Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imperial City: Free or DLC and when?

rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
I thought I read somewhere about the Imperial City update, among other things, being postponed due to the switch from subs to B2P but I can't seem to find a link.  Anyways, does anyone know if this is true and if they plan on adding the IC as a free update or one of their first DLCs?  Also, will it be in this year?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by rodingo
    I thought I read somewhere about the Imperial City update, among other things, being postponed due to the switch from subs to B2P but I can't seem to find a link.  Anyways, does anyone know if this is true and if they plan on adding the IC as a free update or one of their first DLCs?  Also, will it be in this year?

I suspect what you read was either the December roadmap that Zenimax published or the discussion that followed.

In the update Zenimax announced that they were putting IC on hold to focus on the CS and Justice system which they wanted to have done for the console launch. I speculated back then that what they said implied a console launch of about June but possibly as early as May and as late as September.  And given that they said IC would be after the console launch this implied that IC would probably be no earlier than September.

So nothing to do with the switch away from subs; everything to do with he console launch.

Free? I don't believe so although some do - and there are marketing tactics that can be used. Make it 500 crowns - so essentially included, or maybe 1,000, Or something like what EA did with RotHC. 

Depends though when it will be finished; how big it is and how much they plan to charge for it. If they charge a lot people will expect a lot and vice versa. Its when companies charge a lot for a little (subjective terms) companies get bad press.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

No, no one said postponed. You can expect quarterly updates though. That may slow things down especially if it's not the one after console launch. The Imperial City is part of the Cyrodiil Meta. They can't really make that a pay for DLC.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by bcbully

No, no one said postponed. You can expect quarterly updates though. That may slow things down. The Imperial City is part of the Cyrodiil Meta. They can't really make that a pay for DLC.

Oh come on, you as well as others know that anything can be made a pay for dlc.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

No, no one said postponed. You can expect quarterly updates though. That may slow things down. The Imperial City is part of the Cyrodiil Meta. They can't really make that a pay for DLC.

That would be like making certain keeps DLC lol. Nah not everything. Like I said it's part of the meta. If they changed it so that it is something unrelated to Cyrodiil I'm sure they could but that's a pretty big if.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

That would be like making certain keeps DLC lol. Nah not everything. Like I said it's part of the meta. If they changed it so that it is something unrelated to Cyrodiil I'm sure they could but that's a pretty big if.

I think it'll be tough to do the IC as DLC because it's sitting right there smack in the middle of Cyrodiil and fighting to get access to it will be an integral part of AVA. I mean... how many players would join the fight to capture the needed objectives to open your alliance's access to the IC if you then can't go in because you don't have that DLC? 

I can see access to whole optional zones like the couple they have already announced (I forget the names) being DLC and features like housing as well. But I seriously doubt the IC will be.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Ok cool.  Thanks for all of the replies.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GarbracGarbrac Member UncommonPosts: 32

I was one of the few who had the pleasure of going to ZOS for the guild summit. While I was there I got to see a lot of the Imperial City as well had a chance to name one of the new dyes for completing the new dungeon that is going to be released along with Imperial City, sadly I did not win. 

Imperial City (if they didn't change it) had a lot of work done on it. If it wasn't for Matt Firor during the AUA last week saying that they weren't pushing new content out until the console release has settled down I would have suspected it to be patch 1.7. 

There were a lot of areas in which a few of us thought they needed to change, perhaps they went back to the drawing board on those. As they did take a lot of our feedback that we provided them and implemented it into 1.6. 

As for it being a DLC or a Patch. It would be very "shady" of them to release it as a DLC as they've been pitching that content well before the rumors of F2P/B2P had started. We heard of Imperial City being something like Darkness Falls (in DAoC) back during the early access of the game. So this content has been hyped I would HOPE they'd release it as a patch and not as a DLC.

Orsinium however will be a DLC and that's fine little is known and very little hype has started about that (until the most recent ESO Live).