Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I keep getting mails from StarVault so I wanna ask

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
Is it worth going back to MO, what have changed the good and the bad?

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Ok the game has soo much content and one of the best gathering and crafting systems I have ever seen.  If you go free to play there is a lot of fun stuff to do like tame horses and get in small skirmishes.  Even craft your own weapons.  You won't be able to do everything with 1 character.  You will normally have 1 crafting character, 1 killing character, 1 tamer, or gatherer.  Its been a while I don't remember specifics.  It is possible just to play 1 character and get money but you will rely heavily on buying items.  There is no map and the bank in each town is different.  It is a lot more realistic.  You put something in the bank it is in that town only.  If you get serious then you need to pay the monthly sub.  You can build a house and castle and so forth.  You can also build a town and put npc's in it to sell and buy stuff.

Ok the bad is this is a full loot open world game.  So when you are out trying to build a house it is likely that someone will come along and kill you for loll's and take everything of value and just trash the rest.  If you murder more then 4 people then your name turns red and you will only be allowed in a few towns because the guards will attack you on sight.  If you die with a red name then your stats are debuffed and will not go back to normal unless you spend a few hours trying to get them back.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    The short answer is: the game is no different when you left, if you are a former player. If you EVER played MO, and most of us are sorry that we ever did, they will keep mailing you FOREVER, to come back. Electrons are cheap and SV loses more money every quarter, so don't expect the mails to stop.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    The short answer is: the game is no different when you left, if you are a former player. If you EVER played MO, and most of us are sorry that we ever did, they will keep mailing you FOREVER, to come back. Electrons are cheap and SV loses more money every quarter, so don't expect the mails to stop.

I get mail from every single MMO gaming company I've played a game from. Unless I choose not to get it. This isn't something unique that SV is doing in some elaborate scheme to lure peeps back. Things are happening with the game with the upcoming new continent and steam release, so ofc they wanna keep any1 that played the game before up to date with what is happening with the game. Not doing that would be idiotic.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I wondered the same thing as I've checked my mail over the last month or so.  I took the time to go watch some of the newer videos and check out what they've updated and fixed.  I was not impressed.  The game still looks pointless beyond random ganking and fighting for land ownership.  Beyond crafting to do the aforementioned, there is literally no content and no meaningful progression.

Originally posted by Dullahan
    I wondered the same thing as I've checked my mail over the last month or so.  I took the time to go watch some of the newer videos and check out what they've updated and fixed.  I was not impressed.  The game still looks pointless beyond random ganking and fighting for land ownership.  Beyond crafting to do the aforementioned, there is literally no content and no meaningful progression.

Building and owning your own castle or house and even building a town for people to live in is pointless and no content?  Show me a game with more content then this game.  Its a sandbox so you aren't going to get the dungeon group queue.  It is very much a guild pvp game though.  So you don't like guild pvp games doesn't mean you gotta crap all over this because it isn't pve softcore.  There is soo much progression it takes more then one character to outfit yourself.  If you never reached the place where you got 2 or 3 sets of gear in your bank then you haven't played this game correctly.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    Is it worth going back to MO, what have changed the good and the bad?

it depends when was the last time you played.

there have been improvements in the last couple of years, and they have added a lot of structures (keeps/walls/towers/gates/mines/farms/etc) that players can build. you even get your own npc guards and lictors to defend your town. walls can now be built almost anywhere....and yea, people do just that. all in all, if you like building your own village/strong hold you have a lot more freedom than before.

Pve is pretty much exactly like it used to be. there are a couple of different mobs like demons and centaurs...but they are all just as stupid as wisents. in short, pve is still pretty much just a time sink for resources, and making gold. 

the point of this game is pvp. 

PvP is much like it was, heavely in favor of large groups. everyone runs around in groups of 10 or more. Mounted combat is currently the fotm. otherwise everyone runs around in heavy steel armor and large weapons. if you live close to the server (europe), and have reasonable ping, combat can be fun. otherwise prediction is horrible, and you are basically permanently handicapped, as blocking will be impossible.  

having said all that, the game still has a lot of bugs. for example lately mounted archery has been completely broken, to the point that nobody even uses it, weapons still go invisible in your inventory over node lines, and many other bugs. also the GMs are too underpaid & involved with the community to be totally impartial and consistently professional. many long time players/guilds get special treatment behind the curtain. 

imo it's a very unique mmo, and it can be fun if you love hard core pvp, but still not worth monthly subscription. 

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by filmoret

Ok the bad is this is a full loot open world game.  

We stop reading as soon as you say that coz contrary to you, we all think that is the best part for an mmorpg.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Building and owning your own castle or house and even building a town for people to live in is pointless and no content?  Show me a game with more content then this game.  Its a sandbox so you aren't going to get the dungeon group queue.  It is very much a guild pvp game though.  So you don't like guild pvp games doesn't mean you gotta crap all over this because it isn't pve softcore.  There is soo much progression it takes more then one character to outfit yourself.  If you never reached the place where you got 2 or 3 sets of gear in your bank then you haven't played this game correctly.

I know its been months since this response, but since someone bumped the thread I figured I'd give an answer.

First, I had multiple characters and I still have my copy of the game with a metal case in my drawer.  I went into the game with a guild of around 20-30 people and we all burned out after a few months.

People talk about PvE and PvP like they are two concepts that cannot intermingle.  The downfall of every PvP sandbox game is always the same thing, and thats the world is a lifeless backdrop and theres virtually nothing worthwhile to do in the game outside of PvP.  An MMORPG world IS PVE.  Factions, story, dungeons, towns, mobs... EVERYTHING.  To neglect it is to resign your game to being shallow and mediocre, which is exactly what sandbox game has been for the last decade.

I don't play games with dungeon queues, but I do like going out and there being meaningful exploration, places to conquer, and progressively harder content that yields ways to improve my character.  Thats the principle the MMORPG was founded on, and this business of pretending that "players are the [only] content" has forfeited any chance of sandbox games being worth playing.

If a game isn't fun without PvP, it won't be fun with it.  Its just the way it is.

IDK what kind of content you are looking for but it is a sandbox game.  So generally you have to get someone to go out and gather resources.  You need another person who can tame animals for mounts.  That same person might be the one who hauls resources from each town.  You need another person who can kill creatures and yet another person who is capable of harvesting the materials from the animals that have been killed.  Then you need another person who can refine the materials into something usefull.  And after that you need someone who can craft the item into a weapon or armor. 

Lets say you want to build a house.  Ok you need people who will spend the time helping you build it.  Then you need to haul the materials after they have been gathered.  And while that is happening you need to avoid the players who will try to kill you and take it.  It is a very deep game and you have to be constantly gathering and buying resources so you can equip yourself when someone kills you and takes your stuff.

And if you build a town you  hire guards and have gate passwords and hire bankers and the sort to live in and run the town.  And another guild can come and destroy it and take all your stuff.