Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Kick-starter and Steam Early Access

ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

So, I see that the game has something similar to a kickstarter fund with Gold, Plat and Plat+ packages.  The Gold purchase states that you get:

Gold and Silver membership

1 Repop token

1 day head start

Name reservation and

early access

So... not sure what all these things are, but... does buying that gold plan get you the same early access that is being sold on Steam currently?  

Also, does buying either the Gold plan or the Early Access on Steam grant you access to the game when it comes out, or does the customer have to make another purchase of the game when it goes live? 

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Well the plan is to release as an F2P title.  

As to the specifics of the monetization plan , I will leave that to others here with more knowledge of it.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Well the plan is to release as an F2P title.  

As to the specifics of the monetization plan , I will leave that to others here with more knowledge of it.

So, a side question for your Boneserino, does F2P mean that you don't have to by the box to play?  I know it means that there is no sub fee.  I guess, my question is, is there a name difference between an MMO game that you can download for free and play for free and a game that you have to purchase the "box" for, but doesn't have a sub fee? 

Sorry, may be a dumb question, but I don't know all that much about MMO payment models, as is obvious from my, still open, first question? 

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Well generally when you have to pay for the game upfront that is considered B2P or buy to play.   The guild wars games are good examples of that.  You bought the box and the game was free to play, only paying for expansions.

So as far as I know you won't have to pay upfront in order to play Repop when it releases.   It should be a F2P game with a cash shop, that Devs have gone on record saying will not be pay to win. 

Of course it still remains to be seen how that works out.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Well generally when you have to pay for the game upfront that is considered B2P or buy to play.   The guild wars games are good examples of that.  You bought the box and the game was free to play, only paying for expansions.

So as far as I know you won't have to pay upfront in order to play Repop when it releases.   It should be a F2P game with a cash shop, that Devs have gone on record saying will not be pay to win. 

I'm extremely sceptical about the viability of any F2P MMO that intends to exist purely on the revenue from selling optional "cosmetic items" only. That's just totally unrealistic.

I know the spokesman for Repop claims that they're all happy as long as the income simply covers their monthly expenses, but we have no idea of how much caviar they get through every month ! image

I'm very interested in this game, and getting closer and closer to giving them money as things are becoming clearer. But past experience has taught me that most F2P monetizations are based on varying degrees of deception. I'm simply trying to read between the lines of the marketing-speak to try and guess how bad (or good) things may be in Repop after launch...

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by ompgaming

So, I see that the game has something similar to a kickstarter fund with Gold, Plat and Plat+ packages.  The Gold purchase states that you get:

Gold and Silver membership

1 Repop token

1 day head start

Name reservation and

early access

So... not sure what all these things are, but... does buying that gold plan get you the same early access that is being sold on Steam currently?  

Also, does buying either the Gold plan or the Early Access on Steam grant you access to the game when it comes out, or does the customer have to make another purchase of the game when it goes live? 

Yes it gets you the same early access if you buy on steam or directly

Repop token - a thank you currency that will get you access to cosmetic items

headstart - how many days access ahead of the full launch you get (where you character wont be wiped)

Name reservation - you can reserve a playername you want now so no one can take it

Early access - Access to alpha and beta phases

The game is f2p so no one will have to spend any money to download and play the game at launch

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'm extremely sceptical about the viability of any F2P MMO that intends to exist purely on the revenue from selling optional "cosmetic items" only. That's just totally unrealistic.

It can be done, if the game is good. Path of Exile does it (ok, it is not a "pure" MMORPG and it also sells stash space) and that game seems to do fine. I see people running around with lots of decorations and effects, and I've also bought some of those, and a lot of stash space, even if i don't need it anymore. I'm happy to spend there because i love that game, rather than to spend on a game which forces me to.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

I know the spokesman for Repop claims that they're all happy as long as the income simply covers their monthly expenses, but we have no idea of how much caviar they get through every month ! image

I'm very interested in this game, and getting closer and closer to giving them money as things are becoming clearer. But past experience has taught me that most F2P monetizations are based on varying degrees of deception. I'm simply trying to read between the lines of the marketing-speak to try and guess how bad (or good) things may be in Repop after launch...

Calling this game F2P is really a misnomer IMO. Its more of a F2P extended trial with a huge incentive to B2P the game. That incentive is

Silver Membership

• Additional Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots.
    • Access to City Council and Nation Leadership options.

Gold Membership

• More Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots.
    • Ability become a city mayor and run a player city.

Platinum Membership

• Ability to create a new nation.
    As you can see, if you want to be a trader or crafter at all you are highly encouraged to buy the game at least at the silver membership level. If you want to particapate in the politics world at all and be a leader their in you need at least Gold membership. And EVERY NATION needs at least one person who bought into Platinum membership. 

While you can easily play the game as F2P, you'll be nothing more than a foot solider. Most people I know play sandbox games to try and be more than just that. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher

Calling this game F2P is really a misnomer IMO. Its more of a F2P extended trial with a huge incentive to B2P the game. That incentive is

Silver Membership

• Additional Character, Inventory, Bank, Shared Bank, Mission, and Auction Slots.

Gold Membership

Platinum Membership

As you can see, if you want to be a trader or crafter at all you are highly encouraged to buy the game at least at the silver membership level. If you want to particapate in the politics world at all and be a leader their in you need at least Gold membership. And EVERY NATION needs at least one person who bought into Platinum membership. 

While you can easily play the game as F2P, you'll be nothing more than a foot solider. Most people I know play sandbox games to try and be more than just that. 

That pretty much describes every F2P game , Xipher.

You can choose to play the basic game free , or pay for the ugrades and enjoy an easier time of it.  I am not quite sure all of those things constitute a "huge incentive to buy" however.    Certainly someone interested enough to want a nation  or some leadership role will spend some money.    There will be those that just choose the foot soldier path though.   Can't have thousands of thousands of leaders running around.  And probably a few that find ways to work around these things without spending too much cash.

All in all pretty much standard F2P fare if you ask me.   As with all Free to Try games, the choice to pay is yours.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by xpiher

Silver Membership

Gold Membership

Platinum Membership

That pretty much describes every F2P game , Xipher.

You can choose to play the basic game free , or pay for the ugrades and enjoy an easier time of it.  I am not quite sure all of those things constitute a "huge incentive to buy" however.    Certainly someone interested enough to want a nation  or some leadership role will spend some money.    There will be those that just choose the foot soldier path though.   Can't have thousands of thousands of leaders running around.  And probably a few that find ways to work around these things without spending too much cash.

All in all pretty much standard F2P fare if you ask me.   As with all Free to Try games, the choice to pay is yours.

Most F2P games content lock and offer sub. This game will just make it difficult to play without having multiple account unless you buy. I wouldn't say its standard, since F2P pretty much every F2P game out there tries to get still get sub money. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher