Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alone and Confused

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

I just bought the game yesterday , I tried to post on there forums but its says I need a code to subscribe that was supposed to be emailed to me.

I am enjoying the game thus far but have little idea what im doing, for example I am almost level 5 but still using my basic starting attack.

I was scared to put any skillpoints into anything as a sorceror until I know im not gimping my character.

I also want to join a pvp guild.

I feel like im half locked out, without forums access I can't even talk to the community.

Comments

• LycanthatLycanthat Member UncommonPosts: 3

If I were you I'd start here:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Don't be afraid to spend skill points to learn new skills. There are more than enough skills points in the game. YOu can also respec and get the skill points back if you decide you don't need a skill later on. But I think you can learn pretty much every single skill in the game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    lol according to your history you have played most MMORPG :) so same rules apply, find a good group that you think you can get on with, link above is a great start.  RE Skills, don't worry about picking the meta build etc etc, simply spend skills as you fancy - lot more fun.  It helps to know ultimately you will have hundreds od skill points.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by rubydragon5

I was scared to put any skillpoints into anything as a sorceror until I know im not gimping my character.

Ok. No one has answered that part of your post so here is low-level Sorcerer 101

First...you want to spend those skill points ASAP because your skill lines level faster once you put those skills on your bar (the more of a specfic line you have on the bar, the faster that line levels - more about this later on.)

Your basic bread and butter low-level sorc spells are Crystal Shard from Dark Magic and Mage's Fury from Storm calling.

You'd normally open with Crystal Shard because it has a cast time and knocks down the mob, and then hit them with Mage's Fury and your weapon attacks until the second damage component of Mage's Fury kicks in when the mob is @ 20% health or below... that 2nd part will kill 99% of the mobs

The way it works is when you cast Mage's Fury it starts a timer and if the mob's health hits 20% within 4 seconds the second part activates and kills them.

Both of those really come into their own when you morph them... and there really is one great option for each to morph into and one very wrong option :)

You want to morph Mage's Fury > Endless Fury which will return some Magicka to you if the 2nd damage part kills the mob. The return is so good and can be enhanced with passives to the point that it actually gives you a net positive Magicka gain later on.

Crystal Shards you want to morph into Crystal Fragments because when you do it has a 50% chance to become an instant-cast spell @ 1/2 magicka cost any time you use any other ability that costs magicka... then the bonus to it stays active for about 6 seconds until you have to use it.

The third ability you should get and never (ever, under any circumstances, and I'm not kidding) use is the Unstable Familiar pet under Daedric Summoning. You want it on your bar because you want that skill line to level up since it does have other things you'll want to have later on. But using a pet as a sorcerer comes at a large cost of a 10% reduction to your Magicka pool that it's not even close to being worth it for the pathetic damage the pet does - when it doesn't glitch and just stand there that is. You want that magicka to power actually useful things. A sorcerer with a pet is a dead giveaway for a new player that doesn't have the hang of the class yet.

The 4th ability should be Lightning Form from the Storm Calling line. There are two reasons for this: 1. this will help you level Storm Calling faster and you want to get to the ultimate ability in that line, Overload (more below,) faster and you need to get the skill line to 12 before you can... and 2., It is a very decent shield that buffs both your armor and spell resistance and damages anything that comes near you. You'll need this to make good use of Overload once you get it...see below.

The 5th skill should be a weapon skill and I strongly recommend you use a staff, and specifically a fire staff. Some destruction staff skills act differently depending on which type of staff it is and the one you want, which is a life saver (and allows you to solo some bosses other players can't,) is the first skill, Destructive Touch which, with a fire staff, damages and knocks back a single mob. You also want to morph that one to Destructive Clench just as soon as you can because that will cause a stun after the knockback.

Once you get Strorm Calling to 12, you should get Overload as your top priority. This skill changes your weapon into lightning that comes out of your fingertips. The damage is based of your weapon damage + a nice extra boost. Unlike all other Ultimate abilities in the game, it doesn't just last a few seconds: once you activate it, it'll remain active for just as long as you have ultimate resource left and that resource only gets reduced when you use Overload plus you can use your other skills while it's active... and many of those other skills add more ultimate resource to the pool... I've done whole dungeons from beginning to end with it active.

But like the say in late night TV... "But wait! There's more!"

The real reason you want Overload is because Sorcerers have very little AOE at the start and you will run into many situations in those levels where you have to fight groups of mobs. A general rule in ESO is that single normal mobs are trivially easy but 3 or more of those can easily kill you - you have been warned. Overload ALSO turns your heavy weapon attack into a cone AOE that has the side benefit of making you look like a bad-ass Sith Lord with a constant stream of lightning coming from your fingers.

It does have a range that is shorter than your other abilities and for that reason the routine is that you cast your Lightning Form Shield, run up to the pack you want to kill and just hold down the mouse button till they're all dead in a couple of seconds... you might have to stop for a second and refresh your shield when fighting mobs that refuse to die properly, but even that is rare.

Your armor... all light armor to help with magicka and regeneration. Much later on you might want to add a couple of heavy pieces to level up and grab the heavy armor active shield, but that's Sorceror 201 or maybe even 301.

Let me know if you have any questions or if some of this doesn't make sense.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Just want to say welcome to Elder Scrolls Online!

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Iselin,

Do you have a link to your build? 

I have only played my DK and a NB and just started a Sorc today. I am using your advice and if you have a link to your build I would like to take a look at it. Thx

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Originally posted by Thornrage

Iselin,

Do you have a link to your build? 

I have only played my DK and a NB and just started a Sorc today. I am using your advice and if you have a link to your build I would like to take a look at it. Thx

Yeah but it's very old and was put together to solo quest in the VR levels 8 months ago when VR levels were much much harder than today. Since it's a VR level build, it uses skills and passives that will take you many levels to get, so keep that in mind. It also uses 2 destruction staves.

It doesn't use Overload for AOE since by the time you get to those levels you have many other AOE options. It uses a fire staff AOE and one from the Mage's guild for AOE damage. I'll also copy / paste what I wrote back then when I first made the guide at a fan forum.

The build

(and the 8-month old write up)

I use a single target bar relying primarily on the same two single target spells I’ve been using since level 3. Endless Fury and Crystal Fragments. Hard to beat that combo. The other key components of the single target bar are Destructive Clench which, when used with a Fire staff knocks back and stuns those pesky bosses, and Dark deal.

Dark deal is not as easy on the stamina as dark conversion is but the armor and spell resistance increase (says 4000 for both…not sure if this is right) are very handy if you need to use it in the middle of a fight when you’re still being attacked. (This is outdated - They nerfed Dark Deal and the only advantage now is that you can move while channeling)

Inner Light for the extra crit rounds out the bar and also appears in my AOE bar where it’s even more useful.

My AOE bar relies on good damage with Elemental Ring. Critical Surge for self heals and Immovable for extra mitigation and CC immunity when you have 6 things beating on you.

Immovable might seem like an odd choice to some since we have so many other good damage mitigation abilities (such as Boundless Storm) but I chose this one specifically for the CC immunity it grants. Basically this allows me to stand in the middle of a group of mobs and just constantly spam Elemental Ring without needing to worry about blocking anything… it’s actually, IMHO, the key t the build.

Despite having Immovable slotted (which you’ll notice I never bothered to morph) I use 7 pieces of light armor. I slotted a few pieces of heavy early in leveling just to unlock it.

The other skill on my bar is one I actually only picked up a couple of days ago after watching a fellow Sorcerer use it. Volcanic Rune is the great little morph from the Mages Guild’s otherwise unassuming and wimpy Fire Rune. What it does is it launches a group of mobs up in the air in a gout of white fire damaging them and then stunning them (3.9 seconds stun currently for me.) On top of that, its magicka cost (with the mage’s guild’s passives) is actually less than Clench.(LOL... not many were using it at that time but it soon became THE required ability that it seemed absolutely everyone, sorcerer or not, used especially in PVP)

Using it also lets me take advantage of a passive that gives me 2% magika regen and max magika per mage’s guils skill slotted… with my build that is 4% which allows me also to free-up some enchants for other things. And on top of that, opening with it means my spell power is increased (currently by 10%…soon by 20% as I am now 9.5 Mage’s Guild) for the next attack within 8 seconds.

Rounding all this out is the ultimate, Greater Storm Atronach which I use in both bars. It, plus Destructive Clench with a fire staff from my single target bar allow me to solo some world boses… those who are not immune to CC obviously (The Greater Storm Atronach was also nerfed a bit in that it no longer holds aggro like it used to - I would still use it though.)

I have been using this to solo even in public dungeons where the mob packs are 5 or 6 without any problem.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Thx

Yeah I have a Vet 4 and he can solo vet 11 in Craglorn. Not just one but a mob at times. Kinda weird.

Thanks for the build and the write up. 

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

ty for all the info 

what happens if i may of already put in the summoning skill?

any way to reset my points?

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

You will have more than enough skill points later so EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT, you can always reset your skill points.

The only problem you will have is if you try to be a heavy crafter and fighter on the same character.  Make an alt for crafting and send him EVERYTHING to disassemble.  That's the best way to level crafting.  Spending endless hours harvesting and crafting was a waste of time for me,  was better to just feed my crafter.  You will have to level him too since you need to keep putting points in crafting so when you disassemble stuff you can get all the mats back for the appropriate level of gear your breaking down.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

ty for all the info 

Don't worry about resetting skill points early on its a waste of time and money, just keep leveling and getting more points until you start getting an idea of what works and what doesn't.  Then later on reset them.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    By time you get to a high level you will have more points than you know what to deal with. Easily enough for your class skills, armor skills, tradeskills, and probably points in at least two weapon types. Just collect all the skyshards in each zone, do all the dungeons, and all the story quests.

ty for all the info 

Yeah, like the others say, don't worry about it and just add skills as they come along. I made many mistakes myself when I started- I also tried to make summoned pets work at first so I come by my opinions about them honestly :)

But if you do want to re-spec early, there is a shrine where you can do it in the main city of the second full zone (level 16+ area) for all alliances. Just ask in chat for anyone who is going there to group with you. Once grouped, you can travel to them once they're there.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Iselin

ty for all the info 

Yeah, like the others say, don't worry about it and just add skills as they come along. I made many mistakes myself when I started- I also tried to make summoned pets work at first so I come by my opinions about them honestly :)

But if you do want to re-spec early, there is a shrine where you can do it in the main city of the second full zone (level 16+ area) for all alliances. Just ask in chat for anyone who is going there to group with you. Once grouped, you can travel to them once they're there.

Also, if you can live with the way you spent your points so far and don't wish to pay the gold costs to respec,  everyone will be having their skill points reset when Update 6 is released. 

ZOS hasn't set a date for the release of Update 6, but it will probably be sometime in February.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

ty for all the info 

Umm so you start a thread and ask some questions then don't read it?  This was answered by the first and second response.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • seanvwolfseanvwolf Member Posts: 18

No skill point is a waste at the beginning, atleast not if it's an active skill.

If you spend your skill points on passives you can lock yourself out pretty easily as the passives relate directly to the active skills you have.

The previous Sorc 101 guide is decent if you want to build a "standard" sorcerer build.

I have a v14 dual-wield stamina sorc.  He specializes as a single target dps with hp sustain.  You can have pets out and do better than just fine, if you want to depend more on your stamina based weapon skills, which is what I did.  I started with a 2 handed maul, medium armor and pets out and was a wrecking ball.  Once I unlocked Critical Surge, I changed my build to take advantage of crit chances heal effect, making my Effective Hit Points sky rocket.  I have about 3000 hps and heal between 600-800 hps a second.  But you shouldn't worry too much about what skills you invest in.  You'll have plenty of skill points to experiment with different builds and different playstyles to find one that is not only survivable to solo and group with, but a blast to play (the beauty of the game).

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

ty for the help,  justa  update, I got my forums access and found a decent guild.

Even though it was a confusing start, im having a lot of fun in the game.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

ty for the help,  justa  update, I got my forums access and found a decent guild.

Even though it was a confusing start, im having a lot of fun in the game.

Good to see you are having fun. This guy has some good ESO videos that are worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5bq6bLkC8&index=5&list=PLgc0uCpa8HTyx6cVZ1_LuKkrl26NgZ1JV

Originally posted by seanvwolf

No skill point is a waste at the beginning, atleast not if it's an active skill.

If you spend your skill points on passives you can lock yourself out pretty easily as the passives relate directly to the active skills you have.

The previous Sorc 101 guide is decent if you want to build a "standard" sorcerer build.

I have a v14 dual-wield stamina sorc.  He specializes as a single target dps with hp sustain.  You can have pets out and do better than just fine, if you want to depend more on your stamina based weapon skills, which is what I did.  I started with a 2 handed maul, medium armor and pets out and was a wrecking ball.  Once I unlocked Critical Surge, I changed my build to take advantage of crit chances heal effect, making my Effective Hit Points sky rocket.  I have about 3000 hps and heal between 600-800 hps a second.  But you shouldn't worry too much about what skills you invest in.  You'll have plenty of skill points to experiment with different builds and different playstyles to find one that is not only survivable to solo and group with, but a blast to play (the beauty of the game).

He's got to learn to walk before he can run :) 

I've also done a sorcerer tank (got that idea from Atropos @ the Tamriel Foundry - "Reaver" build) and they're a lot of fun. There are a lot of odd builds you can make that work surprisingly well - and their viability changes with tweaks and nerfs each patch... and will change big time with all the skill changes coming in 1.6.

I have 4 VR characters - one of each class and I use and delete the other 4 slots on a regular basis experimenting. That's what I like about this game the most,

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    As to forums.  You may not be able to post on ESO forums right away but you can read and do searches.  Also you can use Reddit ESO forums to ask questions, and Steam ESO forums are open for reading. As well as other ESO third party support forums.  A Google search should turn them up.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Sound advice^^  An alternate approach where you are not concerned with being optimised is don't use any guides until you at least hit max level, enjoy the leveling and applying skill points wherever you fancy, experimenting where you go and enjoy.  this cuts to the very essence of early MMO play - exploration and discovery :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D