Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Landmark: "This is *not* the final form of combat." ~ Dave Georgeson

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a short, but meaningful, post on the Landmark forum, Dave "Smokejumper" Georgeson acknowledges that the team should have better prepared players for combat in Landmark. Choosing, he says, to get input from the community releasing it in its early form without that preparation was a mistake.

I've been reading a bunch of the threads here. Reactions are pretty understandable and predictable. We should have done a better job of preparing you for what you are seeing here.

These are the first steps into combat and dungeoneering right now. This is in no way the final shape of combat in Landmark *or* EverQuest Next.

You are seeing *basic* foundational elements here. Nobody on the design team likes circle-strafe as the core combat mechanic. That's just how the system works right now until we get more tuning and more AI into the system.

We had the option to wait until the new year (February sometime) to release what you have now, or we could release it now and listen to opinions and discussion over the holidays.

We chose the latter, of course, because we've always opted to listen to you and your feedback rather than work in a vacuum.

But this is *not* the final form of combat.

That being said, we are not returning to hard-locks either. The final form of combat and dungeoneering will be built on the bones you see today, but it's going to get a lot better, more tactical, and more fun.

Combat will improve just as the rest of the game has improved since Alpha. You'll see.

This is still Closed Beta and this game is still in development. More to come!

Read the community comments on the Landmark forum.

Not sure what the kerfuffle is about? Check out the combat video released by SOE below:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    And we wait some more.
  • Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    I'd rather wait and get more polish than have everything rushed out the door....like almost all the MMO releases within the last 10 years.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Have they done any performance tuning on this yet? Would like to plop my kids into this one, but last time I tried beta I was getting like 5fps. ATI HD4650 card, so it's not very good at all, but I thought they'd at least tune for older dedicated cards. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• cprikcprik Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Considering that the heroic movement system will be in, and taking notice of how spammy games that lets you move around alot can get, i really hope the majority of the spells and abilities will be rooted. Allowing every class to be so mobile diminishes some of the dephth. Ex. Im a wizard, and im up against a warrior, that means i do not want to be close to him. So by using my skills tactically i should be able to keep my distance yet cast those hardhitting fireballs that take some time to cast. Some classes should ofc be mobile, like the tempest or a rogue/assasin. But please, do not make this a bunnyhop jump spam fest PLUS the heroic movement. There need to be some limits!
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    It shows promise, but it is looking much like Terra fighting style mixed in with some Monster hunter (which is not a bad thing).

So far, even in this very basic form, Landmark is looking to be a good stable builder game, with some combat.

With that said, I can see how tedium can build in this game. Waiting on the inside (and sidelines) to see how this one progresses.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Vutar
    So what he's saying is, even though action style combat has failed in every MMORPG to date, the EQnext team refuses to acknowledge this and will charge ahead into the abyss. Okay, I guess.

Actually what I think he's saying is:

Combat is pretty basic and raw at the moment. Instead of spending a lot of time and resources building it behind closed doors and finding out you guys don't like it. We would rather build it openly and get everyones input on what works and on what sucks.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Common, dont tell me this is a surprise to anyone...

Landmark is their testing grounds, they use the place to test things one step at a time...

in my opinion, they realise that to make an 8 button combat system interesting, that can only be done with a real combo system...

------------------------------------------------------------

EQ next will/must be aiming for an advanced combo skillsystem

For example, a weapon has 4 slots.... hold it short, it makes an attack and adds an element to the combo, there is 4 builders ...  hold button long, there is a more powerfull spell or attack cast.    a combo consists out of 3 actions, giving each weapon 4x4x4+4=68 options....

the combos will feel like melee combos, or spellweaving... and people will love it

on top of that there will offcourse be the 4 free choosable skills

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• lordshroom420lordshroom420 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Dude is that it really ? I have  played Eq and eq2 for awhile now ! why go backwards on Graphics, Sounds, Spell particles ETC?

not troll'n just thought it would have been better then getting in a time machine and going back ten years [such as vanguard] why so cartoon 'e ? See how well it's working for wildstar .. Sad Face! 2015 and we can't do better graphics then Toontown?

Damn it! I Love EQ  p.s. Who asked for this??????

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i am waiting excitingly...but at some point you gotta move forward, you gotta fulfil on promisses, you gotta show stuff that matters, stuff thats innovative and was promissed...you cant always hide behind landmark and "its not final"... so better get to it

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    It's kind of hilarious how few people seem to remember that a beta is for testing incomplete content/systems rather than it being a marketing demo. While I think SOE does sometimes jump the gun with things and release them a bit too early, I'm a fan of how they're actually treating a beta...as a beta. Refreshing after so many years of public marketing betas.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

no offense but this is utter garbage imo

slapping a "EQ" tag on every idea they come up with is simply lazy..

also a lil off topic why are they making mmorpgs look like something out of sat. morning cartoons ..i guess we know what the mass devs are trying to target now days because its much easyer to please them with simple mechanics

this pvp style is such fail-sauce and true mmo's are slowly flowing thru the gutter to the sewers

ppl are gonna say well they could change it! its not written in stone! they are still working on improving it!

naw..sry..much wont change imo i dont see them scrapping this whole idea that they have already spent tons of money on

this and EQnext gets a huge ...

from me

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    So what he's saying is, even though action style combat has failed in every MMORPG to date, the EQnext team refuses to acknowledge this and will charge ahead into the abyss. Okay, I guess.

Yep. I can see why they want the movement, but the refusal to even allow optional targeting seems like design hubris. All he actually said was:

"The combat will be based on what you have seen but will have (Hype + Vague Positive Description - Details), and we should have said that at first because our defenders are unarmed in forum engagements."

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SBFord
    In a short, but meaningful, post on the Landmark forum, Dave "Smokejumper" Georgeson acknowledges that the team should have better prepared players for combat in Landmark. Choosing, he says, to get input from the community releasing it in its early form without that preparation was a mistake.

I've been reading a bunch of the threads here. Reactions are pretty understandable and predictable. We should have done a better job of preparing you for what you are seeing here.

These are the first steps into combat and dungeoneering right now. This is in no way the final shape of combat in Landmark *or* EverQuest Next.

You are seeing *basic* foundational elements here. Nobody on the design team likes circle-strafe as the core combat mechanic. That's just how the system works right now until we get more tuning and more AI into the system.

We had the option to wait until the new year (February sometime) to release what you have now, or we could release it now and listen to opinions and discussion over the holidays.

We chose the latter, of course, because we've always opted to listen to you and your feedback rather than work in a vacuum.

But this is *not* the final form of combat.

That being said, we are not returning to hard-locks either. The final form of combat and dungeoneering will be built on the bones you see today, but it's going to get a lot better, more tactical, and more fun.

Combat will improve just as the rest of the game has improved since Alpha. You'll see.

This is still Closed Beta and this game is still in development. More to come!
    Read the community comments on the Landmark forum.
    Not sure what the kerfuffle is about? Check out the combat video released by SOE below:

Where does he use the word "mistake"?.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by mnemic666
    It's kind of hilarious how few people seem to remember that a beta is for testing incomplete content/systems rather than it being a marketing demo. While I think SOE does sometimes jump the gun with things and release them a bit too early, I'm a fan of how they're actually treating a beta...as a beta. Refreshing after so many years of public marketing betas.

that argument gets sooooooooooooooo old... it comes up every time...and in 95% of the releases in recent years it simply was not valid...

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

that argument gets sooooooooooooooo old... it comes up every time...and in 95% of the releases in recent years it simply was not valid...

EQ Next is obviously in that 5% since it was said they would be building the game out as time went on since day 1

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

People don't understand what Beta testing is really all about. That's not surprising since neither do MMO developers. By the time something is in Beta, it's pretty much WYSIWYG except to fix game breakers and add polish. You don't go back to the drawing board in Beta. You don't re design concepts. 

No, this is a HUGE failure. The combat system failed and now they need to back pedal. Well, I suppose by now, they've seen what happens when they try to force stuff on players that doesn't work. And I guess I can't blame SOE for not coming out and admitting they fumbled. But it also means there is a lot more going on here. I don't think this game is turning out quite like they envisioned. I wouldn't hold my breath on EQN being released any time in the next few years. But it's better to wait for a better game. Problem is, if they wait too long, it will end up being for nothing becausee their innovative edge will slip away the longer it takes.

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

Wow... the game looks so cartoony. I mean Wildstar looks cartoony but thats how its supposed to look lol.

I don't get the feel at all of the former EQ games from this. It looks like a cartoon edition with bad fighting mechanics out of Black Desert.

Considering John Smedley is involved they aren't going to listen anyway.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

People don't understand what Beta testing is really all about. That's not surprising since neither do MMO developers. By the time something is in Beta, it's pretty much WYSIWYG except to fix game breakers and add polish. You don't go back to the drawing board in Beta. You don't re design concepts. 

No, this is a HUGE failure. The combat system failed and now they need to back pedal. Well, I suppose by now, they've seen what happens when they try to force stuff on players that doesn't work. And I guess I can't blame SOE for not coming out and admitting they fumbled. But it also means there is a lot more going on here. I don't think this game is turning out quite like they envisioned. I wouldn't hold my breath on EQN being released any time in the next few years. But it's better to wait for a better game. Problem is, if they wait too long, it will end up being for nothing becausee their innovative edge will slip away the longer it takes.

They had barley even begun to work on EQ: Next when they first announced it, you realize that MMORPGs sometimes take up to 5 years to be fully developed? I'm all against action combat as a forced choice (as an option it's actually fun at times), but jeeze people... The one time SOE seems to be taking time their on a game (to the point where they created another game for mechanics that they wish to add to the main game to be tested) and they receive so much hate. If it had been released this year everyone would be saying it was rushed.

SOE can't seem to win no matter what! 

Smile

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

That gets used incorrectly during marketing betas, you're very right. It comes up in the months leading up to the games launch, a time when systems are pretty much completely in place, content is finished and being polished, and developers are primarily looking to gather player metrics/bug fix/drive hype.

This is not a situation like that. This is a game that, while monetized (something I don't agree with), is still very much in an early beta state. The game is still having major systems and features added to it as it's very incomplete. This is very much the kind of state you find games in early betas in, it's just that games in this state are in closed testing with strict NDA's so nobody hears about them. 

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Hammer strikes Nail Head for over 9000 damage!

Nail Head dies.

You gain 1,000,000 experience points!

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by lordshroom420

Dude is that it really ? I have  played Eq and eq2 for awhile now ! why go backwards on Graphics, Sounds, Spell particles ETC?

not troll'n just thought it would have been better then getting in a time machine and going back ten years [such as vanguard] why so cartoon 'e ? See how well it's working for wildstar .. Sad Face! 2015 and we can't do better graphics then Toontown?

I have been asking this question since the cartoons were unveiled via a live stream.  I guess you cannot have a world you can build without going cartoon.

2014 we have dual, quad and more cpu's and vid cards with massive amounts of memory and yet game designers decide to go back to Saturday morning cartoons to create a game.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by gylnne

I have been asking this question since the cartoons were unveiled via a live stream.  I guess you cannot have a world you can build without going cartoon.

2014 we have dual, quad and more cpu's and vid cards with massive amounts of memory and yet game designers decide to go back to Saturday morning cartoons to create a game.

It's because it's all about the $$$ now.

In the past, game companies made games because they wanted to make games, making money was high up on the list but it was at the very highest 2nd place.  1st on the list was make this cool game we want to make.

Now, game companies are controlled by suits from conglomerates like EA, Activision, etc.  Who go in and priority number 1 is not making an inspired, artistic, cool game, but "how can we milk every possible dime from the players".

In that vein, horrible cartoony graphics not only run on more systems, thus expanding your potential customer base, but they also appeal to a broader audience, so they can get not only the adults who dont mind the cartoony, but maybe the 12 and 13 or younger kids of those adults who will beg for an account, etc etc etc.

Why do you think minecraft was so popular,  My roommate, who is NOT a gamer, effing loves that game, and why, because it runs on her 5 year old $400 (at the time) el crappo laptop.  She is not going to go out and spend $500 or $600 on a PC so she can play "proper" games.

Sadly, the game industry is a complete joke now.

Consoles are crap, rather than pushing the enveloped they've succumbed to the same BS, and as a result use cheap, mid/low end hardware.

PC's are still awesome hardware wise, but only a handful of developers are willing to keep trying to push the envelope.  Most developers are just trying to milk the cash.

Its a sad state of affairs.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Ps4- have anything to do with this?
    Originally posted by gylnne

has to do with 2 things - a) voxels for destructablity and b) longevity

cartoonish looks just age much better thats a fact - and you can creat much more expressive faces...so i think its a wise decision

• Zarf42Zarf42 Member Posts: 250
    For some reason I can't take a man with a ponytail seriously.