Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daily fun

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Atually this is one of the few games i like the dailies in, because it sends me to different areas and/or dungeons to do my bidding each day. And all those areas are still a bit challenging, with things happening all around me ( events)...   

I just travel the world based on my dailies and encounter NPCs and events and players everywhere..  And every thing i enter an area different things happen...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Kudos to you because i can not enjoy daily in any MMO. I am really really sick of this end game mechanic and i wish it would go away and make way for something new and fresh.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by mrneurosis
    Kudos to you because i can not enjoy daily in any MMO. I am really really sick of this end game mechanic and i wish it would go away and make way for something new and fresh.

It's not really an endgame mechanic on GW2 since people have access to it from the beginning.

I understand your problem though - on swtor my endgame daily was doing Oricon quests - the same quests over and over and over again.

On GW2 it's more something with a lose focus such as: Go to the Ascalon region, chop 4 trees and climb a hill while you are at it.

Harbinger of Fools
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Atually this is one of the few games i like the dailies in, because it sends me to different areas and/or dungeons to do my bidding each day. And all those areas are still a bit challenging, with things happening all around me ( events)...   

I just travel the world based on my dailies and encounter NPCs and events and players everywhere..  And every thing i enter an area different things happen...

i do not like the concept of dailies in mmos but one of the reasons i love GW2 is that on top of doing their own thing, they also made content that would bore me in other mmos feel fresh again (to me anyways)

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Guild Wars 2 dailies are definitely the best. You'll complete a bunch of them just running around and randomly doing whatever you want.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Yeah Gw2's dailies are one of those that doesn't feel like a choir but are seen as something you can do in the meantime. You have 3 categories of dailies. Every type of player benefits. The pvp the wvw and the pve player. Gw2 is one of those games in which daily doesn't feel like beat the clock challenge.

Not to mention that some of us who have alts to level and seek dynamic events to boost their exp curve, just peek at the dailies and can figure out which maps are full of people doing events :) personal character level doesn't meaning anything because the game scales so well. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I find the GW2 PvP dailies to be kind of ridiculous.  Queuing up when the daily is fresh is quite annoying as you usually have a point capture or point defend requirement which is okay,  but the "win as Class A or Class B" requirement is really... really not cool.

More than half the matches are flooded with one class or the other, which makes teams very unbalanced, as nowadays most people usually spec just ONE WAY for a particular class.  (Like DPS LB/GS for a ranger, or Dagger/Pistol for thief or  D/D Celestial Elementalists)    I seriously played a match the other day that had 3 D/P thieves and one P/P Thief (and my S/D Ele) against a team with 2 thieves a guardian a warrior and an engineer.    

I think PvP dailies should be a little more accessible, like win ANY match instead of win match with X or Y class.  Or Play a match on XYZ map.    

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

I find the GW2 PvP dailies to be kind of ridiculous.  Queuing up when the daily is fresh is quite annoying as you usually have a point capture or point defend requirement which is okay,  but the "win as Class A or Class B" requirement is really... really not cool.

More than half the matches are flooded with one class or the other, which makes teams very unbalanced, as nowadays most people usually spec just ONE WAY for a particular class.  (Like DPS LB/GS for a ranger, or Dagger/Pistol for thief or  D/D Celestial Elementalists)    I seriously played a match the other day that had 3 D/P thieves and one P/P Thief (and my S/D Ele) against a team with 2 thieves a guardian a warrior and an engineer.    

I think PvP dailies should be a little more accessible, like win ANY match instead of win match with X or Y class.  Or Play a match on XYZ map.    

I run sword/dagger thief. Getting rekt ... not even once. 

I see a lot of Pistol/Dagger thieves running around or double pistol. The meta thief is not used as much from my observation. Rangers are quite buffed nowadays (good change since being useless for some time) and people play them a lot more in sPvP and/or WvW

Elementalists have ruled the sPvP land for quite some time. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think GW2s dailies are the best I seen in any MMO. It just suck a little instead of loads.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Leon1e
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

I run sword/dagger thief. Getting rekt ... not even once. 

I see a lot of Pistol/Dagger thieves running around or double pistol. The meta thief is not used as much from my observation. Rangers are quite buffed nowadays (good change since being useless for some time) and people play them a lot more in sPvP and/or WvW

Elementalists have ruled the sPvP land for quite some time. 

People always complain about rangers being useless for so long, but the truth is,  the build that everyone is running now which is full on DPS, is almost the same exact build I ran a year ago, and I do just as well with it now as I did then.  

And I run a P/P thief too, and it makes sense why people don't run these builds, P/P thieves don't have the same damage output as D/P thieves do.

D/D celestial Eles are starting to taper off a bit...  though I'm digging my P/P celestial engineer very much.  I see a lot of cookie cutter of metabuild classes these days.  Now more than I did a year ago.  The upcoming class changes will hopefully change that.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    i usual never pay attetion , but ho! i complet daily:)
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

So I've recently been trying to get back into GW2...

I've got a level 80 Guardian, all rare and a few exotic level 80 gear.

Only at about 52% total map completion.

I'm kind of unsure what I should be doing to progress my character?

I want to run some dungeons to buy/unlock a specific set of gear for looks - but do you have to have a full group to do dungeons? I'm talking about the Manor or whatever.

I see these "fractals" thing - but really have no idea what it is.

No real interest in sPvP or WvW at this time.

I haven't played in... quite a while. I was not around for the fall of Lion's Arch, the Lost Shore, Dust something - whatever all of that stuff is.

I see I can buy purple rings and stuff with Laurels, so I'm guessing that should be my next step to progression, but I'm a bit lost.

So what do people (PvE) do every day in GW2?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I want to run some dungeons to buy/unlock a specific set of gear for looks - but do you have to have a full group to do dungeons? I'm talking about the Manor or whatever.

I haven't played in... quite a while. I was not around for the fall of Lion's Arch, the Lost Shore, Dust something - whatever all of that stuff is.

I see I can buy purple rings and stuff with Laurels, so I'm guessing that should be my next step to progression, but I'm a bit lost.

If you're serious, feel free to send me a PM with your character name, and I can help you out more ingame.

To answer your general questions:

1) Do you need a full group to do dungeons? Absolutely not. To be perfectly honest, you can actually solo all the dungeons (not fractals) if you're good enough / know what your doing. But most people aren't at that level. As such, dungeons are perfectly doable with a sub-optimal group. It's mostly a question of how experienced your group (overall) is with the dungeon you want done, and how willing the group members are to pay attention / listen when it comes to stuff they're unfamiliar with. You can start with the LFG UI, but it's generally best to find a group / guild of people you can run with that are reliable. When you go with LFG you never know if you're going to be partying with a bunch of new players, or with a more experienced group (though some people actually do advertise 'exp players pref').

2) Fractals are a series of mini dungeons you can access from Lion's Arch. You randomly go through a series of 3 levels (stages), with a 4th 'boss' stage at the end. They scale in difficulty and use a mechanic known as 'Agony' that requires ascended equipment (with agony resistance) to surpress. This mechanic is used by bosses, and while you can dodge it from most of the encounters, if it hits you it shaves off a % of your max HP every second (this damage gets significantly reduced by agony resistance). These are basically the most challenging dungeon content in the game, and the more hardcore PvErs tend to run higher difficulty fractals (lvl 50+).

3) For daily logins (especially after 30 consecutive days) you gain laurels. This is used to by that 'purple stuff' which is basically ascended gear. Ascended gear can also be randomly dropped from fractals of the mists, and crafted. Accessories can be bought from laurels, bought from fractal relics, bought from guild commendations (guild missions), or rewarded from achievements via the Living Story Season 2.

If you're used to gear advancement / that is your primary interest, then this would probably be the next goal for you. They can take some time to acquire / are expensive, but if you have enough gold (and the laurels to buy the ascended recipes you need) you can actually craft them all without too much trouble. Again, assuming you have the gold to expedite the process. Keep in mind there are multiple ways to acquire this gear, so you can always do multiple methods simultaneously to acquire them.

4) What are people doing for PvE right now? The following:

- Silverwastes (there is an event chain here that yields tons of bags, and loot, which translates into tons of money / ectoplasm for your crafting.

- World Bosses. There is a website that tracks the boss spawns, and there are usually some kind of daily tied to these as well. There is also a rare chance you will get a unique skin from each of these bosses.

** Keep in mind that Tequatl the Sunless, and Triple Trouble (Evolved Jungle Wurm) require a FULL map of organized players to complete. You won't be able to kill these on your own. It's probably a good idea to look into a series of guilds known as 'TTS' if you're interested in checking those out. They are basically the closest thing this game has to PvE full raids (i.e. 130+ people coordinating on teamspeak).

- Dungeons. People still grind out these dungeons quite often, and there are also people who solo Arah (the hardest dungeon) and sell the completion / boss kill to less experienced players.

- Map exploration / map completion. Believe it or not the maps are still pretty active for the most part. And there is still stuff to be gained from 100% the world map.

- Achievement hunting.

- Crafting

** Sorry for the wall of text, but there you go.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Running the dungeons with 1 player less is harder but with experienced players with good gear it isn't a big problem (with a few exceptions).  With several players less it takes a lot of skills and you will mostly die a lot. There is a dungeonfinder now, I recommend you use it in this case. :)

Fractals are harder short dungeons, you run 4 in a row. As you progress you need to get some upgrades specifically for it but not for the first bunch.

Silver marches is a good place to get good loot and some ascended gear you don't need laurels for. It will also get you enough crafting mats to craft an ascended armor and weapons.

There is also dry top, I prefer silver marches myself, but those amber skins weapons are pretty nice.

In my case I basically are collecting the last ecto and T6 mats for my Legendary (got the rest) while playing a bit with friends, I also still work on the luminescent armor, do dailys and some PvP. And Getting some more achivement, that 10K chest is close now and there is good stuff to get from those.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Awesome thanks!!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

This is the only MMO I do regular dallies in.  Ranger is buffed and now my favorite character to play again,  I noticed NPC's now run past me and go for my pet.  :-) 

I also play my thief a lot now.  He's a lot better now then before.  I like the guardian but don't play him because of that staff, he needs better range weapons.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey