Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert gameplay seems shockingly bad.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Xd3cUn-Pc#t=22

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

Comments

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

yeaaaa lot more boring than a wow macro routine

oh are we done yet?

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Pretty much the same really, the only difference is dodge. Even then all you are throwing in the rotation is whatever button dodge might be on. I would much rather have a block.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

i can say out of my own level 50 experience.. this is not the case in black desert.

if you spamm anything in this game your pretty much dead both pve and pvp wise except maybe for the archer but they might patch it..

Currently the game is doing great in obt.. they almost patch every day.. big update will come in 3 weeks with new clases and castle sieging 

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    What do you consider shockingly good? 
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

This can be said about most games w/ real time combat. Because, on a fundamental lvl, that's kinda how real combat works (though smarter people won't usually spam, and will actually think about what they're doing).

Black Desert's hype is entirely based on pretty graphics and flashy combat. Which is why its usually a good idea to hold your expectations until you get a full understand of the game you're interested in.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Yay, another web surfer with a pro opinion on how the game plays in actuality.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

All i care about is how good group/party play is in PVE. I haven't seen any of that. It's all solo play rounding up lots of mobs and AoE'ing them down. 

As much as i love Korean MMO's for their art style and fantastic character creators, the actual PVE content is almost always terrible.

Is this going to be just another PVP zergfest with empty servers after a month? I'm tired of those.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Combat is still better on a fundamental level than tab target MMOs like WoW.

PvE design needs to be better and so far in my opinion the only action combat MMO with good PvE design is Wildstar (raids and dungeons only), but that game has so many other problems that drags it down.  That's really where WoW and a few good copycats like Rift excel over action MMOs in terms of gameplay.  It does look like Black Desert will suffer from the same issue of not having great PvE design and a lot of it is probably due to having no trinity just like GW2 it's much more difficult to design compelling content when you don't have preset roles and everyone is self sufficient.

At least PvP in action MMOs is usually leagues better than anything found in tab target MMOs and I wouldn't doubt it's going to be the same case with Black Desert.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

I'd never really thought about what a korean-reading, ethnic gangsta-speaking gamer sounds like, but now I know anyway.

"Who's gonna take you seriously, looking like a hooker?"

She be jammin, Scion Storm. She be jammin.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    Oh hey, someone watched a YouTube video and is now an expert on the game play.

Don't see that on the internet ever.

As someone who had actually played Black Desert I would say that it has the best combat for an MMO.
    BD does have a few weak spots but combat is definitely not one of them.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

I'm not a fan of Street Fighter MMO's but shockingly bad is a poor choice of words. I'm suddenly interested what terrible MMO's OP considers good.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

As has already been mentioned, this is the crux of "action combat".

The idea is not dodge, spam attack, spam attack (and what does that really mean? If you are attacking in any game then you might as well use the word "spam" as you will always be "spamming an attack"?) dodge, etc. 

The idea is when you attack, when you dodge, when you block (if your character has block).

Look at the pvp videos. You will see that it's more about getting into range, incapacitating your opponent, blocking/dodging, using certain abilities.

This is the "you" part. Otherwise, one could say about any shooter that it was all about dodging and spamming attacks even though that's just basic understanding of what the player is doing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Sovrath

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

As has already been mentioned, this is the crux of "action combat".

The idea is not dodge, spam attack, spam attack (and what does that really mean? If you are attacking in any game then you might as well use the word "spam" as you will always be "spamming an attack"?) dodge, etc. 

The idea is when you attack, when you dodge, when you block (if your character has block).

Look at the pvp videos. You will see that it's more about getting into range, incapacitating your opponent, blocking/dodging, using certain abilities.

This is the "you" part. Otherwise, one could say about any shooter that it was all about dodging and spamming attacks even though that's just basic understanding of what the player is doing.

Agreed. OP's post could literally be applied to any game in any genre. What does "spam attack" mean? Is it referring to any attack at all? In that case the OP is correct. You are indeed dodging and spamming attacks. Though the same could be said for GW2, wildstar, tera, etc. And if you're going to put that basic of an understanding on a game then lets throw in Halo, God of War, Dragon Age, Final Fantasy, [insert random game here] - since all you're doing is dodging and spamming attacks, right?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The combat is vastly different to almost all MMO's.  It has combos you need to use.  It's as different as Age of Wushu is to WoW.  It's not going to be for everyone, but i'll try it out since it looks very interactive instead of just standing in place looking at telegraphed moves.  At least i'll be able to dodge.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I love action combat but when the game needlessly makes you have to do Mortal Kombat style memorization for keypresses to fire off ability then it's stupid.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

While BD looks very nice and I will give it a try.. I am not sure about it. Most videos I see is someone taking on 10+ enemies at the same time and to me that isnt fun. Tactics and group dynamics disappear in action MMORPGs it seems.

Also out of all the tab target games I have played I have never just did 1 2 3 4 5 as so many claim them to be.. However in the action MMORPGs I have played I have done just that because they are just stupidly easy and nearly all of the fights are over so quickly that brain power is not needed.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

I mean OP is a FFXIV fanboi so I find this whole thread shockingly ironic.

FFXIV combat is basically stolen from WoW with longer global cooldowns so don't know how much you can complain about Black Desert.....

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577

I was actually taking some time to look how Black Desert is progressing, even though I never really intended on playing it.

Korean MMOs just don't interest me that much.

I have to wonder though, what is with all the Graphics hype? This is nowhere near the ESO standard.

Also the combat is not that bad, but it doesn't touch ESO either.

Should be a decent F2P game anyway. However no reason to really promote game based on it's graphics, when it didn't even launch yet, and it's far behind ESO already.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

While BD looks very nice and I will give it a try.. I am not sure about it. Most videos I see is someone taking on 10+ enemies at the same time and to me that isnt fun. Tactics and group dynamics disappear in action MMORPGs it seems.

Also out of all the tab target games I have played I have never just did 1 2 3 4 5 as so many claim them to be.. However in the action MMORPGs I have played I have done just that because they are just stupidly easy and nearly all of the fights are over so quickly that brain power is not needed.

Disagree, we need more MMO's that feature huge battles with lots of Mobs.  It is why I still think Asheron's Call Combat was heck of a lot of fun.  Fighting 10+ mobs at a time frantically trying to position and stay alive is fun and realistic.  Standing still trading blows with a mob while pressing 1 2 3 4 5 isn't.  And if you say you don't do that in Tab Target it's because you set your hotbar's up wrong.

Tactics and group dynamics mean your interacting with your enemy, and standing still is not tactical nor is it dynamic so maybe you need to research what those terms mean.  If you're playing an Action MMO via the same strat as a tab target game then you're doing it wrong.  Sure you can finish mobs fast but that's because it's designed to be done fighting more then 1 mob at a time.  For the life of me I do not see the validity in your argument on how you or anyone can think tab target is fun when all evidence points toward the contrary.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Thebeasttt

I mean OP is a FFXIV fanboi so I find this whole thread shockingly ironic.

FFXIV combat is basically stolen from WoW with longer global cooldowns so don't know how much you can complain about Black Desert.....

FFXIV combat is by far the worst combat in any MMO I've ever played, including the free Korean P2W titles.  It is so slow, unskilled and boring.  It's almost like playing a turn based game which is beyond horrible for an MMO.

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    I'd say they share the worst combat with WoW (they copied it from them anyway).
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

dodge

spam attack

spam attack

dodge

I'm not a fan of Street Fighter MMO's but shockingly bad is a poor choice of words. I'm suddenly interested what terrible MMO's OP considers good.

It's fairly obvious but I think games like EQ1, WoW, and FFXIV are his preference.  Which is fine but to label it as anything but slow and boring is a stretch.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Alders

All i care about is how good group/party play is in PVE. I haven't seen any of that. It's all solo play rounding up lots of mobs and AoE'ing them down. 

As much as i love Korean MMO's for their art style and fantastic character creators, the actual PVE content is almost always terrible.

Is this going to be just another PVP zergfest with empty servers after a month? I'm tired of those.

I am not just saying this because i loved FFXI but good solid PVE went out the door 10 years ago.I have been on a search for that new game with the depth of combat i had in FFXI for years now and absolutely nothing is even remotely close to what i would want to play.

Obviously i have not played BD yet ,i have low expectations for it but i will check it out when time come.

I have very simple criteria,couldn't care less about pvp,soloing is a forget it totally there should be plenty of things to solo like farming and crafting and housing that takes up a solo gamer's life,but for combat it should be diversified for grouping.

I am very skeptical on this game having any depth in combat like i give it a gut feeling of about 5%.

Developers are usually just lazy cutting corners to save cost of development,that usually means simple stuff like one class only and sometimes a TREE design which i hate because it does not impress me that i can put a couple points each level into some area to move me from 25 dmg >28 dmg,no thanks on that lazy design.

We will see what this game offers,imo IF it had a really great class and combat system,we would have already heard about it,instead all that has been advertised is scenery.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by AIMonster

Combat is still better on a fundamental level than tab target MMOs like WoW.

PvE design needs to be better and so far in my opinion the only action combat MMO with good PvE design is Wildstar (raids and dungeons only), but that game has so many other problems that drags it down.  That's really where WoW and a few good copycats like Rift excel over action MMOs in terms of gameplay.  It does look like Black Desert will suffer from the same issue of not having great PvE design and a lot of it is probably due to having no trinity just like GW2 it's much more difficult to design compelling content when you don't have preset roles and everyone is self sufficient.

At least PvP in action MMOs is usually leagues better than anything found in tab target MMOs and I wouldn't doubt it's going to be the same case with Black Desert.

BTW  WS copied FFXIV,so it is not the ONLY and as far as i am concerned that type of red carpet combat is not even good.I want to combat realistic looking AI not an AI that randomly tosses around red carpets on the ground,it turned me off of FFXIV as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MacShwangusMacShwangus Member Posts: 32
    Combat looks fast and spastic, lots of jumping around. It should give the archeage fans a hot boneru.