It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I tought most people have forgotten about how good this game actually is for players like me that are into lore and stories... I think this was the first game that put story so high on their agenda, and set the scene for the newer story based games like ESO, TSW and SWTOR. And yet still it feels like a unique place..
here is why i keep returning to this game..
- even after 7 years the graphical art style is still convincing
- the scenery is still the best in any MMO, traveling the lands has so many beatifull sights
- despite many storie areas and dungeon being instanced, it really feels like a huge open world, more then any other themepark game
- mounted combat, best in any MMO
- big epic battles, being part of mass combat in PvE feels unique
- skirmishes... Quick group content..
- fun dungeons and raids, very diverse, many of them scaling in level
- housing, still one of the best systems, part of the sociall system
- Quests and lore, having a story paralel to the big events in the books, makes you really feel part of the tolkien lore
- Society, is unbelievable, no other game has so many player organised events
- the music system, and people performing in the game world
- all those little fun things implemented in the world, like chicken runs
- Magic in the Tolkien world feels quite rare compared to other fantasy MMOs, as it should be...
- Regular content updates, like 3 major updates over the last year..
- Class diversity, all classes feel and play totally different, with unique mechanics for every class. Adding to the replayabillity
- so much story and quests, that you need several characters to see and play it all
- monster play, i love fighting other players this way, it does not break the worlds immersion
yes, its a leveling game, not an endgame game currently, but there are people everywhere, espescially with the new class recently released, level 1 to 50 zones are booming. And while the lore is not totally true to tolkiens books, i am sure Tolkien himself would have loved to play a character in this game build around his very own world.
Yet the story is allready in the 3rd book, and progressing towards the probable Mordor Climax, which got me wondering what will happen after that, but then thats another discussion entirely. So far they they succeeded to make new content feel fresh every time, at allmost every update the game gets a new push into a different direction with new things to experience.
as a game hopper, i really hope that i can allways keep returning to this game and feel like getting home.. Its currently the only MMO that feels closer to a virtuall world then to a game
Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)