Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer finally crooked

CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I noticed a while ago my computer starting to fail after I ran it beyond its suggested temp for a couple weeks during a long render Today it died after 4-5 years. I was going to limp it to 2016 as there will be gpu die shrinks, new AMD CPUs, win10, and widespread ddr4.
The primary objective my machine has to do well is CAD rendering primarily in Blender. This is the one area where AMD beats Intel. This is one reason I wanted to push into 2015. Here is the system I am replacing it with.
FX 8370e
MSI 990FX GD80v2
MSI R9 290X
Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600 2X8GB
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
Seasonic X Series 650watts

I plan to add the other 2 dimms of memory in a couple weeks. I have also moved most of my backup data to cloud solutions and typically use under 256 GB data. I was contemplating between nvidia and AMD gpus, I went with the AMD for potential openCL performance.

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    How often and how important are your renders, and how much do you plan on gaming with your system?  If they don't need to be done very often and you plan on gaming a lot, Intel is a better choice.  If you rarely need the rendering done, but need it done fast, a cloud-based computing service might be better.  A third option would be to replace the CPU on your old system and build a gaming system with an Intel CPU.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

For what I do, AMD makes the most sense. CAD rendering scales to many cores efficiently, and can make use of the cache in the FX processors. We are not talking about a small gap, but a complete slaughter sub-$1000. For gaming, we are talking on a negligible difference at 60 fps without consider micro-stutter.
    When I am working, I usually need render immediately and they sometimes take 10 or more minutes. It's not something I can outsource as its part of my workflow to a final product.
    Also, the only salvage on my old PC might be the mirrored HDD. However this are at the age I would want to replace them. Many of the other components have been slowly failing for different reasons. My CPU, gpu, and mobo have heat damage issues. My memory DIMMs have some bad sectors that cause blue screen in about a month, and the psu just now started to supply insufficient power to components

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

New PC up, only 2 minor issues. The case is not wide enough to comfortably accommodate the PCI-e power cables. They are squished down. The Corsair H80i's hoses are not long enough to reach the CPU without being flipped upside-down.