp fixes leave alot to be desired-  we will see how it pans out.

on a side note, making me chuckle on the population growth from returning players seeking a challenge that they thought they would get from other game expansions...

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by TheGoblinKin

Thats pretty much what 80% of the population did :)

mmmm, as many that have left- are also returning from wow boredom... woopsies.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I have never played a game where standing like a pylon made you a good PvPer. I would rather movement over a dodge mechanic. Like in Wildstar you gain exp for dodging, but if I just stepped out of the damage ring before it went off, no reward. Was training people to jump all over the place when not needed and it looked more like a bunny war over a real war. Gets old and looks bad.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

ETA for the changes "...before the end of the year, PvP Season 2 will kick off."

- Wildstar Team, Jan 2015

I hope the changes are meant to be waaay before S2.

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314

That is a great advice. Considering how stressed WS servers have been due to staggering amount of players everywhere i think telling more people to play WOW would help reduce some pressure on WS server.

I think they really need it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Dodging in WS is dumb (nicely animated but dumb in practice). You have to dodge the telegraph instead of the actual attack. Other games that have dodge you let you effectively dodge an attack without even moving out of the telegraph range if you time it right. In WS is all about moving out of the telly before the attack is performed. Poor combat design IMO.

• NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100

Just going to put this here for all the Bad Combat Design post

http://www.tentonhammer.com/galleries/ten-ton-hammer-best-of-2014-awards

Best Combat - Wildstar

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    I m glad to see game is heading towards the right direction. Btw Drop 4 is coming on February 3rd  :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Norewon

Best Combat - Wildstar

That is as accurate as their Best DLC for Goat Simulator, and best multiplayer for Destiny. Just one websites preference, nothing else.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    Originally posted by Norewon

Best Combat - Wildstar

That is as accurate as their Best DLC for Goat Simulator, and best multiplayer for Destiny. Just one websites preference, nothing else.

Which is just like your opinion, nothing else.

I have never played a game where standing like a pylon made you a good PvPer.

Most of the casting classes in WoW require you to stand still to cast and they are definately awesome pvp classes and spec's in those regards.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    The pvp might be an interesting thing when the game goes F2P.
  • greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

May as well get this now cheap and play for a month . I suspect if Elder Scrolls becomes a success after its March buy to play conversion that it will not be long before Wildstar follows . 

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    The 4 people who are left will be divided into 2 teams of 2 and fight to the death.