Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Cleaning the Litterbox

2»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    Isn't H1Z1 like the ultimate MMO sandbox?

It's a persistent world with 2000+ players. The entire world is non-instanced and there's no purpose other than basic survival. Full loot on death, etc.

...or are we just going to ignore it because it's not WoW and thus must not be an MMO.

Smedley's definition of a sandbox and the rest of the world do not jive.   He basically used the sandbox label as a marketing gimmick.  You and everyone else are the exact same clone.  Character development is limited.  It just be Smedley's way of putting it over on the MMO players. 

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

My MMO' experience started with DAOC from its inception.  I played that game for years and loved the heck out of it.

In my mind the main difference between the original MMO's and today's offerings (other than technological ones) is the current easy mode gameplay.   It used to take many months to even think you were starting to see the end of the tunnel in your quest for a single character to "win".  And now you can get a character of every class offered in a game up to max level in a matter of a few months.

So to even have a chance of getting that old feeling back, we have to start with getting rid of easy mode gameplay. 

Just my impressions from my gaming experience.

Nanulak

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Here we go again....

H1Z1 isn't an MMO because everyone looks the same. I'll give you credit, at least I hadn't heard that one before.

I'll add it to the list of what's required to be an MMO.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    While it's not as popular as WoW by any stretch, wouldn't Eve Online be considered the current crown-holder for sandbox games? It's had a slow but continuous growth, and it's won MMORPG of the year here several different times.

<3

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    WURM Online, by Notch of Minecraft fame.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.