Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The nostalgia is strong with this one.

Find myself wanting to play my Warrior Priest and Squig Herder all the time.

Despite its many flaws, it wasn't too bad of a PVP game.

Kinda wish they would've just gone full FTP with cash shop.

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Yeah, I played it from time to time, and liked most of the classes. Not sure why more people didn't play it. I guess the PvP gets kinda boring after a bit.

I think maybe it died since the PvE sucked, but not sure. I wonder how Camelot Unchained will fair since it seems to be skimping on the PvE also.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Yeah, I played it from time to time, and liked most of the classes. Not sure why more people didn't play it. I guess the PvP gets kinda boring after a bit.

I think maybe it died since the PvE sucked, but not sure. I wonder how Camelot Unchained will fair since it seems to be skimping on the PvE also.

The pvp did get boring for me at times because instead of fighting, I was spending all my time looking for someone to fight...

Don't know why they thought it was a good idea to make the world so big but I guess they might've thought more people would be playing so fights would be easily found.

I hope Camelot Unchained doesn't suffer from the same problems WAR had.

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I really enjoyed WAR, both PVP and PVE it always seemed like there was too big of a game between players with the division of levels to ever have fun. I am not sure why it wasn't picked up by more people but the lack of is why I quit.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• punkindonutspunkindonuts Member UncommonPosts: 13

There are ways to RETURN to the heady days OF WAR if you know where to look on google thats my RECKONING 

wink wink

• SarocSaroc Member UncommonPosts: 37

I really miss the game too.

Also, i must be one of the few who actually enjoyed the PvE, especially hunting for unlocks.

• Originally posted by punkindonuts
    There are ways to RETURN to the heady days OF WAR if you know where to look on google thats my RECKONING wink wink

This... Hear his words!

Best mmo I've ever played. I miss it so much... I had an amazing guild and I played with them for 5 amazing years.

• DrinkNdRiVeDrinkNdRiVe Member UncommonPosts: 10
    free private server to play warhammer online, nice community and alot of fun ! come play guys :)

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/index.php
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Still waiting for the flip.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    F2P is really hard with PvP focused games, you can't let people buy anything that messes with the games balance but you still need to earn enough money for running the game and making EA happy...

And it wouldn't surprise me if GW had a rather high price for the IP which you need to cover as well. And the type of WARs PvP doesn't make it good for tournaments people actually have to pay to compete in, otherwise that could have helped as well.

I am sure they already considered this when they decided to close down the game, it just wouldn't have worked.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Overall a sub par MMO. But the scenarios were some of the best I have played, partly down to my class that used to punt opposing players into lava, off high terrain features etc. Such fun. :)
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    f2p wasn't really a thing back then.

Also, Mark Jacobs has said that he'd just shut down an MMO rather then turn it into a f2p cash grab.  He did that with Warhammer but nobody can say for sure if he would've in today's environment.

Agreed though, the game was highly underrated.  It pissed me off at times, but compared to the MMOs that came after it was actually great.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited October 2016
    This game had it's charms. The public quests were fun in the first couple of weeks. Scenarios were fun. There were some class balance issues (like in all games, I guess). There should have been 3 factions for proper rvr. When the population started dropping all at once, the fun dropped with it.

Best Orks ever, though. 

yup  3 faction would have been great
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I enjoyed this game while it lasted.  Probably the biggest problem I saw with design on this one was locking RvR by level.  It spread out the players that they actually had and made it so you had a couple here or there.  Hardly ever really saw to many major pvp battles with more than say 40 people total after a couple months.  It did have one of the most fun classes ever though in the squid herder!
    on the private server there often events and i see plenty of full warband to join in, seriously worth a try if u miss warhammer and waiting for camelot to release ^^ im in a nice Dwarves r-p guild and its pretty fun haha
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    IMO WAR died due to the poorly implemented PvP; it just got boring. When the game first released most players on my server appeared to be hiding/levelling in the scenarios until they tried to fix owPvP to be more rewarding. 

At first it was great with players engaging in keep battles (some of the most fun I've had playing PvP) but then the players realised it was easy to take turns in flipping the keeps without resistance (factions avoiding each other to attack empty keeps), which IMO killed of the PvP.

Once EA made levels one to ten FTP, it hammered another nail in WAR's coffin.  PvP in Nordland was a constant running battle between factions, but the moment you levelled past it the game turned into a ghost town (until you reach endgame).  Don't get me wrong, you could get some fun between the lvl 11-20 range but levelling past 30+ was a desolate affair. 

I knew quite a few people who would just keep rerolling alts once they past level 10 and in the end cancelled their subs and played the 1 to 10 game until they got bored and quit.

I could go on in length about mistakes in PvE, public quests, faction unbalance due to one faction having loads of cool, bad ass looking class/combos compared to the dull, bland offerings of the other factions (points finger at SWTOR) but instead I will end it by stating WAR could of been a great game if Mythic/EA took some time to fine tune some of the basic game systems and reacted better to some of issues, which were having a negative effect on the game.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited October 2016
    As Buccaneer says, the pvp implementation was bad. They made the classic error of having scenarios which were better than the keep battles. But the whole PvP design was ill conceived.