Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8.1

CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
I finally got Windows 8.1 from Windows 7. I really don't see what the problem is. So far I have had a difficult time finding something I could have done better in Windows 7. The whole process has just been easy.

Comments

• b00feyblitzb00feyblitz Member CommonPosts: 7
    No clue what you are talking about.  Most people don't like windows 8 because of the Metro Interface.  Other than that it's a really decent OS.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Start 8 is your friend... try it for 30 days free or buy for $4.99
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• chucky999chucky999 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    You also missed over 2 years of bug fixes and tweaks so what you have is well polished version. Its still a upgraded and yet slightly  stripped down version of 7 with a tablet interface splatted on top. I predict it will fade into obscurity fast once win 9 comes out this fall pushing DX12, even though hardly any game company's got DX10/11 working right or to its potential. That said, I hope you got it cheap.
  • chucky999chucky999 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by chucky999
    You also missed over 2 years of bug fixes and tweaks so what you have is well polished version. Its still a upgraded and yet slightly  stripped down version of 7 with a tablet interface splatted on top. I predict it will fade into obscurity fast once win 9 comes out this fall pushing DX12, even though hardly any game company's got DX10/11 working right or to its potential. That said, I hope you got it cheap.

Windows 10 - win 9 MS is skipping over entirely.

Win10 is the next release

I guess 7 ate 9, M$ still has trouble with numbers. (XBOX ONE)

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Windows 10 - win 9 MS is skipping over entirely.

Win10 is the next release

I guess 7 ate 9, M$ still has trouble with numbers. (XBOX ONE)

True. They have trouble with win 95/98 legacy drivers or something like that.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Microsoft is trying to predict the release date of Half Life 3.

Even with games, I am having a lot easier time doing most things in Windows 8.1. There might be a difference that I usually never used the start menu. I opened nearly everything through the task bar and windows + R key. The multi-monitor support is nice, and I actually like the metro version of web-browsers. It does something I have wanted a long time with a web-browser. Opens to full screen with no interface.

When I installed, it automatically booted into desktop. It also pulled most of my Microsoft settings.

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Even with games, I am having a lot easier time doing most things in Windows 8.1. There might be a difference that I usually never used the start menu. I opened nearly everything through the task bar and windows + R key. The multi-monitor support is nice, and I actually like the metro version of web-browsers. It does something I have wanted a long time with a web-browser. Opens to full screen with no interface.

When I installed, it automatically booted into desktop. It also pulled most of my Microsoft settings.

I am sorry but... did you mean f11? 

PS: f11 is the default key for full window borderless mode of most mainstream browsers since.. a while ago.

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I suggest classic shell, a free third party app (15 million downloads) to add windows 7 desktop features to windows 8.  The fact that windows 8 had a low uptake and vast numbers of people using third party apps to add desktop features, plus the restoration of desktop features in windows 10 suggest that forcing consumers to use metro backfired.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Works a bit better than F11. With Windows 7 there were a couple issues using F11 and multi-monitor at the same time. You also still got some intrusion into the screen with nav bars or their ilk. There is a ... in the lower right corner and that's it. Its very minimal and I can access everything with a right click which is convenient for me. It also predicts what I want to do a little better. So when I right click to bring up the nav bar, I can just type. No clicking on the text form.

The thing is a lot of people have told me not to move on from Windows 7. But definitely should have switched over at 8.1. I have always followed the rule, never get into a new Windows version until the first service pack. Every Windows version I have used needed at least a 6 month breaking in time.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by b00feyblitz No clue what you are talking about.  Most people don't like windows 8 because of the Metro Interface.  Other than that it's a really decent OS.
    So is Windows 7

That's the thing - as far as gaming goes - there is zero reason to go with Win 8 over Win 7

Now upcoming Windows 10 - that's a whole different discussion.

Sorry you are mistaken.

The windows 8 series kernel is much better and has higher performance with gaming and boot time.

What about windows 10?
    at present there isnt any major kernel advanages over 8's the only thing going for it atm is it has a start menu, a menu that was present before in 8 just fullscreen.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Works a bit better than F11. With Windows 7 there were a couple issues using F11 and multi-monitor at the same time. You also still got some intrusion into the screen with nav bars or their ilk. There is a ... in the lower right corner and that's it. Its very minimal and I can access everything with a right click which is convenient for me. It also predicts what I want to do a little better. So when I right click to bring up the nav bar, I can just type. No clicking on the text form.

The thing is a lot of people have told me not to move on from Windows 7. But definitely should have switched over at 8.1. I have always followed the rule, never get into a new Windows version until the first service pack. Every Windows version I have used needed at least a 6 month breaking in time.

Probably should have waited for Win 10, with Win 8's very low take up, development focus is not on that OS any more beyond patching, much the same as Win 7. Depending on how widespread the take up of Win 10 is, Win 8 could end up being one of the shortest lived OS's Microsoft has ever produced.image

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by b00feyblitz No clue what you are talking about.  Most people don't like windows 8 because of the Metro Interface.  Other than that it's a really decent OS.
    So is Windows 7

That's the thing - as far as gaming goes - there is zero reason to go with Win 8 over Win 7

Sorry you are mistaken.

The windows 8 series kernel is much better and has higher performance with gaming and boot time.

What about windows 10?
    at present there isnt any major kernel advanages over 8's the only thing going for it atm is it has a start menu, a menu that was present before in 8 just fullscreen.

The boot times of Win 8 are a bit misleading, as 'powering off' puts it into a form of 'Sleep' mode as exists in Win 7, if you actually remove power from the system, the boot up is not really faster than previous OS's, to get an actual faster boot time, you would need to have an SSD fitted.image

As for Win 10, it will need to be more than just Win 8 with a Start button if they intend to get people to move away from Win 7, and Direct X 12 is not a good reason, nor was the various flavour of Direct X11 that Win 8 had over Win 7 a reason, as it was never supported by developers, who are mostly still using Direct X9.c with support for Win 7's version of Direct X11, if they use the platform at all that is.image

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by b00feyblitz
    No clue what you are talking about.  Most people don't like windows 8 because of the Metro Interface.  Other than that it's a really decent OS.

So is Windows 7

Windows 7 will have support discontinued in 5 years, while Windows 8.1 has about 9 years left.  That's the primary reason I'd go for 8.1 today.

Originally posted by Quizzical

So is Windows 7

Windows 7 will have support discontinued in 5 years, while Windows 8.1 has about 9 years left.  That's the primary reason I'd go for 8.1 today.

Windows 7 has already had support discontinued, all thats left is patching, for the next 5 years, probably in the next year, the same is likely to happen to windows 8.1 - afaik it already has for Windows 8.0,  and still today, the two most popular Microsoft OS's are Windows 7, and in second place, Windows XP, which of course no longer has support of any kind.

Its because Windows 8/8.1 was so deeply unpopular with PC users, that they are rushing out Windows 10, in the hope that they can rectify this. It's easy to draw parallels with the huge Windows Vista/7 debacle, as they are reacting in pretty much the same way, the only question is, can they make Windows 10 as popular as Windows 7 was to Windows Vista, to Windows 8, its a hard sell and they are going to have to really sell this one to, not just the public, but the corporate entities that are still using the older OS's, and continue to do so because, despite all arguments to the contrary, Win 8 does not work all that well in the corporate environment, and its not just the licencing model either.

The only people who seem to laud Win 8, tend to be people in IT, who are far from 'average' users, most others, as Microsoft has found (but sadly don't seem to understand why) don't appear to want  a mobile phone interface on a desktop PC.

In short, buying into Win 8.1 now is a bit late, its an OS that is on the way out, whichever way it falls with Win 10, the best that can be hoped for, and its something that Microsoft should really consider, is that owners of Win 8/8.1 should get either Win 10 for free, or at a significantly reduced rate, much as they did for XP-8 upgrades when Win 8 was first released. But their going to have to make the OS a significantly better one than 8/8.1 if they really want to get people off of Win 7, those on Win XP are probably a lost cause due to system requirements. DirectX 12 is unlikely to have any appreciable effect on making Win 10 that 'OS'.image

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Windows 8.1 is by far the best OS they have made yet. Its benchmarks are just that good. The UI is designed to work with a mouse and touch screen so sometimes the mouse interface can seem a little odd and chunky but thats how it had to be to cover the new touch screen PCs. Once you get used to the UI its much faster then windows 7 interface. There are many ways to get to the same thing. So no matter where you are messing around its easy to get where you want to. 
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

You don't even need to press WinKey + R

Just click the WinKey and start typing. The search & indexing algorithms in Win8 are superb. It finds anything almost instantly. It also does Bing searches. 

Since i have Windows for many years, without reinstalling. I sometimes am not sure if I have a given application. 

Last time this happened to me was with Teamspeak. So i wrote teamspeak in there but it so happened that i didn't have it. The search suggested me Teamspeak's official webpage and even download links. 

People highly underestimate the Modern UI (not metro anymore) 

Not to mention that sliding left and right happens with the mouse scroll which makes it a native gesture which makes the people that overblow the "this is made just for tablets" look like complete idiots and asshats. 

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Nitth

So is Windows 7

Sorry you are mistaken.

What about windows 10?

Also DirectX 12 goodie soon ^_^ 

And Xbox Live integration ^_^ (whatever that means.)

And Cortana *_* (Windows Phone users will know)

And the Skype Translator *_*

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by mystik13
    I suggest classic shell, a free third party app (15 million downloads) to add windows 7 desktop features to windows 8.  The fact that windows 8 had a low uptake and vast numbers of people using third party apps to add desktop features, plus the restoration of desktop features in windows 10 suggest that forcing consumers to use metro backfired.

This is what I use. I highly recommend as well.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

So is Windows 7

Congratulations this comment has been selected as the blue ribbon winner. This was why I went 8.1 despite all the hate at the time I purchased.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by mystik13

Once you get used to the Metro interface there is some real gems in there. Its worth spending the time to learn and get used to it. 8.1 really made the Metro interface a lot easier to use. 

There have been several rumors that Windows 8.1 users will get free or steeply discounted upgrade pricing to Windows 10.

Microsoft did the same thing for Windows 8 when it first released (it was a $30 for Windows 7 users only).

It's probably still a little ways out - usually about 2 months before the release they will start handing out Free Upgrade vouchers to new PC buyers.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by Phry

So is Windows 7

Windows 7 has already had support discontinued, all thats left is patching, for the next 5 years, probably in the next year, the same is likely to happen to windows 8.1 - afaik it already has for Windows 8.0,  and still today, the two most popular Microsoft OS's are Windows 7, and in second place, Windows XP, which of course no longer has support of any kind.

The end of patching is what I'm talking about.  It's one thing for security holes to be found and then patched by Microsoft before anyone has a chance to do anything malicious to you.  It's quite another for security holes to be found and widely known but Microsoft is never going to patch them because support is completely discontinued.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Ridelynn   Originally posted by mystik13 I suggest classic shell, a free third party app (15 million downloads) to add windows 7 desktop features to windows 8.  The fact that windows 8 had a low uptake and vast numbers of people using third party apps to add desktop features, plus the restoration of desktop features in windows 10 suggest that forcing consumers to use metro backfired.
    Once you get used to the Metro interface there is some real gems in there. Its worth spending the time to learn and get used to it. 8.1 really made the Metro interface a lot easier to use. 

I've heard a lot of people say this, and I have no doubt it isn't that bad. I've tried a bit here and there, but I guess I'm old dog and metro is new tricks. Actually, I'm a OSX guy, but shh don't tell anyone here.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Phry

Mainstream support for MS desktop OS is set for minimum of 5 years of product availability or for 2 years newer product is released, whatever is longer.

Same for extended support.

So while Windows 8 ended their sales already, the mainstream support will run out in 2018 and extended support in 2023. Windows 7 will end the support completely in 2020.

• MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Didn't they say that 8.1 users get a free update to 10?  If so, I would list that as the best reason to go 8.1.