Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No more major updates after 1.6?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

What does no "major" updates really mean, no housing, no new zones, no new epic quest lines?

I've read several post regarding this but none seems to really answer it, does this mean ESO will put in sleeping mode after update 1.6 with only bug fixing in the future?

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Maurgrim

What does no "major" updates really mean, no housing, no new zones, no new epic quest lines?

I've read several post regarding this but none seems to really answer it, does this mean ESO will put in sleeping mode after update 1.6 with only bug fixing in the future?

Most likely it means they are shifting focus to DLC they can charge for.  A better way to put it might be no more free major updates.

All those things you mentioned I am sure would come but as part of paid DLC assuming the B2P conversion is successful and they can make their cash shop generate what is needed to support the game.  if not I'm sure they can always add Slot Machine boxes or introduce a 2nd currency you can buy and sell with real money.  That worked well for GW2.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by udon

Most likely it means they are shifting focus to DLC they can charge for.  A better way to put it might be no more free major updates.

All those things you mentioned I am sure would come but as part of paid DLC.

All DLC will be free for sub players. 

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Any player with an active sub will be able to access the DLC content. If the sub expires/lapses, access to this content will be lost.

Yes, this is all about making new content sellable DLC.

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    it simply said no major update till after B2P switch so they are focusing on the switch now 
  • rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by Superman0X

Any player with an active sub will be able to access the DLC content. If the sub expires/lapses, access to this content will be lost.

except when you buy the dlc its yours forever sub or not 

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Ok thanks for the information image
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Sure but doesn't stop them from putting out an expansion and charging for that.

It doesn't even stop them in the future from deciding to charge for any DLC content.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Well. A sub will be $180 a year on average. I doubt free players will have to pay that much for content throughout the year as dlc. Personally I'd just pay the sub like i would with SWTOR.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by rafalex007

This is a big one for most of the people i know coming over on the 17th. They are all single player TES fans and when it comes to dlc they all would rather buy it instead of renting it.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    There certainly appears to be a much more functional option to play without sub over Swtor. Swtor is nearly pointless to not sub. I doubt the sub bonuses are a great enough draw for most who even sub now in ESO especially with the greatly reduced content push over the next 6 months or more.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous
    There certainly appears to be a much more functional option to play without sub over Swtor. Swtor is nearly pointless to not sub. I doubt the sub bonuses are a great enough draw for most who even sub now in ESO especially with the greatly reduced content push over the next 6 months or more.

The way its looking,i think they want to get all those TES fans that didn't want to pay a monthly sub. They are used to buying the dlc when it comes out. I bet they would make more money that way.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Most likely there will be quarterly updates. If they are anywhere new as huge as 1.6 we are all in for a real treat this year.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Yep. Difficult to understand how content can be "free" when the sub costs $15 a month.

Someone who has subscribed since day 1 will already have paid getting on for $150 in subs: so pushing $30 a patch.  And the kicker: stop subscribing and lose access; buy the DLC and you have it forever.

As far as the patch itself goes there are those on the official forums who don't see it as adding content - just making the game more ES like. Opinions will vary. The PEGI change is very interesting though; Zenimax moving to protect themselves imo.

The message however is no different from what they said at the start of December. Focus shifted to CS and Justice for the console launch; Imperial City on hold. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Yep. Difficult to understand how content can be "free" when the sub costs $15 a month.

Someone who has subscribed since day 1 will already have paid getting on for $150 in subs: so pushing $30 a patch.  And the kicker: stop subscribing and lose access; buy the DLC and you have it forever.

As far as the patch itself goes there are those on the official forums who don't see it as adding content - just making the game more ES like. Opinions will vary. The PEGI change is very interesting though; Zenimax moving to protect themselves imo.

The message however is no different from what they said at the start of December. Focus shifted to CS and Justice for the console launch; Imperial City on hold. 

Is it really this difficult to understand? currently the content is not free, you pay £10 to play on the server, have your state stored on the server, and have a development team maintaining the game and creating content.  If you dont like it you dont play - consumers choice.  That doesn't change with the changes to the payment model, you still have access to the content, but now if you stop paying you will CONTINUE  to have access to all but special gated content that you previously had access to when you paid a sub.  

Some people are so busy sniffing their half empty glass of wine that they have forgotten what wine is.

to put it in simplistic terms,  sub payers will continue to have access to everything they had before, and will gain access to most content if they take a break from paying a sub. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I agree about the shift to make ESO more of a true Tes game. I think this will be a good thing for them. And everyone who's playing and new player's will so have a thief character on their account to check it out. Hopefully a thieves guild will be on the way.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

kinda assume its like TSW, you get so much credits each month, and you just use those credits to unlock the DLC

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Well, perhaps someone at MMORPG.com can do us a favor and clarify exactly what happens when a subscriber stops their subscription. From what I've read, you still have access to everything you had when you subscribed, including all the current content. So that means, if you subscribed past the launch of a DLC update and then unsubscribe, you will still have access to that DLC update as if you had paid for it.

Subscribers do not pay for anything other than the subscription and additional "crowns" for the cash shop on top of the 1500 they get each month with their subscription. This subscription model is closer to LOTRO than GW2, so perhaps we should stop comparing it to GW2.

I am pretty sure if you cancel your sub you will lose access to any DLC that you havent purchased. The sub is there to be a cheaper way to get ALL of the released DLC. 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Well, perhaps someone at MMORPG.com can do us a favor and clarify exactly what happens when a subscriber stops their subscription. From what I've read, you still have access to everything you had when you subscribed, including all the current content. So that means, if you subscribed past the launch of a DLC update and then unsubscribe, you will still have access to that DLC update as if you had paid for it.

Subscribers do not pay for anything other than the subscription and additional "crowns" for the cash shop on top of the 1500 they get each month with their subscription. This subscription model is closer to LOTRO than GW2, so perhaps we should stop comparing it to GW2.

From what Zenimax have said: stop subscribing lose access.

Otherwise in 18 months someone buys game, subs for 1 month and would get all content. Not a great advertisement to buy the DLC or to subscribe.

As you say though it isn't really a GW2 model - as many said some days ago.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

So that means, if you subscribed past the launch of a DLC update and then unsubscribe, you will still have access to that DLC update as if you had paid for it.

I think you slightly misunderstood. If you stop subbing you lose access to any of the future DLC. Let's say Blackmarsh for instance. You were subbed and completed all of Blackmarsh and got a nice set of armour and a cool new staff. Once you stop subbing you lose access to Blackmarsh, but any items and achievements you have gained you keep. 

From what Zenimax have said: stop subscribing lose access.

Otherwise in 18 months someone buys game, subs for 1 month and would get all content. Not a great advertisement to buy the DLC or to subscribe.

As you say though it isn't really a GW2 model - as many said some days ago.

Future access... Not to what you already had...

edit- I was wrong. You are correct, from what I read on the forums. No official response in the thread but the guy seemed pretty educated and no mod stopped him. It's pretty safe to assume you are correct. 

That being said, with each sub you get 1500 crowns which you could spend on DLC if you like. We'll see how many crowns DLC cost, but it seems liek it would make sense to make the make around 1500. 

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I took it as " No more major updates until everything is settled ".. Meaning once they make sure the console release is in good shape and release a few DLCs then monitor their income to decide how often to do major patches. I mean only a major patch or expansion is going to work when they expand the provinces more. We still only have a fraction of the planned game world.

I think they want more people to subscribe. It is more predictable income and those that choose to buy  DLC instead of subbing supplement it.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Yeh that's what I was thinking last week when they announced how their cash shop and sub option worked.  It sounds nearly identical to LoTRO's set up.  The only difference being that you have to buy the box for ESO.  I'm curious to see if they will have ways to give complimentary crowns by like completing achievements, etc..  Like 10 here or 15 there then use that as a way to get you to look into their cash shop.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Cheapskates will find it costs less to just sub when DLCs come out, that way you get you 1500 crowns (for each 30 days you sub for) and you get access to all the DLC for that 15 bucks. S if you leave now and come back in a year and they have released 5 DLCs and you sub its exactly like you are subbing to the game right now, you get everything in the game, when you stop subbing you lose access, but keep items or titles or whatever you gain from those areas.

B2P is better because right now you get nothing if you dont sub, going forward you get everything up to 1.6 for the box price. You will also get mechanical and system changes (how many of those they do is a question but I suspect they do at least a couple a year.

"Major" updates will be DLCS that is pretty obvious.

Originally posted by rodingo

Yeh that's what I was thinking last week when they announced how their cash and sub option worked.  It sounds nearly identical to LoTRO's set up.  The only difference being that you have to buy the box for ESO.  I'm curious to see if they will have ways to give complimentary crowns by like completing achievements, etc..  Like 10 here or 15 there then use that as a way to get you to look into their cash shop.

Can you convert Turbine point to gold? Remember in ESO there is no cash to gold conversion of any kind.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I always take my sweet time to clear content in games so im sure one DLC will take me a few subs to finish it (depending on the size). I usually dont keep concurrent subscriptions so i will be better off purchasing DLCs instead of renting them just to be cut off half way when i cancel the sub until i renew it. Im sure i'll resub on and off for the extra perks but i'll make sure i get a month of sub when no DLC is around to be rented, unless i have enough microtransactions from previous subs to purchase it permanently.

Im actually wondering what the DLC prices will be. Since they are talking about selling DLC and not expansions at the moment im assuming we are talking about $10-$15 dollar DLC. Anything higher than $15 is in expansion territory IMO. (the $20 dlc for skyrim have enough content to be a sort of mini expansion, not just mere small dlc, in case they are aiming to do the same here they would have to put enough content).