Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does SWTOR feel a bit ´dated´?

2»

Comments

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35
    Originally posted by Vrika
    I think it feels dated, but not so much because of graphics. It's more the overall feeling that you'll hit invisible walls, get announcements "not eligible for the conversation", and everything that's even remotely cool takes place in a cutscene. It's like they're using an old and very limited game engine that's able to do bare minimum required of an MMO but nothing extra.

I take it you didn't play the new expansion? Or any of the game?

I didn't play the new expansion so maybe they've improved it a bit, but I'm a player who always wants to explore and see what he finds. SWTOR stands out in being the game where I found a lot of invisible walls to prevent climbing and conversations I wasn't eligible to. It was really limiting compared to most of the MMOs out there.

Regarding climbing I felt the terrain had too many holes and collision detection issues that were more likely to get you stuck than invisible walls, maybe I was looking in different places. The beta search for datacrons was definitely a fun part of the game before there were complete guides in that regard.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Tasslehoff35

Umm no offense but your comment about revenue is pointless and irrelevant.  The only reason I can see bringing that up here is a weak attempt at taking a shot at Swtor.  

Every single  mmo before  SWTOR and every single MMO after Swtor WILL have a decline in revenue in the final quarter of a content cycle (expansion, before new expansion).  SWTOR is no different absolutely pointless to make it sound like this wasn't expected.  But hey spin it anyway you want. 

No not a cheap shot. And revenue is entirely relevant when talking about the future. And why I don't believe EA will invest heavily in the game. Not, note, not invest just not invest heavily. And when I say invest I am talking basically about staff working on the game.

The decline in revenue has nothing to do with "the final quarter of a cycle". It is a comparison with last year and there was no xpac is either quarter. The probable reason - probably nothing more than the fact that the game is older. And it was a significant decline.   

And in any industry management make decisions based on financial projections. And if they see revenue declining they have a tendency to "limit" investment. And tbh I would be honest if they haven't built in a decline to coincide with the release of SW Battlefront. with the upcoming release of Battlefront. Its SW afterall. 

And my second point was all about money as well. For if there is no alternative that might - might - encourage EA to keep SWTOR going "longer". They will - however - want to get rid of the Hero engine - with as many of their developers and programmers and support staff working on the same engine. So many issues become simpler. And if - and I don't know - there is an opportunity to use the brilliant graphics that have / are being produced for Battlefront into "some sort of DA:I style game" then you may not find that an exciting prospect but I do.