Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have this incredible idea for an MMO...but I'm afraid someone will steal my idea

This is some serious Jorodowsky's Dune level of a project. It basically would reunite the MMO community and finally set right the years of torment the community had suffered. And yes it has Perma-Death, because it's the only logical place for MMOs to go. It's been misused and misunderstood for far too long and it's part of wha will make this the Greatest, more electrifying game in sports entertainment.

I can't reveal much more though, I know somewhere Brad Mcquaid is lurking behind a Archage rant post ready to take off with my idea and sell it to Smedley for a quick buck...

Comments

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Unless you have a bagazillion dollars and high class management skills you ought to give your idea up to the community out of your innate superior generosity

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by randomt

Unless you have a bagazillion dollars and high class management skills you ought to give your idea up to the community out of your innate superior generosity

My generosity is well documented by my spotlight poster status.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Darn lowbies :D

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    No one cares about  "spotlight poster status" But if it makes you feel special...
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

I would like the community to know that the idea being presented by the OP was stolen from me.

Sludge hacked me to get it. He also took some unsavory selfies off my hard drive & is trying to blackmail me.

-Chuckles
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

I would like the community to know that the idea being presented by the OP was stolen from me.

Sludge hacked me to get it. He also took some unsavory selfies off my hard drive & is trying to blackmail me.

I feel like I've done enough showboating here to remove all doubt of tomfoolery.

But yeah those 99' Quake LAN party pics were less than savoryz

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

The problem is that everyone has an idea. Heck, I've seen so many people on modding sites have great ideas but they can't make them happen.

It's very possible that other people have had your idea or something close or something that uses components of it several times over.

However, what you can do is become someone who actually does things. Learn how you can legally protect your idea (if that's possible and in what forms that happens) learn how to put together a business plan, how to ask for money, learn how to find the right people for your project or at least a precursor project that can either make you money or at least solidify your team.

Because if you are just going too have a set of ideas and do nothing else then there are people out there who are movers, doers and get things done and are more than happy to dedicate a part of their lives getting similar ideas out there in some form.

good luck! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Pass cause permadeath. You can pm me for my paypal email t send me the money I just saved you

I wouldn't kickstarter my idea because it has too much balls. 

I wodbt even steam early access because it would end up like every mount and blade rip off game like carribean and vikings, and what ever happened got the total war series?

i never played Rome 2 but I would be hard pressed to buy it with a the negative review. Shogun 2 was gold if you fought the way to shogunate right and didn't over cav.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

nobody cares about you or your idea.

there ya go, you an stop worrying now.

Originally posted by DMKano

No offense OP - but chances are your idea has been floated around the dev studios for years already.

Out of every game that gets completed - each studio has had dozens of other games that were voted down before alpha and 1000s of ideas too that never got even to internal greenlight phase.

The only way to find out is to actually bring it up with some experienced MMO devs that you trust - that's the problem many folks on game forums are quick to bash devs and have never actually talked to any MMORPG devs in RL .. like ever.

Go attend game conferences - don't talk to marketing folks - go talk to actual lead devs behind the games - they are fascinating folks!

I'm actual best friends with the lead dev of the Pantheon dev team...so. :P

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    wow what a genius...permadeath..what an idea. You are an original MMO sevant. But don't worry, no one will steal your idea. It was non viable LONG ago. Keep that peanut brain working though, you might come up with something like leveling, or different classes, or maybe even free to play!
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

I understand you don't want to tell us your idea and that is your right. But I am assuming without information is that it's just 1 singular idea. I am assuming it's some kind of community idea to bring players closer together? Here are some questions you must ask your self first.

1. Why is my idea fun? Is it well thought out?

2. What Engine would work best with my idea?

3. How does my idea fit in other aspects of game design?

- How does it fit in my world?

- How does it compliment my combat mechanics and class design?

- How does it fit in with questing?

- Does my idea work within fluidity of gameplay and progression?

- What are the advantages and disadvantages for the idea?

- How frequently is this idea used? How do you balance this idea?

Those are just mere examples you must ask your self if you're serious about this. Do you have a cohesive game design document? To just say you have an idea that is revolutionary is just heresay. You have to think about it and think deeply about it, then determine how it can be done in a practical way. This is what game designers do.

So OP, do you have an idea that would encompass a whole mmo? Or is it just a singular idea?

Originally posted by bentrim
    wow what a genius...permadeath..what an idea. You are an original MMO sevant. But don't worry, no one will steal your idea. It was non viable LONG ago. Keep that peanut brain working though, you might come up with something like leveling, or different classes, or maybe even free to play!

Someone woke up on the wrong side of an arathi highmane, gee wiz.

Alrfht let me explain

Permadeath is in this game because everyone plays their character like a roguelike, your trying to g ey as far as you can with one character.

And the longer you stay alive.the longer your character ages in game, the older you get and this more experianced.

so being older doesn't mean your nessceary stronger just maybe smarter or more cautious.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308

http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/05/you-have-an-idea-for-a-game-heres-why-nobody-cares/

http://www.obscure.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/selling-game-design-ideas/

Honestly?  No one cares about your idea.  There's 10's of billions of them and the odds of it ever being made into a game are about as high as me winning the lottery.  We all have super awesome amazeball ideas for video games.

Frankly this seems more like a desperate cry for attention because yeah, a bunch of forum posters are going to have any clue how to advise you to make a game.

Note in the second article about how an 'idea' is basically useless unless you have a team which can implement it, which you obviously don't or they would be laughing at you right now for posting this on a forum.

Btw, I have an idea about faster than light travel.  If only i had any clue whatsoever how to make that happen, but hey it's an awesome idea!

Any your idea is goofy.  Why?

Super guild, all go stand in a corner somewhere and all 50 of them protect each other for 2 months and they are now all in god mode and kill everyone else on the server without any chance of anyone standing up to them.

awesome idea.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

I have no idea what is required in manpower, money or time to properly execute my idea, nor do I have the slightest bit of real data to quantify the size of my target audience.

Those weren't your exact words, but close enough.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    You all might be missing the possibility that op has a really twisted sense of humour, and is laughing it off right now. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    What hard core MMOer does not have an idea on how to make an MMO? Heck I think most of us have a dream MMO designed in their heads. Hell I would give my idea away now if someone had the money to build it, just so I could play it lol
  • ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by bentrim

Someone woke up on the wrong side of an arathi highmane, gee wiz.

Alrfht let me explain

Permadeath is in this game because everyone plays their character like a roguelike, your trying to g ey as far as you can with one character.

And the longer you stay alive.the longer your character ages in game, the older you get and this more experianced.

so being older doesn't mean your nessceary stronger just maybe smarter or more cautious.

This is very similar to online games in the 80's. You basically had one life, and had to make the most of it.

However, the more difficult issue that you are going to need to deal with is this. Gaming ideas/designs are basically worthless. What has value is coding and development. If you have those two things, you can get/use any idea/design you want.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Figured it was a troll thread...sigh...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is some serious Jorodowsky's Dune level of a project. It basically would reunite the MMO community and finally set right the years of torment the community had suffered. And yes it has Perma-Death, because it's the only logical place for MMOs to go. It's been misused and misunderstood for far too long and it's part of wha will make this the Greatest, more electrifying game in sports entertainment.

I can't reveal much more though, I know somewhere Brad Mcquaid is lurking behind a Archage rant post ready to take off with my idea and sell it to Smedley for a quick buck...

Dude i'll be honest you actually made me chuckle,put a smile on my face lol.Perma death lol that idea would work if you want 200 players online and turn a profit of 50 bucks a month.There is nothing to misunderstand,i am a big pvp fan i know exactly what both PVE and PVP do.I also know what brings each to it's peak.That does not matter what will get designed is what  a few people inside each development team want,their OWN personal preferences.That means foremost the investors opinions and then the actual CEO and President ect ect,the entire board will have their input.

Joe Smuck back in the store room or janitor room could have better ideas for the game than anyone else but his opinion matters not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

We all have our own incredible ideas for a MMO.

Mine combines the best elements of Asheron's Call, Path of Exile, Diablo 2, and Neverwinter. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

lol .. ideas are a dime a dozen.

Implementing a successful software project, OTOH, is much more rare.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

From: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks we get to:  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks.3 which has:  Why a Game Designer Will Never Steal Your Idea

Also:   http://www.jeffwofford.com/?p=783

Finally:   http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

Enjoy

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"