Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert gameplay seems shockingly bad.

Comments

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

what i really hate is that those guys come in, throw something they think is their 'opinion' in the forum and then are never seen again. do they even read the answers, the discussion?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Some Sorceress combos

Q = Restore Mana Depending on Dark Spirit Stacks
    Q + Spacebar = Defense Buff
    LMB = Normal Attack
    RMB = Pew Pew Dark Orbs Attack
    Shift+LMB = Dash Attack
    Shift+RMB = Chain Attack
    Shift+WASD = Blink
    Shift+WASD 2x = Blink followed by tumble explosion.
    LMBxRMB alternate then Q = Fast way to recover Mana
    Shift+Spacebar = Convert Mana into HP
    Shift+LMB to RMB = Dash Attack Followed by Kick
    F = Kick
    W+F = Power Knock Back
    D+F = Instant Knock Back
    D+RMB = Large Dark Orbs
    AorD+LMB = Side Slash
    W+RMB = Blink Strike
    LMB+RMB = Kamehameha (Obviously not the real name)
    LMB+RMB Hold = Power Kamehameha
    LMB+RMB to Spacebar = Absorb Kamehameha
    D+E = Small Group Fear
    W+E = AoE Group Fear (Forgot if this was quick key)

Taken from Steparu's "Black Desert Online Gameplay Controls Sorceress Skills + Key Inputs Commands HD"

Another Video from Amae detailing Warrior skills and their descriptions.

There's another video of him actually fighting, but this one serves the imagination enough. However do note that this list is out of date and that some skills have been changed/added/removed

The real issue that Black Desert has is that none of the AI could ever fight anywhere well as a player can. Even if given the same or similar abilities the AI response time is sluggish even for players with a higher than average ping.

The head developer is a fighting game buff. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or not.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, really impressive, how he allready reached the totaly awesome lvl of 16 for the first fight and 18 for the later ones, and he actually manages to survive a whole of 2 mobs!!!!!

damn what a boring game. i bet it totaly doesn't get harder on endgame. those games never do.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    A block button is a must. W/o it's the same old circle strafe/roll and roll around.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by bcbully
    A block button is a must. W/o it's the same old circle strafe/roll and roll around.

Which is why I do not understand the hype around these so called " Next Gen " MMORPGs.. They are hideous and everyone wants to do damage leading to groups that are nothing more than a headache. As I said before these games are made for those than have short attention spans and cant be bothered with actually having to think during battle.

• RaaedRaaed Member Posts: 1

Yup. Fancy graphics + F2P = Hype.

The combat looks dreadful, and since its an asian MMO, I don't have high hopes for it to have decent quests.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Which is why I do not understand the hype around these so called " Next Gen " MMORPGs.. They are hideous and everyone wants to do damage leading to groups that are nothing more than a headache. As I said before these games are made for those than have short attention spans and cant be bothered with actually having to think during battle.

I don't understand the hate. It just seems that people will find anything to bash a game for. Action combat means you have no attention spam and require no thinking? Sounds to me you don't play them or you play them poorly. 

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Idc anything is better than the copy and paste tab target combat that has plagued 90% of the mmo's in the past decade.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by josko9

I was actually taking some time to look how Black Desert is progressing, even though I never really intended on playing it.

Korean MMOs just don't interest me that much.

I have to wonder though, what is with all the Graphics hype? This is nowhere near the ESO standard.

Also the combat is not that bad, but it doesn't touch ESO either.

Should be a decent F2P game anyway. However no reason to really promote game based on it's graphics, when it didn't even launch yet, and it's far behind ESO already.

Obvious ESO bias is obvious.  Especially when comparing to a game that isn't released.

I'm sure 100% of the people who have played both games (those who tested it or played it at a convention) will disagree about ESO having better graphics, unless they're trolling.  As for the combat?  That's personal taste, as always.

ESO isn't a bad game, as there are certainly fans of it on the forums.  It also seems to have enough to hold a P2P model and won a bout against Wildstar.  But creating an account the day this thread was made just to -- what I consider (and in my opinion) -- to be inciteful trolling makes real and respectable ESO fans look bad.

It's also curious that the OP hasn't responded to to his/her own post on bashing this game, and you created your account shortly after he/she made it.  Huh.  You're both 35 years of age.  You posted seven minutes after the thread was made.  One gives an exact location in profile, while the other jarble.  Very interesting coincidence.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

I mean OP is a FFXIV fanboi so I find this whole thread shockingly ironic.

FFXIV combat is basically stolen from WoW with longer global cooldowns so don't know how much you can complain about Black Desert.....

FFXIV combat is by far the worst combat in any MMO I've ever played, including the free Korean P2W titles.  It is so slow, unskilled and boring.  It's almost like playing a turn based game which is beyond horrible for an MMO.

Rhetorical exaggeration to prove a point.

Experience with every class, craft and gathering profession at level 50 (x2 since I did it in 1.0 and 2.0) -- with each having ilvl 90+ gear (some higher due to being mains in raids) -- has shown to me that this game is far from having the "worst" combat system in the genre.  Do I find it entertaining?  Only on few classes, but not on the whole.  But it can get very tactical and difficult to pull of many feats with certain classes.  Monks in particular used to have several rotations to perform depending on the situation, their environment, mob positioning, mechanics, your personal buffs, etc.  Some rotations had to be performed within a single global cooldown of each other or you completely and utterly lose all capability to do DPS and have to start all over to regain your momentum.  Ninjas... Well, Ninjas and their Mudras or whatever have to actually do multiple inputs (or hand signs) before even doing a single major attack.  Which can be chained with other abilities to make an instant second Ninjitsu, as well as maintaining everything else.  Situational attacks, teleports, etc.  The stealthing system is awful.

Slow?   It's sensible to see many people thinking this.  Boring?  Again, totally understandable, especially if someone didn't play all the classes to find one that matched their playstyle.  But unskilled?  It honestly has more skill and depth than WoW does (a game which I have said good things about lately and play), much more than what Guild Wars 2 does (A franchise I enjoy and have five 80s in, even if I don't like it's direction; though I wouldn't call GW2's combat bad, just simplistic), etc.  Just to name a few of the games I dabble in right now (I quit FFXIV back when personal housing came out; came back briefly to get Ninja to 50 since I still had gametime from my Legacy discount and buying six months at a time).

Games simply die out quickly if they have what is considered to be a poor combat system (by enough people to not hold an audience).  Even if they have great content.  The Secret World is an example of this.  FFXIV's combat system is wildly popular by those who play it.  Could it be improved?  Certainly.  In fact, most games could be.  Though point of the matter is that exaggerations to such a degree do not lend good will to one's opinions regarding other matters.  If it's the worst or just bad to you, then that's personal preference, yes.  Though others may also question your experience with MMOs in general if something that isn't all that bad (coming from people who have tried every class) is proclaimed as the absolute worse.  That is a strong thing to say, and the ramifications to the credibility of one's future opinions is real.

<div cfbody"="">

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by Kiyoris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Xd3cUn-Pc#t=22

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

1. You are judging a PvP game based on low level PvE - lol

2. This is a PvP game - PvE is a joke like it is in ArcheAge, PvE is totally secondary 

3. Its action combat - dodging is sort of a big deal when your character has no shield to block - this is a sorceress - she has no block

4. Other classes fight differently - as each class has different abilities

Have you ever watched Tara combat with characters who can't block? Guess what they had e to dodge

This pretty much sums it for me as well.  +1

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Some Sorceress combos

Q = Restore Mana Depending on Dark Spirit Stacks
    Q + Spacebar = Defense Buff
    LMB = Normal Attack
    RMB = Pew Pew Dark Orbs Attack
    Shift+LMB = Dash Attack
    Shift+RMB = Chain Attack
    Shift+WASD = Blink
    Shift+WASD 2x = Blink followed by tumble explosion.
    LMBxRMB alternate then Q = Fast way to recover Mana
    Shift+Spacebar = Convert Mana into HP
    Shift+LMB to RMB = Dash Attack Followed by Kick
    F = Kick
    W+F = Power Knock Back
    D+F = Instant Knock Back
    D+RMB = Large Dark Orbs
    AorD+LMB = Side Slash
    W+RMB = Blink Strike
    LMB+RMB = Kamehameha (Obviously not the real name)
    LMB+RMB Hold = Power Kamehameha
    LMB+RMB to Spacebar = Absorb Kamehameha
    D+E = Small Group Fear
    W+E = AoE Group Fear (Forgot if this was quick key)

Taken from Steparu's "Black Desert Online Gameplay Controls Sorceress Skills + Key Inputs Commands HD"

Another Video from Amae detailing Warrior skills and their descriptions.

There's another video of him actually fighting, but this one serves the imagination enough. However do note that this list is out of date and that some skills have been changed/added/removed

The real issue that Black Desert has is that none of the AI could ever fight anywhere well as a player can. Even if given the same or similar abilities the AI response time is sluggish even for players with a higher than average ping.

The head developer is a fighting game buff. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or not.

The AI and PvE is not the focus so don't expect much - the end game is all about trade runs, crafting and PvP - just like ArcheAge

Folks need to understand that this is a guild centric PvP game - if you are looking for a PvE game keep looking 

It also has exemplary role playing capacity with it's exceptional emotes, and even being able to lean against walls and sit on most objects in a realistic way.  In addition to the actual weather system, map, equipment visibly getting torn or dirty with mud, etc.  The developers mentioned something about a PvE server, but on the whole if it's focused on PvP, people should heed these words.  Maybe some nice RP-PVP guilds will rise, or just large scale RP guilds that take advantage of the situation.  Though we'll just have to see how the westernization will handle others issues that are typical in Korean MMORPGs.

I believe some classes do have a block function.  Though it has to make sense.  Then again, a magic user could create a magical barrier, I guess.  Though if the class is about fast attacks or beserking actions, then it may detract from it.  Instead, it's likely "balanced" in such a way that it isn't needed to add to the flow of combat and the feeling of the class.

• Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Yay, another web surfer with a pro opinion on how the game plays in actuality.

+1

Why does everyone feel the need to flame a game when they havent even played it properly?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Sector13

I don't understand the hate. It just seems that people will find anything to bash a game for. Action combat means you have no attention spam and require no thinking? Sounds to me you don't play them or you play them poorly. 

As a fan of action combat in MMO's, the combo system is a turn off, so it's not about attention span or thinking, or reaction time.  Using a combo system doesn't work so well on a keyboard.  It's more suitable for a controller.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Just tell me there is nothing like labor points in this game.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

I don't think anyone who plays FFXIV has any business talking about bad combat.  That game is a hair away from turn based.

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    When I saw in a video that this game has the "feature" that you don't have to do anything but click a link in your quest journal and your character will autorun there, I knew this isn't a game for me.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

tbh it "LOOKS" like gw2 i dunno about the combat but it really does not look too far from gw2

btw i just glanced at the black desert  pic at the top of the page..the picture of the woman looks like shes crossed eyed lmao

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    So disappointed in the changes done to BDO, it is went from a pretty good game to a massive solo online role play game... no fucking trading, no healing (since there is no proper support lel), PVP starts on soft cap level (i.e. 50). It is like Archeage korean closed all over again. Fuck this shit, albion or das tal it is... if they do the same I wont touch any MMOs again, this genre has totally gone to shit.
  • xiorathxiorath Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    So disappointed in the changes done to BDO, it is went from a pretty good game to a massive solo online role play game... no fucking trading, no healing (since there is no proper support lel), PVP starts on soft cap level (i.e. 50). It is like Archeage korean closed all over again. Fuck this shit, albion or das tal it is... if they do the same I wont touch any MMOs again, this genre has totally gone to shit.

Holy sh** man, Stop the rivers of tears in your post....Please!! They've stated multiple times that a lot of the things you listed are only temporary due to open beta to prevent exploitation, heavy progression and so on. Wait til release. 

If you don't like the state of the game then come back when its released here in the US and judge it then. You are whining about the state of a KOREAN BETA MMO. 

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Originally posted by xiorath

Holy sh** man, Stop the rivers of tears in your post....Please!! They've stated multiple times that a lot of the things you listed are only temporary due to open beta to prevent exploitation, heavy progression and so on. Wait til release. 

If you don't like the state of the game then come back when its released here in the US and judge it then. You are whining about the state of a KOREAN BETA MMO. 

the korean open beta is kinda like a launch here tho....

- no healing is true.. its all based on dps and potion popping. BUT.. there might be a class coming with support skills

- trading is not active atm.

im also dissapointed the the direction they are going.. the cashshop items are going p2w aswell...

crystals can be bought to upgrade your weopons or armor.. not a good thing

instead of popping more variations into the armor cosmetics they are putting p2w crap in their shop.. 

still too soon to say anything tho.. game is now running 4 weeks 

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

yeaaaa lot more boring than a wow macro routine

oh are we done yet?

So, he just showed a whopping 2 abilities being used, vs you mentioning wow using ~5 abilities?

At the very least its slightly more complicated, that should count for something.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by xiorath

So look, i have 0 skin in the game, what i mean by that is im not even REMOTELY interested in this game or these types of games (i.e. open world pvp, etc).

That being said, do you REALLY believe that they did this "just for beta/alpha" etc.  You know that $$$ is going to be the end result, and rather than be faced with a complete failure, they WILL change the product to be more ultra casual / on rails if they think it will keep them afloat, or make them significantly more money.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

yeaaaa lot more boring than a wow macro routine

oh are we done yet?

You must be really bad at PvP if you think you can macro your way to victory.  I love roasting the "macroers" when their unable to adapt to changes.

Oh you must be talking about PVE sorry.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

So....you're basing it off of one thing? Group setting perhaps it could be different? PvP? Class variance? You might want to add "in my opinion" next time to get flamed less.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I never really saw anthing special about this title, cant understand the "hype" for it.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development