Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Narcissistic Braggarts

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Met one?  Are you one?

Bragging rights in games are awesome but...  "look at me" "look at me" is a juvenile sentiment not pretty from those 13+.  Telling everyone what you've accomplished makes you look good.  Humbly noticing what others have accomplished makes you look great.  Grasp the difference?

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    The baby boomer generation is home to many of them, they covet youth , the one thing they just can't have, they put down the youth and act like the youth are a bunch of lazy kids that are entitled, that's to mask their own entitlement, a Sportscar, fat retirement plans, 3000 sq ft home, over payed and insecure. I pretend to value their input - it's done wonders for me. What a nice house, great job on that quarterly report, you're the best..... stroke those egos, it will do wonders.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    The baby boomer generation is home to many of them, they covet youth , the one thing they just can't have, they put down the youth and act like the youth are a bunch of lazy kids that are entitled, that's to mask their own entitlement, a Sportscar, fat retirement plans, 3000 sq ft home, over payed and insecure. I pretend to value their input - it's done wonders for me. What a nice house, great job on that quarterly report, you're the best..... stroke those egos, it will do wonders.

This times infinity.  It's like they saw the Greatest Generation and decided collectively to be 100% not that.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

No one is still going to just give you their stuff. That only works in games. Keep wishing.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I want to look good for myself I don't care how I look in other players eyes.
    Originally posted by Grunty

No one is still going to just give you their stuff. That only works in games. Keep wishing.

There is no wishing involved, it more of just waiting and then pushing for inflation.
  • RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Maurgrim
    I want to look good for myself I don't care how I look in other players eyes.

I can get behind this quote.

This could end up being very interesting.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

THIS.

The baby boomers whine and whine about younger generations,... they raised us. If anything it is their fault. Not only that but they are typically the most racist, homophobic, and sexist people still around. The planet will likely be better off when they are gone or no longer in power.

/rant

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I take it you haven't watched grown men play professional sports for the last 40 years...
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    None of the poll options fits me - I play to amuse myself and pass the time pleasantly.  There's no need for me to help other players because I assume that, like myself, everyone else is competent enough to achieve what they want on their own. Anyway, it's just a computer game - what's to brag about?  It's not like I've performed life-saving surgery or anything.
    TBH, I clicked into this thread thinking Narcissistic Braggarts was a new guild.
  • Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

People that brag about never spending money in MMOs these days bother me the most.  Too cheap to support the industry that entertains them for countless hours. 

I'd have to disagree with the OP about the bragging of kids. Older people brag too. There is were always people with their epeen out in WoW, when I used to play. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    TBH, I clicked into this thread thinking Narcissistic Braggarts was a new guild.

An offshoot of Elitist Jerks? image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Zarf42

People that brag about never spending money in MMOs these days bother me the most.  Too cheap to support the industry that entertains them for countless hours. I'd have to disagree with the OP about the bragging of kids. Older people brag too. There is were always people with their epeen out in WoW, when I used to play. 

Cheap ? Or not will to participate in the money schemes ?

People that brag about never spending money in MMOs these days bother me the most.  Too cheap to support the industry that entertains them for countless hours. 

I'd have to disagree with the OP about the bragging of kids. Older people brag too. There is were always people with their epeen out in WoW, when I used to play. 

Not participating would be not playing the game. Even just playing F2P games encourages them since the free-loaders are content for the whales.

If you hate F2P monetization like I do, don't even bother to download the games.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Ugly people say its the insides that count. Poor say money doesn't buy you happiness. Losers say winning isn't everything.

Somebody had to say it. Sorry. image

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Lets be honest, the game companies are responsible for this. If they had stuck with a subscription model instead of fishing for whales, the issue would not exist.

As far as bragging goes. I don't care what anyone else has or does not have. I also see no reason others should worry about what I have. I play, mostly solo, to relax and pass the time. If people get obnoxious, I turn chat off and go on about my business.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by SuperDonk

People that brag about never spending money in MMOs these days bother me the most.  Too cheap to support the industry that entertains them for countless hours.  I'd have to disagree with the OP about the bragging of kids. Older people brag too. There is were always people with their epeen out in WoW, when I used to play. 

Not participating would be not playing the game. Even just playing F2P games encourages them since the free-loaders are content for the whales.

If you hate F2P monetization like I do, don't even bother to download the games.

That's one way - I sometimes use the Ole keep your friends close but enemies closer, hop into these games and poison the community, only if it's really ripping people though.
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

That's one way - I sometimes use the Ole keep your friends close but enemies closer, hop into these games and poison the community, only if it's really ripping people though.

Keep fighting the good fight!

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

Thread needs theme music for the generation blame game going on.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Robsolf

An offshoot of Elitist Jerks? image

Yeah!  Except they'd be more PvE based.  image

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I chose a mix. I do not log in for the sole purpose of helping others, but when the opportunity arises, I usually help out if I can. I have my own goals in mind when I play, but they are not set in stone :)

Not touching the young vs old crap going on.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Option #other: I play to have fun (enjoy the game), yet I also enjoy playing with others and helping them accomplish the goals they have.

If those I play with are having at least as much fun as me then everybody wins, even if we lose.image

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I tend to log into an MMO because it's entertaining and fun. I'm not in any way driven to persue the gear grind we see in almost every MMO out there. I despise FOTM classes and builds and try to come up with wierd and bizzare builds that everyone will think I'm crazy for trying but actually work.

While I'm doing that I'm happy to help others if they need it but I don't make it a priority, I have my own game to play, testing myself and my wierd builds.

I don't stand around in main cities showing off my uber gear, because I never have any to show off, I got tired of that raid scene years ago. Why turn a game into a job? I'm here for fun DAMMIT!

Here's the thing, if you need to have me chasing the gear grind, the rep grind, the mount grind, the achievement grind etc just to keep me logging in, if your world isn't immersive enough to keep me interested without all of that bullshit, your MMO isn't worth the sweat off a camels scrotum.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I do help guildies and sometimes (but not always) other noobs but then I do like getting nice gear as well.

And sure, I like my avatars to look good but I don't spam the chat with cool stuff I have or things I have done. I don't really see the point to look like everyone else if a large part of the game is about getting good gear. Sure, it is more about beating hard challenges and having fun but I still like having good gear.

Really back (with games like M59 and EQ) just having a max level character impressed people, today it is about gear.I surely rather impress someone with my skills then my gear and I do like when someone tells me I play well. Then again, I have the feeling most people do. It is just a difference between that and constantly rubbing it in peoples face.