Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: Early Enrollment to Begin Today & Exclusive Screens

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Backers and fans of Pathfinder Online will be pleased to hear that the Early Enrollment process will begin later today. Early Enrollment was delayed to allow more time for the client to pass the quality standards set by developers. In honor of today's big event, Goblinworks has sent along four exclusive new screens. Check them out below.

image    image

image     image

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Veeeerrrry exclusive ...weird date for an early release...wish them luck
  • ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    I really want to like this game but the whole...buy camps/buildings thing is a real turn off for me and the whole early in gets as much as a year to establish(going off EE starting today and launch being in 2016) themselves before release is going to keep me from playing most likely. And the whole . $500 to start a guild right now ...this could be a great game but they are looking for whales not players.  
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Hmm...I'm sorry but this game simply does look to ugly for a game that suppose to release 2015-2016 ?

Not that it does matter if the gameplay is GREAT, but a big Company like PAIZO and Goblinworks has to be able to produce something far greater than this..

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Game is very bad in it's current state. Hard to even call it a game compared to anything else out right now. 

The fact these devs think they can charge a sub fee for this unplayable alpha shows you that they will do everything to get $ and I expect this to be a credit card pay to win game. I was genuinely interested in this game until I heard about them charging a sub fee for this alpha, now they have lost a customer. I exclusively play sandbox games and I'm sure many other sandbox players won't support devs like this. Look at how archeage turned out and the reception its been getting lately. Bad developers with no business sense driving away what niche playerbase they have.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    I can't even understand how they even released those screenshots to publc, they will surely not sell much of this game if this is how it will end up looking..
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Better to offer a sub fee than offer it free, every hacker will have multiple accounts out there.  Just watch what happens with the repopulation!
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Better to offer a sub fee than offer it free, every hacker will have multiple accounts out there.  Just watch what happens with the repopulation!

I don't understand your logic at all. Alpha is for testing. They should want to test out their security against hackers if anything.

The only thing they are accomplishing by charging a sub fee for an unplayable alpha is driving away what niche customer base that would be interested in a game like this.

It rings a bell as pay to win to me to have characters parked gaining xp with the game in a state that is nearly unplayable. A few years down the road when it might be an actual game worth playing, these credit card warriors with parked alpha characters will have 3 years worth of skills in a skill system like eve online. This will give them an advantage in pvp over everyone at launch. Seems unethical and like these devs really don't care that they are driving away potential customers for good. I play mmo's competitively and I will not want to pvp with players with 3 years of skills over me that are godly at launch because they parked characters in alpha.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

You really don't like the repopulation do you, your posts are very toxic, may I suggest you move on to something else!

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Like the idea of the game, like the P&P game itself. Do NOT like the "Hey, come and play our alpha and make the game better for only $XX.XX!" And if you want to get a head start give us 5000 dollars and you can be a bar owner...But you better keep your rent up or your tavern could be burned down!"

You want people to test your game? Let them test it, not buy it early. Sure you'll get some that just "Want to play early" but it's easy to find those types and 'remove' them for people who want to test. I've been testing long enough, if I lived in the 'right' area I most likely could be doing it as a job....(Sigh) To dream :)

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by Sketch420

Game is very bad in it's current state. Hard to even call it a game compared to anything else out right now. 

The fact these devs think they can charge a sub fee for this unplayable alpha shows you that they will do everything to get $ and I expect this to be a credit card pay to win game. I was genuinely interested in this game until I heard about them charging a sub fee for this alpha, now they have lost a customer. I exclusively play sandbox games and I'm sure many other sandbox players won't support devs like this. Look at how archeage turned out and the reception its been getting lately. Bad developers with no business sense driving away what niche playerbase they have.

Hate to say it but this is truth.

Watching the streams on twitch and it doesn't look half bad actually.
  • rsdanceyrsdancey Member Posts: 106

Hi All!

Alpha ended yesterday!  We are now in Early Enrollment which is live operations with no further server resets. It's all persistent, emergent gameplay in a huge fantasy sandbox!

• wmmarcellinowmmarcellino Member UncommonPosts: 94

1. I'm in right now and playing.  So far, so good.  Client is stable, I'm training up some newb skills, killing goblins, and getting some basic gear.  It's fun :)

2. The mecanics for game management seem to be working ok so far.  I got my Destiny's Twin created and gaining XP no prob, and I was able to attach and get my new player/role packs to the character I chose.

3. I get that not everyone is up for paying to play in year 3 of a 5 year game development cycle.  A lot of folks would rather wait a couple years until the game is more polished.  I prefer to be actively influencing the game design, and the fact of the matter is that over the last two years, I (alog with others who are serious about this) have had a visible influence on the game design.  So that's cool :)

Do the RIGHT THING: come be a Paladin with us! http://ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com/

Originally posted by wmmarcellino

1. I'm in right now and playing.  So far, so good.  Client is stable, I'm training up some newb skills, killing goblins, and getting some basic gear.  It's fun :)

2. The mecanics for game management seem to be working ok so far.  I got my Destiny's Twin created and gaining XP no prob, and I was able to attach and get my new player/role packs to the character I chose.

3. I get that not everyone is up for paying to play in year 3 of a 5 year game development cycle.  A lot of folks would rather wait a couple years until the game is more polished.  I prefer to be actively influencing the game design, and the fact of the matter is that over the last two years, I (alog with others who are serious about this) have had a visible influence on the game design.  So that's cool :)

What is a destinys twin?

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Pretty obvious they're desparate for money, kickstarter doesn't work for mmos

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by emota
    Originally posted by wmmarcellino

What is a destinys twin?

Basically two characters share the same XP gain. Was promised to backers in Kickstarter during the certain time frame.

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148

After thinking longer about this I won't be trying this out until launch - if even then. I am not going to pay to be an alpha tester.

Alpha's are not fun and it's a job for the most part. If they want to pay me? Sure I'll do it. If they want me as a backer and investor? Fine, but they did not sell me on the idea, and even more importantly the execution of the idea.

Paying for Alpa access? That is laughable. Right up there with paying to work at Burger King or Walmart.

If they think they can get the right feedback from just any people who throw money at them? Wrong. When it comes to a new game. With an established community of years? It would probably work. They need to hire professionals.

• wmmarcellinowmmarcellino Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Yea.  I got in at the beginning of the Kickstarter, and so my second character trains for free.  The big deal is that I have one character now who can train up in and use the current skillset (mostly PVE, gathering, and crafting).  My second character is banking experience as I write--I won't spend exp on training for that toon until they have a full suit of PvP & settlement management skills in, and the Paladin class (right now they only have fighter, cleric, rogue, and wizard in).

Do the RIGHT THING: come be a Paladin with us! http://ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com/

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by thark

Hmm...I'm sorry but this game simply does look to ugly for a game that suppose to release 2015-2016 ?

Not that it does matter if the gameplay is GREAT, but a big Company like PAIZO and Goblinworks has to be able to produce something far greater than this..

The background and so on isn't really bad, for an indie MMO it looks fine.

The character models though could have been far better, that elf looks very far away from the beutiful illustrations that Paizo always have in their books. The female dwarf (or whatever it is) looks better but not good.

But as you say, it is a - point but it really comes down to the gameplay in the end. We seen many really good looking MMOs go down the drain during the years so looks is far from everything. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Troveaholic

After thinking longer about this I won't be trying this out until launch - if even then. I am not going to pay to be an alpha tester.

Alpha's are not fun and it's a job for the most part. If they want to pay me? Sure I'll do it. If they want me as a backer and investor? Fine, but they did not sell me on the idea, and even more importantly the execution of the idea.

Paying for Alpa access? That is laughable. Right up there with paying to work at Burger King or Walmart.

If they think they can get the right feedback from just any people who throw money at them? Wrong. When it comes to a new game. With an established community of years? It would probably work. They need to hire professionals.

I have done some alphas and betas in the past, quite a few actually and yes, it is more work then play. I never payed to do it even if I can volunteer the work part if I think the game have potential. I wont pay for this either.

On a note did I get into the GW2 beta because I bought the game but I would have preordered it even if it didn't have a beta since I played the first game for almost 5 years so I don't really count that.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Darkfall its you?

damm my eyes bleeding with enough photoshop

All screens remid me darkfall one and maybe as well two

• AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    They did it for the lulz...
  • ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88

Combat-Makes the one in AA feel fast and exciting.

Gameplay-None unless you consider running around killing dumb AI mobs so you can gain xp to see your trainer to level your skills gameplay. Things will probably improve when the PVP component kicks in.

Graphics-The less said the better.

Crafting-Does look interesting but that alone won't keep me interested for long.

PVP-Didn't play long enough to see anyone else in game so can't comment.

I'll wait at least a year after it launches before I check this out again. Even as a f2p it doesn't look particularly interesting and enticing. Sub? I very much doubt it.

As usual the above is imho and ymmv.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If the devs are happy to cater to fans of the Pathfinder IP only, then the game may succeed in that niche. Hopefully there's enough fans to fund it on an ongoing basis.
  • BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147

Lots of misinformation up there. The game runs rather smooth. Or should I really call it a game? Arguably it will not really be a game until the settlements are well advanced and players trickle in to stay. It will not be for everyone.

The game of it is all about players interacting, relying on one another as well as fighting rivals. Personally I'd say it is ideal for RP but really RP is going to be up to the players. That cannot be built by the developer. I mean, they're talking about tactical formation combat.

Formation combat turns out to be a really good idea where you have both AoE attacks, serious benefit/risk for your in-game reputation, and friendly fire is real. A formation is a good way to know the good guys are not in the line of fire for your fireball, and if you kill your buddies you will totally trash your reputation. Right? Only kill the bad guys and you're fine. That entails a way to know who the bad guys are for your particular circumstances. You don't just get to decide that opportune target is 'bad', it is more involved than that.

PFO is designed to be a space where RP can develop if the players want it. It is where PvP is not just possible, but likely, even inevitable. Yet there are real benefits to only PvPing when it is meaningful. Ganking newbs is going to turn out quite rare (in the long run), because you stand to lose too much reputation for killing characters without certain strictures in place (such as a declaration of war between settlements of player-kingdoms. You have to have reputation high enough to train. I have heard that training cost may vary eventually for borderline reputation holders, but that may only be hearsay.

The 'River Kingdoms' are wild and full of bandits, both player-run and AI. It is true the AI isn't yet very advanced but it is serviceable until they get everything with a higher priority in and can spend some time with it. Artificial Intelligence isn't something you can slap together in an afternoon, right?

Granted, those used to MMOs like LotRO or WoW or even GW2 will not find much 'game' to PFO. It is a sandbox. It is an environment framed with rules and it seems to me to work pretty well.

Another significant difference between this game and others is that kinda-sorta like Eve, experience is gained over time. You can play without paying and rack up achievements (needed to advance skills and abilities) and gather coin but to train to a more advanced set of skills you have to have experience. Accumulating that experience is what we have to pay Goblinworks (GW) for. The experience that accrues over time is what you pay for training. A first-level wizard skill or ability or spell might only cost 81 experience, which is maybe an hour? Second level, though is substantially more ( a couple of hundred exp points).

There is a wealth of details I'm glossing over, not even talking about. But the crafting game is shaping up to be pretty deep. The economics game looks like it should prove quite interesting as well. And the struggles of player organization are going to be the crux of the whole thing in my view.

So is it perfect? Certainly not. But it is already pretty old-school good and it still has two or three years of development ahead before they even give us dungeon building tools! THAT is where I am banking on the game really taking off.

So... the haters gonna hate. Take it for what it is. But keep an eye on this one. I think it may surprise.

To dream, perhaps to be.