Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making people pay for stuff that was promised in the base game

Comments

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    I'm the biggest ANet hater in the world but this is just silly.

WoW just charged $60 for an expansion with 10 hours of content that removed more features than it added.

Based on that comparison, GW2 has given well over $500 worth of content for nothing. Asking for me is just crazy.

+1000

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by neura http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047 "We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls."  No mention of when or for free.
    Considering it was stated many times that there would be no expansion, it was heavily implied it would be free. The fact that ArenaNet went totally back on what they said doesn't seem to bother a lot of people since a ton of people begged for an expansion, and ragged on the LS like no tomorrow, but now people will conveniently call it decent content. Funny how that works.

You're the most annoying Gw2 hater on this forum. Just let it go already. You're still trying to bash this game with your own reality which is a lie. They never said that there will be no expansion. They said there is no plan for an expansion for the near future. And they're talking about an expansion for like a year now. Enough already. You're trying to bash every single news about this game on this forum for years. Just pathetic...

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Making up stuff is cool. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by neura

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

"We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls."  No mention of when or for free.

Considering it was stated many times that there would be no expansion, it was heavily implied it would be free. The fact that ArenaNet went totally back on what they said doesn't seem to bother a lot of people since a ton of people begged for an expansion, and ragged on the LS like no tomorrow, but now people will conveniently call it decent content. Funny how that works.

GUILD WARS 2 / 5 MAR 2013

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/05/no-guild-wars-2-expansions-currently-planned

Speaking to IGN, game director Colin Johanson explained that the company was currently focused on improving the live experience of the game and didn't want to be distracted.

"Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future," he explained. "We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got."

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

I wouldn't expect a lot of content from a B2P/F2P model anyways. Not sure I understand why people would be shocked by this.

But then again, there is always and exception to the rule. EVE Online does annual expansions (at least I think they still do).

I never bought this game or have interest in it. But, I have to ask the OP, were is the word "promise" in any of their statements?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Really? Guild Halls was something that was supposed to be released with the original Guild Wars 2 release and they promised they'd give it to us "down the road" (apparently three years later counts as "down the road"). It was heavily implied that it wouldn't be locked away behind a pay wall since the devs kept screaming that there would be no expansion (even though many of us continued to beg for an expansion anyways).

Not an extremely classy move in my opinion.

Where did they EVER SAY GH would be in game? They said they would like them but with the way the original server system was, there was no way it was possible.

Another poster who can't read - maybe and would try = it will be in game at the beginning.

Remember Guild Wars is NAMED FOR THE HISTORY THAT A.Net developed for the GW Universe. Have GvG and GH in GW1 was just happenstance. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Nepheth

Originally posted by neura http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047 "We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls."  No mention of when or for free.

You're the most annoying Gw2 hater on this forum. Just let it go already. You're still trying to bash this game with your own reality which is a lie. They never said that there will be no expansion. They said there is no plan for an expansion for the near future. And they're talking about an expansion for like a year now. Enough already. You're trying to bash every single news about this game on this forum for years. Just pathetic...

Yeah, alright, considering I was the biggest fanboy when the game was first out, excuse me while I roll my eyes out at your need to create random crap. I tend to find when I get called a "hater" people are just mad that someone dares to critique their beloved game. Get over it. Game isn't perfect. No game is. Also, I'm sorry, you were right about the expansion. The lead content designer's words were, "We will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy." Excuse me for assuming that they were never going to do an expansion. No clue where I got that idea.

Smile

Originally posted by bbethel

I do agree with the OP as there has been very little in the way of content in GW2 since launch. Look at GW1 every year there was a new huge expansion you had to buy with new races new classes and new zones. Its been a few rears now since GW2 came out and really very little content in comparison to GW1.

In My Opinion I think that GW2 was launched a year to 2 to early. If we are finally getting new content on a much bigger scale that means that they are no longer working on the base game they not have the resources to expand the world and give us all the content they we all have been waiting for. Bring on the new classes and races please.

GW1 - Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall WERE NOT EXPANSIONS - they were standalone games - Eye of the North was an Expansion.

Please understand that. With the WOW expansions, you have to have the original game to play them, same as the GW2 expansion and Eye of the North for GW1 (you needed Prophecies).

• iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106

Aside from your own biases wether you like the game or not, what you mentioend is wrong in the first place.

There has never been a statement by Anet that Guild Halls were going to be added and there has absolutly not been a mention that they won't do expansions. ''An expansion is not in the works atm but is not off the table'' doesn't mean that they won't create an expansion ever.

Anet improved their ways hugely listening to player-feedback, improving LS1 into a much better LS2 and lastly releasing an expansion with features that players have been asking for. The mentality to discredit people based on your own biases is the least to say childish and will just start drama. Even people who I personally know didn't like GW2, actually credit Anet for the good things they have done. Instead of hating by introducing totally false ''facts''.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    The fact is you don't have to buy the expansion.  That simple.  I am also pretty sure they meant they would never do an expansion until the community bitched, like they do, and BAM we have an expansion.  Imagine that supply and demand.
    Originally posted by botrytis

I do agree with the OP as there has been very little in the way of content in GW2 since launch. Look at GW1 every year there was a new huge expansion you had to buy with new races new classes and new zones. Its been a few rears now since GW2 came out and really very little content in comparison to GW1.

In My Opinion I think that GW2 was launched a year to 2 to early. If we are finally getting new content on a much bigger scale that means that they are no longer working on the base game they not have the resources to expand the world and give us all the content they we all have been waiting for. Bring on the new classes and races please.

GW1 - Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall WERE NOT EXPANSIONS - they were standalone games - Eye of the North was an Expansion.

Please understand that. With the WOW expansions, you have to have the original game to play them, same as the GW2 expansion and Eye of the North for GW1 (you needed Prophecies).

...Um, no. They were not "standalone" games. They were campaigns, and considering the campaigns were linked in one game world with the ability to transfer to a specific campaign if you already owned one or more campaign, they might as well have been called expansions. But semantics, right?

Smile

Originally posted by iGumballStar

Aside from your own biases wether you like the game or not, what you mentioend is wrong in the first place.

There has never been a statement by Anet that Guild Halls were going to be added and there has absolutly not been a mention that they won't do expansions. ''An expansion is not in the works atm but is not off the table'' doesn't mean that they won't create an expansion ever.

Anet improved their ways hugely listening to player-feedback, improving LS1 into a much better LS2 and lastly releasing an expansion with features that players have been asking for. The mentality to discredit people based on your own biases is the least to say childish and will just start drama. Even people who I personally know didn't like GW2, actually credit Anet for the good things they have done. Instead of hating by introducing totally false ''facts''.

Your reading ability astounds. Truly. 

Smile

...Um, no. They were not "standalone" games. They were campaigns, and considering the campaigns were linked in one game world with the ability to transfer to a specific campaign if you already owned one or more campaign, they might as well have been called expansions. But semantics, right?

They were Standalone games - you didn't need Prophecies to play either Nightfall or Factions. Just because they also added into the game together was just an added bonus. I know plenty of people that started with one of those and then eventually got the others but you didn't have to start with Prophecies.

Not semantics at all - that is what you are doing.

• neuraneura Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by neura

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

"We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls."  No mention of when or for free.

Again, it would be great if you could provide any links to actual statements made regarding promises of "no expansions".

Doing your work for you, I've found this:  http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/15/arenanet-no-retail-expansions-for-guild-wars-2/

“While the topic of stand-alone retail expansions has been commented on by Eric Flannum of ArenaNet, the delivery of future content – retail or otherwise – has yet to be 100 percent determined. Once the team has firm information on content beyond the launch of GW2, we will share that information through our PR efforts and through the GW2 forums.”

At this time we don’t plan to continue with the standalone expansion model,” 

That was, of course, back in 2011... before the game was released.

There are also quotes regarding their intent to produce more free content, but no further statements that I can find regarding never charging for an expansion, just that they want to release more free content than you'd normally pay for in a subscription game.

Also... Dammit!  Somehow, I ended up "arguing on the internet" again.  http://xkcd.com/386/

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Really? Guild Halls was something that was supposed to be released with the original Guild Wars 2 release and they promised they'd give it to us "down the road" (apparently three years later counts as "down the road"). It was heavily implied that it wouldn't be locked away behind a pay wall since the devs kept screaming that there would be no expansion (even though many of us continued to beg for an expansion anyways).

Edit: I was wrong about the Guild Halls. You can stop repeating the same crap that 20 others before you already posted. I bet you won't though :)

been following gw2 and playing since launch. they never promised Guild halls they said they will bring them to the game eventually. You sound like someone who just wants a reason to hate on anet for a non valid reason.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• CriticKittenCriticKitten Member UncommonPosts: 47

No, it was not expressly "promised".  But it was rather heavily implied that Guild Halls would be out "eventually" and there was no suggestion about having to pay for them at that time.  So people have naturally taken some offense at the notion that they're now having to pay for something that absolutely should have been in the game when it first released.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Where did they EVER SAY GH would be in game? They said they would like them but with the way the original server system was, there was no way it was possible.

Another poster who can't read - maybe and would try = it will be in game at the beginning.

Remember Guild Wars is NAMED FOR THE HISTORY THAT A.Net developed for the GW Universe. Have GvG and GH in GW1 was just happenstance. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore

"We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls." 

gw2 threads are always so funimage

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

They were Standalone games - you didn't need Prophecies to play either Nightfall or Factions. Just because they also added into the game together was just an added bonus. I know plenty of people that started with one of those and then eventually got the others but you didn't have to start with Prophecies.

A 5 second google search will tell you that they are campaigns.

Smile

Originally posted by jircris

Edit: I was wrong about the Guild Halls. You can stop repeating the same crap that 20 others before you already posted. I bet you won't though :)

been following gw2 and playing since launch. they never promised Guild halls they said they will bring them to the game eventually. You sound like someone who just wants a reason to hate on anet for a non valid reason.

Seriously, you even quoted it. Are you really that inept at reading? 

Smile

Originally posted by bcbully

"We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls." 

Thank you so much. I could have sworn that they said that, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Excuse me while I go edit my original comment again. I was actually correct.  So there you go Guild Wars 2 crusaders.

Smile

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Thank you so much. I could have sworn that they said that, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Excuse me while I go edit my original comment again. I was actually correct.  So there you go Guild Wars 2 crusaders.

Thank neura. On the top of the 3rd page.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

A forum moderator probably asked someone pushing a broom next to him how he should answer the question. This is hardly an official answer. haha. Oh my word you guys have to be kidding.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• neuraneura Member UncommonPosts: 9

A 5 second google search will tell you that they are campaigns.

...and 2 more seconds after the search, you can read their definition of a campain...

"A campaign is a stand-alone component of Guild Wars. Each campaign shares core content, but has its own storylineskillsarmor, and locations." - http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Campaign (emphasis: mine)

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    SO whats all the fuss they have made an expansion and thrown the guild halls in at the same time its not like they just getting you to pay for guild halls .just another spoilt freeloader spitt6ing his dummy out (sigh)
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Edit: Here's the link for those who keep saying I'm a liar: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

Thanks to bcbully for providing the proof.

Look  I am not happy about it either but, I understand.  They thought their living story would be all they needed and they found out that it wasn't enough, so an expansion is the answer (for now).  They had to include them in the expansion as when you really look it over what they have released does not sound like an expansion, but since it is added things to the game it can be called that.

Just remember a few things:

1. At this time it is still without a monthly fee

2. You do not have to get the expansion to keep playing, of course if you don't you will fall behind and you will be locked out of those areas

3. You can still play as you want.....as long it is what they want

Anyway, There are other games out there and I do not miss GW2 since I left and there is a really good chance I will not get the expansion.