Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do MMO almost always involve killing men and rarely women.

Comments

• iozayiozay Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Its actually due to sexist movements(For example, GTA V is banned in australia due to sexist movements that believe that woman should get a different threatment than men). I do believe that this is an unhealthy practice as I firmly believe in gender equality. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985

I feel bad about killing babes online, so happy when I don't have too.

But the political correctness that motivates this is absurd. Castlevania was accused of inciting rape because Dracula attacks a women. What would they have made of Bram Stoker I wonder?

There is a policy in the media seen clearly in TV that women should not be seen having any violence committed to them. The can be murder victims, but you wont see the murder. They can be victims of domestic abuse but you won't see the abuse. In fact that abuse can drive you to killing your husband even though the viewer has only seen the man shouting at the wife and putting his dinner over her head. (thinking East Enders here)

This leads the idea that it is alright for women to commit violence on men for hardly any reason at all. I know that's not what they what to promote, but that's the idea they are promoting.

But online I always regret killing a women, that's just me I guess.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    TBH the only MMO I've played recently where the enemies are all male was Age of Conan, which makes sense considering the source material (in the original novels they were female enemies, but they were usually leaders, not random goons). Most other MMOs I've played that I can remember right now had a strong female presence when it made sense (usually when it was humans, or in the case of GW2, also centaurs and ogres).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• nebb1234nebb1234 Member Posts: 242

"

Women gods don't exist

ummmmmmmmmmmmm books plz...........books.,...............

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Orious
    There are women NPCs everywhere in ESO...

There is female NPC all over the place in WoW

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

Diablo's Prime Evil was goofy as a girl IMO.  It just wasn't very scary to me.

Most of the models for women in game are usually far better looking then male models and have better animations.  The women generally don't look much like fighters though.  They look more like models.  Mens models look terrible in most games.  In Anime they look like little kids and in Western MMOs they look like ugly oafish brutes. 

Women tend to be more motivated then most men where I live today.  They are taking up a lot of the jobs and empowering themselves.

In my experience women are more extroverts and usually try to form a family environment around them.  This has happened around me a lot.  Where I work men used to be in charge, but a lot of women have taken over the positions.  In the past when the men were in charge there were a lot of introverts and bad communication.  Now everyone is an extrovert, there are a lot of meetings, and people try to take care of each other more.

Women seem to be very motivated these days to exploit the one thing they have over men and that is knowledge.  Most women I know these days have amassed a large amount of knowledge.  They use it as a weapon to protect themselves and to show men how little they actually know about what is healthy for them.  Sadly they are correct in most cases.  Most of the dumb things men do are in fact bad for them.  You see this a lot in TV shows and movies these days.  The women is always showing the man how stupid they are.  Personally having grown up in a generation where doing stupid things was praised I think we knew what we were doing was stupid and harmful to ourselves to an extent, but we were having a fair amount of fun doing it.

At any rate there does seem to be a lot of women in games today.  I was killing both men and women yesterday when playing World of Warcraft.  Even in Everquest there were women enemies and that is an old game.

I should note that despite the differences between men and women we are really the same in the end.  All that needs to happen is a minor change in the embryo.  In fact scientists have found that DNA is similar in all four legged creatures at the embryo stage.  Changing one of the many switches in our DNA changes things like weather we have thumbs or fingers, Gills or Ears.  We have been traced back to having the same bone structure as a certain fish family.  Think about that the next time you are eating a four legged creature.  We are all related to the same family.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Here's an even better one:

"Why do MMOs always revolve around killing?"

In the old days you could also steal and houses. :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Don't know what you're talking about. Every mmo I've played the npc are s pretty even mix.

Yeah, the OP should really qualify that with the list of game they think females are under-represented. Off the top of my head these games have a very strong female presence:

Star Wars The Old Republic - Women npcs good and bad. The same with mobs.

Lord of the Rings Online - Again strong female presence in both NPCs (good and bad) and mobs are equally represented except for orcs and humanoids that don't have a strong lore presence. The bandit and human bad mobs that you can fight definitely have a very equal representation.

Elder Scrolls Online - The leader of the Aldmeri Dominion is a woman. There are women NPCs and mob again well represented.

Marvel Heroes, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, Guild Wars 2, and Guild Wars. That isn't an exhaustive list. My point is I think the OP is wrong.

There have been many unsuccessful attempts to imply a gender bias in MMO's and even in single player games, they've all been thoroughly disproved, even trying to 'genderise' MMO gamers themselves has been unsuccessful as there are pretty much just as many female gamers as males, with numbers varying in either direction depending on the type of game. Ultimately there is no gender bias, and anyone trying to prove otherwise, usually has issues of some kind, or more likely, an agenda.image

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

In MMO, you are almost always killing men I noticed.

Even though the characters choices are split evenly between men and women, the killing of NPC is prediminantly male.

I find that annoying, I don't like to kill real NPC to begin with, monsters I have no issue with, but why do they make them almost all male.

It supports the stereotype that men are disposable.

ESO is packed with female enemies

GW2 is has a fairly even mix of female, male, and nondescript enemies (i.e. monsters)

Wildstar had a decent amount of female (or femalesque) enemies

Rift has both, though most enemies are actually just monsters.

Neverwinter has pleanty of both male & female enemies.

In truth most MMOs have a mix of enemies. Because fighting too many of the same enemies gets dull really quick, and even just mixing up the genders can help prevent that.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

also not a very good one, as it implies that they do, which is not 'always' the case.

'A tale in the desert' for instance is a clear disproval of that statement, and then there is the anthropomorphism thing, do you also imply that games that include the killing of animals for whatever reason, fall into the same category as those that, like FPS's feature, a 'usually' entirely human selection of opponents? And does it even count as killing, if 30 seconds later you are possibly fighting the exact same opponent yet again, rather than killing, your defeating the 'opponents'.

Can something be classed as having been killed, if no actual 'real' death even takes place? isn't it more a case of, in XX game, quests can involve defeating 'xx' creatures/targets etc. to obtain 'xx' items or achieve objectives.image

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

That is simple. Because gamers like violence and combat. That is why most games are revolving around combat.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I know several ex husbands read the title of this thread thinking, man I have a great idea for a video game......
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Because killing men is more fun.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Why do armies usually have more men than women IRL?

Are you suggesting MMOs should be censored?

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

In MMO, you are almost always killing men I noticed.

Even though the characters choices are split evenly between men and women, the killing of NPC is prediminantly male.

I find that annoying, I don't like to kill real NPC to begin with, monsters I have no issue with, but why do they make them almost all male.

It supports the stereotype that men are disposable.

It is not a stereotype. 

Men are more disposable than women.  Some men may not like the sound of it, but its the fact.  There are many reasons why this is fact.  To name one, and for the sake of brevity, you can grow a population and secure survival of a species much more quickly and effectively with one bull and ten cows than you can with one cow and ten bulls.  Most animal farms function and thrive under the one stud many females theory.  There is also the natural instinct in males to fiercely protect the female gender.  It is a primary function of our existence.  Only a female hater would object.  Don't take it personal, it is just a survival of the species dynamic.  Its not rocket science.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    ESO have plenty of women to butcher  in GW2 first living story the main boss Scarlett where a women so what games have you played?
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Most animal farms function and thrive under the one stud many females theory. 

Humans aren't farm animals. There is no reason to believe why men would be less useful than women, or "disposable". Both sexes have built up this world, to think otherwise is delusional.

you can grow a population and secure survival of a species much more quickly and effectively with one bull and ten cows than you can with one cow and ten bulls

Humans aren't cows. And last I checked, populating the planet hasn't been an issue, in fact we seem to be a bit too good at it considering the amount of overpopulation.

Overpopulation is not "securing" our survival, it's actually threatening our species.

If you had, what you suggested, an uneven split in men and women, it would threaten the species, mother nature knows why genders are split evenly, and it has nothing to do with cows.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Oh Boy I see a lawsuit coming in the near future demanding more women be killed in MMOs games, good freaking grief.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I'm a big fan of Street Gears. Shame it got shut down.

There should be more MMO and games, frankly, that are about other things than killing.

If PS4 had a Jet Set Radio, I would buy it immediately.

Instead they promote incredibly violent games like Bloodborne. While I don't mind if ppl want to play those game, a more balanced selection of games would be welcome. Not all games should be about weapons, killing and destruction.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

To be honest i have never really paid that close attention to gender i am killing because usually it is creatures like Dragons and Rats and Bears and Wolves ect ect.

But thinking back in FFXI we were killing male Goblins almost all the time and Male Yagudo i believe the names used on creatures albeit right out of Mythology and religion were still dominantly male.

I guess we tend to never portray Women as EVIL ...only when married to them :P  j/k.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Wouldn't the news say that there is a war on women in games then?
  • Painbringer7Painbringer7 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

It is not a stereotype. 

Men are more disposable than women.  Some men may not like the sound of it, but its the fact.  There are many reasons why this is fact.  To name one, and for the sake of brevity, you can grow a population and secure survival of a species much more quickly and effectively with one bull and ten cows than you can with one cow and ten bulls.  Most animal farms function and thrive under the one stud many females theory.  There is also the natural instinct in males to fiercely protect the female gender.  It is a primary function of our existence.  Only a female hater would object.  Don't take it personal, it is just a survival of the species dynamic.  Its not rocket science.

Tell this to the Chinese, who have just recently started killing less of their female first borns..... And they are one of the most industrious nations in the world. Although with a policy like that, the male to female ratio is not exactly 50/50 (hence their change of heart). Men are better at manual labor, which is why most parents (if only allowed one child) will want a son. I guess they hope he will take care of them when they are older. Anyway, it takes two to tango; women are as useless without us as we are without them (in regards to the continued existence of the human race that is). As for killing them in games.....whichever gender ends up at the end of my blade, matters very little to me (just another obstacle to be cut down).

The code of the pessimistic loner: "We unpopular loners are realists, who follow the three non- popular principles: Not having any (Hope), Not making any (Gaps in your heart); And not giving into (Sweet talk)".

• Broken.ArrowBroken.Arrow Member UncommonPosts: 84

Because MMOs like every other business, are mainly created to make a profit.

Therefore they need to appease the larger portion of their playerbase with their game designs, for their constant and continued patronage. Now some developers may deviate from the industry norm or throw in a mix of some other elements for the sake of diversity but at the end of the day it is the current consensus in our male dominated world that men are made to brave the dangers of the world and hunt while women stay safe at home and cook.

And not to forget, the dominant (abrahamic) religions of today only consolidate the male chauvinistic stand of society in general while painting women to be the cause of men's problems, the baby producing factories or the veritable damsels in distress in need of rescue.

And its a god damn shame that such a large portion of humans are still nothing but slaves to such archaic and bigoted school of thought.

But ofcourse more factors are in play, as to why it may feel like most NPCs, who are to be killed by the players, are male. Or the crux of the issue: why nearly all MMOs have such a heavy emphasis on the actual deed of killing, but this isnt the time or place for such rants from my end so I will stop now.

---

A proud User of [[Adblock Plus]], to block out all the bullshit paid advertisements (also read as "game reviews") spam on mmorpg.com. 

----

I was banned for pointing out the obvious faults in a game 2 months before it released.
    Now after release, repeating the very same words from back then would be like preaching to the choir on this site.
  • RivolRivol Member UncommonPosts: 79

As others have said there are multiple mmo game I play where there are female mobs to be killed, human or otherwise. Also when I pvp more than half the players are playing female toons in the battleground, some of whom I know to be female irl. This is not relevant to anything because they are just pixels on a screen, so me killing a female in pvp is no different to me than beating her in chess or poker online.

However even tho they are just pixels, I still find it passing strange that it is acceptable to physically harm or kill female characters but actions such as sex between toons will make the game unsuitable for the general public. Sex is implied in games like swtor, but that's about as far as it goes. Why is it acceptable to kill females (or males for that matter)  yet it is totally unacceptable to see them naked and performing less violent activities?

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Broken.Arrow

Because MMOs like every other business, are mainly created to make a profit.

Therefore they need to appease the larger portion of their playerbase with their game designs, for their constant and continued patronage. Now some developers may deviate from the industry norm or throw in a mix of some other elements for the sake of diversity but at the end of the day it is the current consensus in our male dominated world that men are made to brave the dangers of the world and hunt while women stay safe at home and cook.

And not to forget, the dominant (abrahamic) religions of today only consolidate the male chauvinistic stand of society in general while painting women to be the cause of men's problems, the baby producing factories or the veritable damsels in distress in need of rescue.

And its a god damn shame that such a large portion of humans are still nothing but slaves to such archaic and bigoted school of thought.

But ofcourse more factors are in play, as to why it may feel like most NPCs, who are to be killed by the players, are male. Or the crux of the issue: why nearly all MMOs have such a heavy emphasis on the actual deed of killing, but this isnt the time or place for such rants from my end so I will stop now.

Is not an archaic or bigoted form of tought. What you are refferin too my friend is pure and simple biology.

Males since the dawn of men have always done the dangerous stuff like hunting for food and brave the dangers of the world because of biology. Males quite simply are disposable. In terms of survival of the human race (or for any other species) Men are always disposable. Just look at insects like spiders and mantids. Males produce semen for a female and then get eaten 7 times out of 10.

Women are much more valuable and need to be protected in that case.

So The entire concept of having alot of male bad guys out there in mmo's wich we kill is all because of biology and you can look at history as a proof of that.