Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Role play but not really.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

How did it make you feel when walking around warcraft as a human and watching orcs and humans hanging out and having fun together?  I encountered this in Rift they would have two large groups of enemies all sitting around a camp fire acting like a bunch of friends.  Or in SWTOR the dark and light jedi helping each other complete quests.  I think the problem is everyone wants the be the exception.  I'm the good vampire who doesn't kill innocents, or the good Orc who doesn't eat humans for breakfast.  Why does the community insist on ignoring the lore of the game they are playing and just running around talking about ipods and the latest tv show?  We should be trying to be a part of a game in which you taunt and kill your enemies or help save your friends.  So sad and too bad the gaming community thinks roleplaying is crap.  Lets face it there's such a small group of actual role players in any game.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    The lore isn't self-consistent or realistic.  WoW has you doing some really horrifying things now and then - like as a blood elf, one of the level 10 or so quests is/was to slaughter addicts of your own race, just because they are addicts and making your city slummy by existing. o.O  Me, if I was a human or an elf in a world like that I'd think orcs and gnolls and taurens are people too and I'd be more interested in sleeping with them than killing them. 
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

Yeah. MMOs are not really suitable for Role-Playing. They started out looking like something that could evolve in that direction, but along came WoW and killed all that.

On top of that the typical RP fan enjoys the very thing you mentioned to a high degree, namely anti-heroes. Everyone likes the Drizzt, Wolverine, or Elric because they seem to have their cake and eat it too. While I find those guys annoying, even worse are the Bad Guy wanna bes. If you run around Role-Playing with skulls on your shoulders or a red lightsaber then you are either a milquetoast, or a closet anti-social who lacks audacity. I'll make that generalization because it has held up through my experiences. Show me a chronic make-believe misanthrope, and its always some dude with mommy issues.

The exception are the non-role players: they just think it looks cool and scoff at RP anyway.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    If you actually follow the story at this point Horde and Alliance even being at war is really forced so there can be PvP. The two factions have worked together so much and faced so many bigger threats time and time again. Yet we are constantly shoehorned into fighting each other because there needs to be this endless PvP. In WoD it's even more apparent. Here we are in the past in an alternate timeline on another planet fighting a common enemy. But let's fight each other too for some reason. Why not? Some of our prominent heroes will be helping each other in major events, but we still hate each other.

I think that's why faction PvP always felt kinda lame to me. Wars eventually end...

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    I think RPers are a special kind of person. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. I used to play D&D and other tabletops and it's just not something you can do with the majority of people.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Like a good Dark Elf in Qeynos which was totally possible even though you would get ignored by RPers.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by filmoret

How did it make you feel when walking around warcraft as a human and watching orcs and humans hanging out and having fun together?  I encountered this in Rift they would have two large groups of enemies all sitting around a camp fire acting like a bunch of friends.  Or in SWTOR the dark and light jedi helping each other complete quests.  I think the problem is everyone wants the be the exception.  I'm the good vampire who doesn't kill innocents, or the good Orc who doesn't eat humans for breakfast.  Why does the community insist on ignoring the lore of the game they are playing and just running around talking about ipods and the latest tv show?  We should be trying to be a part of a game in which you taunt and kill your enemies or help save your friends.  So sad and too bad the gaming community thinks roleplaying is crap.  Lets face it there's such a small group of actual role players in any game.

Because that is more fun to them?

If i want to talk about ipod when playing WoW with a friend, i don't see why i should not .. just because I am playing a fantasy game.

It is just entertainment. And yes, i think RPing is crap. I enjoy my games whatever way I want, and I don't see a reason not to.