Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar population

13»

Comments

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Skuall

i played the trial this last week i found it very fun , way way better than on release , the game has been improved a lot (still had fps isuees ._. AMD here but oh welll...)

why i decided to not sub and play it ? because the population is low , yeah i know there is plenty lvl 50 players to do anything...but i dont want to solo my way to 50 and then start doing "mmorpg" things (pvp , dungeons , group quests) i can now log in to WoW , ESO, eq2 (agonostic dungeons), Rift , FFXIV, Swtor , and find a group for the 1 dungeon , if i wanted to that in WS? no luck

even if i decided to play it , english isnt my first language and after looking for a while there is only 1 guild active that still play (around 25 members count that only 10-15 are online at primetime) so meh....

p.d im speaking of EU server , US is more populated afaik.

I was under the impressing that EU PvE was doing just fine population-wise.  Nowhere near the "1 active guild" status.  It's no secret that Luminai is dead.  But Jabbit had plenty of people.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

This is all you had to say.  You and I have differing opinions about gameplay.  I never said that the best gear should come from content that isnt as difficult.   Apparently, according to your way of thinking the greater the quantity of people the greater the difficulty?  Are you leading us to believe that difficulty can not be derived from a 5 or 3 man dungeon?  Why does it have to be a 20 man raid?  That's right, it doesn't.  And that is at the core of this debate.  The best gear comes from these 20 man raids.  Regarding 20 man raids being available to everyone, you are right they are available to everyone.  The only problem is that even if they could get the players to do them, no one wants to do them anyway.  You can downplay it til hell freezer over but thats a problem whether you want to admit it or not. 

So Wildstar is not for you because the hardest PvE content is 20 man raids.  That's perfectly fine.  Just leave the game alone then.  If large group PvE content was dead, I don't think games would keep developing it.  You wont see me in other game's forums telling people their way of enjoying video games is dead and nobody else wants to do it.  Clearly that is not the case if games like WoW and Rift and Wildstar are doing it.

I have also said at the beginning, while closed betas were going on, that I was certain Wildstar would be a niche game.  I am in that niche, which is why I like it.  I have no problems whatsoever playing a niche game that hits on all the points I want from a game.

I am only saying that it is not JUST for the hardcore raiders.  There is tons of other content to do.  But if you don't want to do large group PvE content to get the best PvE gear, Wildstar will not be for you, and you may go play in whatever game brings you the most enjoyment.  I'll do the same in Wildstar.

We have, in droves. 

... and i'll offer the same advice to you.  If you enjoy the game, go play it, and stop trying to convince us of something that its not.

Where have I done that?

Ok, we can go back and forth till kingdom come and it will get us nowhere.  Instead, because I am the type of person that offers solutions instead of dwelling on the problems, I will offer this and make most of the problems with Wildstar, if not all of them, go away.  Make 5 and 3 man challenging dungeons.  Make the best gear rewardable through a variety of "difficult" activities.  Kill raids.

Voila.  Hello population.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Originally posted by Skuall

i played the trial this last week i found it very fun , way way better than on release , the game has been improved a lot (still had fps isuees ._. AMD here but oh welll...)

why i decided to not sub and play it ? because the population is low , yeah i know there is plenty lvl 50 players to do anything...but i dont want to solo my way to 50 and then start doing "mmorpg" things (pvp , dungeons , group quests) i can now log in to WoW , ESO, eq2 (agonostic dungeons), Rift , FFXIV, Swtor , and find a group for the 1 dungeon , if i wanted to that in WS? no luck

even if i decided to play it , english isnt my first language and after looking for a while there is only 1 guild active that still play (around 25 members count that only 10-15 are online at primetime) so meh....

p.d im speaking of EU server , US is more populated afaik.

I was under the impressing that EU PvE was doing just fine population-wise.  Nowhere near the "1 active guild" status.  It's no secret that Luminai is dead.  But Jabbit had plenty of people.

1 active guild that speaks my 1 language.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Ok, we can go back and forth till kingdom come and it will get us nowhere.  Instead, because I am the type of person that offers solutions instead of dwelling on the problems, I will offer this and make most of the problems with Wildstar, if not all of them, go away.  Make 5 and 3 man challenging dungeons.  Make the best gear rewardable through a variety of "difficult" activities.  Kill raids.

I don't play the game, but that sounds like a surefire way to kill off their current population. All in the hopes of getting a new and bigger one.

Can't say I really see that happening.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I don't play the game, but that sounds like a surefire way to kill off their current population. All in the hopes of getting a new and bigger one.

What population?

Better to get a new one and see it grow than stick to the decreasing one and see it die.  Sometimes you just have to decide to cut your losses.  Its what successful investors do.

That said, I agree with you.  It will probably die before that happens.

What population?

Better to get a new one and see it grow than stick to the decreasing one and see it die.  Sometimes you just have to decide to cut your losses.  Its what successful investors do.

Look, you don't play the game, and you aren't even the demographic they are aiming for.  You want the game to change into something that it isn't, just to suit your personal tastes.

The population is decreasing?  That's news to me.  Since everything we've seen is indicating an upswing in population.  But you wouldn't know anything about that.

Hurt - Wars

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279

What population?

Look, you don't play the game, and you aren't even the demographic they are aiming for.  You want the game to change into something that it isn't, just to suit your personal tastes.

The population is decreasing?  That's news to me.  Since everything we've seen is indicating an upswing in population.  But you wouldn't know anything about that.

Kaladin, to be fair WildStar only has two servers now. I'm pretty sure that fact alone is a death sentence. I like the game and would definitely play it if more people played...I just don't see it happening.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Originally posted by Bitrip

Kaladin, to be fair WildStar only has two servers now. I'm pretty sure that fact alone is a death sentence. I like the game and would definitely play it if more people played...I just don't see it happening.

yeah i will give it a go if more ppl played . looks like carbine / ncsoft dont want to go b2p or f2p ...at least atm , but they rush to add random boxes (2 mounts and 1 costume) to physical boxes , i dont understand whats going on...but they wont get subs doing nothing at all...

• vectrexevovectrexevo Member UncommonPosts: 167
    After this drop that is coming up, IMO, the game will go B2P or F2P by the end of this year. Would be nice....
  • GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

It's pretty simple. If Wildstar wants more of a bigger population then they'd have to make the game more playable for low-end computers like WoW does for them and not a lot of people have high-end computers, lol.. 

Add more servers. Promote the game more. Advertise it everywhere. Do promotions. Giveaways.. Give stuff away. The reason Allods is more successful compared to Wildstar is because they give away stuff to players and they keep coming back. As for Wow, people are just more comfortable because there's so much to do in the game and not have to lag so much like Wildstar does for them so they lose interest. 

The graphics in Wildstar is amazing, yes.. but add more to the optimization for everyone else as well. 

Just sayin'.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by hercules

sadly last i tried it population was very low .

as mentioned before the idea 40 man hardcore raiding people wanted proved to be wrong.

Clearly you haven't been paying attention here.  40 mans were done away with months ago.  Datascape is now a 20 man raid.  Might I ask then, when was the last time you played?  Lots of people are returning.

Ok so replace the 40 man with the 20 man.  The result is still the same.  Hercules is right.  The hardcore raiders were wrong.  Raiders are a small niche group and to design a game for end game raiding was a disaster.  The small hardcore raiders niche crowd cant even supported an indie title much less a AAA title.  Lesson learned I guess.  Costly as it is, sometimes we have to go through these types of experiences to finally get it.  Raiding is dead.

I don't know how many more times it needs to be said.  Raiding is ONE aspect of the game, and the people that want to do it, want a challenge.  The 40 man thing didn't work, but 20 mans are doing fantastic though.  My guild raids, and we are not hardcore.  We go twice a week.  We don't suck, but we aren't in there all week either.  We, like all other guilds that run a similar schedule, are under NO delusions of server firsts.  We don't care about doing it first, we just want to do it, and get the same satisfaction out of killing a new boss as anyone else.

Where did you hear that Wildstar was only about large group raiding?  Or is it just that the best PvE gear comes from it that is your problem?  If you want to run shiphands/adventures/dungeons that's great!  but if you are expecting the best gear in the game from them, you will be disappointed.

The crafting system is pretty good for those who like to craft.  The housing system is top notch.  The story content is great.  The PvP needs work, but that's coming in the next couple weeks with the next content drop.  It should help out a lot.  Raiding is one ride in this themepark, and for those that want to do it, it is amazing.  I spent way more time than I thought I would exploring, I thoroughly enjoyed that path.

If the best gear can only come from raiding, that is end game.  The point of every game is to win and in these types of games getting the best gear means winning.  If raiding wasn't the main focus, we would be able to get the best gear from a variety of sources and not just raiding.  And no 20 mans are not doing fantastic.  Just because your guild and a couple of other main guilds are able to do them does not equal fantastic.  Fantastic is having the concept of raiding available to everyone at all times and that is not the case.  And PvP has never fixed anything.  If anything, it breaks it.  Listen, I understand you enjoy the game.  But let's be real here.  I think the population numbers tell the story much better than you or I ever could.

I don't even know what you're saying.  Having the concept of raiding available to everyone at all times?  How is this NOT the case?  Raiding is endgame for group PvE, yes.  And if you really think that having the best gear come from the content that isn't as difficult, then we will just have to disagree with a core aspect which I personally want in a game.  I believe hard content should yield the best rewards.  And I want the hardest content to require a larger group.  And this is what Wildstar provides.

And I didn't say PvP fixes anything, just that it is another facet of the game that is not raiding.  But it's been known that PvP hasn't been functional for a number of reasons, and those reasons are being addressed in the upcoming content drop.

There are a lot of players who mess around in housing for hundreds of hours.  Their endgame is not the same as mine.

There are a lot of players who only enjoy PvP.  Their endgame is not the same as mine.

There are a lot of players who just want to craft and make money.  Their endgame is not the same as mine.

Raiding is not the only endgame in Wildstar.  That is my point.

+1

It's not teeming with players.  You are right about that.  But there seems to be enough to be heavily involved with whatever facet of the game suits your tastes.  So, if you like the game, however you want to play it, you shouldn't have any problems doing so.  Unless you can only play on non-peak hours.

Until they drop the servers, or stop developing playable content, I'll be playing Wildstar.

Hurt - Wars

It's not teeming with players.  You are right about that.  But there seems to be enough to be heavily involved with whatever facet of the game suits your tastes.  So, if you like the game, however you want to play it, you shouldn't have any problems doing so.  Unless you can only play on non-peak hours.

Until they drop the servers, or stop developing playable content, I'll be playing Wildstar.

Kaladin, you are unknowingly displaying a classic case of fanboyism.  In this thread, no one is attacking your game.  No one is screaming to have the game shut down.  No one is saying the game sucks.  No one is telling you to stop playing your game.  Everyone is simply talking about the sad state of the game and how it can be improved.  You, on the other hand, are getting defensive and defending a game that is going nowhere but down.  You are claiming the game is on the upswing, yet there is no proof of that whatsoever.  There is, however, plenty of proof pointing toward a declining and unhealthy population which is a death knell for an MMORPG. 

Why are you threatened by my suggestions?  All it would do is add content in the form of 5 and 3 man dungeons and allow for the best gear rewards to be achievable in more equally challenging ways.  Heck. you can even keep the raids in tact though they would be rarely used, and when used it would only be by the odd end guild on very few occassions.  But no, you are digging in and would rather the game go down in flames than make a few changes that can do nothing but help the game.  The best solution you can come up with is "pick the right server and play on peak hours."  Look, the proof is in the pudding, my man. I guarantee you if they do not make changes such as the ones ive described, this game will soon go to F2P and eventually fade away.  It is just not a good game model for today's player demographic.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Kaladin, you are unknowingly displaying a classic case of fanboyism.  In this thread, no one is attacking your game.  No one is screaming to have the game shut down.  No one is saying the game sucks.  No one is telling you to stop playing your game.  Everyone is simply talking about the sad state of the game and how it can be improved.  You, on the other hand, are getting defensive and defending a game that is going nowhere but down.  You are claiming the game is on the upswing, yet there is no proof of that whatsoever.  There is, however, plenty of proof pointing toward a declining and unhealthy population which is a death knell for an MMORPG. 

Why are you threatened by my suggestions?  All it would do is add content in the form of 5 and 3 man dungeons and allow for the best gear rewards to be achievable in more equally challenging ways.  Heck. you can even keep the raids in tact though they would be rarely used, and when used it would only be by the odd end guild on very few occassions.  But no, you are digging in and would rather the game go down in flames than make a few changes that can do nothing but help the game.  The best solution you can come up with is "pick the right server and play on peak hours."  Look, the proof is in the pudding, my man. I guarantee you if they do not make changes such as the ones ive described, this game will soon go to F2P and eventually fade away.  It is just not a good game model for today's player demographic.

You can see a healthy new group of players trying out the game. How do I know this? I was one of those stepping playing for about 2 months now. Some of these folks coming in for the first time they find it overwhelming and too much for them. Not understanding their class and some too lazy to read abilities, constantly wanting their hands to be held having to explain each boss fight for them. You even find some who actually pick up the game mechanics.

There is a decent spread of group content Dungeons, Shiphands, Adventures, and Raids. It's not sad the best gear is from Raids only! Not all games or players are created equal. It's not fair right? You actually have to take the time and earn it.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • CrustyKnucklesCrustyKnuckles Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Stoneroses is correct. I logged in last night around 2:30 am (I work the mid shift) and typed a /who 10-15 and there were over 50 players on the list. I was really surprised. Especially that time of night.

If I am called a fanboy because I am preventing the spread of false information by people who don't like the game.  I will wear that hat proudly.  The game is not dead, the servers are not dead, a vast majority of the bugs that people had issues with at the beginning have been resolved, major content patches have more playable content than most games I have played, and the population is currently rebounding.

These are facts, not opinions.  So, sure, call me a fanboy if you want.  But I am just using facts to debunk falsehoods.

If the population problem is just that queues are long, try putting a group together using chat, it's been known to be quicker and yield better results.  Or, join a guild.

Hurt - Wars

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

What population?

It isn't the same as the days of many servers. Of course the game has way less players than release, and the game didn't do as well as expected, but has settled into another niche game. Wildstar like many other titles has adopted a megaserver system so there are two servers per region. "After the transition, all characters that were on PvP realms before will be on either Warhound (NA) or Luminai (EU), and all the characters that were on a PvE server (Roleplaying realms included) will be on Entity (NA) or Jabbit (EU). The North America/Europe region locking will still apply."

That being said you can't compare how many servers there are against another title like WoW and determine it's health. I'm playing Wildstar now and there is more people playing than I thought there would be. I made a plat this morning selling items on the CX and that is a very good sign. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

And already Blizzard has copied 2 ideas from Wildstar:

1. Pay tokens (aka C.R.E.D.D.)
    2. Downscaling of dungeons so they can still be relevant in difficulty, but scales gear drops to your level.

So the game cannot be that bad, if even the top dog MMO is copying from them.

To be fair pay tokens were around pre-WS; and scaling down has been around since - at least - CoH, can't remember whether drops were scaled so maybe that is different. 

Doesn't really matter though however good the game is the population - according to NCSoft's financial results - has plunged. Roughly WS made something like:

• 28k million KRW in Q2 in 2014
    • 16k million KRW in Q3 2014, not that bad, Q2 presumably will have had much higher box sales;
    • 5,491 (I looked this one up) million KRW in Q4, a drop of nearly two-thirds.
    So - based on a simple $15 a sub and using current exchange rates - an average of about 112k subscribers in Q4. Probably started with a higher number and finished with less. Have numbers grown since or declined - we will find out next month if NCSoft keep their current reporting format.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

And already Blizzard has copied 2 ideas from Wildstar:

1. Play tokens (aka C.R.E.D.D.)
    2. Downscaling of dungeons so they can still be relevant in difficulty, but  gear drops scale to your level.  This one is coming to WOW with patch 6.2.

So the game cannot be that bad, if even the top dog MMO is copying from them.

C.R.E.D.D. was based on EVE's PLEX system, and even TERA has done it before with "Time Scrolls" - so Blizzard's not copying it from Wildstar. EVE gets the credit for that one. (Or whatever other MMO that I never played that might have done it first :P)

I've always been surprised not more companies adopted the system tbh, especially in the days of Cash shops were trading RL money for in game items that you can sell for more in game currency has become the standard.

Not sure what you mean by downscaling of dungeons though. (That they match the player's level?)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PanasyncPanasync Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by TheGoblinKing

Most of the replies your going to get in this thread are people that don't even play the game and hate P2P simply because they are to cheap to pay, so I would be wary.

I have nothing against wildstar, Ive been following wildstar 3yrs prior to release and I was expecting this game to do well after reading everywhere how healtjy the population is at the moment, and all the changes they did.

So I subbed, logged on at prime time 6pm EST only to find out we where only 3 players total at the capital city... so im asking in general what going on, where are all those players, and ive been told I had to join a pve server and I also had to be exile, pvp servers are pretty dead, auction house empty too, im a dominion btw. 

Im not expecting to have those restrictions specific  with mega servers, plain and simple. I was once a fan but seriously.. Im not a hater, I just give up... starting all over on the exile side, on a pve server, which for me prevent guilds in the same faction to get their shit together is a big no no to me.

Do you expect me to stay subbed really....?

Originally posted by Panasync

Most of the replies your going to get in this thread are people that don't even play the game and hate P2P simply because they are to cheap to pay, so I would be wary.

I have nothing against wildstar, Ive been following wildstar 3yrs prior to release and I was expecting this game to do well after reading everywhere how healtjy the population is at the moment, and all the changes they did.

So I subbed, logged on at prime time 6pm EST only to find out we where only 3 players total at the capital city... so im asking in general what going on, where are all those players, and ive been told I had to join a pve server and I also had to be exile, pvp servers are pretty dead, auction house empty too, im a dominion btw. 

Im not expecting to have those restrictions specific  with mega servers, plain and simple. I was once a fan but seriously.. Im not a hater, I just give up... starting all over on the exile side, on a pve server, which for me prevent guilds in the same faction to get their shit together is a big no no to me.

If you were told Dominion was dead on the PvE server, you were told incorrectly.  Lower pop than Exile" yes.  Dead? no.  Somebody has to have a higher population.  Doesn't mean there's nobody on the other one.

And yes, PvP servers are ghost towns as the only difference was that open world PvP was allowed, but there was no reason to do it.  It did not reward you with prestige (pvp points) at any reasonable rate.  so people that wanted to PvP ended up just doing BGs and Arenas.  And when the raiding guilds left the PvP server, the AH stability died and everyone moved to a PvE server.

Hurt - Wars

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Panasync

If you like the game, sure. As I stated earlier to someone else the CX is still working and the AH, so the games population is healthy enough to run the economy. At least it is on the NA PvE server. I hit level 50 the other day and there were probably 30 players in the Grimvault area. My son and I started new characters (I'm a warrior and him an engineer) and there are a lot of players in the starter areas, at least enough to do the boss's and the dungeons.

The game is still fun and has huge potential with the changes Carbine has made. I do agree that what they need is to go B2P and that would bring a lot of players back to see the changes. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249
    -The PvP

-The population on PvP Servers

-Warplot hype

-Solo end content

-The Rune system

-The WS Forums run like North Korea

Yeah fanboys don't want to address any of these, but hey SEE FOR YOURSELF.

After you get to end game reach max level and see the broken game and it's population, then you can be in my position call the fanboys out on the BS.

In fact I encourage anyone curious to pick it up, and see everything mentioned about this game is justified. Anyone not heeding to warnings about this game should be rewarded for seeing it for what it truly is... and paying money for it (laughs).

Go right ahead, and buy it.

Originally posted by FleshMask
    -The PvP

-The population on PvP Servers

-Warplot hype

-Solo end content

-The Rune system

-The WS Forums run like North Korea

Yeah fanboys don't want to address any of these, but hey SEE FOR YOURSELF.

After you get to end game reach max level and see the broken game and it's population, then you can be in my position call the fanboys out on the BS.

In fact I encourage anyone curious to pick it up, and see everything mentioned about this game is justified. Anyone not heeding to warnings about this game should be rewarded for seeing it for what it truly is... and paying money for it (laughs).

Go right ahead, and buy it.

The PvP - Nope, not too many "fanboys" saying it's amazing right now

The PvP Server Population - Nope, not too many "fanboys" saying it's amazing right now

Warplot Hype - Ended with launch, and nobody has talked about them since.  No reason to do them.

Solo End Content - More than any other game I know of right now.  Heck, you don't even need a group to get the full story.

Rune System - Completely revamped and not terrible anymore.  Each element has at least one useful stat for each class/spec combo, and slot elements can even be rerolled.

WS Forums run like North Korea - I don't even know what you're talking about here.  One of their community managers is getting ripped on like crazy for being terrible at the game, and that's not locked down.  Many threads criticizing certain features are not locked down.  The only things they are taking action against are blatantly offensive threads, and duplicate threads on the same topic.

Does that address those issues enough for you?

Hurt - Wars