Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preliminary Patch Notes for 2.5

nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/a5a072656ab605ef70ac3612d91f30e41d038115#item

I'm not much of a PvPer, but the new Frontlines map seems pretty interesting.  Sounds like it's going to be more oriented on players fighting each other vs the resource capturing of the original one.

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Seems a lot of these quests are accompanied by "Players must complete......etc etc"

Now progressive content is needed in these types of games. Matched against that is quest variety, giving players a choice as they progress.

Here it just reads as if the end level (pve) player-base is funneled down an increasingly tighter path. It's obviously ok with lovers of the game.

I just wonder how many more it would attract if it didn't have players seemingly walking this tightrope of progression.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    FFXIV just can't stop releasing new content. I haven't seen another MMO pump out so much content.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Seems a lot of these quests are accompanied by "Players must complete......etc etc"

Now progressive content is needed in these types of games. Matched against that is quest variety, giving players a choice as they progress.

Here it just reads as if the end level (pve) player-base is funneled down an increasingly tighter path. It's obviously ok with lovers of the game.

I just wonder how many more it would attract if it didn't have players seemingly walking this tightrope of progression.

If you're in a supportive Free Company you could literally bang out most of the pre-reqs for these quests within a few nights of reaching level 50.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

For a game like this, the story is very important. It would be like skipping to a later book in a series, without reading the previous one.

I get what you mean, and if the story wasn't a main focus, they could do this. For certain quests, this does apply, but you don't really need previous back story to go with it. Or at least, things don't happen that you would only know about if you had done a quest before it for the context.

That is the con of a story based MMO. The pros outweigh it heavily for me.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

You should wonder how many it would turn off if the game wasn't structured the way it is.

The devs haven't made the game this way for no reason. Pros and cons.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Going to try the pvp on my BM and see what happens since I haven't pvp'd in the game before.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.