Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heart of Thorns - what did you think?

1235»

Comments

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Nice ad hominem. You did not even address what I wrote. I did play the game, thank you. I am quite aware of how it works. Sure, you are right, and in other games you just roll an alt. It only takes a matter of a short time where you have done it all and it is no longer interesting. You can't honestly tell me that you did not visit most areas and do most of the events in less than a period of a few months. After that, you are still just waiting for a new Disney ride. The only benefit to the GW2 system is that they can add content anywhere. I am not saying just adding content at the high end is right either. Why does content have to be level specific or scaled. Do dragons only surround themselves with other high level monsters in specific areas? In SWG there were dangerous mobs and low level mobs scattered throughout each of the planets. Instead of building rides, build a world. What part do you not understand

Only one of the dragons in a max level area.

Tequatl, the most dangerous dragon, is level 65.

The Great Jungle wurms are level 52 and level 55.

There are other big world bosses like the Shadow Behemoth that is level 15.

Some of the most dangerous mobs are Champion Krait witches.

By the way it is called MMORPG, not MOVW.

You missed the entire point of what I was saying. Each of the zones is primarily set up for a certain level range. There is no reason that an MMORPG can't have a virtual world. It is not like they are mutually exclusive.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by ghorgos
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by DMKano

The only way I'll ever play this game again if they remove level downscaling.

I mean if I am max level and can do 2000 dmg per hit - let me do that much damage to a level 1 mob - don't downscale me and make me do like 18 damage.

The whole scaling down thing = no thanks for me.

There is nothing worse to me than making my character WEAKER just because I entered a lower level zone - F that.

Let me kill 300 things with a single swipe - I've earned it

Downscaling was one the things I really enjoyed with the game, it means not content is ever trivialized.  And why do you need to see big numbers?  And why do you want to go to lower levels to kill stuff anyway?  In normal Games say like WoW, you get zero XP and zero Loot from killing lower level mobs so there's no point in doing it, unless you actually need to kill stuff for no reason to stroke your epeen then you're reasons are flawed and silly.

Sure, content is not trivialized, but who wants to repeat events over and over. How often do you really want to go back to an area where you have done the content. I think this is an inherent problem with themeparks. How many times do you ride a ride before it become boring. It is like being locked in at Disney, having ridden all of the rides a few times and having to wait for a new one. 

I think it's more for going back to those areas you missed.  I'm pretty sure you don't play GW2 based on your posts over these past 2+years, but when leveling a character straight through to 80 you will miss about 60-70% of the zones.  The downscaling lets you go into those areas you missed while leveling with out it being trivialized and keeping it fresh instead of just one shotting the mobs becuase that would be boring.

Nice ad hominem. You did not even address what I wrote. I did play the game, thank you. I am quite aware of how it works. Sure, you are right, and in other games you just roll an alt. It only takes a matter of a short time where you have done it all and it is no longer interesting. You can't honestly tell me that you did not visit most areas and do most of the events in less than a period of a few months. After that, you are still just waiting for a new Disney ride. The only benefit to the GW2 system is that they can add content anywhere. I am not saying just adding content at the high end is right either. Why does content have to be level specific or scaled. Do dragons only surround themselves with other high level monsters in specific areas? In SWG there were dangerous mobs and low level mobs scattered throughout each of the planets. Instead of building rides, build a world. What part do you not understand

I understand the concept of building worlds just fine.  It's your 2+ year rant is what I don't understand.

Well i can understand his point. GW2's downscaling isn't a solution for creating leveling content that is dead after you finished it. With the exception of world bosses there is no point to go back to a low level zone once you grinded to 100%(and you can get to that within a month). In my eyes anet failed to breath real life into the zones and went the way of quantity over quality. Talking about a living, changing world with events that reset every 10mins is a joke. Fewer maps, just 20 levels instead of 80 but zone-events with a life of 1-2 wekks would have been something great.

Ok I see the confusion some people are having now.  It's not meant to be a solution for creating leveling content, but as a feature tied to exploration or grouping with lower level friends.  Sure eventually you will see everything, IF you actually play the game instead of spouting hypotheticals in a forum, but at least ANet doesn't charge you a sub while you wait for the next update like some other MMOs do.  Yes, that's an inherent design difference between themepark and sandbox, but that's all it is.  Just a difference.  To say one is better than the other due to features is the same as claiming  sedans are better than coups, front-wheel drive is better than rear-wheel drive, 4WD is better than AWD,ect..  There is a market for all of those.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I mean if I am max level and can do 2000 dmg per hit - let me do that much damage to a level 1 mob - don't downscale me and make me do like 18 damage.

There is nothing worse to me than making my character WEAKER just because I entered a lower level zone - F that.

Downscaling was one the things I really enjoyed with the game, it means not content is ever trivialized.  And why do you need to see big numbers?  And why do you want to go to lower levels to kill stuff anyway?  In normal Games say like WoW, you get zero XP and zero Loot from killing lower level mobs so there's no point in doing it, unless you actually need to kill stuff for no reason to stroke your epeen then you're reasons are flawed and silly.

Sure, content is not trivialized, but who wants to repeat events over and over. How often do you really want to go back to an area where you have done the content. I think this is an inherent problem with themeparks. How many times do you ride a ride before it become boring. It is like being locked in at Disney, having ridden all of the rides a few times and having to wait for a new one. 

I think it's more for going back to those areas you missed.  I'm pretty sure you don't play GW2 based on your posts over these past 2+years, but when leveling a character straight through to 80 you will miss about 60-70% of the zones.  The downscaling lets you go into those areas you missed while leveling with out it being trivialized and keeping it fresh instead of just one shotting the mobs becuase that would be boring.

I understand the concept of building worlds just fine.  It's your 2+ year rant is what I don't understand.

I don't rant. I discuss the mechanics that I like and dislike. I just happen to dislike some of GW2's mechanics. These forums are for discussion right? If you want to only hear what you want to hear then go to the official forums. I discuss lots of other things on these forums too from hardware to other games. Stick to the discussion instead of making petty ad hominem arguments. 

You are mistaking ad hominem with observation.  I have not attacked your character in the slightest.  Just stating that you basically have something negative to say in every GW2 topic that you have posted in over the course of 2+ years.  Am I incorrect?  I would say it's more than just "some" GW2's mechanics you dislike.  However, my point is not whether you have the right to discuss here.  Of course you do.  It's just what drew me to the conclusion that you don't play the game thus allowing me to give you the response that I did.  You were referring to downscaling and so was I.  I simply told why it's a feature.  You don't have to like the reason why it's there and I could care less if you do or don't.  I'm not here to white knight the game and claim it's better than whatever you play.  You just didn't seem to understand why, that's all. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    6.1 patch for Wow brings like 20x more than this expansion for GW2. Not trusting them long time ago, but I'd wait and I'd like to see new expansion.

look !, even wow's 1st expansion was released 3 years after launch !

it only added 2 classes, we are getting at least 9 new "classes"

Not gonna bother comparing the rest go see for yourself: http://www.wowwiki.com/Timeline_(World_of_Warcraft)

People keep comparing that POS game to everything as if it's the last coca cola on the freaking planet !

I hate wow and all it represents !

it is THE game that damaged the genre the most !

and made everyone expect fking trinity BS from all games, for a long time all mmorpg's did after it was released is try to copy that POS formula and kept failing at it.

I thank a.net for thinking outside the box and delivering a truly new experience, I never did stick around in any mmorpg before gw2 because it was always the same old damn thing over and over and over ughhhhh

I've been playing GW2 since before launch and I'm still happily playing it to this date.

despite the negativity from those that would make gw2 into just another trinity POS to add to the pile of failed games

GW2 is one of the few successful mmorpg's out there right now in a sea of dying and extinction  for so many mmorpg's.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

well, initially I wondered about them making an expansion with OWPvP and a subscription and eliminate downscaling so I could show off all my epeen to all the NPC's who would cower before me but then I remembered that GW2 isn't some failing title with no spine, so why would I want it to become one.

So yeah, the expansion is great, and I LOVE the absence of OWPvP, subscription costs, and such. Even at the cost of losing the number of players that depend on those dynamics to have an enjoyable time.

new flight dynamic = great

new areas = expected

new class = great

no new race - slightly disappointed

specialization = great

complete lack of OWPvP gankers in game = priceless

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by kurosenshu
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    6.1 patch for Wow brings like 20x more than this expansion for GW2. Not trusting them long time ago, but I'd wait and I'd like to see new expansion.

look !, even wow's 1st expansion was released 3 years after launch !

it only added 2 classes, we are getting at least 9 new "classes"

Not gonna bother comparing the rest go see for yourself: http://www.wowwiki.com/Timeline_(World_of_Warcraft)

People keep comparing that POS game to everything as if it's the last coca cola on the freaking planet !

I hate wow and all it represents !

it is THE game that damaged the genre the most !

and made everyone expect fking trinity BS from all games, for a long time all mmorpg's did after it was released is try to copy that POS formula and kept failing at it.

I thank a.net for thinking outside the box and delivering a truly new experience, I never did stick around in any mmorpg before gw2 because it was always the same old damn thing over and over and over ughhhhh

I've been playing GW2 since before launch and I'm still happily playing it to this date.

despite the negativity from those that would make gw2 into just another trinity POS to add to the pile of failed games

GW2 is one of the few successful mmorpg's out there right now in a sea of dying and extinction  for so many mmorpg's.

Well Eq2 released 3 expansions by that time, add a few days and its 4 including several new races, new aa's, skills and more zones than gw2 has right now. No new classes but they had 24 since launch.

Don't know about Rift after it went f2p but it had its first expansion earlier than gw2, had 1 new soul per Archetype(4) and expanded every existing soul by 20% , 2 massive continents and housing. In addition they had free content before the expansion that can somewhat rival gw2's living story.

I don't need wow as a comparism....

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Only one of the dragons in a max level area.

Tequatl, the most dangerous dragon, is level 65.

The Great Jungle wurms are level 52 and level 55.

There are other big world bosses like the Shadow Behemoth that is level 15.

Some of the most dangerous mobs are Champion Krait witches.

By the way it is called MMORPG, not MOVW.

You missed the entire point of what I was saying. Each of the zones is primarily set up for a certain level range. There is no reason that an MMORPG can't have a virtual world. It is not like they are mutually exclusive.

Once you are lvl 80 and have all the skills and all the traits it doesn't really matter - you have easier areas and harder areas. In some of the easier areas you have some hard mobs and in the hard areas you have easy mobs.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Some of you are acting as if GW2's downscaling turns the mobs into champions or something.  At level 80, the mobs can still be taken down quite easily.  If anything, they need to be balanced to be more challenging and difficult.

I don't see how downscaling rehashes old content, if the person hasn't even been in those zones yet..  The downscaling concept works good here, since it doesn't trivialize most content that hasn't been done before.  People will get to 80 long before they complete everything in the game, and downscaling addresses this quite well, otherwise everything is trivialized more than it already is.

I find it funny that some of you think you should be able to 1-shot a lower level boss that is considered to be a major lore figure.  Talk about an immersion breaking experience.  Take WoW for example, any level 100 can basically kill the Lich King in a couple minutes.  That's just ridiculous beyond comprehension.  Imagine if that happened in GW2, seeing a level 80 doing the same to the Shadow Behemoth , Claw of Jormag, or Tequatl.

And why are some of you bringing up "sandbox" games when GW2 isn't even a sandbox?  If you're going to compare GW2, at least stay within the "themepark" comparisons.  GW2 will never become a sandbox, so there's no point in bringing that up.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

Those who didn't like GW2 after the first month of its release they will still hate it.

The combat is the same, the story will be similar with the living story. It will remain a casual game.

This which will change is that they will add a specialization (one per class) and one whole class (which will have references to GW2 lore).

The mastery system will be similar to the existing WvW system (they already admitted this) which is not bad, and it will be good to have a unified system all around. The new maps will be a larger scale of the already new map of LivingStory. The WvW new map will be a borderland edition with mechanics from the existing EotM (edge of the mists).

Actually i believe that mechanics we saw last year around and there (EotM, rise of Teq., vertical maps, etc) we will pay for them into a larger scale.

These which are new are the glides, guild halls, strongholds(which we dunno if it will be something Smite or the old GvG, at least it will come with team ranking).

Anyway in the next 2 months we will get more details and at PX East we will see what they mean . For the moment i am skeptical optimistic about these changes and Anet's promises.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I hope they release an announcement for a collector's edition.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Varex12

Downscaling is actually the BEST thing about GW2.  It makes all zones relevant even after you'd technically moved on from them. I applaud this idea.  I'm amazed there are actually MMO gamers that would be against something like this.  

Its a cheap way of making "free content" - I hope no game does again.

Why would I want to go replay something I've done before?

Also I have zero interest in doing another races noob zones.

Its a horrible design *for me* - and its an absolute immersion killer - yay max level - enter lowbie zone - Umm my max level character suddenly sucks? 

bad desig is bad -

but but but but..... all zones are relevant, nope not to me, its still lowbie trash zone, you are not fooling me.

Never Nerf my characters power for sake of reusing low level content

This game is not meant for you as a powergamer to have fun, its intended for casualls to have fun in PvE and PvP....  The only hardcore option is structured competitive PvP... And thats not really part of the MMO but a game on its own...

It makes me wondering why you keep returning to these forums of Gw2 if you hate the game so much, just accept the fact that it was not created for your tastes and move on...   There is a large group of gamers that totally enjoys these mechanics that for me put this game above most other games..   Never ever will this games fate be the same as WoWs where 90% of the players never saw 90% of the content...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Downscaling is actually the BEST thing about GW2.  It makes all zones relevant even after you'd technically moved on from them. I applaud this idea.  I'm amazed there are actually MMO gamers that would be against something like this.  

Its a horrible design *for me* - and its an absolute immersion killer - yay max level - enter lowbie zone - Umm my max level character suddenly sucks? 

bad desig is bad -

but but but but..... all zones are relevant, nope not to me, its still lowbie trash zone, you are not fooling me.

This game is not meant for you as a powergamer to have fun, its intended for casualls to have fun in PvE and PvP....  The only hardcore option is structured competitive PvP... And thats not really part of the MMO but a game on its own...

It makes me wondering why you keep returning to these forums of Gw2 if you hate the game so much, just accept the fact that it was not created for your tastes and move on...   There is a large group of gamers that totally enjoys these mechanics that for me put this game above most other games..   Never ever will this games fate be the same as WoWs where 90% of the players never saw 90% of the content...

What year are you talking about? since introduction of LFR now anyone can see end game content. Norma / heroic and mythic are just repetition of LFR with better rewards. So casuals are not missing anything once they done with LFR.

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401

I was a fan of GW1 due to ANet's honesty really.

GW2 was a big 'what the hell ANet' for me.

Zone wide changes through DE! - Turned out to be false. Although they seem to be mentioning it again with the expansion.

No gear grind! - Ascendence gear? hello? And oh, I was one of the 'lucky' ones who somehow got involved in the Twitter discussion where one of the GW2 devs used the 'F -Word'.

Housing! - Mentioned before the base game was released in 2011 and now it is suppose to be in a paid expansion.

Overall, I feel like ANet decided to cut features out of the base game so they can sell the expansion for GW2.

It just left a really sour taste so I'll probably skip.

I hope ANet of old comes back cause this 'new Anet' really sucks. :(

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

bad desig is bad -

You obviously haven't played WoW in the last few years.........

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

At first, I was excited, as a pvp and wvw only player I was relieved  FINALLY we are getting some updates... but then the reality started to sink in.. " No they wouldn't do something that stupid would they?" I thought... but it seems to be more and more the case..  as I heard them say Treacherous heights and traps, chokepoints to access map.... DO they not realize the reason  wvw players dont use EoTM is because  the map blows? How about we remove the unpredictability of being able to attack any target on the map at any time in many ways from any direction and make it so you kill box one point and fight there and that is all you do... Guilds are  sharing links to new games right now for good reason.

They will essentially run off major wvw guilds and the roamers and havocs with one update and being anti new player due to account binding wvw siege pt settings like you need flame mastery on a warrior not an Ele but it is going to apply to them all the same? Great… sounds wonderful. I really just do not want to see all these guilds leave over this and am hoping Anet really understands what is happening here.

SO I come into game in the morning yesterday when .. people are talking about possibly leaving GW2 in Primary map TS channels… come back later at 7 pm different people different time zone.. people are talking about leaving GW2 and sharing different game links for ideas. That isn’t what is supposed to be happening when a game announces an update.

The update sounds very linear and  EoTM like.. that is why they are already looking for new games. Choke holds to access map sounds like kill box it so no one can pass. Truth is, Defense as it is isn’t difficult, it is easier to defend than to cap. The REASON they do not defend on EoTM is they do not take the map seriously and use it to Ktrain the Level farm. Trying to force people to play a map type they do not care to play does not make them play it, it makes them look for a new game. What players that are shopping for other games now want to hear is in the update?

1) A real GVG system that supports larger battles, like at least 20 vs 20 and 40 vs 40, preferably support for higher numbers with many maps to choose from. Guild wars needs actual guild wars, not some skirmishes. It is sad that you can actually have guild wars in many other games but not in Guild Wars.

2)Rewarding players for defense= GIVE THEM XP, A CHEST AND LOOT FOR DEFENDING. They want the same rewards for capping to make it worth their time. They don’t defend because they get chests and XP for K training, not because it was hard to do, in fact defending is boring because it is so easy to do. It is terribly easy to do and you need far less people to defend a tower or a keep than you need to take it already. Sounds like Anet completely missed the point on this. You can defend a tower/ keep against 10-20 people with just one or two people as it is if you know what you are doing. Making it easier to defend just means making it more boring and less unpredictable. It is better not knowing where your enemy is going to atack or what and can be attacked from all sides not " have to go this direction only because the cliffs create linear tunnels or chokepoints created due to landscape" Why even play when it is predictable? Predictable is boring.

3)Most of what people wanted in wvw updates was to repair broken mechanics, fix exploits and hacks, get rid of zoom hackers once and for all.. They want what needed to be repaired to finally be repaired. Outside of that, adding new seige, things like guild golems, adding new toys for people to play with in wvw and adding better battlefield maps similar to EBG where targets can be attacked from any direction unpredictably in any order raising the level of game play rather than making a predictable choke point kill box that means you know the fight is going to be there, and you know exactly how to defend it.. * yawn* Being able to do the unpredictable and use creative commanding in the game is what the players want, not have their hands held for attacking and defending.

4)Making combat more exciting in wvw means being able to have tools and resources to utilize for creative commanding, using portal bombs to come up behind an enemy for example, adds additional level of excitement and entertainment for a battle that would otherwise be lacking if it did not exist, what many of the veteran wvw players want is more tools like that to use in battle to make the actual battle more entertaining, not adding pve content or making the landscape where people die from falling more often than they do at another players hands. They want more action and less time getting to it and to be able to have tools available to use to make it interesting and fun. This can be new types of siege, weapons, skills that work different than what currently exists.

5) We like more customization and personalization for our characters not less, if they are setting your wvw ability points by account,  and someone puts their points in flame ram mastery on their warrior , why would they want flame ram mastery points on their ele? Ele has no business being on a flame ram that needs someone with HIGH defense and armor to endure it  would be better for the ele  to put all their points into Treb or Cata, since they are distance fighters.  Removing customization  of each character only makes that more of a pain  to newer players to the game, forcing them the to do what is best for one character at the expense of another not allowing them to better enjoy the characters and classes they created. Sure,  once you get all your points on characters, you are good to go, but I thought the point of the update was to bring in new players, and instead you want to make it more difficult for them to place their points due to how it affects each character? YIKES.

From everything we have heard thus far, this update isn’t doing that at all, that is why people are looking at other games now because they feel as though no one listened to what they wanted. Wvw players ALSO need better loot, because they spend a ton on siege and influence to play wvw and do not make enough to support that in wvw alone. Wvw should be self sustaining and should not have to go pve to enjoy it. It doesn't appear that is what they are doing at all.  You should make more $$ playing wvw than you spend on  food, siege and influence to buff keeps to play it, otherwise it is broken.

• WyckedWycked Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I am actually looking forward to this expansion, I mean i was a big gw 1 player. Stayed with it thru all the expansions and even tho i do generally stray from time to time from guild wars 2, i have found myself yet again getting back into it. There is always going to be people that hate it or love it no matter what. I even still have guild wars 1 and play it now and again. I dont think this game is going to die off because of an expansion, and as dumb as this sounds im looking forward to the guild halls! yes i know there are more things coming with it, but im going to give it a chance at least.

*Azure's*

*If it's called common sense, why is it so rare?*

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Very disappointed they did not add more weapons and skills only adding 1 new heal 1 new elite and a couple utilities wont be enough to last me a month let alone 2+ years. 

Oddly enough though it's enough to keep certain people that don't play the game in the forums here for those 2+ years.

I enjoyed GW2 until I realized I was stuck with same few skills forever, about 3 weeks. My first suggestion was to add more slotable weapon abilities. Come on man you gotta be a bit disappointed too. I mean all they're doing is giving each class another weapon, which you will most likely unlock like you did before but slower, then called it a specialization..

I have no problem with the skill setup they have. I am not a skill junkie and have enjoyed mastering the skills with the proper weapon switch for each situation. On the other hand I get completely frustrated that I can't arrange my button combination the way I want and am stuck with someone elses idea of acceptable button configuration for my skills.

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by XAleX360

I am kind of in the same boat. I basically lost hope in Guild Wars 2 a long time ago, but this presentation raised my interest again.

Hopefully those group challenges they talked are REALLY better designed than the basic GW2 dungeons. 

Dungeons were the biggest downfall in this game. I was so stoked for them, and then I realized how horrendously imbalanced and just ludicrously bad they were. 

The PvE is good, other than the lack of a solid endgame progression and dungeons being horrendous. The story mode was all sorts of awesome, and it's a beautiful game. The combat blows though. Hoping that HoT Will fix these things. 

imageimageimageimage