Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Monetization

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

From the FAQ:

Will The Repopulation Require a Subscription?

No. It will be a Free To Play title with income being generated from an in-game cash shop and optional one-time membership fees.

What Will Be In the Cash Shop? Will It Be Pay To Win?

We will not be Pay To Win. It is our feeling that free players are an important part of the user base and they add to the community. We don’t want those players to feel that they are at an unfair disadvantage just because they haven’t paid. While there may be things like skill gain increase boosts, we’re looking at lower increases than the 100%+ than has become standard in modern MMOs. We also don’t plan on adding items of power, such as potent armor, weapons or fittings. We do feel that players should earn whatever they get. That having been said, we do have to generate revenue in some way.

So what does that leave?

Account perks for one. Things like extra bank, inventory or character slots. Cosmetic items such as different armor or weapon looks. Non-combat oriented cosmetic or convenience items such as new hairstyles or furniture may also be available. We’ll explore and adjust as necessary.

The General FAQ does a good job of answering the basic questions and based on what I have read, this is fine. However, there is one question that has not been answered. This stuff in the Cash Shop, can it be re-sold in game to other players?

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Yea, I wont touch this game if you can resell cash shop items for in game cash. Seeing how this has become the norm, I guess it will probably be another pay to progress /skip content game. Unless the devs can prove me wrong and say it wont be.

F2P, welcome bots at a large number. Hoping this team have coded their game better than XL / AA. 

Not charging a sub shows, IMO no trust in their own product. If a game is great at what it does, it will eventually get the hype and word of mouth if it deserves it.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by andre369

Yea, I wont touch this game if you can resell cash shop items for in game cash. Seeing how this has become the norm, I guess it will probably be another pay to progress /skip content game. Unless the devs can prove me wrong and say it wont be.

F2P, welcome bots at a large number. Hoping this team have coded their game better than XL / AA. 

Not charging a sub shows, IMO no trust in their own product. If a game is great at what it does, it will eventually get the hype and word of mouth if it deserves it.

Excecpt the MMO gamer generation of today expects to get more for free than what sub games traiditonal give. Between all the F2P asian games, the quality of B2P games, games that were once P2P but went F2P after the launch hype died down etc, its probably a better move to make the game F2P at launch, especially for an indy company. With that said, this game, for all intense and purposes, is a B2P game. You won't be able to experience the game to its fullest potential, nor be able to be self sufficient in any sense of the word without putting money into the game. Furthermore, botting in this game, while possible, will not lead to riches due to 

PvP zones and the how you enhance the quality of items. 

However, botting to level up might be an issue and I really hope they address it in beta. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer ... We also don’t plan on adding items of power... That having been said, we do have to generate revenue in some way.

This part right here. This gives me a reason to pause. I will wait for a couple of months after launch to see how this goes.

Originally posted by d_20
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer ... We also don’t plan on adding items of power... That having been said, we do have to generate revenue in some way.

This part right here. This gives me a reason to pause. I will wait for a couple of months after launch to see how this goes.

That wouldn't have to be said if people didn't think plex systems, boosters, etc were p2w to win items. Hell, I've seen people say that extra bank space is p2w when you need to have a large bank to prepare for a city siege. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

I suppose if you put anyones use of words under a microscrope you can always find a lot of reasons to scare yourself. We've made it clear from the beginning this will not be a pay to win game. Can't make it any more clearly than that.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by JC-Smith

I suppose if you put anyones use of words under a microscrope you can always find a lot of reasons to scare yourself. We've made it clear from the beginning this will not be a pay to win game. Can't make it any more clearly than that.

That's great and I totally understand why you've said it that way and I absolutely hope it's true, because this game concept is awesome and I want to see it work out. Why wouldn't I want to see that?

It's just that I've heard those things before and the proof is in the pudding, as they say. I'm just a consumer. I don't know you personally, so it has nothing to do with you. It's just based on past experience, not only with mmorpgs, but with life and business in general.

So, like I said, I just want to see how things are after launch. Is that unreasonable?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Why did you take the time to respond to other posters in the thread, while ignoring the OP? P2W isn't the only problem caused by Cash Shops. Especially, in a game that is trying to present itself as a "sandbox" or at least a type of successor to SWG.

"P2W"  is NOT my question.

My question is simple. You want a world that has a high "player driven" factor. i.e. Crafting, Politics, economy etc. But you also want a Cash Shop. And look, I get it. This isn't a volunteer or a charity. You need to feed your kids too. 

But the mechanics of the game concern me when combined with the type of monetization you are planning.

Not having P2W items is one thing, but they still need to be desirable items or they won't sell. And to that end, if items that are both desirable by players and tradable in-game, means you are trying to create a game with a player driven economy and have RMT'd game currency at the same time.

I just don't see how that is going to work.

And to the poster above who cited EVE as an example of a sandbox with RMT, people always love to use PLEX as the "Poster Child" for successful RMT.

But they don't considera couple factors.

1. EVE had 5 years to mature an economy before PLEX was introduced into the game. Therefore, ISK's inherent vale had already been established. This means the dollar was always chasing ISK. Had PLEX launched with EVE, it would be the other way around and PLEX's value would have been based on the dollar. But it's not all good. EVE's economy is still bloated, the current active player base could never support the economy without PLEX / multiple accounts. 

2. PLEX is not a Publisher / Player transaction. It's a Player / Player transaction brokered by the publisher. (Not a Cash Shop). However, there absolutely, is an advantage to be gained in EVE through RMT. But it doesn't go to the player buying, it goes to the player selling it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek

Welcome to the MMORPG.com forums.

That's why I said in the other thread that game developers shouldn't waste their time here. Your words will have no effect. Minds are already made up no matter what you put in front of them.

Go read your own forums. You already have a decent fanbase ready and waiting to provide you with useful feedback. Don't waste your time with these simpletons. They'll never be happy, no matter what you do. 

Hmm, dismissive attitude towards fair questions and criticisms of a game, name calling of other posters including calling their intelligence into question, totally ignoring the trends of MMO history and thinking that somehow, this time,things will be totally different this time around.  All the makings of fan who won't see the problems that will clearly exist when this title launches with the F2P model, include being overrun by hackers and botters which this small team will likely be totally overwhelmed by.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Why did you take the time to respond to other posters in the thread, while ignoring the OP? P2W isn't the only problem caused by Cash Shops. Especially, in a game that is trying to present itself as a "sandbox" or at least a type of successor to SWG.

"P2W"  is NOT my question.

My question is simple. You want a world that has a high "player driven" factor. i.e. Crafting, Politics, economy etc. But you also want a Cash Shop. And look, I get it. This isn't a volunteer or a charity. You need to feed your kids too. 

But the mechanics of the game concern me when combined with the type of monetization you are planning.

Not having P2W items is one thing, but they still need to be desirable items or they won't sell. And to that end, if items that are both desirable by players and tradable in-game, means you are trying to create a game with a player driven economy and have RMT'd game currency at the same time.

I just don't see how that is going to work.

Im really bad at making up examples so my suggestion would be to look at the Fallen Earth shop. We don't need to discuss the quality of the game but after all the time even with a small community it manages to stay alive through their shop items which are purely cosmetic. The only thing that isnt are crafting tables which are OP sure but I never spent a single $ on the game and donated 100 of those to my guild.

People spend money to look special or to have a special looking pet or something.  You and I might not feel the need for it but stuff like that does work and people buy it. It's micropayments and they seem to work that good that I had to buy some freaking special currency in a club the other day to make me forget I spend real money on drinks. Crazy but I guess it works.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Alumicard

Im really bad at making up examples so my suggestion would be to look at the Fallen Earth shop. We don't need to discuss the quality of the game but after all the time even with a small community it manages to stay alive through their shop items which are purely cosmetic. The only thing that isnt are crafting tables which are OP sure but I never spent a single $ on the game and donated 100 of those to my guild.

People spend money to look special or to have a special looking pet or something.  You and I might not feel the need for it but stuff like that does work and people buy it. It's micropayments and they seem to work that good that I had to buy some freaking special currency in a club the other day to make me forget I spend real money on drinks. Crazy but I guess it works.

The whole point of my question doesn't revolve around whether or not someone can buy OP items, cosmetic items, crafting materials, or game services. What I want to know is, can this stuff be re-sold back to other players.

Games like this one.....and I am using SWG as my reference, are supposed to be based around a player driven world. They don't revolve around group instanced gear progression like other games. They revolve around establishing yourself within the world. And the vehicle to do that is money. Having the ability to transfer real money into a game that revolves around a player based political system and economy is just about as bad as selling OP gear on the shop. So, not selling P2W items in the cash shop does not make the game a non-P2W game.

The ultimate question is the same one I asked prior to ArcheAge releasing. When the dust settles, and the newness wears off and the player base begins to find their places in the game, will the ones on the top of the power-base be ones who worked the hardest in the game or will it be the ones who re traded cash shop items to become wealthy very early in game?

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

The whole point of my question doesn't revolve around whether or not someone can buy OP items, cosmetic items, crafting materials, or game services. What I want to know is, can this stuff be re-sold back to other players.

Games like this one.....and I am using SWG as my reference, are supposed to be based around a player driven world. They don't revolve around group instanced gear progression like other games. They revolve around establishing yourself within the world. And the vehicle to do that is money. Having the ability to transfer real money into a game that revolves around a player based political system and economy is just about as bad as selling OP gear on the shop. So, not selling P2W items in the cash shop does not make the game a non-P2W game.

The ultimate question is the same one I asked prior to ArcheAge releasing. When the dust settles, and the newness wears off and the player base begins to find their places in the game, will the ones on the top of the power-base be ones who worked the hardest in the game or will it be the ones who re traded cash shop items to become wealthy very early in game?

There was a time when I would have disagreed with this, but it is a fair question.

The problem with a fair F2P system is that it probably won't make you a lot of money.   Most of us are cheap and if we can play a game for free we probably will.   I like cosmetics but I probably won't spend huge amounts on them.

However if people can find a way to advance through the cash shop, they will probably do that , and you will likely make more money as well.

While it is easy to say it will not be P2W, with a cash shop it is very easy to slip down that very slippery slope.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Boneserino
    The problem with a fair F2P system is that it probably won't make you a lot of money.   Most of us are cheap and if we can play a game for free we probably will.   I like cosmetics but I probably won't spend huge amounts on them.

Early F2P games like Maple Story did well off cosmetics. Over time games got greedier. Many companies care about the financial impact above all else. It may be more financially rewarding to design games under a pay to win mechanic. Keep in mind this game is built by an indie team, and our goals coming into this weren't to get rich. It was to create a style of gameplay that you just don't see any more, as well as to add some new twists to the genre. Monetizing is important, we need to feed our families and keep the servers operational. But we don't have a parent corporation pulling our strings and we have designed our systems so that we require less staffing than other titles. Bear in mind our budget has been under $1M to date. It takes far less for us to be profitable than it does a game which starts off with an $50M+ budget.

Not directly related to this quote, but editing in here to save screen clutter, in response to some of the other questions. I think we've been very clear from the get go about our stance on pay to win games (where the guys who pay the most have a sizable advantage over the ones who don't). It's something we feel is very unhealthy for games. That having been said, a lot of people seem to have it made up in their minds that this is not going to be the case. But if you refuse to believe that for whatever reason, then there's not much we can do to change your mind. Time will tell.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by andre369

Excecpt the MMO gamer generation of today expects to get more for free than what sub games traiditonal give. Between all the F2P asian games, the quality of B2P games, games that were once P2P but went F2P after the launch hype died down etc, its probably a better move to make the game F2P at launch, especially for an indy company. With that said, this game, for all intense and purposes, is a B2P game. You won't be able to experience the game to its fullest potential, nor be able to be self sufficient in any sense of the word without putting money into the game. Furthermore, botting in this game, while possible, will not lead to riches due to 

PvP zones and the how you enhance the quality of items. 

However, botting to level up might be an issue and I really hope they address it in beta. 

Yep, gotta love today's player base. They want everything for free (even the cosmetics with some of the jokers out there) and scream P2W the moment a developer even tries make any kind of money. Some of them even get offended by the notion of XP boosts and similar items. (Because getting to max level is such a huge accomplishment, right? image)

It's a smart move on their part to go F2P from the start in today's market, confidence in their product or not. Plenty of devs were highly confident in their games, and deeply regretted it when they launched with a payment model that simply wasn't feasible. (Hello TSW, TERA and SWTOR - and in all likelihood, Wildstar as well, even if they haven't converted yet)

So far FFXIV is pretty much the only recent B2P & sub game that's managed to do it successfully (provided we disregard the first attempt), with ESO following in its footsteps, but it's still pretty early to say for sure whether that one will manage to stay sub in the years to come.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ZhjrisZhjris Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by xpiher

That wouldn't have to be said if people didn't think plex systems, boosters, etc were p2w to win items. Hell, I've seen people say that extra bank space is p2w when you need to have a large bank to prepare for a city siege. 

Exactly.

There's also some crazy bias against specific companies

Like one company selling a tradable item that equals 30days of game time = not pay to win

Another company doing the same thing = pay to win because they dislike this dev studio

It's pure BS

There are different kinds of pay 2 types. Each harming players in their own unique way and shouldn't be in any game let alone an mmo. The only thing sold in any mmo should be only aesthetic that don't give advantage in any way. Period.

Pay to win(P2W)---- ala World of tanks
    1. Where there is no means in game to gain access to that item and/or advantage.

Pay to catch up (P2CU)--- Ala Planetside 2 where you are at a disadvantage to those that spend money on gear off the bat, where you are playing catch up to be able to compete against those players. This comes in 2 forms; items or experience.

1. For experience: usually boosters are sold that give an advantage to a player making their character gain skills or levels faster. This usually has a horizontal margin with max level or skills.
    2. For items ; usually with these games new gear that is better or overpowered than previous ones is released periodically so as to give incentive to purchase and stay above the curve. Usually perpetual so the paying player always has an advantage.
    Pay to unlock(P2U)----ala Star wars: The old republic.
    1. This usually has limited access to parts of the game whether it be expansions, bag size, play time,unlocks, UI, abilities, items, and things to do.

I think this question depends on if you play the normal server or not since PvP death on the normal server won't be nearly as punishing as it will be on the hardcore server. I don't think it'll matter much if the cash shop items are tradeable in the long run as they will simply be "inflation" asborbers if the devs go with a "limited time offer" type items. I think you have nothing to worry about if the items in the cash shop are tradeable regardless though since the level of work required to be good at the game won't be measured in wealth, but knowledge, especially with how the crafting system works with refinement allowing players to min-max gear for different build types. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Early F2P games like Maple Story did well off cosmetics. Over time games got greedier. Many companies care about the financial impact above all else. It may be more financially rewarding to design games under a pay to win mechanic. Keep in mind this game is built by an indie team, and our goals coming into this weren't to get rich. It was to create a style of gameplay that you just don't see any more, as well as to add some new twists to the genre. Monetizing is important, we need to feed our families and keep the servers operational. But we don't have a parent corporation pulling our strings and we have designed our systems so that we require less staffing than other titles. Bear in mind our budget has been under $1M to date. It takes far less for us to be profitable than it does a game which starts off with an $50M+ budget.

Not directly related to this quote, but editing in here to save screen clutter, in response to some of the other questions. I think we've been very clear from the get go about our stance on pay to win games (where the guys who pay the most have a sizable advantage over the ones who don't). It's something we feel is very unhealthy for games. That having been said, a lot of people seem to have it made up in their minds that this is not going to be the case. But if you refuse to believe that for whatever reason, then there's not much we can do to change your mind. Time will tell.

I spent money on your game and am having a lot of fun in it but I am curious as to why you are dodging GeezerGamers question?

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I'd be more concerned with the cheaters and how they're gonna handle it. Games like WS had a bunch of teleporting miners around launch and that just ruined the game for me.
  • CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I suppose the lack of a direct response with a yes or a no implies there will be items in the cash shop than can be resold to other players?
    Originally posted by Ceryshen
    I suppose the lack of a direct response with a yes or a no implies there will be items in the cash shop than can be resold to other players?

Or its not decided yet...

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I'm certainly aren't avoiding any questions, but at the same time we've already covered everything that needs to be covered previously with regards to things like pay to win concerns, or how does a cash shop work in a sandbox. Things get busy I just sort of browse through and look for things that need answering. To reitirate though for those who haven't read through previous threads.

We value free players. Pay to Win options which make it hard for free players to compete with other players are something that we feel hurts the game because it drives away free players. We've designed our cash shop system to revolve primarily around things like inventory slots, bank slots, mission slots, ability to create a nation, and cosmetic items. The game was designed with this in mind. Ways we can encourage players to spend money in the shop, without offering them an unfair advantage over other players. If you value free players you can't do things which drive them away. You encourage players to spend money because you need money to run the servers, but you can't make them feel like third class citizens who need to start paying in order to get anywhere in the game. That's important to us.

With regards to drop or no drop. Cosmetic shells, account perks, convenience items would all be NO DROP. That's generally how it's done and that's how we plan on doing it. I can't say that there would never be anything that could be traded, because who knows what kind of ideas that you can come up with later that could make sense and would be non-harmful. But I can just harken back to the point in the last paragraph because it describes here, as well.

With regards to the economy. It's been gone over before. How can you have a cash shop in a sandbox economy? Well it's simple so long as you aren't selling items of power to player. Our items of power are fittings, not shells. Shells are primarily cosmetic, and will come in both cash shop only, and player crafted or adventured only variations. We have no plans to ever sell items of power (fittings, or armor/weapon shells that have special stats, etc) in the cash shop. We don't like them. We feel they take away from the sense of accomplishment.

The cash shop has no impact on the economy, because the things you will be able to purchase from it are things that are outside of the economy. There's no in-game mechanism to unlock account perks. And there will be no mechanism to profit from the cash shop once it's implemented.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    The post by JC-Smith pretty much sums up the cash shop reality for The Repopulation.  People can keep speculating as to how much P2W this game could be, but it looks like not at all. This company needs to make money somehow and F2P is really the only viable option, no matter how much I hate it, in today's MMORPGS. It will not be P2W, unless winning to you somehow means more bag space or a fancy hat. The biggest problem I had with Archeage was the fact that the cash shop items very much affected the economy. The Repop's will not.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm certainly aren't avoiding any questions, but at the same time we've already covered everything that needs to be covered previously with regards to things like pay to win concerns, or how does a cash shop work in a sandbox. Things get busy I just sort of browse through and look for things that need answering. To reitirate though for those who haven't read through previous threads.

We value free players. Pay to Win options which make it hard for free players to compete with other players are something that we feel hurts the game because it drives away free players. We've designed our cash shop system to revolve primarily around things like inventory slots, bank slots, mission slots, ability to create a nation, and cosmetic items. The game was designed with this in mind. Ways we can encourage players to spend money in the shop, without offering them an unfair advantage over other players. If you value free players you can't do things which drive them away. You encourage players to spend money because you need money to run the servers, but you can't make them feel like third class citizens who need to start paying in order to get anywhere in the game. That's important to us.

With regards to drop or no drop. Cosmetic shells, account perks, convenience items would all be NO DROP. That's generally how it's done and that's how we plan on doing it. I can't say that there would never be anything that could be traded, because who knows what kind of ideas that you can come up with later that could make sense and would be non-harmful. But I can just harken back to the point in the last paragraph because it describes here, as well.

With regards to the economy. It's been gone over before. How can you have a cash shop in a sandbox economy? Well it's simple so long as you aren't selling items of power to player. Our items of power are fittings, not shells. Shells are primarily cosmetic, and will come in both cash shop only, and player crafted or adventured only variations. We have no plans to ever sell items of power (fittings, or armor/weapon shells that have special stats, etc) in the cash shop. We don't like them. We feel they take away from the sense of accomplishment.

The cash shop has no impact on the economy, because the things you will be able to purchase from it are things that are outside of the economy. There's no in-game mechanism to unlock account perks. And there will be no mechanism to profit from the cash shop once it's implemented.

Whenever anyone provides a 40-page answer to a simple Yes/No question I have to smile... image

TL:DR - "We don't currently have any resellable items in the Cash Shop. However, we may add some in the future, as long as WE feel it won't harm the game play."

The phrase "in the future" is open-ended, it could happen before launch or two years after launch, or perhaps even never. I'm willing to bet that the likelihood of it happening at all is directly related to the success of the currently planned monetization. If Plan A doesn't pay the bills, then Plan B has to be executed.

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Whenever anyone provides a 40-page answer to a simple Yes/No question I have to smile... image

TL:DR - "We don't currently have any resellable items in the Cash Shop. However, we may add some in the future, as long as WE feel it won't harm the game play."

The phrase "in the future" is open-ended, it could happen before launch or two years after launch, or perhaps even never. I'm willing to bet that the likelihood of it happening at all is directly related to the success of the currently planned monetization. If Plan A doesn't pay the bills, then Plan B has to be executed.

Typical asshat reply from this forum. The guy works for the game and is trying to respond and you have to give him attitude?