Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Korra, Dorian & Bond - Moving Away from Center Stage

2»

Comments

• NemerianNemerian Member Posts: 10

Oh c'mon, not this stuff again.

I'm tired of this recent obsession with trying to find the exact number of people to represent US demographics, and the cringeworthy, ham-fisted attempts at implementing it.

Figure it out, and then add it to games. For now everything just seems forced, especially for us non-americans. "Statements" can take a vacation. Diversity can be portrayed naturally.

p.s. Dorian "represents the first time a singularly gay male has been included" in a bioware game?

Mass effect 3 had those.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Nemerian

I'm tired of this recent obsession with trying to find the exact number of people to represent US demographics, and the cringeworthy, ham-fisted attempts at implementing it.

Figure it out, and then add it to games. For now everything just seems forced, especially for us non-americans. "Statements" can take a vacation. Diversity can be portrayed naturally.

p.s. Dorian "represents the first time a singularly gay male has been included" in a bioware game?

Mass effect 3 had those.

None of Bioware's games up to this point has had a male homosexual in it. There have been bisexual males which is not the same thing. This sort of thinking that bisexuality equates with homosexuality is one of the reasons that that particular community is so grossly underrepresented in any media, particularly male bisexuals. Two females together is 'hawt' and an acceptable thing as long as they come home to a heterosexual male in the end. Two males together is not considered anything approaching acceptable by society, even if both later (or earlier) have relationships with women.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SoulsemmerSoulsemmer Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Cortez from ME3 would like to have a word with you.
  • NemerianNemerian Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Nemerian

Mass effect 3 had those.

None of Bioware's games up to this point has had a male homosexual in it. There have been bisexual males which is not the same thing. This sort of thinking that bisexuality equates with homosexuality is one of the reasons that that particular community is so grossly underrepresented in any media, particularly male bisexuals. Two females together is 'hawt' and an acceptable thing as long as they come home to a heterosexual male in the end. Two males together is not considered anything approaching acceptable by society, even if both later (or earlier) have relationships with women.

Ah, please.

Get off your high horse about the community and the hipocrisy of society, and google steve cortez.

Dorian first gay male character, my ass.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The problem I often have with gay characters in video games is how they tend to shove their sexuality in your face. The above-mentioned Cortez is a good example of that. His dead boyfriend is the first (and almost only, unless you romance him) thing he talks about.

Dorian is a much better character in that regard. He doesn't have "gay" as his only trait. Still, DAI manages to shove its acceptance in your face despite that via the trans member of Iron Bull's troops. Being trans seems to be his only function in addition to contradicting everything we've come to know about Quinari.

It's like token black characters. IMO including a token black guy is much more offensive than not including any black people. Yes, I'm looking at you, Hobbit.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Originally posted by Scalpless

The problem I often have with gay characters in video games is how they tend to shove their sexuality in your face. The above-mentioned Cortez is a good example of that. His dead boyfriend is the first (and almost only, unless you romance him) thing he talks about.

Dorian is a much better character in that regard. He doesn't have "gay" as his only trait. Still, DAI manages to shove its acceptance in your face despite that via the trans member of Iron Bull's troops. Being trans seems to be his only function in addition to contradicting everything we've come to know about Quinari.

It's like token black characters. IMO including a token black guy is much more offensive than not including any black people. Yes, I'm looking at you, Hobbit.

Well there is a general problem with the quality of writing in games, it's not just gay characters=)  Dorian being better written than Cortez is true and also not surprising. Cortez was created earlier, Dorian shows improvement. In other words Bioware is learning to write better characters, slowly but they are.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Soulsemmer

I know all about Steve Cortez. He was not romanceable, hence the difference.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I think there is a realization that heroes have their weaknesses like everyone else.  Look at the consternation over history textbooks portraying some of the heroes of the past in less than heroic form.  I think it is amazing that despite their less than perfect selves they achieved what they did.  

As a society we seems to focus on flaws rather than positive qualities lately, I hope this is a temporary trend, but that seems a unlikely chance with the focus of the media on such.  

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Soulsemmer

I know all about Steve Cortez. He was not romanceable, hence the difference.

No, he is a romance option.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Steve_Cortez

• KeatlorienKeatlorien Member Posts: 37

"Multiculturalism", "Diversity", "Pluralism" are all really just political slogans for the race and gender ideologues. They seek to force ubiquitous conformity onto American society. Over time, this will lead to homogenization of thought, not tolerance.

These ideologues want to force their belief system into EVERY aspect of American society because they believe doing so will make it easier for them to manipulate the pubic as a whole. Instead of having to tailor arguments to distinct groups, they want to be able to dictate to a universal audience. It has gotten so bad we can't even play games without getting a pure dose of their indoctrination. 

A true commitment to diversity should respect different social groups and belief systems; it shouldn't force everyone to conform to a single social doctrine. Unfortunately, I doubt we will see any true tolerance anytime soon. The politicians are chemically addicted to identity politics. If they went more than a day without injecting race or gender into the national discourse, they would probably all go into convulsions and have to be hospitalized for withdrawal en masse.