Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developers ban players on steam if they criticize the game

Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Sad to see how developers ban players on steam even though they have adapted to the rules demanded.

Dont use the "carebear" word so lets play along. Check i wont and didnt.

So after adapting to the rules demanded by developers i get a message that say "

You have been banned from all Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues discussions until 23 Dec @ 4:26pm.

You were banned by a Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues developer.

Reason: "You are being needlessly confrontational and hostile to other users. You have received more complaints than all other users combined. Consider this your first warning. If we have to ban you again it will be permanent."

And no example whatsoever of this hostility and confrontational behaviour was given as an example. They ban if they dont like what you write.

This is very much as it was on the SotA forums, if you dont become a fanbois and instead express concerns and deliver critic towards the game then you might get banned for no reason. Developers will seek out a special reason just for you.

Comments

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

And its true some my friends get banned to say realy true about game 

its why dont have any faith in this game

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Aragon100

Sad to see how developers ban players on steam even though they have adapted to the rules demanded.

So after adapting to the rules demanded by developers i get a message that say "

You have been banned from all Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues discussions until 23 Dec @ 4:26pm.

Reason: "You are being needlessly confrontational and hostile to other users. You have received more complaints than all other users combined. Consider this your first warning. If we have to ban you again it will be permanent."

And no example whatsoever of this hostility and confrontational behaviour was given as an example. They ban if they dont like what you write.

This is very much as it was on the SotA forums, if you dont become a fanbois and instead express concerns and deliver critic towards the game then you might get banned for no reason. Developers will seek out a special reason just for you.

I think that explains everything. It's not them that is the problem, it's you.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Harafnir

I'm going with Harafnir on this one.

Oh sure, I could list things that need work (isn't this a pre-alpha anyway?) and will probably get work. Though I still imagine one will have to play this game knowing it's an "indy game" (fine with me).

However, I strongly suspect that if you have to point out the above highlighted bit then I bet there are other "niceties" in your lexicon of criticism.

Many players seem not to know how to actually criticize something and instead their criticisms devolve into rants and attacks. 

@OP: your issue is not restraining from using the word "carebear" but not restraining the attitude that is behind it.

Now, if every criticism on their forum is banned then "sure" you might have a point. But if there are negatives and negatives put in a constructive way then maybe the problem really is you?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Harafnir

I'm going with Harafnir on this one.

Oh sure, I could list things that need work (isn't this a pre-alpha anyway?) and will probably get work. Though I still imagine one will have to play this game knowing it's an "indy game" (fine with me).

However, I strongly suspect that if you have to point out the above highlighted bit then I bet there are other "niceties" in your lexicon of criticism.

Many players seem not to know how to actually criticize something and instead their criticisms devolve into rants and attacks. 

@OP: your issue is not restraining from using the word "carebear" but not restraining the attitude that is behind it.

Now, if every criticism on their forum is banned then "sure" you might have a point. But if there are negatives and negatives put in a constructive way then maybe the problem really is you?

They didnt gave a example whatsoever and i had as i wrote adapted to the rules.

This is developers banning cause they dont like what you write.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Going by how toxic ALL game forums, without exception, are these days, it seems to me that a lot of self-entitled asshats believe paying money entitles them to abuse people and the abused have to take it. I wouldn't be nearly as gun shy with the banhammer as most developers are.

I think we're just about due for requiring real names or permanent number IDs like they do in S Korea. It'd make it easy to track those people who just need to be banned from all games and all gaming forums... screw free speech and democracy. I don't want to have to even see what passes for thought in the mind of some game playing sociopaths... but that's just me :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Don't be mad.  Be proud.  More complaints than all other users combined?  That is impressive!

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

The sad part is you probably did get more complaints then everyone else combined. Fanboi's will report you just for saying anything negative no matter how constructive the opinion is, that's how deluded they are.

Happens often here so the problem would be infinitely worse on their site.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Never really understood these threads. OP went off on a d!ck parade and got banned. Try to be more polite next time maybe?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I strongly suspect I could find the bits in your postings that brought their objections.

Though don't go reposting anything here as that might also get you a warning.

edit: for example, here is the end of a post, a person with complaints. This has been up for 18 hours and no ban yet.

His entire post is a list of complaints.

===> i just quit, angered as never by the game.

Two weeks ago i was thinking of investing a lot of real cash in pledges.
    I'm so glad i did not !
    I got so bored by Sota that i had not played it since last saturday night.
    I was expecting at least some improvements that would have made the game more user-friendly with R13

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Person banned for behaviour, comes here to complain.  Rinse, repeat.
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Forums very often resemble some country with dictatorship, because the people in charge are free to make whatever rules they please.

I don't even bother putting criticism on the secret world forums for example, because so far I've received 2 half year bans for posts that didn't personally attack anybody, they were just more honest and blunt than most people's feedback. Most companies are lagging a 100 years behind on real world rights and freedom.

They purposefully put vague rules like "baiting/trolling" "questioning moderation", "reposting moderated material" (even though i completely removed the part that caused the post to be removed in the first place) and "to discuss funcom's position (wtf is that even supposed to mean), send your feedback to support.funcom.com" or whatever, so that if they really want to ban you, they can always find a reason to. Apparently discussing what a pvp developer who got fired, did wrong, is discussing funcom's position, and any posts on that topic will be removed until the posters stop posting or until they get enough warnings and eventually get banned.

• jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115

I strongly suspect I could find the bits in your postings that brought their objections.

edit: for example, here is the end of a post, a person with complaints. This has been up for 18 hours and no ban yet.

I'm so glad i did not !
    I was expecting at least some improvements that would have made the game more user-friendly with R13

I don't see anything wrong with the post above.  He has some complaints about his experience.  He didn't make any personal attacks.  He didn't make any legal accusations against the devs.  He didn't use any banned words.

There's a ton of heated debates and criticism on the official forums.  But if you cross the line into personal attacks, you'll get banned.  It's really that simple.

Originally posted by Thebeasttt

The sad part is you probably did get more complaints then everyone else combined. Fanboi's will report you just for saying anything negative no matter how constructive the opinion is, that's how deluded they are.

Happens often here so the problem would be infinitely worse on their site.

Yeah it seems so, they put so much money in the game and get all shaky when someone inform potential pledgers the truth about the game.

Originally posted by jtripper

I'm so glad i did not !

I don't see anything wrong with the post above.  He has some complaints about his experience.  He didn't make any personal attacks.  He didn't make any legal accusations against the devs.  He didn't use any banned words.

There's a ton of heated debates and criticism on the official forums.  But if you cross the line into personal attacks, you'll get banned.  It's really that simple.

No personal attacks whatsoever from my part so the reason for banning must be something developers made up themself.

Thats also why they couldnt give any example of any sort.

I'm so glad i did not !

No personal attacks whatsoever from my part so the reason for banning must be something developers made up themself.

Oh don't play dumb.  You know what you did and I'm not going to bother pointing those posts out to you.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

I'd add to the "carebear" discussion that the term isn't used anymore the way it was originally intended. "Carebears" from the late 90s/early ots were "players on pvp servers who disliked or even complained about pvp in given situations". Don't like being farmed while you do some important epic quest? Carebear. Don't like the level 45 guy ganking level 11 noobies? Carebear. High level pkk on some mission to save people in pvp from pvp? Carebear.

It's something else now, a generic term for anyone who doesn't like pvp or just some term to throw around. It used to mean something, like "troll", but now people just say it to discredit someone else. "Oh hey, I heard someone say this before, I think I'll say it! Look, mom, I said it! hahaha!"

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I'm so glad i did not !

Isn't referring to someone as a carebear sort of an attack? Albeit I don't see why anyone would care, but the definition is

"is an often derogatory term used to describe players who prefer to refrain from PvP combat. "

Edit: Post above seems to address my comment. Talk about timing!

Originally posted by Adjuvant1

I'd add to the "carebear" discussion that the term isn't used anymore the way it was originally intended. "Carebears" from the late 90s/early ots were "players on pvp servers who disliked or even complained about pvp in given situations". Don't like being farmed while you do some important epic quest? Carebear. Don't like the level 45 guy ganking level 11 noobies? Carebear. High level pkk on some mission to save people in pvp from pvp? Carebear.

It's something else now, a generic term for anyone who doesn't like pvp or just some term to throw around. It used to mean something, like "troll", but now people just say it to discredit someone else. "Oh hey, I heard someone say this before, I think I'll say it! Look, mom, I said it! hahaha!"

I personally think "carebear" is a harmless word.  Used to constructively categorize a casual player, someone who needs more hand holding, guidance, etc. seems fine with me.  But when used as an offensive attack?  I don't care but a lot of people get butt hurt over it.  Personal attacks should be banned, so they simply lumped in carebear as a banned word since the more vocal community used it far too often to attack casual players.  A harmless word became the battle cry for launching attacks.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Official forums can ban for any reason they like, one reason I never hang out on them.

But understand, they really don't provide forums to get your criticism, and it is not in their interest to provide it for you, it is more of a marketing tool.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by angerbeaver

Isn't referring to someone as a carebear sort of an attack? Albeit I don't see why anyone would care, but the definition is

"is an often derogatory term used to describe players who prefer to refrain from PvP combat. "

Edit: Post above seems to address my comment. Talk about timing!

You must be a MMORPG.com mod.

The thought process went something like, "this could sort of kind of in a loose sense be misconstrued as an attack against the game i love. Ban him. "

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1

I personally think "carebear" is a harmless word.  Used to constructively categorize a casual player, someone who needs more hand holding, guidance, etc. seems fine with me.  But when used as an offensive attack?  I don't care but a lot of people get butt hurt over it.  Personal attacks should be banned, so they simply lumped in carebear as a banned word since the more vocal community used it far too often to attack casual players.  A harmless word became the battle cry for launching attacks.

Yeh, well, alot of things have changed. The trinity is now "tank, heal, dps". Dps? Everyone does dps. It's "cc" or crowd control. I blame crap like this on reddit in general, but also on clueless mmo commentators who spend very little time being actual gamers and more time paying attention to how many hits they get on youtube. I physically cringe every time I see Murphy on this site screw up gamer vocabulary, like how the "arpg" has become an "ammo" but everyone listens to him and emulates him because... he seems to know what he's talking about.

Maybe you call me a jaded purist or just an anal jerk, but this is a pretty integral aspect of what is destroying the mmo genre. MOAR youtube hits. MOAR advertisements. MOAR money from unsuspecting fledgeling gamers. Cool motto, bros. Do us a favor and just go work for Cryptic.

Here's a clue for you: if you're going to come here and try to bullshit us about how you never insulted anyone at Steam, maybe use a name that doesn't have "Aragon" in it instead of [B@D]Aragon? Just a suggestion to help you lie more effectively.

"Carebears have took over SotA and Chris the one that design the combat system is the biggest carebear of them all, he is like a little carebear devil sitting on Richard shoulder whispering all the bad design choices. Richard should do himself a huge favor and kick this carebear from the team, he is destroying this game before it is even out. How Starr can accept this carebear version of PvP is above me.

Richard tricked many old UO PvP players to pledge for this WoW clone."

"There is alot of that coming from the fanbois."

"Raph Koster that was the genious behind UO combat system is not arround.

They sure would need him though since it is amateurs doing this one."

"Since developers dont like a certain word i avoid using it and have done so since they set their standard.

So your wrong, i havent insulted anyone after developers set their standard for this forum.
    My motive is to tell the truth about this game.
    Fanbois not telling the truth cause they want to trick players to pledge for something it isnt is a really good motivator."

"And while your at it learn to do math cause the support is +55% at the moment which make the difference 10% not 16"

"Youre the one making no sense and seem to have a reading disorder."

"That word is no insult. SotA developers think so but i dont. It's a commonly used word for a certain playtype. But as you can see i accept there rules and call them trammies instead."

Oh so clever, no one could possibly ever figure out that when you say "trammies" you mean carebears... woohoo you win on a technicality...or did you? Your ban should sort of make you wonder...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Here's a clue for you: if you're going to come here and try to bullshit us about how you never insulted anyone at Steam, maybe use a name that doesn't have "Aragon" in it instead of [B@D]Aragon? Just a suggestion to help you lie more effectively.

"Carebears have took over SotA and Chris the one that design the combat system is the biggest carebear of them all, he is like a little carebear devil sitting on Richard shoulder whispering all the bad design choices. Richard should do himself a huge favor and kick this carebear from the team, he is destroying this game before it is even out. How Starr can accept this carebear version of PvP is above me.

"Since developers dont like a certain word i avoid using it and have done so since they set their standard.

So your wrong, i havent insulted anyone after developers set their standard for this forum.
    Fanbois not telling the truth cause they want to trick players to pledge for something it isnt is a really good motivator."

"And while your at it learn to do math cause the support is +55% at the moment which make the difference 10% not 16"

"That word is no insult. SotA developers think so but i dont. It's a commonly used word for a certain playtype. But as you can see i accept there rules and call them trammies instead."

Oh so clever, no one could possibly ever figure out that when you say "trammies" you mean carebears... woohoo you win on a technicality...or did you? Your ban should sort of make you wonder...

What's sad is that you think any of that is ban worthy.......

Originally posted by Thebeasttt
    Originally posted by Iselin

What's sad is that you think any of that is ban worthy.......

What part of "No personal attacks whatsoever from my part..." do you not understand?

What's truly sad is that an alledged adult thinks developers can be insulted at will and they have to take it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SirmakiSirmaki Member UncommonPosts: 118

LOL, well duh. They didn't like what you wrote because a lot of other players didn't like what you wrote. MORE that ALL the other users combined.

What's happening here is you are trying to twist history around to make it their fault. You say you complied with the rules because you stopped violating ONE rule. You then apparently continued to harass other players. I mean think on that a second. 

You didn't have the most complaints against you, you didn't have as many as #2 and #3 combined...more than all the other complaints period.

You should feel lucky they didn't permaban you. If you were told not to use the word carebear (PS: that's the proper grammar) then it wasn't the first time they contacted you.

I think you need some more time spent on this earth in order to more fully develop your emotional strength and skills in dealing with others.

This discussion has been closed.