Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I love WildStar

ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318

I want to start off by saying that it saddens me how so many games these days get a lot of hate by fanboys of "current game of the month", especially on these forums. I mean if you don't like a game, go play one you like, and move on. There're many games that are popular, yet I think are horrible, but you don't see me going to every forum and posting bad stuff about them.

Anyway, back to the subject. WildStar is the first MMO in a quite some time that has me really hooked. Time flies when I play it, and it's really fun. It's really deep and has tons of things to do. It had some hiccups at start, but what new MMO doesn't. Character movement in the game is amazing. You can double jump, sprint and dodge. Combat is best in any MMO I ever played yet. It actually requires skill and is not just mindless mashing of buttons 1-9. Quests have a lot of variety, and you always do something new, rather than just go kill X number of mobs. They require you to think to solve them. Fighting monsters your level is actually challenging, not like in some MMOs where you just destroy them. The setting of the game is really innovative too, compared to most MMOs focusing on fantasy.  Graphics may not be everyone's cup of tea, if you prefer realism. But I love them, cause if I want realism, I can always go outside (wherever that is.... ;) ).  You may say that the game suffers from lack of people playing. It's not like at launch, but you frequently run into people questing. I play in EU, on Jabbit server, and I'm currently in a guild with a bit over 300 members. The guild raids and there's always something going on, (PvP, dungeons etc.). Some will say that this belongs in the review section, but I just wanna shine some light on this gem. If people have the right to post shit about it on this forum, I have the right to write good things about it, cause I love playing it.

TL;DR: I love WildStar. Don't like it? Llook for another game. Haven't tried it? I highly recommend.

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I liked it, too, for the 3 months I played it. It has its own style and requires thought and attention to environment. I'm not exactly sure what stops me from returning. I still have it on my desktop, but can't bring myself to resub. Maybe in the future a RL friend will want to check it out. I'll definitely hang out with them.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    I tried to get into it multiple times, but the 3 hour PVP and dungeon queues while leveling just completely put me off.
  • ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    I liked it, too, for the 3 months I played it. It has its own style and requires thought and attention to environment. I'm not exactly sure what stops me from returning. I still have it on my desktop, but can't bring myself to resub. Maybe in the future a RL friend will want to check it out. I'll definitely hang out with them.

Big patch is hitting soon, so it's worth taking another look at.

Originally posted by doodphace
    I tried to get into it multiple times, but the 3 hour PVP and dungeon queues while leveling just completely put me off.

Well to be honest right now all the action happens at 50. So you either quest till max, or find a guild with people to do dungeons with.

Originally posted by ionxeel

Well to be honest right now all the action happens at 50. So you either quest till max, or find a guild with people to do dungeons with.

In a world where I am spoiled with options that have near instant queues while leveling, I just can't bring myself to quest from start to max in an MMO doing fetch and kill quests anymore...

In a world where I am spoiled with options that have near instant queues while leveling, I just can't bring myself to quest from start to max in an MMO doing fetch and kill quests anymore...

Quests are done pretty well I like mentioned earlier, but if that's not how you want to level, like I said, join a guild.

Quests are done pretty well like mentioned earlier, but if that's not how you want to level, like I said, join a guild.

I've quested until level 42, the quests are not much diffeent than what I have done over and over in many MMOs (WoW, Rift, SWTOR) In a post TSW world, Wildstars quests are just as generic as most other games. Joining guilds in my last stint did not help at all; i was in 2 guilds that had 20+ people active every time i logged in, and I was never able to get a full group of people for a dungeon. like I said, in a world where I am spoiled with options that have near instant queues, I can't bring myself to do the same quests over and over, and spam zone/guild chat for hours looking for a group.....lets not even mention PVP queues, or completely lack there of pre 50.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i love the graphics and art style in WS, but both the combat and the poor and limited class design was enough to make me move on and never look back. And the dull questing was the nail in the coffin.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    I liked it until every one of my friends quit.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I've never been a game of the month person, and I believe this game deserves all the hate it got.  The devs were so cocky, they thought this was going to be THE mmo. Instead it fell short, basically crumbled.  Why? Because only foolish amateur developers try to reincarnate practices from classic WoW and think it will be a hit, contrary to popular belief, the overwhelming majority of people don't want that. 

There's other problems of course that would turn a base of people away: the god awful optimization, absurd combat effects/animations, lack of major lore pieces, but their problems started with "oh we worked on classic WoW bro, get out of here".  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ZengrokZengrok Member UncommonPosts: 18
    It failed by offering too much of everything.  They were focused on offering everything every other MMO before it had, and then some.  A dizzying trip of pointlessness.
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

I have alot of fun in this game, doing stuff with our guild all the time :) Usually 18-20 online in the guild at any given time.

When i que for tank and deeps the dungeons are insta que for me at least.

This game is alot of fun, its the first MMO i've felt like  I could call home since RIFT went down the FTP crapper.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

You don't want to queue dungeons in Wildstar. Dungeons have a slightly higher difficulty than other games, because they require intricate pulling, interrupt and movement tactics. You'd be very, very lucky to pug a successful experience.

Hey. If you don't like it, no one forces you to play. But hating on it is pointless. Just use up that energy to find a game you like. I'm happy I found an MMO to play, while there're so few good choices.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Hey. If you don't like it, no one forces you to play. But hating on it is pointless. Just use up that energy to find a game you like. I'm happy I found an MMO to play, while there're so few good choices.

I personally loathe the game. Everything from the boring quests, to the shitty combat, to the garbage art-style.

That being said, more power to you if you are having fun, I hope it stays open long enough for you to get everything out of it you want.

(As a former hater and now huge fan of ESO I want to be clear that my statement here is purposefully meant to be ironic. I could literally be talking about any game in such a hyperbolic manner)

• Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I have defended the game up and down from the start. It's too bad, I think most people quit before the game got good, but perhaps that is a design flaw.
    Originally posted by Entinerint

I personally loathe the game. Everything from the boring quests, to the shitty combat, to the garbage art-style.

That being said, more power to you if you are having fun, I hope it stays open long enough for you to get everything out of it you want.

(As a former hater and now huge fan of ESO I want to be clear that my statement here is purposefully meant to be ironic. I could literally be talking about any game in such a hyperbolic manner)

Not sure how someone be a fan of ESO, but same goes for you if you're having fun. Tried it 3 times, and couldn't take more than an hour before I uninstalled.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I want to start off by saying that it saddens me how so many games these days get a lot of hate by fanboys of "current game of the month", especially on these forums. I mean if you don't like a game, go play one you like, and move on. There're many games that are popular, yet I think are horrible, but you don't see me going to every forum and posting bad stuff about them.

We wouldn't have a forum if everyone did this. I'm not disagreeing with your thinking, i'm just stating the obvious.

Originally posted by Alders

We wouldn't have a forum if everyone did this. I'm not disagreeing with your thinking, i'm just stating the obvious.

Or we could have forums where people discuss gameplay tactics and such, rather than just bitch like they're entitled for every game to fit specifically them.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Alders

Or we could have forums where people discuss gameplay tactics and such, rather than just bitch like they're entitled for every game to fit specifically them.

You made a thread with the words Why I love Wildstar.  Now, if you follow the industry at all, you know a lot of people Don't love this game. Elaborate for us, and tell us what kind of responses you expected to get on this thread that is completely unrelated to tactics of any sort.  I gave a rather constructive responsive of why this game gets the hate it does, you had no reply.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• bstrippbstripp Member Posts: 241

Wildstar is a fun game.  I enjoyed leveling two characters up to Max level.  The classes were diverse enough that I enjoyed the different mechanics and the quests were fun enough that repeating them twice wasn't too bad.  The housing system is great, and the combat is enjoyable.

However...

The empahsis on Raid's and the long attunement were a really bad decision.  Gated PvP gear was a really bad decision.  Allowing wintrading to essentially be rewarded was a really bad idea.  Large ques for Raids and Warplots was a really bad decision.  Random slots on gear forcing you to grind was a really bad idea.  I gigantic gap between PvP and top end PvE gear was a really bad idea.  Etc...

There were some HUGE design decisions which just seemed to make the game get in the way of itself.  I loved the PvP and when it died, I left shortly after.  From what I see on the forums, they have a long way to go in that area of the game even if it does seem they are working on some of the other issues.

I hope it does well, but it will be a while before I come back to try it again.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

If you're going to create a thread in which you devote your undying love for a game and say how great and perfect it is, you should expect people to disagree with you. How is it fair that you get an opinion, but they don't? How about, instead of attacking them for their opinions, you try to change their minds or at least make a counter argument.

Anyway, I played the game and while I did enjoy it at first, it got old and tiresome rather quickly... In spite of that I forced myself to keep going til I got to 50. Once I reached 50 it was like the game was done for me... It was the first time in a game where I felt lost or that my options actually became more limited once I reached the level cap. Combat was cool and nice to look at, but underneath it is nothing different. PvP is nothing but a spam fest where groups of people congregate and just spam their telegraph abilities all over the place... No skill involved whatsoever. The crafting/unlock/achievement thing was kinda neat, but very buggy at the time. Overall, the game just sucked to me... At this point I was better off playing similar games where I had already established characters, community, and friends... Why should I start all over in, what is essentially, the same game?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I loved the humour and the art style. I enjoyed the classes,quests and stories  and really liked the game a lot .The housing especially but I disliked the combat. It finally made me quit. I am happy that you are enjoying the game.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I loved the artstyle and many of the "small things" in Wildstar. But i realized very soon that it is run by a studio of sorry amateurs that have no idea about many of the most basic concepts of making an mmorpg.

Until today (and after 9 years of development) they weren't able to bring performance to an acceptable level, simply because they can't.

Then the whole EU has barely enough players to populate ONE PvE-server that is even empty in the lower levels (and better don't even ask about PvP-Luminai) -yet Carbine just cannot grasp the concept of free trials up to lvl XY.

To establish a game like this out of the blue it takes a studio with manpower and knowledge and not some wannabe rockstars who are too busy padding themselves on the back for how hardcore they are. And then the rats who screamed the loudest bailed out and left the sinking ship.

The game had potential beyond believe, but was doomed with Carbine from the get go. Carbine got what they deserved, Wildstar unfortunately did not.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    At least a few people can find something good about this game and are still playing it versus people saying how good it is/was and not even subbed. Personally I didn't care for it and thankfully I got to test it before wasting money on it to find out.