Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMOs top the list for "alive, open world feel"?

GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

As the title asks, which MMOs are the best at creating a world that feels open and alive? There are far too many "lobby"-like MMOs where the world feels empty and dead, or other MMOs where the zones all feel disconnected.

Which do you find are the best at feeling like an actual world?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
-Narcissism: check.

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

None.

Play Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas, even with NPCs-onlys these games feel more "alive" than most MMO themeparks.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    EVE Online imo.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Originally posted by GPrestige

As the title asks, which MMOs are the best at creating a world that feels open and alive? There are far too many "lobby"-like MMOs where the world feels empty and dead, or other MMOs where the zones all feel disconnected.

Which do you find are the best at feeling like an actual world?

Archeage is the only one that comes close.... problem is the game is a cash shop and support nightmare with out of place grinds which takes away from how good the game could really be.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Only EVE gives me that feeling.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

MMO that felt like worlds to me:

-Vanguard....Massive world size, dungeons were open world, travel was just slow enough, hidden areas, deep caves, massive oceans.

-EQ....Especially early on during Kunark, when travel was extremely slow and the sheer size of Karana made it feel like a massive real world.

MMO that did not feel like worlds:

-GW, Tera, WoW, Vindictus

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Actually LOTRO feels very open world to me...   Its huge, and does not have questhubs beyound every other corner..

it even has open world dungeons, just ride trough the shire and see all those hobbits doing hobbity things..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Eve online is really the only one.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

If want pve,

Then Rift or GW2.

Pvp Eve or Arche age.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by DocBrody

None.

Play Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas, even with NPCs-onlys these games feel more "alive" than most MMO themeparks.

I have to agree with this. But i will say The Secret World comes close.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    EVE is one of the only MMORPGs left these days with an open virtual world, most of the rest are just "games" that operate under significant limitations

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by DocBrody

None.

Gonna have to agree your better off playing GTA 5, Just Cause 2 or Red Dead Redemption to add to that list.

As far as feeling open and alive nothing MMO even comes close to GTA 5. The comparison between something like GTA and SWTOR for open and alive leaves SWTOR feeling stagnant, dead, and souless. Imagine if Rockstar did an open world Star Wars game...

MMOs are pretty pathetic when it comes to open worlds that feel alive. imo

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    WoW is still the best here. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Originally posted by bcbully
    WoW is still the best here. 

lol

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

GW2

L2

EVE

SWG - title didn't say current :-)

AA

Aion

ESO

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

EVE Online.

Even though its in space (which should be empty by design), its still most "alive" game on the market.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

ESO

This is the first I've seen ESO mentioned. How open does the world feel?

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Only EVE gives me that feeling.

true, because it´s a sandbox MMO that means players are running the show, not some scripted themepark NPCs handing out quest cookies with an exclamation mark standing around.

Eve is run by players, if you remove them the game would be gone.

So in Eve the content are actually the players, and the tools are the complex mechanics given by the developers.

• golabgolab Member UncommonPosts: 21

Ryzom.

It's old, and it's weird, and pretty obscure, but I still think it's the closest to a living world feel I have ever come across.

It's also still a lot of fun and you can play quite a bit of it for free these days, certainly more than enough to decide if it's your kind of thing.

"As a foulness ya shall know them."

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Elder Scrolls Online

The only mmo where I feel like I am in a world. You have to be able to explore and find things. Exploring the world you can just randomly run across npc's being attacked by a group of mobs which you can choose to help or ignore. It the little things like this that add up to make a world feel like a world.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Eve Online, some systems are more alive than others, but i don't think any game has anything close to Jita, that and everything in the game is made by players themselves. Where other games try and fake it, Eve is real. image
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by GPrestige
    Originally posted by Octagon7711

ESO

This is the first I've seen ESO mentioned. How open does the world feel?

It feels more open than any other non sandbox mmo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEXOdcHGwo

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Vanguard

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

i played them all. AA is clearly the most open-feeling in years.

• IridescentJoeIridescentJoe Member Posts: 89

-Darkfall

-Eve

-and hoping Repopulation