Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 2 MMO of Twitch: WoW (26K Viewers), Runescape (4K)

Despite everything anyone here will say about MMO's, how good or bad the market is, how much better we are with linear themeparks, or how much sandbox's arent relevant. 

It is extremely sad that the two top MMO's being watched right now, are Obviously WoW with 26k viewers, and in 2nd place with a whopping 4k viewers, RUNESCAPE!!

A game that pre-dates WoW, has minimal 3-d graphics and is mainly played using point and click features.

THAT IS SAD GUYS!

Think about that, 400 times the people are interested in Runescape than ESO. 

There's only 4 people watching someone play Wildstar right now, last night there was none at 9PM EST, peak streaming hours. 

Think ABOUTTHAT!>

Comments

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Some people are probably playing the games instead of watching them being played.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

I'd imagine people are generally more interested in watching a particular streamer then a particular game, if all they cared about was the game being streamed they would probably just go elsewhere, Twitch is more about the community then anything. I bet if any of those popular WoW streamers stopped playing WoW started streaming ESO you'd probably see roughly the same numbers. 

Example, Pewdiepie plays some extremely awful games and yet still gets millions of views. Do you think people are interested in watching his videos for the games or for him?

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by kairel182
    Originally posted by luisrkiller
    Some people are probably playing the games instead of watching them being played.

The ignorance is getting old.  It's far more entertaining than watching TV.  Also, everyone I know has at least one off monitor, some two and at least 75% of my time on the computer have twitch up on the side.

That being said, MMO's are boring to watch, let alone watching something as lame as WoW.  Runescape is a bit more interesting but not by much.

WoW is clearly not that boring, as it has more than 5 times as much viewers on twitch than runescape. I wasn't trying to be ignorant, it's just my opinion and obviously a fact that there's more people playing the mmo than watching it being played. Ignorance is lack of knowledge, and i stated the truth.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I am starting to think people don't like playing these nickel and dime , grind festival , imbalanced, pay to 2 win games with lackluster communities. It was good , but not anymore.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

The ignorance is getting old.  It's far more entertaining than watching TV.  Also, everyone I know has at least one off monitor, some two and at least 75% of my time on the computer have twitch up on the side.

That being said, MMO's are boring to watch, let alone watching something as lame as WoW.  Runescape is a bit more interesting but not by much.

You are EXACTLY the type of person South Park was making fun of a couple episodes back.  LOL.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Personally, I follow the personalities I like the most.  Not necessarily what game they play.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    These two games in particular have a long history and culture surrounding them so more people relate to them. Runescape and WoW are only two of the most popular mmos of all time.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    And what exactly is supposed to be so sad about this?  Some people would rather play games than watch someone else play.  I don't worry much about those who would rather watch someone else play than play themselves.  If you're not going to play a game yourself, then you're probably not going to pay for that game, so your preferences don't mess up what game studios decide to make.
  • ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348

First off OP you need to understand why a large portion of people even stream their games on twitch. They're doing it to make money or they're doing it to try to get enough steady viewers to become partners with Twitch to make money.

What this entails is playing games that are popular so people will actually want to watch you play the game. This is why usually the games that have the most viewers are the insanely popular mobas LoL and Dota 2, and also PoE/D3 up there as well as SC2 and Hearthstone.

When you actually look at all the facts in WHY people stream in the first place, then you begin to get an idea of why certain mmos aren't up there. Just to give you a simple example. WoW has roughly 70 rows of streamers streaming the game live right now. League of Legends has...i stopped counting at 110~ rows. It just kept going.

As a general basic rule, the more streamers a game has, the more views it will also have. Yes the majority of the streamers are going to have 10 or less viewers, but the more streamers, the more likely one of those streamers has a decent sized viewer base that follows them from youtube or other sites. So it really should come at no surprise that WoW/Runescape are the 2 highest mmorpgs and that they aren't overtaking other game genres like Mobas and single player/party games.

Another general rule as far as streaming goes, the two top main reasons people watch streams are for the streamers personalities, and for clear cut objective based/match-style gameplay. What i mean by the 2nd one is, usually in an mmo you don't really have a clear cut objective to complete. You're just playing the game doing whatever. But in a Dota2 or League game. It's a match that people can watch and see who wins and the streamers will play a number of them.

But in WoW or any other mmorpg, unless they're doing arena matches(which most aren't), all there is to watch is random gameplay or raids. The raids are interesting(at mythic difficulty) but just look at what most people that stream WoW actually are doing. The ones with the most viewers are streaming Highmaul Heroic/Mythic raids and doing high level arena matches, but the majority are doing random shit that isn't fun to watch like heroics and etc.