Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this might be the Mass Effect MMO we have been waiting for

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Erillion
    Originally posted by Phry

Somehow i expected it to be more than just that, to be honest if that's truly what your limited to, could be that Star Citizen is not a game i would be interested in, too many predetermined 'pathways'  with 'scripted' events.

One of the things i like about Eve Online, and also about Elite;Dangerous, is that you choose your own path. What your basically saying is that SC is a Theme Park game, not a Sandbox one, personally i hope you have got it wrong.image

In Star Citizen you will have BOTH.

Squadron 42 is a detailed and long (solo) story, with necessarily scripted events following the plotline (which is NOT linear, there are variants based on your choices and victories/defeats). With many detailed cutscenes, heavily using mocap,P-cap (=detailed facial expressions), voice acting and orchestral sounds.

Star Citizen Persistent Universe is your free-to-choose-Sandbox ... where you follow your own path, alongside other players. You just earned your citizenship by doing your tour of duty in the military (=SQ42) ... now ... the universe is yours to experience.

Have fun

If its in the nature of a tutorial that you have to complete before you can access the rest of the game, that i can accept... as long as it doesn't take too long image

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

oh puhleaze. Is "choose your own path" now the official euphemistic codephrase for "no story whatsoever" or "no purpose whatsoever" ?

I´m sure they´ll thow in some non voiced generic text window quests for you , then you can make up "your own story" and ship biowaste from A to B or C to D all day long, completely without "scripted story".

And then the whole absurd reference he makes to sandbox vs. themepark.

You know what shipping biowaste from A to B with or without "story" has zero to do with either themepark nor sandbox?

Good. Because Eve is the only sandbox MMO around in space, just so you know. NPC focused grinds where you can´t build anything or do player trading, instead doing fetch quests cargo runs are not even sandbox MMO, FYI. That´s GW2 in space, or worse.

So you claim that Star Citizen is the Mass Effect MMO, and therefore the whole point of multi-choice options is to choose your own path and yet you're saying that it''s all "official euphemistic codephrase for "no story whatsoever" or "no purpose whatsoever" ?"

Well done...

I claim that picking up simplistic missions without story has nothing to do with making your own story, even less to with sandbox or not, it´s just what it is. running simple NPC given missions everyone else does, over and over again, if some "roleplayers" want to imagine a story behind that makes them feel less directed then more power to them, but they´re still running generic one off missions and the rest is happening in their glorious imagination.

Besides it is known that SC won´t force you to do any campaign or story driven missions, pretty sure if someone wants to role play a space manure truck driver in the universe and imagine his backstory of abuse and lost love while he´s at it, he´ll be able to do that too.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Brenelael

I'm not saying you are right or wrong but maybe you should go to the RSI website and read some of the lore before you make that judgement. They have some very talented writers on their staff. Most of their lore is as well written as anything Bioware has produced. Hopefully that quality will carry over into the game as well.

Bren

I have, there is no lack of talent and i do not doubt that they will do do a very good job with the lore. But BW have about a decade on them experience wise and as far as i know they are not trying to take on BW. Also there is a very big gap between having good lore and to produce a story like we see in the BW games.. Especially the earlier mentioned Mass Effect series.

Again... Afaik nobody at RSI have said they are trying to top BW.. just make a good and engaging story and to be honest that is enough. No need for anyone to go all "WoW-Killer" over their game of choice.

I seriously hope that RSI take a good look at what makes BW stories so good... And borrow with brave intent.

This have been a good conversation

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

The first time I heard about the game it was suppose to be the sandbox of all sandbox.

As of today it looks like a single player space sim. And then they are going to tac on some co-op features....later.

This game couldn't be further from a MMORPG at this point.

Not sure how people cant see this, so many are going to be mad when it goes live.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I claim that picking up simplistic missions without story has nothing to do with making your own story, even less to with sandbox or not, it´s just what it is. running simple NPC given missions everyone else does, over and over again, if some "roleplayers" want to imagine a story behind that makes them feel less directed then more power to them, but they´re still running generic one off missions and the rest is happening in their glorious imagination.

Besides it is known that SC won´t force you to do any campaign or story driven missions, pretty sure if someone wants to role play a space manure truck driver in the universe and imagine his backstory of abuse and lost love while he´s at it, he´ll be able to do that too.

I know you don't get it, you've made that clear many times, yet it doesn't stop you from going out of your way to make absurd claims about a game you have absolutely no interest in playing, which is bizarre in itself.

If you choose to view things at their most simplistic and in the most boring light then of course it's going to be simplistic and boring, it's like reading a book and saying it's nothing more than pages of words about stuff people get up to. It's a classic case of what you put into it is what you get out of it.
    It may come as a shock but some people like being able to picture their own scenarios instead of having everything played out by the devs and all you have to do is basically follow along. Now granted it's not for everybody but it hardly makes it wrong.

There's a lot to the background simulation side of things in Elite that isn't obvious at first glance - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6305 and this is something that Frontier have said they need to introduce people to in a better way, because once you're aware of those things you start seeing the influence and the effect of your actions or ways that you could influence certain states which opens things up a lot more.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

The first time I heard about the game it was suppose to be the sandbox of all sandbox.

As of today it looks like a single player space sim. And then they are going to tac on some co-op features....later.

Not sure how people cant see this, so many are going to be mad when it goes live.

You are looking at basically TWO games.

You don't have a single player space sim OR a sandbox. In Star Citizen you will have BOTH.

Squadron 42 is a detailed and long (solo) story, with necessarily scripted events following the plotline (which is NOT linear, there are variants based on your choices and victories/defeats). With many detailed cutscenes, heavily using mocap,P-cap (=detailed facial expressions), voice acting and orchestral sounds.

Star Citizen Persistent Universe is your free-to-choose-Sandbox ... where you follow your own path, alongside other players. You just earned your citizenship by doing your tour of duty in the military (=SQ42) ... now ... the universe is yours to experience. But it is NOT an MMORPG ... it IS a multiplayer game, but NOT a massively multiplayer game.

Have fun

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

I essentially have to give the same answer as I gave Phry above ... you are looking at basically TWO games.

You don't have a single player space sim OR a sandbox. In Star Citizen you will have BOTH.

Star Citizen Persistent Universe is your free-to-choose-Sandbox ... where you follow your own path, alongside other players. You just earned your citizenship by doing your tour of duty in the military (=SQ42) ... now ... the universe is yours to experience. But it is NOT an MMORPG ... it IS a multiplayer game, but NOT a massively multiplayer game.

Have fun

But it is NOT an MMORPG ... it IS a multiplayer game, but NOT a massively multiplayer game.

That's what I said. A single player game with some co-op added in.

And for the record. I never asked a question. Starting your post to me with "I essentially have to give my opinion..." would have been accurate.

Have fun

I am not sure if you understand instancing in Star Citizen Persistent Universe.

There will be ten-thousands of players around you. But you will only meet at max 100 of them in a single instance. That could be a bar OR a plaza OR a starport OR  airspace above a city OR near orbit around planet XXX OR around asteroid field YYY etc. There could be 4000 players in orbit around planet XXX (--> it will be 40 instances  times 100 players). But you will not experience a 4000 player battle in a single instance (with time dilation)  like you can in EVE Online.  THAT is why SC is not an MMORPG.

"Some co-op" is something you find in Borderlands ... or in Evolve ... with up to 3 other players. Or in Battlefield games ... with a squad.

SC is more than "a single player with some co-op added". Maybe you think about Elite:Dangerous in its current state. This is NOT how Star Citizen is designed.

Have fun

PS:

>>>>And for the record. I never asked a question.>>>

ACK .... then my two posts are personal opinions based on available information. An opinion which most likely differs from yours.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

The Squadon 42 campaign was the original game as planned, the PU was a stretch goal.

It has been said many times with confidence the core game is Squadron 42, a triple A sized single player game with epic story like any Wing Commander game was before.

Of course it will be a bit like Mass Effect, there always was choice in the later Wing Commander games and different Wingmen died if you messed up missions., and it had dialaogue choices, so excuse me but the Masseffect series came way later than the WC series.

People shouldmore focus on the SQ42 development first, everything from SQ42 they are building will carry over to the PU later, but first comes the single player PvE campaign (plus Co-OP drop in), then the whole online mumbo jumbo some people are so keen on getting.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

I essentially have to give the same answer as I gave Phry above ... you are looking at basically TWO games.

Have fun

But it is NOT an MMORPG ... it IS a multiplayer game, but NOT a massively multiplayer game.

And for the record. I never asked a question. Starting your post to me with "I essentially have to give my opinion..." would have been accurate.

Have fun

In which MMORPG do you have more than 100s on screen regularily ? I played them all and I rarely interact with more than 10 people in a general area.

Sure you have game with mass pvp where you can have way more than that but it's not happening that often. Or in towns where you can sometimes have more but it's not like it enhance anything at this point.

ESO is a good example, remove the pvp area, would it still be an MMO ? Every part of the world is instanced / phased, so you can't have more than so many people with you.

Originally posted by Azoth

In which MMORPG do you have more than 100s on screen regularily ? I played them all and I rarely interact with more than 10 people in a general area.

Sure you have game with mass pvp where you can have way more than that but it's not happening that often. Or in towns where you can sometimes have more but it's not like it enhance anything at this point.

ESO is a good example, remove the pvp area, would it still be an MMO ? Every part of the world is instanced / phased, so you can't have more than so many people with you.

Instancing makes sense in some way. Keeps your FPS high. Reduces gold-spamming nonsense.  Usually is better for immersion (less player names like "I-PWN-U-NWB!").

As you say ... rarely are there more than 10-20 players in the same area ... with the possible exception of mass PvP or auction house hubs.

Coming back to Mass Effect and storyline ... keep in mind that long before there was Mass Effect such games like the Wing Commander series already had their branching storylines based on player decisions e.g.

http://www.wcnews.com/pictures/books/germanwc4gmissions.jpg

You could defect or not, follow the advice of one or the other wing(wo)man, attack this or that target .... it all had consequences. Some of the most interesting play-throughs  of Wing Commander for me personally was to deliberately lose missions to experience the "losers path" until you fight with your back to the wall (= jump point to Earth). 

Have fun

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Azoth

Have fun

Have fun

I agree with you. While it can't be called an RPG, it's definitely an MMO. You're part of a single universe that is filled with the entirety of the online SC community. You may not be able to fly with them all at the same time, but you can interact with them all. And anything you do will affect everyone else.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

so they are going to have multiple story branches and a dialogue wheel, might as well call it Mass Effect 5 with added space action.

I read their single player campaign script alone is like 1000 pages long. This is going to be good. Massive ships to walk around NPCs to talk to, set course and command your ship to really navigate the unvierse. I think Bioware needs to crank up their scope for a possible next Mass Effect. Story alone doesn´t cut it any more, need to combine it with actual not-on-rails freedom.

This might well be it.

The more i get to the earth by all logical and various comments throught MMORPG forums, from people urging us not to get on the hype train...and they are so right....

SC releases something and i feel goosebumps all over and smile with joy like when i was a kid.

Who didn't think oh man...what if? when you saw the new Imagine Trailer?

How to get down the hype train, when the train is full of pew pew, booze and pretty girlz? Damn, logic!

Imagine....

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• ArtalisArtalis Member UncommonPosts: 17

The reason there's a single--player script is that the game is in several parts. As a player (providing you are a backer or you have purchased it seperately) you have the option of bringing your character into the Persistent Universe through the single player campaign called Squadron 42.

This gives your character a background/history in the universe with their own scars and medals from their military service.

You have the option of going into Star Citizen's MMO section (the aforementioned Persistent Universe) without going through Squadron 42, but your character will have to then earn or buy actual Citizenship in the UEE in order to enjoy the benefits thereof.

Originally posted by Artalis

The reason there's a single--player script is that the game is in several parts. As a player (providing you are a backer or you have purchased it seperately) you have the option of bringing your character into the Persistent Universe through the single player campaign called Squadron 42.

This gives your character a background/history in the universe with their own scars and medals from their military service.

You have the option of going into Star Citizen's MMO section (the aforementioned Persistent Universe) without going through Squadron 42, but your character will have to then earn or buy actual Citizenship in the UEE in order to enjoy the benefits thereof.

Some backers i talked to specifically do not want to be UEE Citizens because they want to play the hardcore baddies, the pirates and slavers, the smugglers and black marketeers. The guys with no known UEE ID.

They will not play the SQ42 with these avatars for roleplaying reasons.

Of course they will play through SQ42 with other characters.

Have fun

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250

Some backers i talked to specifically do not want to be UEE Citizens because they want to play the hardcore baddies, the pirates and slavers, the smugglers and black marketeers. The guys with no known UEE ID.

They will not play the SQ42 with these avatars for roleplaying reasons.

Of course they will play through SQ42 with other characters.

Have fun

That's awesome.

the story guys at CIG are definitely on par with the Bioware guys, I wonder if you read the massive amount of lore that is already published, top notch stuff here.

First time I heard dialogue wheel I also thought this will be an even better Mass Effect with more focus on vehicular activities in actual space ships you can command, with hands on action

A lot of the lore can be found here:

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Have fun

I´m wondering of some of the Squadron 42 characters will show up in the PU as well or if they are mutally exclusive.

Would be cool to meet a retired Wingman running a bar or something at the end of the universe. :D

Recently played a lot of Fallout New Vegas, would be cool to have that sort of experience in space and planets. At the end it´s all about AI and story interacting in a believable way, but Tony Zuvarec is exactly the right guy to pull this off.

*delete
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I wish people would stop overhyping MMO's.  I don't really care about new MMO's until after they've been released.
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

That is why We The PC Space Gamers summoned our forces and back Chris Roberts to build a game better than it's overhype.

We don't know any other GrandMaster left in the industry that could pull this off. And frankly besides WoW and Blizzard no game or developer ever managed to deliver a better game than it's hype depicted, so you are really right and so true.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I wish people would stop overhyping MMO's.  I don't really care about new MMO's until after they've been released.

Cool story bra. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I don't want to build a game. I want to build a universe. - Chris Roberts

From the mind of Chris Roberts, acclaimed creator of Wing Commander and Freelancer, comes STAR CITIZEN. 100% crowd funded, Star Citizen aims to create a living, breathing science fiction universe with unparalleled immersion… and you’re invited to follow every step of development! More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for unlimited gameplay.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

I don't want to build a game. I want to build a universe. - Chris Roberts

From the mind of Chris Roberts, acclaimed creator of Wing Commander and Freelancer, comes STAR CITIZEN. 100% crowd funded, Star Citizen aims to create a living, breathing science fiction universe with unparalleled immersion… and you’re invited to follow every step of development! More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for unlimited gameplay.

I like the new term first person universe, really sums up the game nicely.