Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low FPS making it unplayable - Any fix?

Comments

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Siveria

The problem is your videocard, you need a better one, there is really not much else to say, the 660 is weaker noticably than the 560 gtx. However here are some options you can lower in any game to improve performance: Ambient occlusion (this effect is a massive resource eater and I personally don't notice much with it on or off in terms of graphics quality) Turning down shadows (or even turning them off) will help alot, I generally shut shadows off in games even thou I have a 970 4g from MSI, unless its a game where shadows can help me (like say, FEAR series, knowing a enemy is around the corner cuz you see his shadow can save you), but for a game like guild wars 2, shadows really don't do much other than add to realism a bit. At that res you could also shtu anti-alazing off, you won't notice it tooo much at 1080p, Higher res you go the less AA you need usually. Lowering res can also give a huge improvement.

However if you wanna keep your current settings and get a higher fps, only real way to do it is upgrade your cpu or videocard.

What are you talking about? You have no idea and shouldn't  be giving advice. The 660 outperforms even the 560ti. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by elitero
    If you post your Ddiag and a screenshot of your ingame video settings I can try to help, otherwise I think this is just some thread to rant about gw2 performance.

My video settings are the preset ones on high or performance...performance gives me like 10 fps more in charr city...which isn't much considering high quality preset only gives me 18 fps. No point in taking a screenshot of what the default performance/high is, someone can just choose it in the game and see for themselves.

Only thing is like it was mentioned, one of my hardware not being detected properly. I did ask on official forums, but my thread is pretty ignored so I came here and only one reply with someone else having the same issue.

Its honestly just GW2 out of all my other games I have. And even though all of my games have seen a 50-100%+ percent increase in performance after updating drivers (best program ever)...GW2 saw none and even actually lowered in performance. I get more lag after updating drivers in GW2....

I honestly want to figure out why its only GW2. Unless its honestly doesn't see my hardware properly. But I asked on the forums, and no gm/staff or whoever moderates their forums ever respond hardly. And if I send ncsoft/arenanet a proper email, it will just be a bot response back...so I don't want to do that. I'm not interested in talking to a bot.

So that is why I posted here and official forums, so maybe someone knows a config setting to change or something that could fix it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    If you post your Ddiag and a screenshot of your ingame video settings I can try to help, otherwise I think this is just some thread to rant about gw2 performance.

My video settings are the preset ones on high or performance...performance gives me like 10 fps more in charr city...which isn't much considering high quality preset only gives me 18 fps. No point in taking a screenshot of what the default performance/high is, someone can just choose it in the game and see for themselves.

Only thing is like it was mentioned, one of my hardware not being detected properly. I did ask on official forums, but my thread is pretty ignored so I came here and only one reply with someone else having the same issue.

Its honestly just GW2 out of all my other games I have. And even though all of my games have seen a 50-100%+ percent increase in performance after updating drivers (best program ever)...GW2 saw none and even actually lowered in performance. I get more lag after updating drivers in GW2....

I honestly want to figure out why its only GW2. Unless its honestly doesn't see my hardware properly. But I asked on the forums, and no gm/staff or whoever moderates their forums ever respond hardly. And if I send ncsoft/arenanet a proper email, it will just be a bot response back...so I don't want to do that. I'm not interested in talking to a bot.

So that is why I posted here and official forums, so maybe someone knows a config setting to change or something that could fix it.

Still no Dxdiag and no screenshot, so I am guess just a rant?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

There's definitely something wrong with your machine. I am running an i7 with the GTX 580 and I can run it on max settings absolutely zero problems and get Max Frame rates

But you have an i7. If his cpu is crap then that might explain why he's seeing less than 60fps. I am not sure how the game is nowadays but.back it launch it was very cpu reliant as oppcsosed to GPu. So even with a good gpu but crap cpu he might get less than ideal performance.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Forget about ingame settings. Dxdiag is the important thing so we can see your exact specs especially that cpu.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    I have a pretty mid pc rig and i can say GW2 runs better than any other mmo in max settins. Imho considering how great are the game's graphics, it needs very low pc recources.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    GW2 is processor heavy. I saw huge gains when I OC'd my processor. Get a $20 aftermarket CPU fan and OC the shit out of your i5. You should gain at least 10 FPS.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-basic-problems-with-directx

Run GPU-Z:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Run CPU-Z:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

These will all speak volumes about your actual hardware setup.

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230

Run a free application called Core Temp while you play GW2 and see the results of all 4 cores in the "Max." column. Normally not a single value should go near or above 80 Celsius.

You mentioned some example games that benefit mostly from the GPU but MMOs are mostly CPU heavy games. GW2 barely uses the extra resources of a GPU like yours so a 660 is far beyond the recommended specs.

There can be energy saving settings in Windows that prevent your CPU load to go as high as needed too.

I've heard of people who have better FPS results having their max CPU load cap set to like 80% in their Windows energy savings profile (advanced settings in win energy saving) to prevent overheating probles though.

You should be able to run this game at medium-high settings easily at 40-60+ FPS with sufficient case+cpu cooling supposing you have a tidily built and dust free PC. (Set character limit and detail to low/low or even lowest/lowest!) Even the new generation of i3 CPUs can do that despite they have only 2 cores with hyper-threading and you have an i5 that is far better than any i3s.

After making sure you have no CPU overheating issues I'd suggest you to turn all the options manually to the lowest settings and see the ones giving you the most performance hit setting them higher one-by-one.

Here is my Dxdiag

https://mega.co.nz/#!Ow5WWSjR!LYRQJApaKXhBv4r1Pqw30Lj8X0rBt_qhrzue9etxXhc

It says I have 4gb under display though...what does that mean? My card is supposed to only be a 2gb one (that is what I bought anyway). Then there is a 2gb and a 1.9gb under that, which seems more like my actual GPU memory

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Here is my Dxdiag

It says I have 4gb under display though...what does that mean? My card is supposed to only be a 2gb one (that is what I bought anyway). Then there is a 2gb and a 1.9gb under that, which seems more like my actual GPU memory

Display Memory is combining your dedicated memory (GPU supplied) and shared memory (CPU supplied)... DirectX uses both your GPU and CPU, hence the larger number.

Originally posted by Pepeq

Here is my Dxdiag

Display Memory is combining your dedicated memory (GPU supplied) and shared memory (CPU supplied)... DirectX uses both your GPU and CPU, hence the larger number.

ah okay, that makes more sense. Though I was sorta hoping I got a 4gb card for the price of a 2gb card :P

My thread on the official forum was at page 19 rofl...no one even barely replied. Maybe posting the DXdiag will help over there too.

Dunno why EVERY game I have, even really highend ones are running great. Literally only MMO I've played and game that runs so poorly at even lowest settings is GW2.

Heck, I can even play Witcher 3 on my PC and that takes a beast of a PC. Though I only have the dev version (don't ask for it) so it has room to optimize. Though I can not play max on Witcher 3, just some medium, a couple low and a couple high settings.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Sorry if I missed it, but make sure your processor and gpu aren't dirty! I have cleaned many friends heat sinks and it makes all the difference in the world. If your computer sets near a dusty area, this can have a huge effect on your system becoming dirty and overheating. It only takes a few minutes to open it up and check! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Mikolay0Mikolay0 Member Posts: 3

Check if it is not throttling. I used to have troubles with this.

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Since GW2 utilizes CPU for certain stuff and is required, I don't think that processor is enough and you are heavily bottlenecking that GPU.
  • keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

It sounds to me like your CPU is bottlenecking. GW2 is very CPU bound.

That's easy to check just by opening the task manager while playing and checking out the performance tab. If your CPU usage is spiked near max capacity while playing then that's your problem.

All the other games you mentioned tend to be pretty GPU heavy but not CPU heavy as much.

If I were you I'd try dropping your GW2 resolution down to 1440p and seeing how that does improving performance.

Just my $.02

• GahvnoGahvno Member Posts: 15
    After reading about halfway down I skipped to the bottom to throw in my two cents - sorry if this was already Mentioned. GW2 is very VPU intensive and in many cases it won't matter if you are running a mid-high GPU or not, the fps will suffer if you're running a low-end CPU. Until your circumstances change, you're going to need to experiment with the settings until you find what you can live with.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It's your knockoff non-Intel i5.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i have similar PC than you OP, but my video card is HD Radeon 6950 1GB which is worst, and my cpu intel i5 750. I do get those low FPS everywhere that is populated too, not just in Charr city. My only solution is to upgrade my PC because i didnt build a gaming PC to play on low settings. My 5 year old PC is dying anyway so i need to build a new one entirely. Ill just keep playing on and off with low fps until i can get a new one. I refuse to play PC games on low graphic settings, rather not play at all.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Probably cpu, upgraded from a 560 to a 970, saw very little performance improvement in gw2 when my 560 didn't have much of an issue (40-60) but when my 560 dropped to 10-30 (maxed out in big zergs wvw/world bosses) there was a good difference, haven't actually tested actual fps but I no longer need to drop settings in order to  play wvw (world bosses are generally easy enough you can do em on 10~ anyway..).
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I never don't have any FPS problems in it myself, only time I had bad issues was during that Southsun cove event (but that was really bad).

I do have a better GFX card than you but that still shouldn't be a huge issue, yours isn't that bad.

A SSD wouldn't really be much help for the FPS, you do have enough ram and the GPU should handle it. My guess is that your computer needs optimization.

The best thing to do is of course to re-install windows, I recommend that at least every 2 years but I know it is a bother so I give you an alternative. If you do re-install it, see that you have all drivers you will need first (particularly the lan driver) and get the latest you can get.

The second best thing is to use a good cleaner. Preferably one that also check for malware. I myself use YAC, it is free. Also, see that you have the latest GFX drivers and 10% space free on your main harddrive (usually C:).

Check what programs that starts when you log on windows and disable stuff you don't need. A cleaner can do that for you or you can do it yourself in windows.

A clean computer is a fast computer.

Oh, yes. And use Win 7 (or 8 if you prefer that). GW2 is running less good in Vista (at least that is my experience) and in XP. Use a 64 bits OS, not 32.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Gahvno
    After reading about halfway down I skipped to the bottom to throw in my two cents - sorry if this was already Mentioned. GW2 is very VPU intensive and in many cases it won't matter if you are running a mid-high GPU or not, the fps will suffer if you're running a low-end CPU. Until your circumstances change, you're going to need to experiment with the settings until you find what you can live with.

He still gets worse FPS than my 4 year old laptop (and it have a Nvidia 320 GFX card) so I think the FPS still can be improved. Great FPs will not happen but I think it can be improved with 5 FPS or so with some tuning.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252

He clearly states all other games are functioning fine.  There is obviously some application / driver causing issues with GW2 only.  You need to find out what you have in common with the other people complaining on the main forums.  Some normal causes I can be Malwarebytes or other AV / Malware software.  Have you tried excluding the GW folder from On-Access Scans?  I know it is weird, but I have seen applications such as the GeForce Experience, Raptr, and the Razer Game Booster cause issues with certain games.  Especially if you launch the game from those applications.  Have you tried removing all configuration folders for GW2 (not the install) under My Documents / users/AppData and sometimes c:ProgramData?  Sometimes these external applicaiton launchers like to send it configuration files and corrupts gfx settings, etc in the game causing slow downs.

It seems its the amount of NPCs/players. In Charr city it goes down to 18 FPS on highest settings. In Ashford outside, its at 30-31 FPS but anytime a group of players is on the screen it drops to 20-23

My character settings are highest, cause its too lame to see invisible or low-res characters...very very immersion breaking.  Though when I drop the two character settings, even in charr city, my fps goes past 30...but I refuse to play with low-res or invisible characters with lame nameplates with nothing under them. I'd rather not play at all.

None of the other settings do anything with FPS though, just 1-3 at most...but the two character settings rise FPS a lot.

(edit: Even lowering resolution (my native is 1920x1080), only gives me 3-5 FPS at most at 1680x1050...lower than that rises it more, but looks really bad on my monitor).

(editx2: Lowest character settings I get 35-40 FPS...but it looks SO bad seeing horror-like nameplates floating around with nothing under them. And if I rise it to get rid of it, I see really scary low-res muddy textureless characters running around and that is even scarier than when I played stalker rofl)