Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this might be the Mass Effect MMO we have been waiting for

1235»

Comments

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

About the selling ships, guess a lot of MMO (if not all of them) would benefit (monetary) from selling gear and so. Why they don't do it? It's the biggest PTW feature. That's a very bad advertisement. And although I could have lot of sales at first, it would punish the game in the end. That's another reason that it's not very probable they'll keep selling ships after launch.

And about Chris Roberts, guess his name calls "long campaign, ambition, inmersion". And yeah, also "Perfectionism", all of them are traits than require lot of time and money for get the product he'll want. Fortunely, he doesn't want a saga (like the yearly Call of Duty, Assasin's Creed and so on), so he'll focus just in this game, to make it as big and complete as he wants.

Could be delayed? Yep, we think so. Require more money? Guess still a bit more, but I think it will be enough. Cancel the project? Yeah, sure. After all the work that thew show us it would be more costly to stop it than continue it.

Expecting the best, but with the hype under control :-)

Edit:

Originally posted by HighMarshal
    If this game is supposed to be Mass Effect like in space with several choice options for me to make, I will still only chose the red option as blue or green are not my style.

Jajajaja, nice one. But guess we won't have colors here... hmmm, yeah, still need more info about the dialogues with NPC :-)

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by hfztt....
    So no, not trolling, just stating a valid point of view on what is going on.

And here is the problem .... it is NOT what is going on.  It is what YOU THINK might happen. It COULD happen - i do not argue that because i do not know the future -  but it is not a 100 % sure thing. Stating NOW that something will happen for sure either means you are a fortune-teller or that you are just stating your personal opinion and calling it the one and only truth.

Have fun

"I seriously do not belive"

There was a pretty clear disclamer for personal oppinion right there. So yeah, it is my oppinon. Like it your oppinion that this is NOT what is going on. NONE of us really knows, thus: "stating a valid point of view" is not untrue.

You base your oppinon on what they say they will do, I base mine on what they have done untill now. That does NOT make my oppinion less valid that yours.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

In this video Roberts talks about people with not a lot of free time being able to buy ships (post launch) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y-jiRZHj4c&t=42m20s

Personally I can't see them closing off the revenue stream.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

This might not be the one, this IS the one we are waiting for.

We are waiting and waiting and waiting and ...

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by rawfox

This might not be the one, this IS the one we are waiting for.

We are waiting and waiting and waiting and ...

2-3 years is too much wait? 4-5 years of development for an AAA game it's not unusual.

But yeah, usually the companies keep it secret for the first years, give a couple of concept arts 1 or 2 years before and when it's near the release date they start to give more info. This is not the case, so that's the reason why the wait seems so long :-)

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

In this video Roberts talks about people with not a lot of free time being able to buy ships (post launch) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y-jiRZHj4c&t=42m20s

Personally I can't see them closing off the revenue stream.

I know not only the video - i was there in person ;-)

He clarified during Gamescon  (and later in official postings) that the UEC shop AT LAUNCH is for equipment, NOT for ships. He may have suggested this during the talk, but he corrected himself later.

See here :

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/united-earth-credits

"Are there limits to the amount of UEC I can obtain or stockpile?

In order to regulate the economy, the Central Core Bank has imposed restrictions on acquiring and stockpiling UEC. Each account can obtain a maximum of 25,000 UEC per 24 hour period, and can hold a maximum of 150,000 UEC on account in your ledger at any time. Buying items with UEC does reduce your ledger balance, and does not count towards the maximum UEC cap. These restrictions may be modified at the order of the CCB in the future when additional gameplay options become available."

"What can I buy with UEC?

At this time you can buy a variety of ship upgrades and decorative hangar items with UEC. These items have been selected because they will be available in this same ‘mail order’ fashion in the finished game. You can not purchase items which would not be available everywhere in the game universe, such as add on ships, or items which are not part of the Star Citizen universe, like t-shirts or game packages."

I cannot rule out that at a certain date after  the launch of the game people will be able to buy more than what has been written above (maybe including ships), as I am not working at CIG.  However, according to the current plans and official statements they do not plan at the launch of the game to sell ships via that shop. As you can see from the post below, personally I think it is a bad idea to sell whole ships for real world money after the game has launched.

Have fun

Originally posted by hfztt
    **Snip **

You base your oppinon on what they say they will do, I base mine on what they have done untill now. That does NOT make my oppinion less valid that yours.

What they have done until now is run a standard - although very successful - crowdfunding campaign with various tiers of participation, like you see in all other crowdfunding/Kickstarter campaigns.  Those tiers (=pledge packages) just happen to contain ships because its a sci-fi game.  Other games offer art-books, figurines, bags,  additional characters in game or  in-game decorative items  instead. That many reduce this w.r.t. to Star Citizen  to "OMG they sell pixel spaceships for 2500 $" is unfortunate. That a part of the gaming press picks this up and uses it as click-bait is even more unfortunate.

If and when CIG starts to sell ships for real world money after launch, you have a point. A point i would agree to - I too would think selling ships for real world cash in game is a bad idea.

Until they do that, all you can do is speculate. And it stays speculation up until the moment CIG changes its stance and published modus-operandi. But not before.

Have fun

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by hfztt....
    So no, not trolling, just stating a valid point of view on what is going on.

And here is the problem .... it is NOT what is going on.  It is what YOU THINK might happen. It COULD happen - i do not argue that because i do not know the future -  but it is not a 100 % sure thing. Stating NOW that something will happen for sure either means you are a fortune-teller or that you are just stating your personal opinion and calling it the one and only truth.

Have fun

"I seriously do not belive"

There was a pretty clear disclamer for personal oppinion right there. So yeah, it is my oppinon. Like it your oppinion that this is NOT what is going on. NONE of us really knows, thus: "stating a valid point of view" is not untrue.

Ahh the classic " Is the glass half full or half empty " connundrum.   Optomist versus Pessimist.

I am a natural pessimist myself, but I prefer looking at the optomist side when I can.

In this case, Erillion gives of plenty of positive facts about the game.   Hfztt gives mainly conjecture.

I take conjecture with a grain of salt.  Facts I am always willing to hear.   Keep up the good work Erillion!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

See here :

I cannot rule out that at a certain date after  the launch of the game people will be able to buy more than what has been written above (maybe including ships), as I am not working at CIG.  However, according to the current plans and official statements they do not plan at the launch of the game to sell ships via that shop. As you can see from the post below, personally I think it is a bad idea to sell whole ships for real world money after the game has launched.

Have fun

I would like to think that's the case but I've seen people state for a long time that UEC will be capped (prior to the video I linked) but as there's no date on the FAQ it's hard to know whether what's written is current or past.

I have to say I'm not so bothered if CIG allow people to spend their money on ships / modules or whatever, the only thing really bothers me is whether they try to drive people into spending. As long as the game is catered towards those that play before those that pay - there is no issue.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

See here :

Have fun

I would like to think that's the case but I've seen people state for a long time that UEC will be capped (prior to the video I linked) but as there's no date on the FAQ it's hard to know whether what's written is current or past.

I have to say I'm not so bothered if CIG allow people to spend their money on ships / modules or whatever, the only thing really bothers me is whether they try to drive people into spending. As long as the game is catered towards those that play before those that pay - there is no issue.

I am pretty much 100% convinced this will be a P2W game.

Why do I say that?  Look at how much money people have spent on this game without it even being playable.   There are starving people out there drooling for this game.   And they have money.  Its my hunch Roberts is going to milk this for as much as he can and who would blame him?

And if the game is as good as he says it will be, then people will be even happier to P2W.    It is pretty much a given in my book.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

"What can I buy with UEC?

At this time you can buy a variety of ship upgrades and decorative hangar items with UEC. These items have been selected because they will be available in this same ‘mail order’ fashion in the finished game. You can not purchase items which would not be available everywhere in the game universe, such as add on ships, or items which are not part of the Star Citizen universe, like t-shirts or game packages."

As far as my reading comprehension goes, what he rules out is purchase of ships not normally available in the game (that would be special edition ships i guess), not ships in general. Sp, yes, I can buy UEC for real money and use those UEC to pay for a ship, the way I read that.

Also that statement in no way rules out continued sales of special edition ships with real cash, just that you cant get those with UEC.

As far as my reading comprehension goes, what he rules out is purchase of ships not normally available in the game (that would be special edition ships i guess), not ships in general. Sp, yes, I can buy UEC for real money and use those UEC to pay for a ship, the way I read that.

--> As far as players have asked the devs and got feedback,  the smallest ship is most likely more expensive than the capped amount of UEC in the wallet for the in game "mail order" shop. There is enough UEC in the wallet to buy a ship skin or weapon, but not enough UEC to buy even the smallest ship. Of course this is the CURRENT situation and subject to change.

Also that statement in no way rules out continued sales of special edition ships with real cash, just that you cant get those with UEC.

--> Chris Roberts has ruled out specifically that special edition ships will ONLY be available for real world cash and NOT available for in game cash in the game. Its a SC design principle that EVERYTHING will be available in the game for in game cash, with no need for real world cash once the game has launched.

Have fun

• SunnybeachSunnybeach Member CommonPosts: 20

What year is SC supposed to be launched? Is there a set date for pre order or beta testing? Can you be a beta tester if you haven't payed for any ship?

What will SC be as a game? MMO or co-op? Will it feel like Eve with it's persistent galaxy, or like SWTOR with it's instanced world? Will I be able to explore freely  or will I be bound to quests/missions in order to be able to travel?

Originally posted by Sunnybeach

What year is SC supposed to be launched?

--> End of 2016, beginning of 2017 according to current plans. With parts being available in 2015 onwards.

Is there a set date for pre order or beta testing?

--> "pre Order" is going on since the Kickstarter camapign in Nov 2012. Alpha testing is ongoing. No beta testing yet (no feature complete Alpha existing yet). I would expect Beta testing in 2016.

Can you be a beta tester if you haven't payed for any ship?

--> No. You need at least a basic pledge package (30 $ ish  if memory serves right). But you will get the full game for it when finished.

What will SC be as a game? MMO or co-op?

--> It is not an MMO in the classical sense.  It is a multiplayer game, but not a massive multiplayer game. Due to performance issues (for the high level of grafic quality and twitch flying, you cannot go to much higher numbers with the projected tech level of 2016) expect instances of no more than 100 players (total for both sides, so 50 vs 50 fights). There are no 4000 player battles like in EVE. In SC that would be 40 instances of 100 players each.

Will it feel like Eve with it's persistent galaxy, or like SWTOR with it's instanced world?

--> Neither.

--> Its more like SWTOR than EVE w.r.t. to instancing, but you have as much freedom to go and do things like you have in EVE.

Will I be able to explore freely

--> Yes.

or will I be bound to quests/missions in order to be able to travel?

--> You will be able to travel freely to most of the known systems. Some systems may have jump points  which are known to only a few. You will most likely have to befriend a faction (e.g. UEC Navy, alien Xian diplomatic corps etc.) to get that jump point information to be able to access these systems. That will be quest locked I guess (nothing official known yet, thats my personal guestimate).

--> Have fun

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Sunnybeach

What year is SC supposed to be launched? Is there a set date for pre order or beta testing? Can you be a beta tester if you haven't payed for any ship?

What will SC be as a game? MMO or co-op? Will it feel like Eve with it's persistent galaxy, or like SWTOR with it's instanced world? Will I be able to explore freely  or will I be bound to quests/missions in order to be able to travel?

Persistant universe alpha with a few systems by the end of 2015

First Person shooter sim module is coming very soon, couple of weeks or so

Final game will have lawless sectors where the experience should be very much like Eve, aka player driven