Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why all the hype?

LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
I haven't seen or heard a whole lot about the game. There are very few screens and media in general. So how do we know that it's worth all the hype? Am I missing something? Are there links to more detailed info and visual media of the game? Just trying to find out why it's constantly #1 on the development list.

Getting too old for this $&17!

Comments

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss
    I haven't seen or heard a whole lot about the game. There are very few screens and media in general. So how do we know that it's worth all the hype? Am I missing something? Are there links to more detailed info and visual media of the game? Just trying to find out why it's constantly #1 on the development list.

It has to do with many things.

1. The previous games it has behind it are legendary. Everquest  and Everquest 2.

2. The direction of the lore is inclusive enough to make people from other EQ's feel at home.

3. Brief combat moves have been shown for several classes now.

4. For a short time Dev's offered a barebones PvP for people to try.

5. There is a steady progress that has been made by devs and players in EQ Landmark which is basically the building blocks used to create many of the things within Next.

6. The ability to destroy chunks of land as tactics in battle or to get into dungeons or to access deeper mining resources.

7. Some fancy new dialogue system for npc interactions.

8. The living progression of each server talked about. Basically player actions can push a certain storypath and world progression or prevent it, which will make each server look and feel different from others.

9. There has been talk that the devs were switching more full time to EQ Next this year which could mean alot more info rolling out soon.

Hope that covers some of it. Basically there are alot of people crossing fingers for this one.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Karble

1. The previous games it has behind it are legendary. Everquest  YES  and Everquest 2. not so much

2. The direction of the lore is inclusive enough to make people from other EQ's feel at home. Did you not get the memo, EQNext is not related to EQ or EQ2 and does not receive wide acceptance of the EQ fanbase..

3. Brief combat moves have been shown for several classes now. And widely NOT enjoyed in Landmark

4. For a short time Dev's offered a barebones PvP for people to try. In Landmark and not well liked

5. There is a steady progress that has been made by devs and players in EQ Landmark which is basically the building blocks used to create many of the things within Next.  And or the most part Landmark is dying on the vine.. The number of players has dropped significantly since open to paid beta..

6. The ability to destroy chunks of land as tactics in battle or to get into dungeons or to access deeper mining resources.

8. The living progression of each server talked about. Basically player actions can push a certain storypath and world progression or prevent it, which will make each server look and feel different from others.

9. There has been talk that the devs were switching more full time to EQ Next this year which could mean alot more info rolling out soon.

Hope that covers some of it. Basically there are alot of people crossing fingers for this one.

I do agree, there is a lot of talk, but nothing in stone.. Landmark is open "paid" beta, but EQN isn't even on a hard drive yet.. It's still pencil and paper somewhere on someones desk.. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

SoE to start is no new company, they have a rich MMO history. They really have been here from the start and are one of the founding fathers of what made MMOs what they are today. So some measure of trust can be given to their word. Some. Next, they are trying to make something more then a copy of what came before them. Will they pull it off? Not even SoE can know for sure.

Storybricks could be the biggest thing to push MMOing to the next generation of gaming. How NPC interact with us and their world could blow our minds. What SoE is shooting for is a game that without patches and updates, is a world that changes by how we players interact with it. Pushing the word dynamic to a new level in MMOing. Also how the NPCs interact with them selves as well. Start out in the newbe area and play the game. 6 months from when you started a new player starts the game and they will not have the same journey, matter of fact no gamer can again because the world has changed. Will they pull it off? We wait to see. This is just one way Storybricks can change how we game.

This is not the end of how they are changing MMOing. There is a few companies that are working with Voxels and EQN is pushing this new tech to its limit. They are shooting for a 100% destructible world. The limits of how this could impact how we game is limitless. Just to start think how this could change siege mechanics in PvP. No longer having set points on an building to attack.

As gamers we all should be cheering them on and hope they pull this off. We spend so much time getting upset for cookie cutter MMOs and EQN is one of the few MMOs where devs are trying to make something new. I hope they pull it off. SoE is one of the few companies that could pull this off. At this point most are waiting to see if they can. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Why not?

There's plenty of details if you really want to know. Youtube, Twitch, SOE Forums, have a lot of videos/info about what they are planning. Plus there is Landmark which is basically a Pre-Alpha for EQN.

If you like the genre, franchise, new tech, or simply looking for a new game to play, EQN should make many happy.

Looking at the top 20 popular up and coming games, EQN is the major fantasy mmorpg on the list. No different then ESO, Wildstar, GW2, Rift, etc that were popular a short while a go on the same list.

Should offer plenty of new stuff for today's gamers, with enough connection to the last 15 years of the genre to entertain at least a handful of customers.

If you are really curious, check out the link below, but more information can be learned by watching the 2013 & 2014 SOE Live panels on EQN, especially the ones focused on Classes. They given out a lot of details along with a lot of big picture stuff that is yet to be seen.

http://everquestnext.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest_Next_Wiki

Originally posted by Rydeson

1. The previous games it has behind it are legendary. Everquest  YES  and Everquest 2. not so much

2. The direction of the lore is inclusive enough to make people from other EQ's feel at home. Did you not get the memo, EQNext is not related to EQ or EQ2 and does not receive wide acceptance of the EQ fanbase..

3. Brief combat moves have been shown for several classes now. And widely NOT enjoyed in Landmark

4. For a short time Dev's offered a barebones PvP for people to try. In Landmark and not well liked

5. There is a steady progress that has been made by devs and players in EQ Landmark which is basically the building blocks used to create many of the things within Next.  And or the most part Landmark is dying on the vine.. The number of players has dropped significantly since open to paid beta..

I do agree, there is a lot of talk, but nothing in stone.. Landmark is open "paid" beta, but EQN isn't even on a hard drive yet.. It's still pencil and paper somewhere on someones desk.. 

Wrong as you are most times. Landmark is its own game in beta but they are testing EQN systems in Landmark. There is many Alpha tests going on now and anyone can join to see them. Combat was just added and Storybricks will be added soon, so players can start messing with it. Go google "Landmark Blueprint" and you will see all the EQN systems slated to be tested in Landmark soon.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Well if they can actually pull off what they are saying, then those programmers are literally the best in the world. They could be billionaire rocket scientists lol. But I guess making eqn would attract the greatest mathematical minds the world

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well unlike the second poster who is somewhat correct,i like to draw a line in the sand.There is no question SOE was doing a  grande job for some time,then it hit a wall and imo there is an absolute answer to the WHY.

SOE was losing money and it hit the news and they looked for a new twist on making money.This is when they started to think the cash shop ideas and started testing them with a few EQ2 servers.Right from that moment on SOE went downhill big time it showed in all their work.They put VERY little follow up support to their games,they leave long standing bugs,don't communicate with community and go figure that Ahmeed guy just left for that VERY reason,they don't want community input anymore.

I stuck by SOE longer than i should of,i bought the last 3 xpacks in EQ2 and everyone seemed to get worse and worse on effort.I finally said enough is enough and quit.Then because i love card games i supported their TCG and again they simply did not care,they NEVER answered anything in support forums,NEVER and the game itself was riddled with bugs after bugs,they just abandoned the game and supporters and shut it down.

So i have lost ALL respect for SOE,they no longer put in the effort.After the terrible lazy xpacks in EQ2 i then watched their other efforts or lack of.I tried PS2 i was like lol ,i could do better by myself let alone with a professional team,i quit that game in a hurry.Then i watched Landmark,an empty effort that they try to make money from off simply licensing Voxel Farm.Now i see ANOTHER lazy effort in H1Z1.OH did i mention they did not give much time and effrot into that kids game they made,shut that down pretty quick as well.

It all tells me they have no intention of ever putting out a Triple A effort anymore but instead are looking for quick cash grabs and gimmicks to make a buck.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Rydeson

6. The ability to destroy chunks of land as tactics in battle or to get into dungeons or to access deeper mining resources.Well this part if just reading this line sounds AMAZING,however i nreality it involves chopping out VOXEL squares/chunks so nthing to get excited over because it is really just a Minecraft idea.However inside those caves i am sure it wil lsteup in quality above Vioxel chunks but then again ,how could it not ?

7. Some fancy new dialogue system for npc interactions. I beleive this would be StroyBricks?Whch is really just an automated system to make it easier for them to design.

8. The living progression of each server talked about. Basically player actions can push a certain storypath and world progression or prevent it, which will make each server look and feel different from others.We have already had that for years in gaming,no two serevers are ever alike,economies can be vastly different.

9. There has been talk that the devs were switching more full time to EQ Next this year which could mean alot more info rolling out soon.I don't doubt this at all however doesn't really mean anything other than we will get a little more info coming out.

Hope that covers some of it. Basically there are alot of people crossing fingers for this one.Before you think i hate SOE and am angry or something,i am far from it,i don't get upset really,i too have my fingers crossed but my gut which has never failed me says to not expect too much.One thing for sure is CASH SHOP and that idea alone ahs me not really wanting to play anything they deliver.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

The way I see Landmark is as EQN's SDK. SOE looked at the tools they have and said, "hmm, this is pretty fun, we can release this, let people play around with it, and we'll offer to use some of their ideas in EQN". I was, at first, a little put off, as traditionally SDK is released free as part of a game to enrich the modding community, but considered what cost they invested to incorporate these indie startups into their system, and that's probably alot of the reason for the expense. Eventually, I imagine Landmark will be free, but really, those who have immersed themselves truly have a leg-up in understanding aspects of the engine, crafting and so forth, which is advanced understanding and "pole position" of EQN when it releases, and generally, anymore at least, that's the kind of thing for which the general public has to pay.

I feel EQN is as much or more deserving of hype as/than past games, as others mentioned above, because of the technology of integrated engines. Aside from the ip, of which I personally am very fond, SOE has set before itself an ambitious task of incorporating Voxel Farm and Storybricks, bringing to the table destructable terrain and story driven, "smarter ai" (I say in quotes, realizing it's smoke and mirrors to an extent, but more effort than others have contributed). The "average casual" should be able to sit down and have a relatively different experience in the game just about every day, with evolving story lines and not only x and y axes, but a z, to explore. That's a pretty big deal.

My question, which no one can yet answer, is if the "top end" will suffer as a result. With all this effort toward the casual, will the spreadsheet guys find themselves bored and put-off? Will raids become an afterthought? Once 1000 "50s" are running around, will they wander about bored, pushing the story rotations, even griefing in causal actions, forcing participants to miss content? What will we see at end game, more storybricks? These, to me, are the real questions, and I have a feeling SOE knows it, and they're not talking. I'd really like some insight on it.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Well if they can actually pull off what they are saying, then those programmers are literally the best in the world. They could be billionaire rocket scientists lol. But I guess making eqn would attract the greatest mathematical minds the world

EQN did not come up with this, they have made an agreement with another game that created it. The game has been in beta for a few years and its called "Storybricks" The public has been playing with it making their own worlds and the community has been playing each others games made with the Storybricks system much like people do in Minecraft. The Storybrick devs have been working hand in hand with EQN devs to add it to EQN.

Its really a simple system where instead of just scripting, you set rules and checks for behavior. There is also some scripting as well but the magic is in what is not scripted and plays out in the game world. Go watch some Storybrick vids on youtube, its boring as all heck unless you really enjoy game development. In short, they have made a amazing tech. The programers really out did themselves but has been tested for years before EQN got their hands on it. 

Originally posted by Adjuvant1

The way I see Landmark is as EQN's SDK. SOE looked at the tools they have and said, "hmm, this is pretty fun, we can release this, let people play around with it, and we'll offer to use some of their ideas in EQN". I was, at first, a little put off, as traditionally SDK is released free as part of a game to enrich the modding community, but considered what cost they invested to incorporate these indie startups into their system, and that's probably alot of the reason for the expense. Eventually, I imagine Landmark will be free, but really, those who have immersed themselves truly have a leg-up in understanding aspects of the engine, crafting and so forth, which is advanced understanding and "pole position" of EQN when it releases, and generally, anymore at least, that's the kind of thing for which the general public has to pay.

I feel EQN is as much or more deserving of hype as/than past games, as others mentioned above, because of the technology of integrated engines. Aside from the ip, of which I personally am very fond, SOE has set before itself an ambitious task of incorporating Voxel Farm and Storybricks, bringing to the table destructable terrain and story driven, "smarter ai" (I say in quotes, realizing it's smoke and mirrors to an extent, but more effort than others have contributed). The "average casual" should be able to sit down and have a relatively different experience in the game just about every day, with evolving story lines and not only x and y axes, but a z, to explore. That's a pretty big deal.

My question, which no one can yet answer, is if the "top end" will suffer as a result. With all this effort toward the casual, will the spreadsheet guys find themselves bored and put-off? Will raids become an afterthought? Once 1000 "50s" are running around, will they wander about bored, pushing the story rotations, even griefing in causal actions, forcing participants to miss content? What will we see at end game, more storybricks? These, to me, are the real questions, and I have a feeling SOE knows it, and they're not talking. I'd really like some insight on it.

At this point we dont know if they will have typical end game with raids. With some of the hint being PvP will be very big in this game. Hinted by the devs is Voxels could change how we PvP with seige being any part of a building. Also as player pick NPCs side in area (on a PvP map, all PvP will be consensual) and start shaping an area, other players could pick the other faction and player wars could start and NPC could take part as storybicks tracks how you have sided with factions, gods and races. 

Also there is no real level system. Gear and items will be broken down into tiers 1-4 but even if you are end game tier 4 geared, tier 1 area will not be a push over like killing grey mobs in WoW. World events in the tier one area will be viable content for tier 4 players. As triggers happen that spawn group events the world will know and players from all maps can come join. At this point, thats all the end game content thats been hinted at but I am sure SoE will have things planed and in testing I am sure players will find what fun and point it out to the SoE devs, only to be blown up to mass player size fun. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Also there is no real level system. Gear and items will be broken down into tiers 1-4 but even if you are end game tier 4 geared, tier 1 area will not be a push over like killing grey mobs in WoW. World events in the tier one area will be viable content for tier 4 players. As triggers happen that spawn group events the world will know and players from all maps can come join. At this point, thats all the end game content thats been hinted at but I am sure SoE will have things planed and in testing I am sure players will find what fun and point it out to the SoE devs, only to be blown up to mass player size fun. 

Is this describing Landmark, or EQN? I don't remember seeing this for EQN. It's understandable for Landmark, because it's pretty much intended to be "more builder, less advancement" style of play, at least that's my understanding, while EQN will have some builder aspect but lean more into the classical EQ style advancement and function.

edit: For example, if this is the case in EQN, what stops a player from "dressing up a new toon in tier 4", and just running around as an end-game guy?

Is this describing Landmark, or EQN? I don't remember seeing this for EQN. It's understandable for Landmark, because it's pretty much intended to be "more builder, less advancement" style of play, at least that's my understanding, while EQN will have some builder aspect but lean more into the classical EQ style advancement and function.

edit: For example, if this is the case in EQN, what stops a player from "dressing up a new toon in tier 4", and just running around as an end-game guy?

Yes, this was in the SoE live 2013 and 2014. Landmark will share many system with EQN, including how gear works and combat. Landmark will have its own flavor as its a classes game but the core mechanics are the same. As for what stops you from dressing up in tier 4 gear? I have no clue but I know classes need to be unlocked. There will only be a handful of classes to start. Will they let us dress up a class in tier 4 gear? Its a horizontal progression game. Levels are not the goal, playing is. So maybe thats an option.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Yup. The reason EqNext is so hyped is that if they are actually able to do half of what they say, it will literally be revolutionary and change the mmorpg genre. And as we haven't seen the proof failure yet (neither any proof of delivery), it remains to be seen.

And that is why EqNext is hyped to the max.. The lack of Factual information :)

You might be right in your interpretation of much of that. We'll have to see. I'm just personally with the understanding EQN will have more character development than that. I mean, the horizontal is great, yes, very important, but I have a feeling there will be some amount of vertical, too. For example, I don't think you'll see 2-day old toons dropping to the center of the planet fighting in Shissar temples.

edit: Center of planet is hyperbole. I'm under the presumption, "the deeper you go, the 'higher-level' the content", re-discovering Takish-Hiz and the reasoning for blown-up teleport spires, at least until Velious dragons come in an expac.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

SOE = Company that destroyed SWG.

SOE = Company you can not trust.

SOE = Landmark to get players to help build NEXT.

All I can say is SOE is a company with people you can't trust when it comes to quality of games/gaming.

EQ was a great game made by a lot of the people that have been gone from SOE a long time.

EQ2 was an OK game imho and to make some kind of money had to go F2P.

SWG was great until people who think they know better at SOE got involved.

You guys go on and trust these people, I been done with SOE for a long time and believe me like the hype for AA, Wildstar Next will be the next over hyped  game that will fade away.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

You might be right in your interpretation of much of that. We'll have to see. I'm just personally with the understanding EQN will have more character development than that. I mean, the horizontal is great, yes, very important, but I have a feeling there will be some amount of vertical, too. For example, I don't think you'll see 2-day old toons dropping to the center of the planet fighting in Shissar temples.

Unlocking classes to earn new skills and spells is part of the progression but there are no lvls.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Name recognition.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by Brenics

SOE = Company that destroyed SWG.

SOE = Company you can not trust.

SOE = Landmark to get players to help build NEXT.

All I can say is SOE is a company with people you can't trust when it comes to quality of games/gaming.

EQ was a great game made by a lot of the people that have been gone from SOE a long time.

EQ2 was an OK game imho and to make some kind of money had to go F2P.

SWG was great until people who think they know better at SOE got involved.

You guys go on and trust these people, I been done with SOE for a long time and believe me like the hype for AA, Wildstar Next will be the next over hyped  game that will fade away.

Doesn't this apply to all the mistakes and bad decisions made as well? Are those on the EQN team responsible for the downfall of any previous games (honest question, I don't know every devs history inside and out).

Quickly looking at the leads and what they appear to be known for:

Director - Vanguard & Early EQ, Designer - Vanguard, Producer(s) - Planetside & EQ (tech side), and Art: EQ/EQ2/FR

I stopped playing EQ when POP came out, briefly played SWG and hadn't thought about them until PS2 came out. Maybe my long break made the difference, but SOE is not a person and I can't hold a grudge against a company that has had many great products that have been made and impacted by many different people.

For every bad thing that has happened there is good. Honestly don't know what my life would of been like without EQ and what it did for the genre. Maybe I wouldn't have spent countless hours in-game all these years? Think of all I could of done lol

The longer a company is around, the more mistakes it can make. Also more chances to learn and make better decisions. EQN could be that or it could be a total failure. Time will tell, but what happened 5, 10, 15 years ago really has no impact on EQN itself. If it is a good game, people will play it, if not, they won't. Doesn't get much more complicated then that.

edit: Center of planet is hyperbole. I'm under the presumption, "the deeper you go, the 'higher-level' the content", re-discovering Takish-Hiz and the reasoning for blown-up teleport spires, at least until Velious dragons come in an expac.

They've already said there will be vertical progression. But like the horizontal, we don't really know the extent.

Player can potentially unlock 40+ classes, each with 5 Tiers worth of progression at least. Each Tier is supposed to show the player is mastering the class more. As each class will only have 12 skills, I'm assuming we'll start with 2 and each Tier will unlock a couple more along with any other advancement options. Reaching Tier 5 is supposed to be relatively quick (weeks).

Gear, Achievements, and Multi-Classing (mixing skills from different classes) seems to be where the horizontal progression will come in. Allowing players to experiment and build templates to fit their needs/wants. Giving players a reason to go track down 40+ classes, earn achievements, and find all the shiny loot.

The world will also have at least 5 Tiers which will probably represent "harder" content, be it needing more players, gear, mastery of classes, and or efficient group setups that include all of the above. While still allowing players to go back to lower Tiers for ongoing challenges and content. No real "end game" or funneling players into a small part of the world for all the "best" stuff.

So I also doubt a fresh character will be out soloing dragons and storming the castle all alone. But there should be plenty of content where new and old can fight side by side as well.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang Well if they can actually pull off what they are saying, then those programmers are literally the best in the world. They could be billionaire rocket scientists lol. But I guess making eqn would attract the greatest mathematical minds the world
    EQN did not come up with this, they have made an agreement with another game that created it. The game has been in beta for a few years and its called "Storybricks" The public has been playing with it making their own worlds and the community has been playing each others games made with the Storybricks system much like people do in Minecraft. The Storybrick devs have been working hand in hand with EQN devs to add it to EQN.

Its really a simple system where instead of just scripting, you set rules and checks for behavior. There is also some scripting as well but the magic is in what is not scripted and plays out in the game world. Go watch some Storybrick vids on youtube, its boring as all heck unless you really enjoy game development. In short, they have made a amazing tech. The programers really out did themselves but has been tested for years before EQN got their hands on it. 

I'm talking about thousands of NPCs reacting independently to thousands of player actions simultaneously on a single server.... In real time.
    Yeah. Um. Nobody has done that yet. And if they did, they would be snatched up by the men in black faster than you can blink and thrown in an undisclosed location somewhere to work on advanced military operations.
    But sure go ahead and think they're gonna bust that out on some video game lol

I'm talking about thousands of NPCs reacting independently to thousands of player actions simultaneously on a single server.... In real time.

Yeah. Um. Nobody has done that yet. And if they did, they would be snatched up by the men in black faster than you can blink and thrown in an undisclosed location somewhere to work on advanced military operations.

Unless they are flat out lying, they do appear to have something in the works that doesn't sound too far off from this. I have my doubts on how it will work down to the individual NPC/Mob, but nothing is impossible with the right tech and team. I'm guessing it will be more group-think where 50 Orcs follow the lead of the chief or whatever, not each one trying to become the chief and take over the world. The "needs/wants" of the underlings could to make the Chief happy, while the Chief wants gold and to kill Elves. Not hugely different then chained mobs in past games, but at different levels of "intelligence" the variables get greater/lower. Storybricks the company has said that what they are doing isn't brand new, but they've figured out how to take it to a larger scale and actually work enough to be enjoyable.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Allein

Unless they are flat out lying, they do appear to have something in the works that doesn't sound too far off from this. I have my doubts on how it will work down to the individual NPC/Mob, but nothing is impossible with the right tech and team. I'm guessing it will be more group-think where 50 Orcs follow the lead of the chief or whatever, not each one trying to become the chief and take over the world. The "needs/wants" of the underlings could to make the Chief happy, while the Chief wants gold and to kill Elves. Not hugely different then chained mobs in past games, but at different levels of "intelligence" the variables get greater/lower. Storybricks the company has said that what they are doing isn't brand new, but they've figured out how to take it to a larger scale and actually work enough to be enjoyable.

Allein.. I'm guessing you never followed game programing much.. I'm a newbie to knowing code, but I do know that each action and reaction in the gaming world generates "calls" that must be recorded in the database and processed by the CPU..  The more interaction you have, the more calls you create = more CPU power needed..  Initially it was said that each NPC would be subject to Storybricks both in and out of combat.  Quoting SOE there, means that EQN code will generate never before seen "call" volume.. The question is, can the hardware handle it?  That has yet to be seen or talked about..

Now you are suggesting a mob type of thinking, which may reduce calls, but then goes against EVERYTHING you and SOE bragged about.. If mobs become brainless, then they are no different then any other mob in any other game..  We are not talking about software programming here, we are talking about simple hardware capabilities..  I think this is a good discussion that I would LOVE to hear about from SOE themselves, but then I wonder if that topic is OFF LIMITS currently and why no one has addressed it..

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

SoE to start is no new company, they have a rich MMO history. They really have been here from the start and are one of the founding fathers of what made MMOs what they are today. So some measure of trust can be given to their word. Some.

They had a decent name many years ago, today they are mostly known for their mismanagement of MMOs, especially the management and disrespectful treatment of customers of a certain Star Wars MMO.

People unknown of this event can look it up on Google what happened to SWG and with that certain SOE-Sony hack when they had stored a lot of uncrypted credit card info incl database account info on servers back in 20011-2012 which fell into wrong hands.

Also they are known for burying decent mmo names, so to put a lot of trust in SOE and especially Smedley,who is know for promising gold mountains and not delivering, I won't buy a SOE game after at least a lot of research and after they have delivered.

The only good experience I have with SOE was with SWG before I found out how they treated their customer base and the Everquest 2 management, which I had absolutely no problem with that division customer's treatment.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Aside from some of the other valid points raised here. I would submit that EQN has the hype simply because it is the only AAA MMORPG in production for the next cycle. Everything coming up in line or shortly after EQN are indie or kickstarter funded games (which I may label just A quality, though that maybe seriously generous for the direction some of these games are already going). While this is not a bad thing, it does indicate that we are going to be seeing a pretty big gaming drought when it comes to MMOs for the next few years, unless they drastically change their 'consume content' model of play.